Sorry, we do not want to make good diplomatic decisions.

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

kenright

Sorry, we do not want to make good diplomatic decisions.

Post by kenright »

Out of curiosity, beyond "hurr durr we don't want to rely on others even a little bit" is there a reason why an empire that I am ridiculously friendly with doesn't want to sign a protectorate treaty? Y'know, trading valuable resources, free trade agreement, enormous amounts of trade, similar governments, relatively respectable, treaties with their friends... Not to mention a military strength that is quite frankly terrifying in comparison to their own. Its not like they have much to lose from it all.

Are the "we envy your strength" and "we covet your everything" that powerful?
jpwrunyan

RE: Sorry, we do not want to make good diplomatic decisions.

Post by jpwrunyan »

Quantify "ridiculously friendly" because I think you may just not be ridiculously friendly enough.
Giving away tons of tech for free, however, will probably do the trick.

As an aside, it would be nice if one of the diplomatic actions was "sign this treaty or... WE DECLARE WAR!". Like Admiral Perry in space.
kenright

Post by kenright »

+ 55 / +60, that realm.

Ahh to have the ability to threaten war in exchange for better trading opportunities. We have to get our cheap tea and silk y'know, and we already made half your population addicted to opium, so those "trade restrictions" better go away or else.

The British Empire - The ORIGINAL drug pushers.
Bingeling

Post by Bingeling »

+55 or a bit more is not that high at all is it? I may be off, though, but think "extremely high" should be triple digit an then some.
kenright

Post by kenright »

I would consider that pretty high, and well within the area of "uhh errmmm meeeeyyyybeeee we should consider allowing the empire with a fleet six times the size of ours and vastly more technologically advanced to enter into a protective treaty with us."
jpwrunyan

Post by jpwrunyan »

Well, I agree with Bingeling, I just think it has to be even higher. I only get successful protectorates and such when I basically give away all my technology to other empires. Not saying that is smart, but it is what it is. Honestly, the only time I ever do this is if the Shakturi show up. But usually I play without them in my game. Easier to just bring other empires into your fold by conquest anyway. Who needs friends when you have lazers. Also more satisfying. YMMV

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”