Forum Problem?

Post bug reports and ask for help with other issues here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Footslogger

Forum Problem?

Post by Footslogger »

When ever I post a new thread, a second duplicate is created a few seconds apart from the first one. I have already used Kaspersky PURE 3.0 to search for scans and found nothing. Is the problem on your end? Please view my posts in the War in the Pacific AE part of the forum. My user name is Footslogger.
JocMeister

RE: Forum Problem?

Post by JocMeister »

Sounds like a browser problem to me!
Sardaukar

Post by Sardaukar »

I think it's browser problem too. Not seen it happen to others, including me.
"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

Footslogger

Post by Footslogger »

Your absolutely right. When I was done typing this post and then hit the OK button, I got an error on my screen said 'Internet Explorer Error'. But the thread was posted despite that error. So what do I need to do to fix this problem then?
Sardaukar

Post by Sardaukar »

To use Chrome? [8D]
"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

witpqs

Post by witpqs »

ORIGINAL: Sardaukar

To use Chrome? [8D]
+1
Footslogger

Post by Footslogger »

Well here's what I have: Winows XP Home32, Internet Explorer 8, MSN webpage as default, I use MSN to search. I don't have chrome because of all the security breaks. Now I have been using MSN web search for years on this website. It must be something else.
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

Security on Chrome is much better than on the version of IE that you are using.
nashvillen

Post by nashvillen »

ORIGINAL: witpqs

Security on Chrome is much better than on the version of IE that you are using.
+1
Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

ORIGINAL: Footslogger

Well here's what I have: Winows XP Home32, Internet Explorer 8, MSN webpage as default, I use MSN to search. I don't have chrome because of all the security breaks. Now I have been using MSN web search for years on this website. It must be something else.

Have you reset your forum cookies? Log out and re-log in.
The Moose
Cpt Sherwood

Post by Cpt Sherwood »

IE 8 is very vulnerable. I would try Chrome or Firefox. At least do an update on IE.
“Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity.” ― Lucius Annaeus Seneca
Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

ORIGINAL: Cpt Sherwood

IE 8 is very vulnerable. I would try Chrome or Firefox. At least do an update on IE.

His problem just cropped up and he's on the same browser as before. It's not brand of browser, guys.
The Moose
Footslogger

Post by Footslogger »

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58

I did as you said Bullwinkle, but I am still getting duplicates. Should I delete all my cookies?
Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58

I did as you said Bullwinkle, but I am still getting duplicates. Should I delete all my cookies?

It would be enough to delete Matrix's cokkies, but I don't know their names. You may have cookies in the folder you want to keep as well.

If you don't mind losing them you could wipe and re-start the log in. It's no guarantee that would fix it, but if this problem is not seen on other forums it's a good bet it's the cookies.
The Moose
geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

[&:] I had one of those viruses where they pretend to be FBI and lock the computer. The tek who fixed it said it got in through Google Chrome (which I had loaded on my machine) even though I don't use it and use IE. Any comments?

Oh, and that double post thing has happened to me but only after I get an error saying it failed when it hadn't, and I repost.

witpqs

Post by witpqs »

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

[&:] I had one of those viruses where they pretend to be FBI and lock the computer. The tek who fixed it said it got in through Google Chrome (which I had loaded on my machine) even though I don't use it and use IE. Any comments?

Oh, and that double post thing has happened to me but only after I get an error saying it failed when it hadn't, and I repost.
If you did not use Chrome it did not get in through Chrome.

All software has various vulnerabilities at various times. Strongly supported software gets patched quickly after a vulnerability is discovered.

Some software runs even when you are not actively using it. Just an example, there was a vulnerability not too terribly long ago in Windows where a remote support mechanism could be used by a culprit, even though the user had not turned it on.

Chrome does not have anything running if you don't use it. Maybe it was on his list of software that was, either in practice or in theory, vulnerable to something akin to what your PC was infected with. But, if you (or someone else) did not use Chrome then the infection did not come through there.

No software is perfect and I do not want you to think that Google's Chrome is perfect. It is pretty good, but not perfect. However, what that guy told you sounds totally wrong, given what you said.

Return to “Tech Support”