Matrix Games Forums

Deal of the Week: Command Ops goes half price!New Fronts are opening up for Commander: The Great WarCharacters of World War 1Sign of for the Pike and Shot Beta!More Games are Coming to Steam! Return to the Moon on October 31st! Commander: The Great War iPad Wallpapers Generals of the Great WarDeal of the Week Panzer CorpsNew Strategy Titles Join the Family
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

How is the AI?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series >> How is the AI? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
How is the AI? - 3/23/2013 6:14:50 AM   
BrotherJayne

Just started in to decisive campaigns, and I'm enjoying it quite a bit, especially the way the AI is smart enough to seek and evade encirclement.

How good and reactive/proactive is the AI in ATG? I'm considering making the purchase, but would be playing mostly single player
Post #: 1
RE: How is the AI? - 3/23/2013 11:14:14 AM   
Jafele

To my mind AI is the weakest point of ATG . However it´s an excellent game for multiplayer and also has a complete random map generator. If you´re only interested in single player games I would wait for the next release of Advanced Tactics or try with Command Ops, a very good wargame with a powerful non-cheated AI: http://www.matrixgames.com/products/377/details/Command.Ops:.Battles.from.the.Bulge.

< Message edited by Jafele -- 3/23/2013 12:27:51 PM >

(in reply to BrotherJayne)
Post #: 2
RE: How is the AI? - 3/23/2013 2:51:06 PM   
Webizen

Jafele comments are essentially correct regarding the ATG AI being the game's weaker point. That said, it is a far greater challenge to create an "intelligent" AI that can cope with the random game/wargame construction kit nature that is ATG. As is, it does an OK job and there are four AI levels (-AI, AI, AI+ and AI++). Believe it or not, the -AI level was added after the game's initial release because some players thought the standard AI was too hard (it isn't). I continue to play both AI games and multi-player games. ATG really shines when you play other human players.

Tac2i

(in reply to Jafele)
Post #: 3
RE: How is the AI? - 3/23/2013 4:37:36 PM   
Josh

Like Webizen says, the AI does an OK job, I've seen worse, a lot worse. The AI is pretty good at manuevering and evading and enveloping your forces... till a certain point that is. The AI *will* build Flak when you build planes, it will also do some stupid things. It has problems with the naval aspect of the game. Having said that, I only play against the AI, and have done so for many years now, it's no real challenge for me now anymore but I still love the game so I keep playing it.
So yeah the AI is as decent as they come. You probably will get clobbered the first few times, AI+ can be a challenge, even for me, AI++ is boring because the AI swamps you with units like a Zerg rush.

(in reply to Webizen)
Post #: 4
RE: How is the AI? - 3/25/2013 6:17:13 PM   
mgaffn1

quote:

AI++ is boring because the AI swamps you with units like a Zerg rush

+1

(in reply to Josh)
Post #: 5
RE: How is the AI? - 3/25/2013 8:19:29 PM   
Twotribes

That's because it gets 200 percent production.

(in reply to mgaffn1)
Post #: 6
RE: How is the AI? - 3/25/2013 8:37:44 PM   
Jeffrey H.

And free strat transport and free this and free that. The + levels just swamp it with more points to squander. I have to say, I play only mods any more.

"Games lubricate the body and the mind" Ben Franklin.

(in reply to Twotribes)
Post #: 7
RE: How is the AI? - 3/25/2013 10:54:15 PM   
Twotribes

All levels of computer AI get free production of factories. They only need Engineers for road building which they do a piss poor job of building. I suspect since they routinely build more factories they possibly have raw for they get free Raw as well. Not to mention Oil to fly those 100 aircraft stacks they make.

(in reply to Jeffrey H.)
Post #: 8
RE: How is the AI? - 3/26/2013 4:35:15 PM   
Josh

quote:

ORIGINAL: Twotribes

All levels of computer AI get free production of factories. They only need Engineers for road building which they do a piss poor job of building. I suspect since they routinely build more factories they possibly have raw for they get free Raw as well. Not to mention Oil to fly those 100 aircraft stacks they make.

You know what, I can't remember seeing that in the first installment of AT, it seems the more complex the game gets the more difficult it gets for the AI. I can't remember seeing stacks of 100 planes, or 100 Staff in the early years of the game. With the latest patch the AI unit composition has become better, a bit better, still no experienced human player would make such units. So that's why I hope the implementation of unit templates (if and when) might persuade the AI to build more balanced units.

(in reply to Twotribes)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series >> How is the AI? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI