Matrix Games Forums

Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm gets huge update and a Steam release!Battle Academy 2 opens up a new front!Flashpoint Campaigns Featured on weekly Streaming SessionFrontline: The Longest Day - New Screenshots!Deal of the Week: Hannibal Rome and CarthageFlashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm gets Players Edition!To End All Wars gets its first major patch! Hell is now available!War in the West Wacht am Rhein AAR Deal of the Week Panzer Corps: Allied Corps
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: HITMAN202 versus THEP RO's Sean is welcomed ... Sillyflower is allowed.

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: HITMAN202 versus THEP RO's Sean is welcomed ... Sillyflower is allowed. Page: <<   < prev  13 14 15 [16] 17   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: HITMAN202 versus THEP RO's Sean is welcomed ... Si... - 7/14/2013 7:16:26 PM   
sillyflower

WINTER HAS COME and it will be a long one.

We sing Hitman a Song of Ice and Fire. You have seen the dire wolves in training and now they lead our attacks. There is evidence that IRL Hitman's middle name is Joffrey. He certainly faces a Stark future. Will his SS save him? No - the initials stand for Sell Swords. They will kill women and children for him, but won't risk dying for him.

< Message edited by sillyflower -- 7/15/2013 10:54:47 PM >

web exchange

Post: I am always fearful that when I put this game down on the table and people see the box-art they will think I am some kind of neo-Nazi

Reply: They already know you're a gamer. What other shame can possibly compare?

(in reply to sillyflower)
Post #: 451
RE: HITMAN202 versus THEP RO's Sean is welcomed ... Si... - 7/14/2013 10:35:36 PM   
sillyflower

quote:

ORIGINAL: HITMAN202

WITE is a very fun part of my life that I refuse to make a chore. Some will frown at my slow play and excessive cerebration.

I have a horrible vision of Hitman at his computer doing his impersonation of Kool and the Gang singing:

'Cerebrate good times, come on let's cerebrate'

It's got stuck in my head and I hate disco.

web exchange

Post: I am always fearful that when I put this game down on the table and people see the box-art they will think I am some kind of neo-Nazi

(in reply to HITMAN202)
Post #: 452
RE: HITMAN202 versus THEP RO's Sean is welcomed ... Si... - 7/14/2013 10:37:01 PM   
sillyflower

Back to the game, some stats for those who like them. even some deliberate attack where he did not run fast enough. Quite a few panzer and motorised divisions seen in the front line so we were able to hurt 3 of them. The 2nd combat down was where 2Pz and 1 inf xx were hiding in some light woods.

there were a couple more successful attacks off the bottom of the list - a large increase on previous turns, causing almost 48K casualties for 18K soviet. No paradrops this last turn but 4 German inf divs inc 1 mot flak bn are now in secure pockets. 3 are in the South. Sean is amazing at herding: he must have some sheep dog (I mean shepherd) in his ancestry somewhere.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by sillyflower -- 7/14/2013 10:53:13 PM >

web exchange

Post #: 453
RE: HITMAN202 versus THEP RO's Sean is welcomed ... Si... - 7/15/2013 11:04:32 PM   
sillyflower

Sadly Dr H has no knowledge of Game of Thrones so my earlier post is wasted on him. Just as well as he might have thought mistakenly that I was comparing him to Joffrey.

On the advice of my lawyers, I want to make it clear that there is no similarity between him and Joffrey in intelligence, personality, behaviour or in any way whatsoever.

Hitman is, of course, much more like the Imp. Ooooooooooooooooooooooooooops

web exchange

Post #: 454
RE: HITMAN202 versus THEP RO's Sean is welcomed ... Si... - 7/16/2013 12:56:24 AM   
Flaviusx

Hitman strikes me more as a Ned Stark sort, not any kind of Lannister.

WitE Alpha Tester

Post #: 455
RE: HITMAN202 versus THEP RO's Sean is welcomed ... Si... - 7/16/2013 8:16:02 AM   
sillyflower

Ned as in the well-meaning, honourable but hopeless provincial who is completely out of his depth in in the capital and who is the first major character to be killed?

You may well be right.

< Message edited by sillyflower -- 7/16/2013 8:19:14 AM >

web exchange

(in reply to Flaviusx)
Post #: 456
RE: HITMAN202 versus THEP RO's Sean is welcomed ... Si... - 7/16/2013 7:42:23 PM   
HITMAN202

[image][/image]

Attachment (1)

WITE is a good addiction with no cure.

Post #: 457
RE: HITMAN202 versus THEP RO's Sean is welcomed ... Si... - 7/17/2013 8:51:00 AM   
sillyflower

Brilliant Dr H. The most perceptive post of the whole AAR. We hoped you would never find out.

Sean is indeed R2D2 which is why he hardly posts anything. He has difficulty reaching the keyboard, and when he does he just smashes it. Anyway, he has to spend almost all his time scratching Flavius just behind his ears.

As for me, like my ancestor the Tin Man, I do not have a heart. Unlike him, I don't want one. My logic circuits are all I need.

Now all you have to do is to work out whether the advice Yodaflavius has been giving you is double or triple bluff

< Message edited by sillyflower -- 7/17/2013 8:52:46 AM >

web exchange

(in reply to HITMAN202)
Post #: 458
RE: HITMAN202 versus THEP RO's Sean is welcomed ... Si... - 7/17/2013 10:26:32 PM   
sillyflower

One error by Dr H though. It's C15th century England on steroids. No resemblance to the later centuries. Indeed there was no internal fighting at in c18th though the Scots had to be kicked out once or twice. Hardly fair to call them wildings though.

web exchange

Post #: 459
RE: HITMAN202 versus THEP RO's Sean is welcomed ... Si... - 7/18/2013 9:58:56 PM   
HITMAN202

[image][/image]

Attachment (1)

Post #: 460
RE: HITMAN202 versus THEP RO's Sean is welcomed ... Si... - 7/18/2013 10:01:46 PM   
HITMAN202

[image][/image]

A DEAD, DEAD, DEAD RABBIT

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by HITMAN202 -- 7/18/2013 10:02:48 PM >

(in reply to HITMAN202)
Post #: 461
RE: HITMAN202 versus THEP RO's Sean is welcomed ... Si... - 7/18/2013 10:04:38 PM   
HITMAN202

TURN 28 ... TURN 28 ... TURN 28 ... TURN 28

THE pre-move stats

[image][/image]

Average inf morale a bit over 76

Blizzard casualties 250 K

And 4 divisions (inf)lost already

It's not what I'm doing that is the focus of this turn, but THEPROS incredible play...

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by HITMAN202 -- 7/18/2013 10:07:21 PM >

(in reply to HITMAN202)
Post #: 462
RE: HITMAN202 versus THEP RO's Sean is welcomed ... Si... - 7/18/2013 10:15:20 PM   
HITMAN202

AGN...

Sillyflower is unstoppable

[image][/image]

Attachment (1)

(in reply to HITMAN202)
Post #: 463
RE: HITMAN202 versus THEP RO's Sean is welcomed ... Si... - 7/18/2013 10:18:20 PM   
HITMAN202

South of AGS (still Sillyflower) pushes on

[image][/image]

Attachment (1)

(in reply to HITMAN202)
Post #: 464
RE: HITMAN202 versus THEP RO's Sean is welcomed ... Si... - 7/18/2013 10:20:07 PM   
HITMAN202

The ugly.. 3 new divisions isolated in AGS

[image][/image]

Belphegor's two step (one, then two) and an retreat in an unfortunate direction isolates one

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by HITMAN202 -- 7/18/2013 10:22:48 PM >

(in reply to HITMAN202)
Post #: 465
RE: HITMAN202 versus THEP RO's Sean is welcomed ... Si... - 7/18/2013 10:25:55 PM   
Michael T

The key to the blizzard is Leadership and a L2 fort in non clear terrain. December is bad. Jan gets better. The battle above somewhere that you showed us demonstrates this. Maybe less AP's spent on forts and more on setting up a really good chain of command in the area where you are fighting. But I am loath to critisize. I face my own nightmare soon enough.

'Deus le Volt!'
------------------

(in reply to HITMAN202)
Post #: 466
RE: HITMAN202 versus THEP RO's Sean is welcomed ... Si... - 7/18/2013 10:48:21 PM   
HITMAN202

Then the disaster

[image][/image]

Belphegor's five step. I maybe compounded the problems with a stupid stacking on the hex next to the 3 rd retreat, but I think alea iacta est (by the way I have some interesting references to the fact that Caesar probably did not coin this when he crossed the Rubicon to challenge the Roman Senate.)

The fort row is weak in the south and needs to be further back. Obviously I may be revisiting Odessa. Reserve activation has been nil.

MT, I'll show you my high command after I send my move to THEPROS (still got to make rounds at the hospitals). The modified combat strength of the German infantry divisions in clear terrain is around 8-9 (zero SU's). The median is about 6 and the max as high as the mid twentys (very few.)

It's ugly. Very ugly. But no other AAR has specifically addressed the problems of blizzard. Comments like "run like heck" and "be cautious" are as helpful as telling a pedestrian to put his hands in front of his face to lessen the impact of a speeding car.

But reality may not be kind to me. My WITE skills may be poor.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by HITMAN202 -- 7/18/2013 11:08:07 PM >

(in reply to Michael T)
Post #: 467
RE: HITMAN202 versus THEP RO's Sean is welcomed ... Si... - 7/19/2013 5:18:58 AM   
Pelton

quote:

Then the disaster

[image][/image]

It's ugly. Very ugly. But no other AAR has specifically addressed the problems of blizzard. Comments like "run like heck" and "be cautious" are as helpful as telling a pedestrian to put his hands in front of his face to lessen the impact of a speeding car.

But reality may not be kind to me. My WITE skills may be poor.

Hehehe your funny, these guys are good in blizzard but I have seen allot better and you would know it if you read any of my AAR's

I have posted what to do during blizzard and your doing it, whats the problem?

How many divisions you lost total so far?

If you lose less then 10 divisions then they suck at blizzard offensive and your good at defending.

If you lose between 10 and 20 divisions then they are average and so are you.

If you lose more then 20 divisions then they are very good.

I must be missing something because I do not see them doing anything special yet.

Grow a set and stop whining OR am I missing something?

GHC
23 - 4 - 8

16 games ended in 41 (16-0-0)
7 games ended in 42 (5-0-2)
8 games ended in 43 (2-3-3)
4 games ended in 44 (0-1-3)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DiSQ36zfWk

(in reply to HITMAN202)
Post #: 468
RE: HITMAN202 versus THEP RO's Sean is welcomed ... Si... - 7/19/2013 5:22:52 AM   
Pelton

quote:

TURN 28 ... TURN 28 ... TURN 28 ... TURN 28

Average inf morale a bit over 76

Blizzard casualties 250 K

And 4 divisions (inf)lost already

It's not what I'm doing that is the focus of this turn, but THEPROS incredible play...

Again whats the problem?

4 units lost hehehe, that's horrible for SHC

Chicken little the sky is not falling

They are nothing special and your doing very good, thk you very much.

Next time do not do what I advised and see the results.

I have personally played through 15 blizzards so I do know what I am talking about.

Your doing the text book of what to do and the results are very good for you and very poor for SHC from the info I see posted so far.

General Chicken Little play on I know the sky is not falling.

< Message edited by Pelton -- 7/19/2013 5:31:04 AM >

GHC
23 - 4 - 8

(in reply to HITMAN202)
Post #: 469
RE: HITMAN202 versus THEP RO's Sean is welcomed ... Si... - 7/19/2013 5:39:44 AM   
HITMAN202

Crap Pelton, you're pouring gasoline on the fire. You bad mouth THEPROS and they are going to really stick-it-to-me. I see now ... you're getting on the team with THEPROS and Flavius. Traitor, turncoat . Sillyflower it's almost as bad as being a redcoat.

In fact I fully grasp the situation. You are the WOOKIE.

[image][/image]

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Pelton)
Post #: 470
RE: HITMAN202 versus THEP RO's Sean is welcomed ... Si... - 7/19/2013 8:49:09 AM   
sillyflower

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pelton

If you lose less then 10 divisions then they suck at blizzard offensive and your good at defending.

I must be missing something because I do not see them doing anything special yet.

With respect Mr P, your analysis has no logic behind it. A few games ago Sean and I destroyed over 30 German divs in the 1st half of the blizzard. German played v badly. If German runs fast enough, they can't be caught. That does not reflect on the quality of Russian play. I am very clear about what we are doing and why.

You are entitled to have and to express your views about how good or bad we are, but use a performance measure that makes sense.

By your measure MT must be cr#p because he didn't kill any of your divs when you ran away from him. I hardly think he played that game badly or that he is a bad player.

Blizzard losses are much more down to German play than Russians assuming competent Russian with a reasonable army. I have played several blizzards as German and never lost a div. Mainly due to having damaged the Russians badly enough in '41, then being a bit careful. I never ran like a girl

web exchange

(in reply to Pelton)
Post #: 471
RE: HITMAN202 versus THEP RO's Sean is welcomed ... Si... - 7/19/2013 12:39:35 PM   
Pelton

quote:

ORIGINAL: sillyflower

quote:

With respect Mr P, your analysis has no logic behind it. A few games ago Sean and I destroyed over 30 German divs in the 1st half of the blizzard. German played v badly. If German runs fast enough, they can't be caught. That does not reflect on the quality of Russian play. I am very clear about what we are doing and why.

You are entitled to have and to express your views about how good or bad we are, but use a performance measure that makes sense.

By your measure MT must be cr#p because he didn't kill any of your divs when you ran away from him. I hardly think he played that game badly or that he is a bad player.

Blizzard losses are much more down to German play than Russians assuming competent Russian with a reasonable army. I have played several blizzards as German and never lost a div. Mainly due to having damaged the Russians badly enough in '41, then being a bit careful. I never ran like a girl

Sure the GHC player has allot to do with it, BUT very few SHC players know how to exploit the system on their side of the front.

The losses have to do with both players skill.

SHC players should be able to at a min all things being equal get in the 10-20 range, if not they are not getting enough grain to the horses and fuel to the tanks.

Blizzard has been nerfed for sure, but it still has loop holes like the fuel and morale systems that can be exploited by the players withen the rule set.

GHC
23 - 4 - 8

Post #: 472
RE: HITMAN202 versus THEP RO's Sean is welcomed ... Si... - 7/19/2013 7:16:18 PM   
sillyflower

quote:

The losses have to do with both players skill.

SHC players should be able to at a min all things being equal get in the 10-20 range, if not they are not getting enough grain to the horses and fuel to the tanks.

Blizzard has been nerfed for sure, but it still has loop holes like the fuel and morale systems that can be exploited by the players withen the rule set.

Obviously the skill of both sides matters. However, if G runs skilfully enough not even the most brilliant R will destroy a single unit.

It may be that by using some absurd tactics that are not 'exploits' (and I put MT's latest opening in this category) Russians can do better than if the don't. Michael reports exploits instead of using them but stretches the quirks of the system to the Nth degree. That's a perfectly reasonable way to play the game as it's honest and his opponents know what they are getting: a kicking. However, neither Sean nor want to play that way as you will know from the earlier discussion about our use of para's.

You may call that lack of skill if you want to. Others might think it takes more skill to win without resorting to those sorts of tactics. my own view is that the 2 approaches just use skills in different ways.

Frankly I don't care which camp anyone else falls into but the Pro's are going to win in our way so that even the defeated Nazi can feel he's had an enjoyable game.

I always like to think about the psychology too. Get beaten by MT and you can take comfort in the belief that he only won because of his spending endless hours testing how to get the last drop of petrol out of the game engine or ways to get the last tiny bit of advantage from the T1 rules. Get beaten by amateurs like us who just enjoy pushing a few bits of electronic cardboard around in some sort of semi-organised way and you have no excuse.

Anyway, to measure success in the blizzard just by German unit losses is plain illogical IMHO. The blizzard sets up '42. You frequently and rightly look at the mid and late game in terms of the number of hexes the Russians are from Berlin and how many turns they have left. QED. Let's see where Hitrabbit { or is he now Hitrabbit deceased a la Hopkirk of 'Randall and Hopkirk deceased' fame?) is at the end of '42 and then reflect on how well we did in the blizzard.

web exchange

(in reply to Pelton)
Post #: 473
RE: HITMAN202 versus THEP RO's Sean is welcomed ... Si... - 7/22/2013 10:44:08 PM   
sillyflower

Santa's sleigh slays simpering "supermen"

Attachment (1)

web exchange

Post #: 474
RE: HITMAN202 versus THEP RO's Sean is welcomed ... Si... - 7/25/2013 2:27:27 AM   
Wuffer

Gentleman,
while your AAr is entertaining and a good read as well, for which the auditorium wants to thank, your efforts on trashtalking are (fortunetly [sic!]] hopeless beaten by the real pro's in this discipline :-))
Probably it's something Old Europe can't compete. I'm sure you fully understand.
Nothing tops reality...

So, I hope you don't feel discouraged, even in the knowing that there are a lot of real kermits around here...

Post #: 475
RE: HITMAN202 versus THEP RO's Sean is welcomed ... Si... - 7/26/2013 8:51:37 AM   
sillyflower

Glad to see young Wuffler trying his hand at trash talking too. I think we have discussed the nature of trash talking earlier in this AAR. I suspect that we just have different approaches to it. We old-worlders prefer the more sophisticated approach. For the invective style, I think the old world wins again too - Arab cultures excel at the art of the insult.

I never thought of Kermit as the alpha trash-talker though.

web exchange

(in reply to Wuffer)
Post #: 476
RE: HITMAN202 versus THEP RO's Sean is welcomed ... Si... - 7/30/2013 10:51:10 PM   
Michael T

What is going on Hitman? I am in to January now, things not too bad, how are you coping?

'Deus le Volt!'
------------------

Post #: 477
RE: HITMAN202 versus THEP RO's Sean is welcomed ... Si... - 7/30/2013 11:09:51 PM   
sillyflower

good question

web exchange

(in reply to Michael T)
Post #: 478
RE: HITMAN202 versus THEP RO's Sean is welcomed ... Si... - 7/31/2013 10:20:11 PM   
STEF78

quote:

ORIGINAL: sillyflower

I think we have discussed the nature of trash talking earlier in this AAR. I suspect that we just have different approaches to it. We old-worlders prefer the more sophisticated approach.

Surprisingly, I agree with an englishman

Post #: 479
RE: HITMAN202 versus THEP RO's Sean is welcomed ... Si... - 8/4/2013 3:40:25 PM   
sillyflower

The chase is on again, and we have agreed to speed this game up. Nothing very exciting to report on 1st Jan turn. 9th Pz xx died in a pocket but pretty much everyone else ran out of reach of serious attacks except in north just S of Finnish stop line where I grind forward 1 hex per turn instead of 2 or 3 everywhere else.

Setting up nicely for an entertaining '42. Soviets will be pretty far forward with a huge, good quality army so will Dr H be strong enough to make significant headway?

< Message edited by sillyflower -- 8/6/2013 11:15:49 PM >

web exchange

(in reply to STEF78)
Post #: 480
Page:   <<   < prev  13 14 15 [16] 17   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: HITMAN202 versus THEP RO's Sean is welcomed ... Sillyflower is allowed. Page: <<   < prev  13 14 15 [16] 17   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI