Representing a Russian Rifle Division

This exciting new release is a faithful adaptation of the renowned Conflict of Heroes board game that won the Origins Historical Game of the Year, Charles Roberts Wargame of the Year and the James F. Dunnigan Design Elegance Award, as well as many others!

Designed and developed in cooperation with Uwe Eickert, the original designer of Conflict of Heroes, and Western Civlization Software, the award-winning computer wargame studio, no effort has been spared to bring the outstanding Conflict of Heroes gameplay to the computer. Conflict of Heroes includes an AI opponent as well as full multiplayer support with an integrated forum and game lobby. To remain true to the core gameplay of the board game, the PC version is designed to be fun, fast and easy to play, though hard to master. The game design is also historically accurate and teaches and rewards platoon and company-level combined arms tactics without overwhelming the player with rules.

Moderator: MOD_WestCiv

Ratzki

Representing a Russian Rifle Division

Post by Ratzki »

Been working on this for a while now, that is I wanted to "bathtub" a Rifle Division to help with scenario design. I have come up with the following based on The Red Army Handbook. Feedback would be great as I have had to fudge a couple things. My aim was to produce something that looked like a division but with reduced numbers of units to keep the game size small. In no way would I suggest representing the whole division in COH, even in this reduced format, but players that want to use realistic paper strength forces could pick and choose what units might actually be on the battlefield.
Here goes based on the TO 04/750-769 Series from Dec. 1941:

An Infantry Battalion------------12x Rifle Squads
4x Maxim MG's

Mounted Recon Platoon----------1x Rifle Squad

Infantry Recon Platoon----------1x Rifle Squad

A Mortar Battalion----------------2x 82mm Mortar Battery (Artillery Strength=3)
2x 50mm Mortar Battery (Artillery Strength=2)
(This is done to limit the flexability of the mortars at this point in the war. These would be under Regimental control and not directly at the ready for individual squads or companies that COH represents for the most part. If needed, they represent a battery of 4 units each respectively.)

SMG Company-------------------3x SMG Squads

AT Battery------------------------2x 45mm AT Guns

Infantry Gun Battery------------1x 75mm IG Battery (Artillery Strength=2)
(The Russian counter mix does not include Infantry Guns so I used the German 75mm to come up with the Artillery Strength rating for the Russian guns. Also, this battery is rather weak, specially after the tweeking so the strength of 2 represents a 1-2 gun battery.)

All the above would be under Regimental control. The following would be under Divisional control:

Field Artillery Regiment---------2x 75mm Artillery Battery (Artillery Strength=3)
1x 122mm Artillery Battery (Artillery Strength=6)

AT Battalion----------------------4x 45mm AT Guns

AA Battery (Can not represent at this time)

1 or 2 Mortar Battalion(s)-------1(2)x 120mm Mortar Battery (Artillery Strength=??)
(I need help with these as far as strength goes. These are not a typical 4 gun battery but a 6 gun battery. Some Rifle Divisions had only 1 Battalion and some had 2 Battalions)

Pioneer Battalion----------------8x Rifle Squads (These will have to do untill units updated to 2nd edition)

Recon Company----------------3x Rifle Squads

I think that this about covers it. Any help or changes due to my mistakes would be appreciated.
ericbabe

RE: Representing a Russian Rifle Division

Post by ericbabe »

Very nice!
Jamm

Post by Jamm »

I think your list is looking like company level
These may help

Attachments
Soviet Rif..86x1024).jpg
Soviet Rif..86x1024).jpg (177.22 KiB) Viewed 163 times
When the going gets weird,... the weird turn pro
Hunter S Thompson

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Jamm-wor ... =bookmarks
Jamm

Post by Jamm »

And this one for armor

Attachments
SovietTan..86x1024.jpg
SovietTan..86x1024.jpg (206.33 KiB) Viewed 161 times
Hunter S Thompson

Jamm

Post by Jamm »

Here's some TO&E for the German side

Attachments
GermanInf..86x1024.jpg
GermanInf..86x1024.jpg (213.98 KiB) Viewed 161 times
Hunter S Thompson

Jamm

Post by Jamm »

panzers

Attachments
GermanPan..86x1024.jpg
GermanPan..86x1024.jpg (245.94 KiB) Viewed 161 times
Hunter S Thompson

Jamm

Post by Jamm »

,these are some lists I reference when designing

Attachments
GermanPan..86x1024.jpg
GermanPan..86x1024.jpg (219.62 KiB) Viewed 161 times
Hunter S Thompson

Ratzki

Post by Ratzki »

Yes, I am tried to reduce it down to a Company size, but after getting down to the Battalion you start to lose the smaller units in the division, such as the Recon platoons. I wanted all the base formations to be included. I also thought that the paper strength of 12x Rifle Squads and 4x Maxims in a battle, while quite a few units, did not seem to overload a player during a turn. And with more reduction due to combat losses, a Battalion seemed to be a good place to stop. I have read somewhere that a Russian division was often floating around 50% strength soon after being exposed to battle and with the creation of new divisions being more important then bringing existing divisions back up to strength, the Battalion is where I stopped. Without too close a look, I think that there are about 5 reorganizations within the time frame that COH represents. It will be nice when we get some new units to play with. hint...hint
Thanks for the info Jamm.
Ratzki

Post by Ratzki »

I just realized that no one came up with the COH artillery strength for a Russian 6 tube 120mm mortar battery. Any ideas?

Return to “Conflict of Heroes Series”