Matrix Games Forums

Hannibal: Terror of Rome goes into BetaBattle Academy Mega Pack releases on SteamDeal of the Week Da Vinci's Art of WarCivil War II Patch 1.4 public BetaHappy Easter!Battle Academy is now available on SteamPlayers compare Ageods Civil War to Civil War IIDeal of the week - An updated War in the East goes half Price!Sign up for the Qvadriga beta for iPad and Android!Come and say hi at Pax and Salute
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Some questions: ammo supply, reinforcements, right-clicking

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Decisive Campaigns: Case Blue >> Some questions: ammo supply, reinforcements, right-clicking Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Some questions: ammo supply, reinforcements, right-clic... - 3/21/2013 2:49:03 PM   
Hugolin

So I got the game last week, so far so good, I'm getting used to it. Not quite what I expected, but still offers a lot, and I'm sure there's more to discover.

So far I've only tried the '1st Pz Army linked scenario', which is well done.

Like already many said here: the game needs more shorter (linked of not) scenarios. The full campaign is not for everyone. Hopefully Vic (the designer) or some users will do some fun modding soon.

3 Questions:

1- Ammo Supply: at what rate are units' ammos replenished? Seems to take a long time to get ART back to 100%. Same with units, once you've spent every shell and cartridge, it takes forever (i.e. many turns) to refill back to '10 rounds'. Even though my units are '100% in supply', I only get a daily trickle of actual ammos... Which means units are useless for a long time.
Is ammo supply depending on:
- being 100% supply?
- on a road?
- in a city?
- setting the unit to 'priority'?
- being in enemy ZOC?
- fighting?
- moving?

2- Replacement:
Seems replacement stay stuck for a while in the HQ receiving them. Again, trickling is the word.
I had half-track stay there for the whole game, even though I had units with HT.
Also when you don't have the unit type (re. there's no SS in the 1st Pz Army scenario), does it mean the replacement stays with the HQ and is 'lost' for game purpose?
Also, is replacement being affected by enemy ZOC, combat, movement, etc? (re. is the unit reinforcing better is doing nothing this turn)

I find lack of control over these issues (cannot controls supply and replacement flow) is both interestingly realistic, but also annoying...

3- Right-clicking
It is stated numerous time that we can 'right-click' a unit or a question marks etc., but in my own game I cannot seem to righticlick anything... Is it only me? I mean, right-clicking doesn't open anything.

Thanks for your replies!

< Message edited by Hugolin -- 3/22/2013 1:54:50 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: Some questions: ammo supply, reinforcements, right-... - 3/21/2013 10:22:24 PM   
Bonners

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hugolin

So I got the game last week, so far so good, I'm getting used to it. Not quite what I expected, but still offers a lot, and I'm sure there's more to discover.

So far I've only tried the '1st Pz Army linked scenario', which is well done.

Like already many said here: the game needs more shorter (linked of not) scenarios. The full campaign is not for everyone. Hopefully Vic (the designer) or some users will do some fun modding soon.

3 Questions:

1- Ammo Supply: at what rate are units' ammos replenished? Seems to take a long time to get ART back to 100%. Same with units, once you've spent every shell and cartridge, it takes forever (i.e. many turns) to refill back to '10 rounds'. Even though my units are '100% in supply', I only get a daily trickle of actual ammos... Which means units are useless for a long time.
Is ammo supply depending on:
- being 100% supply?
- on a road?
- in a city?
- setting the unit to 'priority'?
- being in enemy ZOC?
- fighting?
- moving?

2- Reinforcement:
Seems reinforcements stay stuck for a while in the HQ receiving them. Again, trickling is the word.
I had half-track stay there for the whole game, even though I had units with HT.
Also when you don't have the unit type (re. there's no SS in the 1st Pz Army scenario), does it mean the reinforcement stays with the HQ and is 'lost' for game purpose?
Also, is reinforcement being affected by enemy ZOC, combat, movement, etc? (re. is the unit reinforcing better is doing nothing this turn)

I find lack of control over these issues (cannot controls supply and reinforcement flow) is both interestingly realistic, but also annoying...

3- Right-clicking
It is stated numerous time that we can 'right-click' a unit or a question marks etc., but in my own game I cannot seem to righticlick anything... Is it only me? I mean, right-clicking doesn't open anything.

Thanks for your replies!

I still dont fully understand supply, but I know what some of the main factors are. For artillery to fully re-stock it has to be stationary for four full rounds and providing it has a supply trail back to the main HQ (Stavka or OKH) then it will then be fully stocked again. Full stock for artillery is supposed to represent the stocks that would accumulate at the start of an offensive, so it is unlikely that units will have those full stocks again, unless you pull them off the line into reserve.

Overall fighting and moving affects your ammo supplies. I have to be honest and say I'm one of those players who never really works these things. But basically for other units to be fully stocked they need to have enough supply from HQ, to be in supply range and for the high command to actually have enough supply to distribute (especially with the Russians this is not always the case). As for roads and rail, it is more difficult for supply to reach units when they are away from the rail and road network, mainly because each hex costs more for the supply to go through - this is especially an issue on rain or snow turns.

Priority is something I hadnt considered before with regard to supply. I have always thought of priority as only affecting replacement troops. Whether it affects supply or not somebody else would have to confirm, I dont think so though.

With reinforcements your units have to be able to trace a supply line back to high command to get them. You are right, if there are no unit types to use that troop type (as in your example with SS units) then those troops cant be used. Of course, your solution is to use your prestige points to create new units. In the linked 1st PZ Army campaign you can get SS Wiking and those troops can be used to stock them.

I'm not sure about the half tracks without more details. That does sound strange (I take it they are not SS half tracks?) and might be a bug? if they are normal army ones they should be trickling out to your units as transport is one item that the German is always short of.

I'll have to have a look at right clicking as I'm not sure it is something I do.

(in reply to Hugolin)
Post #: 2
RE: Some questions: ammo supply, reinforcements, right-... - 3/22/2013 1:52:03 AM   
Hugolin

@ Bonners: thanks for your reply.

Artillery: it's unfortunate (especially in a scenario like 1st Pz Army) that it takes so long to replenish. In the rules, they say one should wait for Arty to be back to 100% before doing another bombardment... Which means half the game.

Also as I understand, a unit will shoot only so many 'rounds of ammo' as specified in the units details, right? In said scenario, most of my advanced units are under 1 'round of ammo' left (re. 0.1, 0.2, etc). Which means they will fight one round and throw rocks the next 9 rounds? Certainly it explains why my units are getting more and more useless as they go... It's a really important part of the game - I've been attacking too much.

About Half-track: they seemed to be stuck at 60 forever, but that one wasn't a scientific statement..

About the 'replacement in reserve', it's rather unsound. I mean, IMO a HQ should only receive replacement of units it owns. If I have say ZERO Romanian units, would should I get some Romanian troops sitting idle at my HQ? IMO, a HQ should only get replacement for a unit type it commands.
---
It's unfortunate there's not yet clear information on such crucial matters. Obviously AP cost matters, but information would be great without having to resort to do extensive play testing.

Also it's unfortunate that we cannot control more reinforcement distribution. One good way could be through the Corps HQ - having an interface asking this HQ what it wants (re. AA guns, Tanks, etc.) and having reinforcement go first to OKH, then to the Corps HQ, then to the unit.

---
Right-clicking: looking forward to hear if I miss something!

(in reply to Bonners)
Post #: 3
RE: Some questions: ammo supply, reinforcements, right-... - 3/22/2013 1:24:07 PM   
wodin

Hugolin..I agree that this linked scenario thing is something that Vic should really look at as further DLC....I'd easy buy DLC of linked scenarios following a certain Army or Corps.

My Tactical wargame facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/Tacticalwargame

(in reply to Hugolin)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Decisive Campaigns: Case Blue >> Some questions: ammo supply, reinforcements, right-clicking Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI