Leningrad (Again) v27 edition

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21, elmo3

rmonical

Leningrad (Again) v27 edition

Post by rmonical »

It has been a while since a stand-alone discussion on taking Leningrad and I wondered if anything has changed over the revs. As nearly as I can tell Sviritsa (90.12) provides port supply to Leningrad even though it is not really connected to the rail grid per 20.1.3 port supply. True?

Does cutting the rail line at (89,16) diminish Sviritsa's usefulness as a supply source for Leningrad allowing a frontal attack?

Is taking Sviritsa the only practical way to seize North Leningrad before the Spring snow when the Neva is still frozen but the Germans are not nerfed.

I may have a shot here as of turn 11 in my H-H with Mehring. I Corps is buffed up and under the command of Model. Lots of support units in AGN. How would the pros recommend I proceed? I was considering which way to go with 3 PG after turn 11. Mud made that decision for me.

TIA

Attachments
LeningradT11.jpg
LeningradT11.jpg (347.67 KiB) Viewed 51 times
Flaviusx

RE: Leningrad (Again) v27 edition

Post by Flaviusx »

Set yourself up for a two hex assault across the Neva on Pavlovo. You're almost ready to do it. Can't be stopped if you set it up right. Once across, game over pretty much, just need to take Osinovets and Leningrad starves. This is by far the easiest way to do it. Time may be a constraining factor here, though, I forget how many turns the scenario lasts. You'll need about 3 turns to pull this off is my guess, one more turn for the setup, another for the crossing, and one more for Osinovets; the rest of Leningrad can be cleared afterwards in isolated status. So that puts you on turn 15 to conclude the operation. Might be possible to force the crossing next turn if you have enough MPs, but you've got a lot of ZOCs to clear near the crossing area as well as the hex SW of Pavlovo.

Taking the Lake Ladoga ports out is the hard way to do this.
WitE Alpha Tester
gradenko2k

RE: Leningrad (Again) v27 edition

Post by gradenko2k »

Kobona (85,15) Novaya Ladoga (87,15) and Sviritsa (90,12) all can provide supply to Leningrad.

The difference is that Kobona is directly attached to the rail network, while Novaya Ladoga and Sviritsa are not, which means part of the supply distance has to be covered by trucks.

Both Novaya Ladoga and Sviritsa are just one hex away from the rail line, but if the fork in the rail-line at 89,16 can be taken, the trucking distance from the rail-line to Sviritsa can be significantly increased.

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”