Matrix Games Forums

Deal of the Week: Combat Command Return to the Moon on October 31st! Commander: The Great War iPad Wallpapers Generals of the Great WarDeal of the Week Panzer CorpsNew Strategy Titles Join the FamilyTablet Version of Qvadriga gets new patchNew Command Ops: Battles from the Bulge UpdateCommand gets a huge update!Sign up for the Sovereignty beta!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Game crashing, AI nonfunctional

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Tech Support >> Game crashing, AI nonfunctional Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Game crashing, AI nonfunctional - 3/17/2013 8:25:48 AM   
upen

I'm playing a Soviet '41 grand campaign against the AI with the 1.0.6.27 patch and Don to the Danube installed on Windows 8 64 bit. A few turns ago the game started crashing during the Soviet Logistics phase after the German AI took it's turn. The game would get to the Soviet logistics phase and then simply stop responding and crash to desktop. If I loaded the game back up after the crash and tried to process the turn again it sometimes processed without crashing, maybe one in 4 times. I tried re-installing the game but that didn't fix anything so I gave up and I've been living with the annoyance for a week or so.

Now when I try to end my turn the German AI appears to be nonfunctional. It will move around a few Finnish and Army Group North units for about a minute then it will end its turn. It doesn't seem to do much of anything on the other fronts and it flies no planes and launches no attacks anywhere. The game also never crashes while processing these bugged German AI turns. If I load up a previous save or start a new campaign the German AI wakes up but the game starts to crash again during Soviet Logistics.

What is going on?

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by upen -- 3/17/2013 8:26:54 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: Game crashing, AI nonfunctional - 3/17/2013 10:20:03 AM   
upen

Just ran the turn on a fresh install on a different computer. The AI launched 2 attacks, one on a partisan in the north and one deliberate attack near Leningrad. No units except the Finns and a handful of units in army group north moved, no other attacks were launched, no planes flew.

(in reply to upen)
Post #: 2
RE: Game crashing, AI nonfunctional - 3/17/2013 12:23:01 PM   
Apollo11

Hi all,

Hmmm... crashes with WitE are extremely rare (almost non existent) as you can see by looking at this "Tech Support" subforum...

Do you have repeatable crashes (i.e. if you load the game from savegame file and start it when you left it the game crashes every time)?

If yes please post the savegame file here!

Also the AI needs "push" in order to function more historically and more aggressively...

What setting (percentages) are you using for AI?

Leo "Apollo11"

Prior Preparation & Planning Prevents Pathetically Poor Performance!

A & B: WitW, WitE, WbtS, GGWaW, GGWaW2-AWD, HttR, CotA, BftB, CF
P: UV, WitP, WitP-AE

(in reply to upen)
Post #: 3
RE: Game crashing, AI nonfunctional - 3/17/2013 8:43:51 PM   
upen

I have the AI set to 110% in all categories and it's been playing fine for the last 20+ turns, it's just the one turn that I have attached to the OP where it refuses to do anything. If you download that turn and end it the AI should do almost nothing, just shifting forces around and maybe launching a single attack before ending its turn. It's the snow turns for '41 so it should be going nuts everywhere. At the very least it should be doing some recon flights or moving forces around that are outside of the very northern part of the map. It doesn't even try to free encircled units in the Center or move up to the line in the south. If I end my turn again after the bugged turn it plays normally, moving and launching attacks everywhere on the map so there's something weird going on with this one turn in particular and I'd like to figure out what it is so it doesn't happen again.

As for the crashing the save file attached to this post crashes almost every time I try to process the turn, even on a fresh install of the game. I probably have half a dozen more save files from this game that also crash consistently during the soviet logistics phase. On a hunch I just ran the turn with autosaves turned off and it ran fine, so I guess it's some problem with it trying to save the Soviet turn's autosave to my computer. I can live without autosaves, what I can't live with is the AI not doing anything.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Apollo11)
Post #: 4
RE: Game crashing, AI nonfunctional - 3/18/2013 1:09:19 AM   
Joel Billings

The German AI will likely start digging in during the last snow turns before blizzard. Are you in late November? Also, if it hasn't done very well, it might not launch much of a snow offensive at all.

All understanding comes after the fact.
-- Soren Kierkegaard

(in reply to upen)
Post #: 5
RE: Game crashing, AI nonfunctional - 3/18/2013 1:11:57 AM   
upen

Ah I've never seen that behavior before, neat. Thank you for the reply.
I managed to fix the crashing issue by reformatting my PC and reinstalling the game, I think it was caused by my backup software trying to grab the quicksave the game was making while it was making it.

(in reply to upen)
Post #: 6
RE: Game crashing, AI nonfunctional - 3/18/2013 10:02:38 AM   
Apollo11

Hi all,

quote:

ORIGINAL: upen

Ah I've never seen that behavior before, neat. Thank you for the reply.
I managed to fix the crashing issue by reformatting my PC and reinstalling the game, I think it was caused by my backup software trying to grab the quicksave the game was making while it was making it.

Good to know that you found the cause!

Leo "Apollo11"

Prior Preparation & Planning Prevents Pathetically Poor Performance!

A & B: WitW, WitE, WbtS, GGWaW, GGWaW2-AWD, HttR, CotA, BftB, CF
P: UV, WitP, WitP-AE

(in reply to upen)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Tech Support >> Game crashing, AI nonfunctional Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI