Matrix Games Forums

Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm gets huge update and a Steam release!Battle Academy 2 opens up a new front!Flashpoint Campaigns Featured on weekly Streaming SessionFrontline: The Longest Day - New Screenshots!Deal of the Week: Hannibal Rome and CarthageFlashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm gets Players Edition!To End All Wars gets its first major patch! Hell is now available!War in the West Wacht am Rhein AAR Deal of the Week Panzer Corps: Allied Corps
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

How to stop AI replacing specific ship designs?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds Series >> How to stop AI replacing specific ship designs? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
How to stop AI replacing specific ship designs? - 3/17/2013 7:34:24 AM   
TheSaviour

Hi there, I have just got the game several days ago and I am enjoying it a lot.
However, I like to micromanage specific things where as I seem to only have the option to do all the work or none.
For example, my biggest issue is I want to customize my own military ships but leave the rest to be automated... can this be done?
It seems that whenever I set the design I either have to turn the automation off or leave it on and have my design reset.

thanks
Post #: 1
RE: How to stop AI replacing specific ship designs? - 3/17/2013 9:04:24 AM   
Darkspire

Hi Saviour, welcome to the forums

That is the correct way, make sure the tick boxes for the military designs are unchecked in the empire options and when you have an upgrade you wish to apply, select the ship and click on auto refit at the bottom of the screen. Once you have auto upgraded the design be sure to click edit and just check that the correct parts have been added, sometimes the AI gets confused with what is better. Once you get the hang of it its not so bad, the tech tree is quite easy to remember and before long you will feel at ease with what upgrades proceed what. I design all state ships, bases and the private bases and auto refit them (with checking). I also auto refit the private ships but never bother with the designs.

Enjoy the game.

Darkspire

Darkspires's File Repository

Dual Core E4500 2.20GHz - GeForce 8800GT (1gb) - XP 32bit 4gb with a 3gb twist and a shaking of PAE

(in reply to TheSaviour)
Post #: 2
RE: How to stop AI replacing specific ship designs? - 3/17/2013 9:05:16 AM   
Canute

Press ESC for the Game menu
Select Option
At the middle are the Automation. Turn off what you like to do self.

(in reply to TheSaviour)
Post #: 3
RE: How to stop AI replacing specific ship designs? - 3/17/2013 9:40:04 AM   
Bingeling

quote:

ORIGINAL: TheSaviour

Hi there, I have just got the game several days ago and I am enjoying it a lot.
However, I like to micromanage specific things where as I seem to only have the option to do all the work or none.
For example, my biggest issue is I want to customize my own military ships but leave the rest to be automated... can this be done?
It seems that whenever I set the design I either have to turn the automation off or leave it on and have my design reset.

thanks

That depends on your game version. With the latest Legends you can pick what to design, if not Legends, you have all or nothing.

If you have Legends (and I believe you need the latest patch as well), you have a couple of tools available.
In the ship design list, you have two choices on the right.

Upgrade decides if an AI designer should mess with the design or not. If you do nothing else, and create a special frigate design, setting upgrade to manual will allow you to have the design around (as an option to build) while the AI maintain its normal design as well. If you build ships from the construction list (part of ship list, or button top right), you have good control as to what to build. Keep in mind that any quick "build frigate" options builds the newest design, which will usually be the AI one.

Retrofit decides if the ship is included if you accept the "retrofit all" option from the AI (or let the AI run retrofits). I also believe these ships ignore fleet retrofit orders (of their fleet), but have not tested...
Setting this to "manual" allows your fancy special frigate to hang around while the normal frigates are updated. This is very useful for powerful alien ships that otherwise would tend to get lost if you could build a ship of their class.

The more clear option is in the empire policy screen.

Some way down are AI options for research and design. You have a list of all design classes. Here you can uncheck for instance frigates, and the AI will never mess with a frigate design again.

It sounds like you want to use the empire policy option to remove your military ship designs from automation.

(in reply to TheSaviour)
Post #: 4
RE: How to stop AI replacing specific ship designs? - 3/17/2013 10:14:46 AM   
TheSaviour

thanks for the replies everyone :)

Would you suggest manually upgrading my ships or just leave it for the AI?
At the moment, and it is probably completely wrong, I just deck out a ship to the max of its size, wanting powerful ships but not as many. However, if the AI will do fine then I see no reason for me to get my hands dirty at this stage.
Also this automation settings, is this customizable for research as well? as in can I manually selecting the military research area and leave the others to be automated?

(in reply to Bingeling)
Post #: 5
RE: How to stop AI replacing specific ship designs? - 3/17/2013 11:14:18 AM   
Bingeling

The AI designs work just fine, but you can make them more powerful. If you leave the game alone, some AI empire will win. And they all use AI designs ;-)

When I do manual design (not too often), I prefer to do all choices for the military ships. I may manually press "auto upgrade designs", but will always check that the AI has not done something stupid afterwards. I do usually mind what reactor, hyper drive, and weapons are used...

You can't automate parts of research, but there are some options on the empire policy screen to guide the AI's priorities. You can be a lot more focused than the AI, though (like not researching weapons you don't plan to use).

(in reply to TheSaviour)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds Series >> How to stop AI replacing specific ship designs? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI