Matrix Games Forums

Space Program Manager Launch Contest Announced!Battle Academy 2 is out now on iPad!A closer look at rockets in Space Program ManagerDeal of the Week - Pride of NationsA new update for Piercing Fortress EuropaNew screenshots for War in the West!Pike & Shot is now available!Server Maintenance Battle Academy 2 gets updated!Deal of the Week: Advanced Tactics Gold
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Finnish Withdrawal?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Finnish Withdrawal? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Finnish Withdrawal? - 3/17/2013 2:52:16 AM   
chuckbbq

What's with the mass withdrawal of Finnish troops late in '41? Did this happen historically? If so, where did these divisions go? The Fins start out strong, but after these withdrawals and a little combat, Finnish manpower just dwindles. After the '41 Blizzard, it's difficult to use them effectively.
Post #: 1
RE: Finnish Withdrawal? - 3/17/2013 8:00:07 AM   
tvaara

Yes, on summer 41 Finland mobilized 630 000 men and women, which was an unsustainable level for country with population of 3.7 million. After realizing that the war was going to be long one, the Finnish High Command pared down the numbers to such levels that were possible to maintain for the longer haul. More empasis was put on heavy weaponry and all operations were weighted upon the perceived need to conserve manpower.

(in reply to chuckbbq)
Post #: 2
RE: Finnish Withdrawal? - 3/17/2013 8:08:51 AM   
tvaara

in addition, if somebody wonders about the discrepancy in numbers between WitE and my 630 000 at summer 41, it is because the bigger number includes also such personnel that was not in the armed forces, but on the myriad support services. As far as I can tell, WitE numbers are well reasearched and quite historical.

(in reply to tvaara)
Post #: 3
RE: Finnish Withdrawal? - 3/17/2013 8:23:14 AM   
Flaviusx

Wow, that's almost 20% of the Finnish population. Full mobilization in WW2 tended to top off around 10%.

WitE Alpha Tester

(in reply to tvaara)
Post #: 4
RE: Finnish Withdrawal? - 3/17/2013 2:26:48 PM   
carlkay58

Which was why the Finns had to cut back. Their economy just could not take it. It is also why the Finns manpower pool is so tight. Also recall that the Finns had fought a war of survival during the Winter of 39/40 where they maintained the 20% mobilization for most of that war. So this was their second major call up in a matter of a few years and the economy was just too fragile to sustain it.

(in reply to Flaviusx)
Post #: 5
RE: Finnish Withdrawal? - 3/17/2013 4:15:56 PM   
Disgruntled Veteran

quote:

ORIGINAL: carlkay58

Which was why the Finns had to cut back. Their economy just could not take it. It is also why the Finns manpower pool is so tight. Also recall that the Finns had fought a war of survival during the Winter of 39/40 where they maintained the 20% mobilization for most of that war. So this was their second major call up in a matter of a few years and the economy was just too fragile to sustain it.

IIRC it was around September that the switch to a conservative defense began. After a few brief campaigns in 42 the Finnish front was as good as dead until around 06/44. The Soviets stripped the Finnish front of most of its units because the Western Powers brow beat the Finns into complacency by threatening to leave them at the Soviets mercy post-war so the Soviets knew the Finns wouldn't attack them.

(in reply to carlkay58)
Post #: 6
RE: Finnish Withdrawal? - 3/17/2013 5:32:58 PM   
Klydon

Some of the Finnish units withdrawn come back later as other units as well. I think the Jager and cav units were withdrawn and then reformed into a armored division later.

Some of the units withdrawn were also sent further north to support the offensive towards the Murmansk railroad junction to Archangel.

And of course, as noted, several formations were demobilized.

The front became fairly static and the Finns were not going to really do anything more until the Germans had captured Leningrad to free up Finnish units that were employed in static positions on the Karelian front.

(in reply to Disgruntled Veteran)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Finnish Withdrawal? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI