Matrix Games Forums

War in the West gets its first update!Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm version 2.08 is now available!Command gets huge update!Order of Battle: Pacific Featured on Weekly Streaming SessionA new fight for Battle Academy!Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager is out for Mac!The definitive wargame of the Western Front is out now! War in the West gets teaser trailer and Twitch Stream!New Preview AAR for War in the West!War in the West Manual preview
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

New PBEM game set-up/mod Question

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> New PBEM game set-up/mod Question Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
New PBEM game set-up/mod Question - 3/16/2013 11:01:02 PM   
Sorta

Looking at grand campaign PBEM. Do players suggest the standard scenario 1 (or scenario 2 with the stacking mod). Or a mod or a combination of the above?

Looking for as balanced as possible as after I've crushed my opponent we'll be swapping sides.

Thanks
Post #: 1
RE: New PBEM game set-up/mod Question - 3/16/2013 11:06:18 PM   
witpqs

I suggest Da Babes scenario 28-C, with optional stacking limits.

Scenario 28 is the Babes version of scenario 1. It uses the extended map. The -C version has cargo capacities of ships cut so that more stress is placed upon the ships of both sides to move supplies.

The extended map requires both the correct art files and the correct pwhex files (a set of three files). There is a set pf pwhex files that uses the optional stacking limits and one that uses only the default stacking limits.

Da Babes scenarios and related files (like the extended map files) can be found here:

https://sites.google.com/site/dababeswitpae/

Intel Monkey: https://sites.google.com/site/staffmonkeys/

(in reply to Sorta)
Post #: 2
RE: New PBEM game set-up/mod Question - 3/17/2013 1:16:01 AM   
topeverest

Since you will play both sides, potentially at the same time, there is no harm in any scenario. You will get to see both sides. I think it boils down to how 'hard' you want the empire to play. most mods expand the empire capabilities either directly through capabililties or indirectly through allied hinderances. I haven't got around to DB yet, but it probably is a whole stack of fun.

Andy M

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 3
RE: New PBEM game set-up/mod Question - 3/17/2013 2:46:55 AM   
Chickenboy

I'd go with either scenario 1 or 2 for your mirror campaign. OOB, tweaks, quirks and so forth pretty well established. Not a big fan of the mods, as there are often hidden agendas associated with them to be later discovered to your chagrin.

(in reply to topeverest)
Post #: 4
RE: New PBEM game set-up/mod Question - 3/17/2013 3:41:02 PM   
John 3rd

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

I'd go with either scenario 1 or 2 for your mirror campaign. OOB, tweaks, quirks and so forth pretty well established. Not a big fan of the mods, as there are often hidden agendas associated with them to be later discovered to your chagrin.

Agree with Chickenboy here. Sticking to pure vanilla is safest with Scen 1 or 2. Da Babes would be the next best since some of that work is directly built off 1 and 2 with tweaks and changes. Those Mods are well researched and strongly supported. Continuing on the spectrum would be Reluctant Admiral (based off Da babes), further out might be Iron Man, and so on...

The key is pick something you might like to try. Ask around for comments and support and then make a choice. There are lots of people who'll help. All you have to do is ask.

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:
https://sites.google.com/site/reluctantadmiral/

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 5
RE: New PBEM game set-up/mod Question - 3/17/2013 3:52:53 PM   
JocMeister

Using stacking limits is a strong recommendation. I will never play without it again.

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 6
RE: New PBEM game set-up/mod Question - 3/17/2013 8:03:03 PM   
Symon

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

There are no agendas in DaBabes, hidden or otherwise. DaBabes scenarios were developed by the original AE development team as a means of incorporating things that there was insufficient time to include in the initial release and as a test bed for modifications that have been implemented in the executable Beta updates published by Michaelm.

BabesLite scenarios 26 and 27 ARE stock scenarios 1 and 8, but have data elements that march hand-in-glove with the executable betas. The last official data update was to BabesLite as it existed at that time. AndyMac’s latest scenario and AI updates are BabesLite based. The only reason they are not contemporary, official, stock scenarios is that Matrix hasn’t decided to spend the time and money to put another official comprehensive patch together, but they are in the official development queue if this should ever take place.

Stacking limits were originally developed by Andrew Brown, the map and map-data developer of the AE design team. They were tweaked and implemented by the Babes team after much consultation with Andrew and Michaelm. Stacking limits pwhexe, pwzlink and pwzone are available for ALL stock-map scenarios, as well as extended-map scenarios.

Obviously, Matrix can’t offer a stock-map, an extended map, nominal stacking data files, and stacking limit data files, as an official patch. But these were developed by the AE developers, without any hidden agendas, so if they float your boat, just pick which one you want to use.

JWE

Yippy Ki Yay

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 7
RE: New PBEM game set-up/mod Question - 3/17/2013 8:10:24 PM   
Symon

BabesLite scenarios 26 and 27 are designed to be played as EXACT alternatives to stock scenarios 01 and 08, including their AI files.

DaBigBabes scenarios 28 and 29, are a bit different and are designed for PBEM play, with limited IJ computer capability and no Allied.

[ed] so believe who you want to; the game developers or somebody else who might have their own agenda.

< Message edited by Symon -- 3/17/2013 8:43:52 PM >

Yippy Ki Yay

(in reply to Symon)
Post #: 8
RE: New PBEM game set-up/mod Question - 3/17/2013 10:57:59 PM   
John 3rd

Hey Sir! The Babes in ANY form is excellent work. This is why FatR and I used (I think) Scen 26 as our template. We wanted something much further developed then just Scen 1. It has served as a GREAT basis for our Mod.

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:
https://sites.google.com/site/reluctantadmiral/

(in reply to Symon)
Post #: 9
RE: New PBEM game set-up/mod Question - 3/18/2013 12:57:35 AM   
topeverest

Is there a translation table that describes the differences between stacking limits in 26/27 vs 1/8?

Andy M

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 10
RE: New PBEM game set-up/mod Question - 3/18/2013 3:22:25 AM   
witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: topeverest

Is there a translation table that describes the differences between stacking limits in 26/27 vs 1/8?

I really doubt it. Basically, with default stacking limits only island bases have stacking limits, and those are the basic ones described in the manual (dictated by island size).

With the optional stacking limits, every hex on the map that can hold troops has stacking limits. In addition, the default stacking limits on island bases are overridden by the optional stacking limit set for that hex.

AFAIK the only source to see the actual stacking limits is in-game.

Intel Monkey: https://sites.google.com/site/staffmonkeys/

(in reply to topeverest)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> New PBEM game set-up/mod Question Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI