Matrix Games Forums

Characters of World War 1Sign of for the Pike and Shot Beta!More Games are Coming to Steam! Deal of the Week: Combat Command Return to the Moon on October 31st! Commander: The Great War iPad Wallpapers Generals of the Great WarDeal of the Week Panzer CorpsNew Strategy Titles Join the FamilyTablet Version of Qvadriga gets new patch
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Should I come back to this title?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Should I come back to this title? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Should I come back to this title? - 3/15/2013 5:14:59 PM   
stormbringer3

I purchased WitE on its initial release and played it for quite a few months. I then moved on because of the air war, 1st winter and other issues. There have been years of patches and improvements so I'd like some opinions on the current state of the game especially the air war. I always start the long campaign.
Thanks.
Post #: 1
RE: Should I come back to this title? - 3/15/2013 6:32:02 PM   
gradenko_2000

The First Winter is much easier to deal with compared to the complete baseball-bat-to-the-face that the release version was. You'll still take it on the chin, but that's to be expected.

The air war, unfortunately, has not improved much. The patches have gotten rid of the more exploitable behaviors, but that just means the effect of the air war can be somewhat negligible at times.

Whether or not to come back to it is really a matter of taste - despite the game's issues, there's really nothing like it.

(in reply to stormbringer3)
Post #: 2
RE: Should I come back to this title? - 3/15/2013 6:54:47 PM   
Gargoil

quote:

ORIGINAL: stormbringer3

I purchased WitE on its initial release and played it for quite a few months. I then moved on because of the air war, 1st winter and other issues. There have been years of patches and improvements so I'd like some opinions on the current state of the game especially the air war. I always start the long campaign.
Thanks.

I am very much like you. I played a full campaign over a year ago. I was left with the same issues you are concerned about. I am playing again (solo as German) now after laying of since that first playthru. I am loving it. The patches have definiately helped.

I also have modified my playstyle. On the first turn I let the AI run the attacks on Soviet Airfields. Since then, I run Recon and Fuel/Supply Drops manual (and an occassional Unit Bombing). I let the AI do any of the air transfers between bases (if it even does any, lol). I let the AI manage all Support Units.

I concentrate on strategy and tactics. Oh, I do replace a leader here and there. I do reorganize my command structure, keeping my units postioned to get the max benefit of there HQs. I play the game, with a bit of roleplaying out the extraineous. I find the game the best wargame I have every played on the PC while doing it this way.

(in reply to stormbringer3)
Post #: 3
RE: Should I come back to this title? - 3/16/2013 7:08:00 PM   
Numdydar

I play the same way Gargoil plays. I let the AI do most of the work. Just like the HoI series, you can micro manage every Air attack, SU change, etc. if that is what you want to do. but as the AI could never keep up with a human playing this way, it makes the game not as fun.

In HoI 3 you can manually attack and move every unit individually and easily beat the AI. Or you can have the AI take care of the fighting details and just assign objectives to the HQs. This way you, the player, are dealing with where the the attacks go, versus managing the details of the actual attacks.

WitE is similar. If you let the AI manage, SUs, replacements, etc. then you are allowing parts of the playing field to be 'more equal' since the same routines are being used for both sides 90% of the time. This is not to say you can't step in for sepcial circustances or you feel an area of the battlefied needs a 'human' touch

To me it seems kind of silly to up the difficulity level and then have to manage all the deatils to win versus just leaving at a normal level and reduce the player involvement in everything. Of course the nice thing is that the devs provided both of these choices . So if you want to win at a harder level by dealing with all the detials that needs, you can do so. While others can experience the same game and not have to

Edit: Really can't spell anymore

< Message edited by Numdydar -- 3/16/2013 7:10:13 PM >

(in reply to Gargoil)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Should I come back to this title? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI