Matrix Games Forums

Slitherine is recruiting: Programmers requiredPandora: Eclipse of Nashira gets release dateCommunity impressions of To End All WarsAgeod's To End All Wars is now availableTo End All Wars is now available!Deal of the Week: Field of GloryTo End All Wars: Video, AAR and Interview!Ageod's To End All Wars: Video, AAR and Interview!To End All Wars: Artillery Battle Academy 2: Eastern Front - End of Early Access
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Printed Game Manuals

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Printed Game Manuals Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Printed Game Manuals - 3/15/2013 12:57:59 AM   
KG Erwin

These are becoming old-fashioned, so I treasure the ones I DO have from games I've owned for a few years. One of the best is the one I have is from Schwerpunkt's Russo-German War, which included a printed reference card as well as a ring-bound user's guide, both of which serve as valuable references. Additional info is provided within the game itself, including instructions on the scenario editor. Even though the game is from 2001, all of this info greatly enhances the game experience.

As for another favorite, SPWaW, I simply printed out the PDF file game manual and have it bound in a three-ring binder.

All of this comes from the fact that I'm a book-lover, and my house has two book cabinets in it, a large one with six shelves and a smaller one with two shelves, and they are all packed. They occupy a wall on one side of my living room. The overflow is in cardboard boxes in front of the cabinets. I tend to hoard stuff, obviously, and I've collected a lot over the last 40 years.

< Message edited by KG Erwin -- 3/15/2013 1:19:38 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: Printed Game Manuals - 3/15/2013 2:37:19 AM   
shunwick

quote:

ORIGINAL: KG Erwin

These are becoming old-fashioned...

KG Erwin,

Not sure if they are old-fashioned. Just hugely expensive to produce. Must admit though, I also have a liking for printed manuals.

Best wishes,
Steve

I love the smell of TOAW in the morning...

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 2
RE: Printed Game Manuals - 3/15/2013 5:44:06 AM   
Matti Kuokkanen

If TOAW3 had printed manual, I'd have ordered it instead download.

quote:

ORIGINAL: shunwick

quote:

ORIGINAL: KG Erwin

These are becoming old-fashioned...

KG Erwin,

Not sure if they are old-fashioned. Just hugely expensive to produce. Must admit though, I also have a liking for printed manuals.

Best wishes,
Steve

To give you an idea about price of printing and distribution, 400 page thick hardcover wargame rulebook of high quality paper and coloured pages cost in here (Finland) 50 €uros. PDF download of that same book cost $15. And to top it off:
quote:

Heck, most laptops weigh less than TacOps

TacOps = Tactical Operations = rulebook I'm talking about

You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars

(in reply to shunwick)
Post #: 3
RE: Printed Game Manuals - 3/16/2013 9:26:37 PM   
Rtwfreak

You should get Dominions III Erwin. Huge manual and lots of reference pages. Think it's like 300 pages but don't quote me on that.

(in reply to Matti Kuokkanen)
Post #: 4
RE: Printed Game Manuals - 3/17/2013 5:08:38 PM   
Perturabo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Matti Kuokkanen

To give you an idea about price of printing and distribution, 400 page thick hardcover wargame rulebook of high quality paper and coloured pages cost in here (Finland) 50 €uros. PDF download of that same book cost $15. And to top it off:

Wargames didn't have manuals like that. They were usually softcover, black and white or with 6 colours or so and less than 150 pages long.
Usually the only full colour parts were book cover, map and game catalogue.

Without social solidarity manifested in the form of welfare state, people inhabiting one territory are a non-nation of mortal enemies engaged in competition for survival.

Post #: 5
RE: Printed Game Manuals - 3/17/2013 5:41:19 PM   
Matti Kuokkanen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Perturabo

Wargames didn't have manuals like that. They were usually softcover, black and white or with 6 colours or so and less than 150 pages long.

That's BattleTech Master Rules you're talking about. Totally obsolete now. New basic core rulebook for that game now is Total Warfare with over 300 pages, all coloured. I paid 45 € for that.

[edit]
Newest Warhammer 40k rulebook has 435 pages for 60 €

< Message edited by Matti Kuokkanen -- 3/17/2013 5:44:10 PM >

You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars

(in reply to Perturabo)
Post #: 6
RE: Printed Game Manuals - 3/17/2013 9:00:43 PM   
LarryP

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rtwfreak

You should get Dominions III Erwin. Huge manual and lots of reference pages. Think it's like 300 pages but don't quote me on that.

294 pages spiral bound and excellent. Game AND manual are great. Probably one of the most bug free games I own, and it is packed with stuff. For anybody that loves RTS fantasy games, this is the top dog in my opinion.

(in reply to Rtwfreak)
Post #: 7
RE: Printed Game Manuals - 3/17/2013 9:07:05 PM   
chemkid

hi there!

i wished for a printed wite manual, too...
i bought the download-version and was happy to get the manual printed at 1buch.de -
sure, it would've been cheaper if i just bought the boxed version...
but after reading the note on 'the hardcopy manual' i was rather happy to print it myself.

books rock! (btw, a 2nd screen to read a pdf, too...)

cheers!
chem!

(in reply to LarryP)
Post #: 8
RE: Printed Game Manuals - 3/17/2013 10:10:22 PM   
Greybriar

If it's a game I really like, I will buy its retail boxed version if it contains a printed paper manual. Most of the time I only use a manual for reference anyway and many games (think Civilization, for example) have an ingame reference which suffices. Alt+tabbing to view a .pdf manual usually works, but not always.

But every once in awhile I like to get comfortable somewhere and just read about the new game I've fallen in love with.

This war is not about slavery. --Robert E. Lee

(in reply to chemkid)
Post #: 9
RE: Printed Game Manuals - 3/17/2013 10:10:46 PM   
Perturabo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Matti Kuokkanen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Perturabo

That's BattleTech Master Rules you're talking about. Totally obsolete now. New basic core rulebook for that game now is Total Warfare with over 300 pages, all coloured. I paid 45 € for that.

[edit]
Newest Warhammer 40k rulebook has 435 pages for 60 €

Rules for expensive miniature wargames are a completely different cup for tea than manuals for computer wargames.

Manuals that I have:
War in Middle Earth - 56 page black and white manual booklet , black and white map.
Laser Squad - 20 page black and white manual on high quality paper.
Fire-Brigade - 74 page black and white manual, 24 page scenario booklet, 4 page technical supplement. (though there's also a colour version).
Halls of Montezuma - 104 page black and white and two shades of brown manual with a colour cover, colour mape and colour menu map on high quality paper.
Austerlitz (Peter Turcan) - 24 page black and white manual booklet, colour map on high quality paper.
Armada (Peter Turcan) - 73 page black and white manual booklet with a colour cover and a colour map on high quality paper
War in Russia - 77 page black and white manual, 4 page technical supplement.
Patriot - 62 page training manual and 40 page page operations manual, both black and white and with colour cover, 20 page technical supplement.
UFO: Enemy Unknown - 126 page grayscale manual on high quality paper with colour cover, 12 page black and white technical supplement.
X-Com 3: Apocalypse - 200 page black and white manual.

Without social solidarity manifested in the form of welfare state, people inhabiting one territory are a non-nation of mortal enemies engaged in competition for survival.

Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Printed Game Manuals Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote