Defining Specific Empires/Factions Per Race, Modding Question

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario, art and sound modding and the game editor for Distant Worlds.

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

RavenX

Defining Specific Empires/Factions Per Race, Modding Question

Post by RavenX »

Hello, I'm working on my own personal Theme for playing DW and I've ran into a few modding questions early on. Any help would be much appreciated.

My Theme's goal is to have all my favorite races and empires/factions from various sci-fi shows and movies I've watched and been a fan of all my life. I'd like to have a few Star Trek races and their factions in my game (which shouldn't be too hard with all the Awesome ST mods here), a race/faction or two from Star Wars, two factions (with one specific race) from Babylon 5, and maybe one or two others.

With the modding guide I know how to make a race and assign pictures and ship designs to it. My question/problem is what do I do when I have multiple specific factions that all use the Same Race. In Star Wars both empires/factions I wish to use are human, as one from Star Trek and one from Babylon 5.

I can't seem to find a way to specify for a single race to make multiple specific empires. Humans in my theme need at least four separate factions all using their own pictures and ship designs. Is it possible to make one race have four specific factions in my theme or should I make four individual races of Humans and just name them all something different?

I.E.
Federation Humans
Star Wars Human Empire
Star Wars Rebel Human Empire
Babylon 5 Humans

Thanks for taking the time to read this and to reply if indeed you do so. I'm sure these are probably some newb questions even after having read through the modding guide and checking out some of the great mods here like DW:Extended.
What do I see? I see time as it affects all things. Human flesh whithers and dies before my eyes. Flowers bloom, only to fade. Trees drop green leaves, never to regain them. In my sight, it is always winter, always night. ~ Raistlin Majere
Antiscamp

RE: Defining Specific Empires/Factions Per Race, Modding Question

Post by Antiscamp »

Yep. That's how you do it. A new race for each faction. That's how I've done it in my Human Revolution mod when I've divided the human race into several new factions.
RavenX

RE: Defining Specific Empires/Factions Per Race, Modding Question

Post by RavenX »

Much appreciated Antiscamp, thank you. I've found a lot of cool things to do playing around with the scripts and file structure, though I'm Not much of a coder. It does strike me as odd that with as much freedom as there is to mod things in DW that there isn't a separate script to specify or defines Empires/Factions. In a game with as many races as DW it seems like a pretty big over-sight. Then again when you weigh that against the other modding freedoms DW gives us I guess we can't complain too much.

Thanks again for the help my friend.
What do I see? I see time as it affects all things. Human flesh whithers and dies before my eyes. Flowers bloom, only to fade. Trees drop green leaves, never to regain them. In my sight, it is always winter, always night. ~ Raistlin Majere

Return to “Design and Modding”