Matrix Games Forums

Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm version 2.08 is now available!Command gets huge update!Order of Battle: Pacific Featured on Weekly Streaming SessionA new fight for Battle Academy!Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager is out for Mac!The definitive wargame of the Western Front is out now! War in the West gets teaser trailer and Twitch Stream!New Preview AAR for War in the West!War in the West Manual previewThe fight for Armageddon begins!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Hell bent on Lebensraum II (no 821Bobo)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: Hell bent on Lebensraum II (no 821Bobo) Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Hell bent on Lebensraum II (no 821Bobo) - 3/22/2013 4:24:46 PM   
janh

quote:

ORIGINAL: gingerbread
In general, the player moving first in a turn does benefit from random weather...

You are right with that. I-Go-U-Go provides sort of a built-in initiative, that's also is true with respect to weather. Perhaps one solution would have been giving the 2nd player ought a "free" weather preview. Unfortunately that won't change with WitW. Hopefully with a finer grain weather model, and perhaps weather forecasts, this will become less critical.

< Message edited by janh -- 3/22/2013 4:25:23 PM >

(in reply to gingerbread)
Post #: 31
RE: Hell bent on Lebensraum II (no 821Bobo) - 3/22/2013 10:04:20 PM   
Scook_99

What I would like is a 3rd option: Random weather after the 1st 17 turns of clear. That might be asking too much, but I do agree with MT about the opening offensive in the game.

(in reply to janh)
Post #: 32
RE: Hell bent on Lebensraum II (no 821Bobo) - 3/22/2013 11:28:35 PM   
Michael T

quote:

Random weather after the 1st 17 turns of clear

I like that idea too.

'Deus le Volt!'
------------------

(in reply to Scook_99)
Post #: 33
RE: Hell bent on Lebensraum II (no 821Bobo) - 3/22/2013 11:34:57 PM   
Michael T

Another thing I do is that what ever HR or condition I employ I am always happy to play either side. I generally leave the choice of side to my opponent. Anyone here who thinks that my conditions are so horribly in favour of the Axis is perfectly free to challenge me to a game where I play Soviet.

< Message edited by Michael T -- 3/22/2013 11:36:10 PM >

'Deus le Volt!'
------------------

(in reply to Michael T)
Post #: 34
RE: Hell bent on Lebensraum II (no 821Bobo) - 3/23/2013 1:23:57 AM   
Flaviusx

Michael, unless you start giving your opponents handicaps, you're going to rapidly run out of them. The only people you will be able to convince to play you under your preferred conditions as the Axis are unsuspecting marks not likely to give you a challenging game.

I really do not understand how you can derive any satisfaction from these lopsided games you play that hardly get past 1941. Not very sporting.

The fact that you are willing to play under the same conditions as the Soviets is quite immaterial. You might have to give your opponents a different handicap playing the Sovs.

WitE Alpha Tester

(in reply to Michael T)
Post #: 35
RE: Hell bent on Lebensraum II (no 821Bobo) - 3/23/2013 2:29:03 AM   
Michael T

I have plenty of willing opponents. You need not concern yourself.

'Deus le Volt!'
------------------

(in reply to Flaviusx)
Post #: 36
RE: Hell bent on Lebensraum II (no 821Bobo) - 3/23/2013 2:38:42 AM   
Flaviusx

The poor bastards.

WitE Alpha Tester

(in reply to Michael T)
Post #: 37
RE: Hell bent on Lebensraum II (no 821Bobo) - 3/23/2013 3:43:05 AM   
Pelton

quote:

ORIGINAL: Flaviusx

Michael, unless you start giving your opponents handicaps, you're going to rapidly run out of them. The only people you will be able to convince to play you under your preferred conditions as the Axis are unsuspecting marks not likely to give you a challenging game.

I really do not understand how you can derive any satisfaction from these lopsided games you play that hardly get past 1941. Not very sporting.

The fact that you are willing to play under the same conditions as the Soviets is quite immaterial. You might have to give your opponents a different handicap playing the Sovs.

I have only played 1 ( am playing ) as SHC, but surviving 1941 vs MT looks easy really.

Its the same old cookie cutter MT over and over for the last 2 yrs. Kinda amazing that person after person falls for the same old BS over and over.

MT is getting boring really at this point.

GHC WitE 24 - 4 - 8
GHC WitW 0 - 0 - 0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DiSQ36zfWk

(in reply to Flaviusx)
Post #: 38
RE: Hell bent on Lebensraum II (no 821Bobo) - 3/23/2013 9:02:38 AM   
STEF78

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pelton

quote:

ORIGINAL: Flaviusx

I have only played 1 ( am playing ) as SHC, but surviving 1941 vs MT looks easy really.

Its the same old cookie cutter MT over and over for the last 2 yrs. Kinda amazing that person after person falls for the same old BS over and over.

MT is getting boring really at this point.

You're not fair, MT is impressive but not boring. I'm learning from each of his AAR.

Perhaps you should try MT as SHC.

(in reply to Pelton)
Post #: 39
RE: Hell bent on Lebensraum II (no 821Bobo) - 3/23/2013 11:10:49 PM   
sillyflower

quote:

ORIGINAL: Michael T

quote:

Random weather after the 1st 17 turns of clear

I like that idea too.

Madness for a Russian to agree. Random weather benefits the player who knows what the weather will be in his opponents turn. That's Jerry.

web exchange

Post: I am always fearful that when I put this game down on the table and people see the box-art they will think I am some kind of neo-Nazi

Reply: They already know you're a gamer. What other shame can possibly compare?

(in reply to Michael T)
Post #: 40
RE: Hell bent on Lebensraum II (no 821Bobo) - 3/24/2013 10:51:01 PM   
Michael T

End Axis T5 (17th July 1941) Clear

As can be seen from the map I have a lot of pockets to reduce. Robert is slowing the advance but at a terrible cost to him in RA units. I should be able to cross the Dniepr in the south on T6. He can't possibly defend it with what he has left down there.

The advance to Leningrad has been delayed due to 4th PzGp helping with the formation of the Vitebsk pocket. Things should get rolling again there now with the pockets secured with Inf ID and the railhead now close enough refuel the Panzers.

In the Centre a turn ot two of consolidation will be required before the next big push.

Attachment (1)

'Deus le Volt!'
------------------

(in reply to sillyflower)
Post #: 41
RE: Hell bent on Lebensraum II (no 821Bobo) - 3/25/2013 7:21:24 PM   
HITMAN202

Another 60 units isolated !!! What a start. Do you want to switch games with me ???

WITE is a good addiction with no cure.

(in reply to Michael T)
Post #: 42
RE: Hell bent on Lebensraum II (no 821Bobo) - 3/25/2013 9:16:34 PM   
vandev

Too many soviet's isolated at this stage of the game. Lack of counters will result in massive territorial gain my MT as well as even more isolated counters as an inadequate amount of units tries to defend. There is a curve of axis action vs soviet reaction and you are either ahead of this curve or behind. The soviet is too far behind too early. The game is over. The only question is when is the concession. Sorry Bobo I was kinda rooting for you here. The MT tactic off efficiently spending axis panzer mp's on turns 2 and 3 is deadly (i.e. resting some panzers while letting others convert hexes). I will be using this in my next axis game, cmbined with air refuling this presents some dangerous times for the soviets during turns 3,4 and 5. Hats off to you MT.

vandev

(in reply to HITMAN202)
Post #: 43
RE: Hell bent on Lebensraum II (no 821Bobo) - 3/25/2013 10:06:49 PM   
Pelton

MT northern and southern advances are really not that above average. Generally in the North on turn 5 GHC can be next to Leningrad and in the south over the rivers.

I think Bobo committed troops in the south that should have been north of Tula.

It Mt's center push that again Bob tried defending the land bridge when a screen is all thats needed.

I do no think Bobo is out of options yet, but he can't make to many more.

< Message edited by Pelton -- 3/25/2013 10:07:13 PM >

GHC WitE 24 - 4 - 8
GHC WitW 0 - 0 - 0

(in reply to vandev)
Post #: 44
RE: Hell bent on Lebensraum II (no 821Bobo) - 3/25/2013 10:29:17 PM   
Michael T

I think Robert is in a worse situation than M60 was at T5 so it will be interesting to see what he comes up with. There are still some remanent pockets just off to the west of the screenie. I count 55 Div's. That should equate to over 500K of POW's in the next few turns.

'Deus le Volt!'
------------------

(in reply to Pelton)
Post #: 45
RE: Hell bent on Lebensraum II (no 821Bobo) - 3/25/2013 11:58:10 PM   
M60A3TTS

If you bag a similar number of units south of Kiev as in our game, he will likely be in the same boat as I was. The Dnepr just isn't safe any more.

(in reply to Michael T)
Post #: 46
RE: Hell bent on Lebensraum II (no 821Bobo) - 3/26/2013 10:53:05 PM   
Pelton

quote:

ORIGINAL: M60A3TTS

If you bag a similar number of units south of Kiev as in our game, he will likely be in the same boat as I was. The Dnepr just isn't safe any more.

It has never been safe, I really can't remember a game where if the SHC stood and fought they did not get creamed. Even Flaviusx had to run for his life.

The south simply has to disregard the arm pts west of rivers and retreat east with a 3 layer screen. The first layer atleast 4 hexes from the first german unit. As SHC you will have to throw away a few units per turn to keep the forward thrust in a ZOC.

There simply is nothing that the GHC can do other then advance and possibly pocket a handfull of units each turn. This also forses GHC to have to attack with Mot/panzer units weakening them for when SHC stop retreating.

South of the marsh never has been safe and never will be vs a good+ GHC player. I have had everyone running from me the last dozens games. I can't for the life of me understand why poeple try to stand and fight vs MT in the south its nuts. Its nuts vs anyone because there is simply no need to do it.

The extra forses can be moved north.

All the top SHC players run in south and rail extra units north when they are playing anyone any good.

< Message edited by Pelton -- 3/26/2013 10:55:29 PM >

GHC WitE 24 - 4 - 8
GHC WitW 0 - 0 - 0

(in reply to M60A3TTS)
Post #: 47
RE: Hell bent on Lebensraum II (no 821Bobo) - 4/5/2013 11:56:43 PM   
Michael T

End Axis T9 (14th August 1941) Clear.

The past 2 turns saw the German spearheads grind to a halt due to supply problems and firming Soviet resistance in front of Moscow.

On T9 the advance in AGC resumed with some success towards Rhzev and Tula. Some small pockets achieved.

In the North Leningrad has been cut off for the past 2 turns but no assault on the City has begun yet. The grunts are only just arriving and the early birds have helped breach the Volkov rather than a direct assault on the city. The Finns are finding it very tough to crack the Janis line. For 2 turns a single Soviet ID has held back 6 Finnish ID including reserves.

In the South Robert has been retreating 4 to 5 hexes a turn since T6. So not much we have been able to do down there till this turn as no gas was available. But his space for this strategy his fast running out.

I am happy with the losses imposed on the Reds to date but he has managed to slow the advance quite well and has evacuated most of his critical industry. I have to say after a shaky start Robert has righted the ship and is making a fight of it. I doubt this game will end in 1941 unless he makes a sudden and large mistake.

It’s been a good game so far and I anticipate a 1942 summer campaign.

Attachment (1)

'Deus le Volt!'
------------------

(in reply to janh)
Post #: 48
RE: Hell bent on Lebensraum II (no 821Bobo) - 4/6/2013 11:58:12 AM   
Pelton

Good game by Bobo so far other then the one blunder in center, but SHC can recover from that in long run.

The land in south he will very easly recover during blizzard as Bobos blizzard O is very good, check my AAR IF you make it that far.

You look very thin in some areas of the front. I guess your massing troops for pushs, this will really bite you in ass if you don't even things out by around turn 13-15. I know your tring to cripple SHC so he gets crappy blizzard, but as long as he holds back the right units you can cause 4 million SHC losses and he still will have a crushing blizzard.

The other down side to thin areas is SHC can start building moral early after turn 12.

Your tank numbers seem low for you and low in general for turn 9.

< Message edited by Pelton -- 4/6/2013 5:11:44 PM >

GHC WitE 24 - 4 - 8
GHC WitW 0 - 0 - 0

(in reply to Michael T)
Post #: 49
RE: Hell bent on Lebensraum II (no 821Bobo) - 4/6/2013 8:52:19 PM   
vandev

We must be looking at different games Pelton. With a soviet OOB of 3.6mm and 2.3mm in losses by end of axis turn 9, this game is spiraling out of control for the soviet. But you can learn a lot from this situation.

vandev

(in reply to Pelton)
Post #: 50
RE: Hell bent on Lebensraum II (no 821Bobo) - 4/7/2013 12:50:13 AM   
Pelton

quote:

ORIGINAL: vandev

We must be looking at different games Pelton. With a soviet OOB of 3.6mm and 2.3mm in losses by end of axis turn 9, this game is spiraling out of control for the soviet. But you can learn a lot from this situation.

vandev

No not at all. I have kia 4 + million vs Brian almost took Moscow and hes pushing west in 43.

2.3 million is normal at turn 9. I have 3 loses and got 3.5 million each time.

SHC can take an amazing amount of loses 3.8 to 4.3 and still easly win in 44.

IF SHC know's what they are doing 4 million is no big deal in 41.

GHC WitE 24 - 4 - 8
GHC WitW 0 - 0 - 0

(in reply to vandev)
Post #: 51
RE: Hell bent on Lebensraum II (no 821Bobo) - 4/7/2013 12:52:45 AM   
Pelton

quote:

ORIGINAL: vandev

vandev

quote:

T9

Overall very happy with turns 7, 8 and 9. The infantry has finally caught up and is making its presence felt.

North
I finally breached the Luga line last turn and established a large bridgehead. This has resulted in a general Soviet withdrawal to the east of Leningrad. Robert has evacuated Leningrad of all its industry bar the Hvy. So there is no longer any great urgency in taking the place out. I might move out the Mech units soon and send them somewhere else. I have only been operating with 2 Pz and 2 Mot Divs up here since turn 2 so I am happy with the results considering the Mech forces involved. Indirectly the 2 Mech units missing have been operating in the south where large dividends have been paid.

Centre
Things moving somewhat slowly here for a while now. The Soviets are determined to hold Moscow it would seem. I have been content to take the offerings that are presented. That is multiple small pockets each turn that usually include a bag of large quality divisions. It seems my opponent is quite prepared to sacrifice the rest of Russia to save this one city. I don't mind this at all. If I get Moscow it will be late in the campaign, but with 100 Arm in the bag it's not a big priority for me now.

South
On turn 7 the Poltava pocket was expanded to include an even larger one just east of Kharkov. As usual the Soviet player (at least the ones I face) rather than cut a pocket loose threw more chips on the table which just resulted in even more losses. Anyway I had a really tight pocket that I figured was unbreakable but thanks to the hackers I lost my server save and had to redo the move, the result was still a large pocket but not as tight or as big as the original saved one. So missed probably another 10 Divs and a turn lost in cleaning up. So not really a ground hog day. Anyway Ivan un-isolated it. But turn 8 I hit pay dirt. Kharkov and Stalino (plus surrounding cities) all fell with all the Arm factories. 53 Arm in one hit. Not to mention a series of pockets finally sealed shut with around 25 divisions trapped. I just love seeing multiple divisions surrender with 10K-13K each. Ouch.

The south has been the real disaster area for Russia. The numbers of troops and Arm lost has been massive. I think this is a direct result of his focus on with Moscow. I reckon if 6 quality divisions had been sent to the Stalino area from Moscow on turn 7 he would have averted the disaster. And he can easily spare 6 units from Moscow. Anyway this turn he has run. Desperate to now save Rostov and its Arm. I can only watch this turn as the Panzers have finally run dry.

It's interesting to note how some players think. Robert was hell bent on taking Moscow from me in our previous game when I played Russian. Now he is just as determined to hold it as Russian. I think this is a crack that I can/have exploited.

Back again T12

The last time they played each other.

GHC WitE 24 - 4 - 8
GHC WitW 0 - 0 - 0

(in reply to vandev)
Post #: 52
RE: Hell bent on Lebensraum II (no 821Bobo) - 4/7/2013 12:54:07 AM   
Pelton

quote:

T12

Well Pelton you were right. Robert has conceded after seeing the results of my turn 12. This turn Moscow all but surrounded, all industry doomed bar the Arm which he got out. But he lost Stalingrad this turn with everything. Leningrad dying a slow death.

Total Arm captured 124.

It was a fun game for me and we both learned a lot from it. Robert is a reliable and competent opponent. He will take a lot from this defeat. He has a game with Pelton next so I wish him well.

GHC WitE 24 - 4 - 8
GHC WitW 0 - 0 - 0

(in reply to Pelton)
Post #: 53
RE: Hell bent on Lebensraum II (no 821Bobo) - 4/7/2013 12:55:10 AM   
Pelton

The same boring story, but the fuel nerfs will not let MT get to Stalingrad turn 12.

MT's been doing the same thing now for 2 yrs, not like hes doing anything new.

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3048697&mpage=1&key=

< Message edited by Pelton -- 4/7/2013 12:56:52 AM >

GHC WitE 24 - 4 - 8
GHC WitW 0 - 0 - 0

(in reply to Pelton)
Post #: 54
RE: Hell bent on Lebensraum II (no 821Bobo) - 4/7/2013 3:39:57 AM   
Michael T

If your so bored with my AAR's Pelton you can simply stay away.

'Deus le Volt!'
------------------

(in reply to Pelton)
Post #: 55
RE: Hell bent on Lebensraum II (no 821Bobo) - 4/17/2013 10:06:21 PM   
Michael T

Robert offered his resignation. I have accepted. He has time issues and by his own admission the Red Army is in very bad shape.

So on to the next game. I have several potential opponents on a list. So will work thru that before soliciting for a new game.

'Deus le Volt!'
------------------

(in reply to Michael T)
Post #: 56
RE: Hell bent on Lebensraum II (no 821Bobo) - 4/17/2013 11:33:13 PM   
Pelton

quote:

Robert offered his resignation. I have accepted. He has time issues and by his own admission the Red Army is in very bad shape.

So on to the next game. I have several potential opponents on a list. So will work thru that before soliciting for a new game.

Great game on your part, but it would be nice for your next opponent not to fall for the same thing again. Kinda hard to beleive Bobo made almost the same moves for a 2nd time in a row.

If Katza is around that would be a good game, hes not had anyone come even close to giving him a game as SHC.

GHC WitE 24 - 4 - 8
GHC WitW 0 - 0 - 0

(in reply to Michael T)
Post #: 57
RE: Hell bent on Lebensraum II (no 821Bobo) - 4/17/2013 11:51:03 PM   
Michael T

My current list of potential opponents is Kamil, Sillyflower and Shupov. If no game can be arranged with these guys I will try Ketza, but I am begining to feel like a game as Soviet again so don't know how much Axis play is left in me.

'Deus le Volt!'
------------------

(in reply to Pelton)
Post #: 58
RE: Hell bent on Lebensraum II (no 821Bobo) - 4/18/2013 12:06:37 AM   
Pelton

You have played Kamil alrdy, you played sillyflower before?

GHC WitE 24 - 4 - 8
GHC WitW 0 - 0 - 0

(in reply to Michael T)
Post #: 59
RE: Hell bent on Lebensraum II (no 821Bobo) - 4/18/2013 12:10:29 AM   
Michael T

No I have not played Kamil. We got T1 done but I stopped due to my underestimating the time restraints of a new born. Sillyflower and I played once way back when HQBU was unlimited in range.

'Deus le Volt!'
------------------

(in reply to Pelton)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: Hell bent on Lebensraum II (no 821Bobo) Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI