Now that we have a new Pope...

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Footslogger

Now that we have a new Pope...

Post by Footslogger »

I was looking for bon oppner, that German priest who opposed Hitler, anyway I found this!!

DivePac88

RE: Now that we have a new Pope...

Post by DivePac88 »

I suspect the church was much like the German public, with most people supporting the Nazis, and a few seeing the real truth. I also suspect that this is common occurrence with most populations, even modern ones.

Attachments
nazisalute.jpg
nazisalute.jpg (33.43 KiB) Viewed 22 times
When you see the Southern Cross, For the first time
You understand now, Why you came this way
tocaff

Post by tocaff »

Careful with this one.
Todd

I never thought that doing an AAR would be so time consuming and difficult.
www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2080768
Terminus

Post by Terminus »

It's "Footslogger"... He does these things. And don't say "we" about this. There is no "we".
We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.
Grfin Zeppelin

Post by Grfin Zeppelin »

Well I guess we(sorry Terminus) will soon have a crusade declared against the UK to take back the Malvinas from the heathens [:'(]

msieving1

Post by msieving1 »

I was looking for bon oppner, that German priest who opposed Hitler

Might help if you knew how to spell it. By the way, Dietrich Bonhoeffer was a Lutheran minister, not a priest.
-- Mark Sieving
John 3rd

Post by John 3rd »

ORIGINAL: DivePac88

I suspect the church was much like the German public, with most people supporting the Nazis, and a few seeing the real truth. I also suspect that this is common occurrence with most populations, even modern ones.

Look like a scene from the movie Victory!

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

warspite1

Indeed so - and if not actually supporting the Nazis, then were happy to go along with them because of the ecomonic "miracle" they seemed to be performing. As for the picture, one England player - Stan Cullis of Woverhampton Wanderers - refused to give the salute and was dropped from the team as a result.
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

Dietrich Bonhoeffer was a Lutheran minister.  Due to the church's support - outright or tacit - of the Nazi regime and its mandates to replace free churches with a state-run relgion, Bonhoeffer and others formed a new denomination/branch called the Confessing Church.  Bonhoeffer was a professor at the little seminary at the start of the war.  It was shut down by the Gestapo.

Bonhoeffer was active in the resistance movement, as were other members of his family and some of his friends in the Confessing Church (Martin Niemoller was a contemporary and, in stature, Bonhoeffer's elder).  Bonhoeffer continued his work when he joined the Abwehr.  He was active in helping Jews escape Germany and participated in some of the plotting to kill Hitler.

After the July 1944 assassination failed, Bonhoeffer was one of those arrested.  He was held and interrogated at length.  Finally, in the closing days of the war, he was executed - hung naked from the gallows.

It was a supreme irony - or wonderful confirmation - that Bonhoeffer authored a book called "The Cost of Discipleship."  It deals with the high cost of truly being a disciple of Jesus Christ (IE, it wasn't a political commentary).  Could he have demonstrated the cost of true discipleship any more clearly?
"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.
DivePac88

Post by DivePac88 »

One of the questions I have asked myself a few times, if in the same circumstances would I have been brave enough to stand-up too. I like to think I would have been stong, but the realist in me thinks I probably would have taken the easy way.
When you see the Southern Cross, For the first time
You understand now, Why you came this way
oldman45

Post by oldman45 »

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

Dietrich Bonhoeffer was a Lutheran minister.  Due to the church's support - outright or tacit - of the Nazi regime and its mandates to replace free churches with a state-run relgion, Bonhoeffer and others formed a new denomination/branch called the Confessing Church.  Bonhoeffer was a professor at the little seminary at the start of the war.  It was shut down by the Gestapo.

Bonhoeffer was active in the resistance movement, as were other members of his family and some of his friends in the Confessing Church (Martin Niemoller was a contemporary and, in stature, Bonhoeffer's elder).  Bonhoeffer continued his work when he joined the Abwehr.  He was active in helping Jews escape Germany and participated in some of the plotting to kill Hitler.

After the July 1944 assassination failed, Bonhoeffer was one of those arrested.  He was held and interrogated at length.  Finally, in the closing days of the war, he was executed - hung naked from the gallows.

It was a supreme irony - or wonderful confirmation - that Bonhoeffer authored a book called "The Cost of Discipleship."  It deals with the high cost of truly being a disciple of Jesus Christ (IE, it wasn't a political commentary).  Could he have demonstrated the cost of true discipleship any more clearly?

Thanks for taking the time to write about Bonhoffer.
RevRick

Post by RevRick »

Another good book to ready by Bonhoeffer is "Letters and Papers from Prison." The faith the man displays will astound you. I must tell you, he is no easy read, but the effort is worth it. One of the parts Canoerebel left out is that in June of 1939, he was in New York and was offered a seat at Yale, I believe, but decided he had to return to Germany to resist Hitler. The other fact is that he was held until the Brits were a day or so away form liberating the camp. Then he was executed.
"Action springs not from thought, but from a readiness for responsibility.” ― Dietrich Bonhoeffer
decaro

Post by decaro »

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

... It was a supreme irony - or wonderful confirmation - that Bonhoeffer authored a book called "The Cost of Discipleship."  It deals with the high cost of truly being a disciple of Jesus Christ (IE, it wasn't a political commentary).  Could he have demonstrated the cost of true discipleship any more clearly?

I think Bonhoeffer had already demonstrated that discipleship when he decided, against the advice of his friends, to return to Nazi Germany when he was safely living and teaching at a NYC seminary.

However, his fate was sealed when a fellow conspirator of Bonhoeffer's actually left a list of their names on his desk at the Abwehr in plain site after the failed coup.
Stratford, Connecticut, U.S.A.[center]Image[/center]
[center]"The Angel of Okinawa"[/center]
Home of the Chance-Vought Corsair, F4U
The best fighter-bomber of World War II
Thayne

Post by Thayne »

One of the questions I have asked myself a few times, if in the same circumstances would I have been brave enough to stand-up too. I like to think I would have been stong, but the realist in me thinks I probably would have taken the easy way.

A better question to ask is: if in the same circumstances, would you have seen the acts as wrong?

An underappreciated fact about human psychology is how easy it is for people to convince themselves of the legitimacy of such things when it helps them to fit in. Hitler was very popular - the cheering crowds were seldom staged. Many supporters of Hitler were regular people - like you and me. Many who supported slavery, who burned witches, who slaughtered whole communities of "heathens" and "heretics" are regular people convinced utterly that they are doing that which is right.
decaro

Post by decaro »

ORIGINAL: warspite1

warspite1

Indeed so - and if not actually supporting the Nazis, then were happy to go along with them because of the ecomonic "miracle" they seemed to be performing. As for the picture, one England player - Stan Cullis of Woverhampton Wanderers - refused to give the salute and was dropped from the team as a result.

Is this photo from the '38 Olympics in Germany?

If so, the State Dept. forbade the US team from giving the Olympic salute, which was indistinguishable from the Nazi salute.

BTW, there hasn't been an Olympic salute since the end of WW II.
Stratford, Connecticut, U.S.A.[center]Image[/center]
[center]"The Angel of Okinawa"[/center]
Home of the Chance-Vought Corsair, F4U
The best fighter-bomber of World War II
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: Joe D.
ORIGINAL: warspite1

warspite1

Is this photo from the '38 Olympics in Germany?

If so, the State Dept. forbade the US team from giving the Olympic salute, which was indistinguishable from the Nazi salute.

BTW, there hasn't been an Olympic salute since the end of WW II.
warspite1

No its not - and there are two stand out clues as to why:

a) The Berlin Olympics were staged in 1936
b) If it was it would have been a picture of the Great Britain team - not England [;)]

However, this match was played in the Olympic Stadium, Berlin, in May 1938,
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”