Matrix Games Forums

Slitherine is recruiting: Programmers requiredPandora: Eclipse of Nashira gets release dateCommunity impressions of To End All WarsAgeod's To End All Wars is now availableTo End All Wars is now available!Deal of the Week: Field of GloryTo End All Wars: Video, AAR and Interview!Ageod's To End All Wars: Video, AAR and Interview!To End All Wars: Artillery Battle Academy 2: Eastern Front - End of Early Access
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Now that we have a new Pope...

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Now that we have a new Pope... Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Now that we have a new Pope... - 3/13/2013 10:50:04 PM   
Footslogger

I was looking for bon oppner, that German priest who opposed Hitler, anyway I found this!!

Attachment (1)
Post #: 1
RE: Now that we have a new Pope... - 3/13/2013 11:21:21 PM   
DivePac88

I suspect the church was much like the German public, with most people supporting the Nazis, and a few seeing the real truth. I also suspect that this is common occurrence with most populations, even modern ones.

Attachment (1)

When you see the Southern Cross, For the first time
You understand now, Why you came this way

(in reply to Footslogger)
Post #: 2
RE: Now that we have a new Pope... - 3/13/2013 11:23:46 PM   
tocaff

Careful with this one.

Todd

I never thought that doing an AAR would be so time consuming and difficult.
www.matrixgames.com/forum/tm.asp?m=2080768

(in reply to DivePac88)
Post #: 3
RE: Now that we have a new Pope... - 3/14/2013 12:03:45 AM   
Terminus

It's "Footslogger"... He does these things. And don't say "we" about this. There is no "we".

< Message edited by Terminus -- 3/14/2013 12:05:23 AM >

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to tocaff)
Post #: 4
RE: Now that we have a new Pope... - 3/14/2013 12:22:30 AM   
Gräfin Zeppelin

Well I guess we(sorry Terminus) will soon have a crusade declared against the UK to take back the Malvinas from the heathens

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 5
RE: Now that we have a new Pope... - 3/14/2013 12:53:52 AM   
msieving1

quote:

I was looking for bon oppner, that German priest who opposed Hitler

Might help if you knew how to spell it. By the way, Dietrich Bonhoeffer was a Lutheran minister, not a priest.

(in reply to Footslogger)
Post #: 6
RE: Now that we have a new Pope... - 3/14/2013 2:47:17 AM   
John 3rd

quote:

ORIGINAL: DivePac88

I suspect the church was much like the German public, with most people supporting the Nazis, and a few seeing the real truth. I also suspect that this is common occurrence with most populations, even modern ones.

Look like a scene from the movie Victory!

Member: Reluctant Admiral and Perfect War Mod Team.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:
https://sites.google.com/site/reluctantadmiral/

(in reply to DivePac88)
Post #: 7
RE: Now that we have a new Pope... - 3/14/2013 7:48:09 AM   
warspite1

quote:

warspite1

Indeed so - and if not actually supporting the Nazis, then were happy to go along with them because of the ecomonic "miracle" they seemed to be performing. As for the picture, one England player - Stan Cullis of Woverhampton Wanderers - refused to give the salute and was dropped from the team as a result.

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 3/14/2013 7:56:37 AM >

England expects that every man will do his duty - Horatio Nelson 1805.

(in reply to DivePac88)
Post #: 8
RE: Now that we have a new Pope... - 3/14/2013 7:53:57 PM   
Canoerebel

Dietrich Bonhoeffer was a Lutheran minister.  Due to the church's support - outright or tacit - of the Nazi regime and its mandates to replace free churches with a state-run relgion, Bonhoeffer and others formed a new denomination/branch called the Confessing Church.  Bonhoeffer was a professor at the little seminary at the start of the war.  It was shut down by the Gestapo.

Bonhoeffer was active in the resistance movement, as were other members of his family and some of his friends in the Confessing Church (Martin Niemoller was a contemporary and, in stature, Bonhoeffer's elder).  Bonhoeffer continued his work when he joined the Abwehr.  He was active in helping Jews escape Germany and participated in some of the plotting to kill Hitler.

After the July 1944 assassination failed, Bonhoeffer was one of those arrested.  He was held and interrogated at length.  Finally, in the closing days of the war, he was executed - hung naked from the gallows.

It was a supreme irony - or wonderful confirmation - that Bonhoeffer authored a book called "The Cost of Discipleship."  It deals with the high cost of truly being a disciple of Jesus Christ (IE, it wasn't a political commentary).  Could he have demonstrated the cost of true discipleship any more clearly?

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 9
RE: Now that we have a new Pope... - 3/14/2013 11:49:42 PM   
DivePac88

One of the questions I have asked myself a few times, if in the same circumstances would I have been brave enough to stand-up too. I like to think I would have been stong, but the realist in me thinks I probably would have taken the easy way.

When you see the Southern Cross, For the first time
You understand now, Why you came this way

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 10
RE: Now that we have a new Pope... - 3/15/2013 1:45:08 AM   
oldman45

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

Dietrich Bonhoeffer was a Lutheran minister.  Due to the church's support - outright or tacit - of the Nazi regime and its mandates to replace free churches with a state-run relgion, Bonhoeffer and others formed a new denomination/branch called the Confessing Church.  Bonhoeffer was a professor at the little seminary at the start of the war.  It was shut down by the Gestapo.

Bonhoeffer was active in the resistance movement, as were other members of his family and some of his friends in the Confessing Church (Martin Niemoller was a contemporary and, in stature, Bonhoeffer's elder).  Bonhoeffer continued his work when he joined the Abwehr.  He was active in helping Jews escape Germany and participated in some of the plotting to kill Hitler.

After the July 1944 assassination failed, Bonhoeffer was one of those arrested.  He was held and interrogated at length.  Finally, in the closing days of the war, he was executed - hung naked from the gallows.

It was a supreme irony - or wonderful confirmation - that Bonhoeffer authored a book called "The Cost of Discipleship."  It deals with the high cost of truly being a disciple of Jesus Christ (IE, it wasn't a political commentary).  Could he have demonstrated the cost of true discipleship any more clearly?

Thanks for taking the time to write about Bonhoffer.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 11
RE: Now that we have a new Pope... - 3/15/2013 2:09:41 AM   
RevRick

Another good book to ready by Bonhoeffer is "Letters and Papers from Prison." The faith the man displays will astound you. I must tell you, he is no easy read, but the effort is worth it. One of the parts Canoerebel left out is that in June of 1939, he was in New York and was offered a seat at Yale, I believe, but decided he had to return to Germany to resist Hitler. The other fact is that he was held until the Brits were a day or so away form liberating the camp. Then he was executed.

"Action springs not from thought, but from a readiness for responsibility.” ― Dietrich Bonhoeffer

(in reply to oldman45)
Post #: 12
RE: Now that we have a new Pope... - 3/15/2013 2:31:05 PM   
Joe D.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

... It was a supreme irony - or wonderful confirmation - that Bonhoeffer authored a book called "The Cost of Discipleship."  It deals with the high cost of truly being a disciple of Jesus Christ (IE, it wasn't a political commentary).  Could he have demonstrated the cost of true discipleship any more clearly?

I think Bonhoeffer had already demonstrated that discipleship when he decided, against the advice of his friends, to return to Nazi Germany when he was safely living and teaching at a NYC seminary.

However, his fate was sealed when a fellow conspirator of Bonhoeffer's actually left a list of their names on his desk at the Abwehr in plain site after the failed coup.

Stratford, Connecticut, U.S.A.

"The Angel of Okinawa"

Home of the Chance-Vought Corsair, F4U
The best fighter-bomber of World War II

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 13
RE: Now that we have a new Pope... - 3/15/2013 2:33:32 PM   
Thayne

quote:

One of the questions I have asked myself a few times, if in the same circumstances would I have been brave enough to stand-up too. I like to think I would have been stong, but the realist in me thinks I probably would have taken the easy way.

A better question to ask is: if in the same circumstances, would you have seen the acts as wrong?

An underappreciated fact about human psychology is how easy it is for people to convince themselves of the legitimacy of such things when it helps them to fit in. Hitler was very popular - the cheering crowds were seldom staged. Many supporters of Hitler were regular people - like you and me. Many who supported slavery, who burned witches, who slaughtered whole communities of "heathens" and "heretics" are regular people convinced utterly that they are doing that which is right.

< Message edited by Thayne -- 3/15/2013 4:13:25 PM >

(in reply to DivePac88)
Post #: 14
RE: Now that we have a new Pope... - 3/15/2013 2:38:14 PM   
Joe D.

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

quote:

warspite1

Indeed so - and if not actually supporting the Nazis, then were happy to go along with them because of the ecomonic "miracle" they seemed to be performing. As for the picture, one England player - Stan Cullis of Woverhampton Wanderers - refused to give the salute and was dropped from the team as a result.

Is this photo from the '38 Olympics in Germany?

If so, the State Dept. forbade the US team from giving the Olympic salute, which was indistinguishable from the Nazi salute.

BTW, there hasn't been an Olympic salute since the end of WW II.

Stratford, Connecticut, U.S.A.

"The Angel of Okinawa"

Home of the Chance-Vought Corsair, F4U
The best fighter-bomber of World War II

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 15
RE: Now that we have a new Pope... - 3/15/2013 7:35:19 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Joe D.

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

quote:

warspite1

Is this photo from the '38 Olympics in Germany?

If so, the State Dept. forbade the US team from giving the Olympic salute, which was indistinguishable from the Nazi salute.

BTW, there hasn't been an Olympic salute since the end of WW II.
warspite1

No its not - and there are two stand out clues as to why:

a) The Berlin Olympics were staged in 1936
b) If it was it would have been a picture of the Great Britain team - not England

However, this match was played in the Olympic Stadium, Berlin, in May 1938,

England expects that every man will do his duty - Horatio Nelson 1805.

(in reply to Joe D.)
Post #: 16
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Now that we have a new Pope... Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI