Matrix Games Forums

Deal of the Week - Pride of NationsA new update for Piercing Fortress EuropaNew screenshots for War in the West!Pike & Shot is now available!Server Maintenance Battle Academy 2 gets updated!Deal of the Week: Advanced Tactics Gold Ask Buzz Aldrin!Pike & Shot gets Release Date and Twitch Session!Deal of the Week Espana 1936
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Advice - only 2 full campaign

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Advice - only 2 full campaign Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Advice - only 2 full campaign - 3/13/2013 5:32:39 PM   
Gargoil

First off, let me state with that I am an avid wargamer. That include many PC games, such that the SSI, SSG Paradox and Matrix games, and old boardgames (Squad Leader, Longest Day, World in Flames, and yes, War in the east/War in Europe). So I am not lacking in experience.

This is my second playthru as German against a normal SU AI opponent. The first full playthru I had captured Leningrad, Moscow, the Crimea, and was on the outskirts of Stalingrad (some by 1942, Stalingrad by 1943). At that point the SU did start to push and I lost Moscow and was pushed away from Stalingrad. At that point my defense solidified, and I played to mid 1944 without losing significant ground or troops. I figured that this was a sure win, so stopped playing.

Now, a year later, I have returned to playing the game. This, only my second playthru, even though I have refined my attack, it looks like it is playing out quite similiar to my first playthru. I am just gone thru the first mud turns of 1941. I have almost cut Leningrad off from supply (outskirts), am closing on Moscow (4 hexes away) and Stalino (5 hexes with very weak opposition).

My questions is this:

1) Has patches made for the later part of the game to play out differently?
2) Do I have a better chance of an outright win?
3) Does the SU have a better chance of an aggressive successful late war campaign against me?

This is a great game, but I am hoping for a little replayability.
Post #: 1
RE: Advice - only 2 full campaign - 3/14/2013 5:07:31 AM   
mantrain

well these are certainly worthwhile questions and I look forward to a well thought out response.

(in reply to Gargoil)
Post #: 2
RE: Advice - only 2 full campaign - 3/14/2013 7:14:41 AM   
Toidi

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gargoil

My questions is this:

3) Does the SU have a better chance of an aggressive successful late war campaign against me?

Hi Gargoil, the patches made the game to play out differently. That is for sure, though I am not sure whether it will be very different with the AI (it is a very different play against human as Soviets are a bit weaker later on and a bit stronger early on). You have good chance to win against AI in '42 and '43, when you play against 100% opponent (especially if you use the 260VP scenario). Actually players when playing agains AI are winning on challenging level or 100 vs 115%/120%. Nonetheless AI in this game, although good, is not a match for a human, so you may like to jump into multiplayer and play against other folks. In human vs human stay assured that many players will be able to get to Berlin in '44 when playing against you. When playing against human opponent, you will also get plenty replayability.

If you insist to play against AI, consider playing 100% (German) vs 115% (Soviets) as German.

That is the best advice I can give.

Good luck,
T.

(in reply to Gargoil)
Post #: 3
RE: Advice - only 2 full campaign - 3/14/2013 3:59:32 PM   
Gargoil

quote:

ORIGINAL: Toidi

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gargoil

My questions is this:

Hi Gargoil, the patches made the game to play out differently. That is for sure, though I am not sure whether it will be very different with the AI (it is a very different play against human as Soviets are a bit weaker later on and a bit stronger early on). You have good chance to win against AI in '42 and '43, when you play against 100% opponent (especially if you use the 260VP scenario). Actually players when playing agains AI are winning on challenging level or 100 vs 115%/120%. Nonetheless AI in this game, although good, is not a match for a human, so you may like to jump into multiplayer and play against other folks. In human vs human stay assured that many players will be able to get to Berlin in '44 when playing against you. When playing against human opponent, you will also get plenty replayability.

If you insist to play against AI, consider playing 100% (German) vs 115% (Soviets) as German.

That is the best advice I can give.

Good luck,
T.

Toidi - Thanks for the answers and advice.

Multiplayer is difficult with my lifestyle. I many times can do 3-4 turns in one sitting, and then not get back to it for days. That is not something that is appropiate to multiplayer. So I am stuck with the AI.

I usually play my first game (of any game) on normal, then up the difficulty. But since I had only play once, and had a long layoff, and there were patches, I just started from scratch at normal again this time. I will surely use the 100%vs 115% next. I cannot see ever playing as the SU against a German AI, unless in a later start. No way the AI can come close to a good German '41 opening.

Actually, is there a way to switch sides? I would love to destroy my own earlier success, lol.

(in reply to Toidi)
Post #: 4
RE: Advice - only 2 full campaign - 3/14/2013 5:27:17 PM   
Joel Billings

Yes, you can switch sides, just load your save and go to the game options and switch the AI control, then end the turn and the AI will take over.

If you give the German AI a lot of help (Challenging at least, or 125 Axis/100 Soviet or 125/90) you should get a decent game. Given enough of a bonus it will do pocketing in 41 when the Soviets are weak. The more help you give it the better game you will have.

As for the 41 campaign, it will play out similarly if you use similar strategies. If you try a very different strategy the computer will react to you. The computer doesn't think very strategically, especially on the defense, but is mostly reactive. Human players tend to try different things which leads to more replayability.

Although I realize the campaign is what everyone focuses on, some of my favorite games were PBEM games of some of the medium length scenarios (Decision in the Ukraine and Drama on the Danube in the Don to the Danube expansion pack). These are small enough that you might be able to PBEM, while I found them large enough to be satisfying. This could be a way to play some PBEM if you can pull yourself from the Grand Campaign.

All understanding comes after the fact.
-- Soren Kierkegaard

(in reply to Gargoil)
Post #: 5
RE: Advice - only 2 full campaign - 3/14/2013 7:06:58 PM   
Gargoil

Responding to Mr. Billings:

Yes, you can switch sides, just load your save and go to the game options and switch the AI control, then end the turn and the AI will take over.

Excellent.

If you give the German AI a lot of help (Challenging at least, or 125 Axis/100 Soviet or 125/90) you should get a decent game. Given enough of a bonus it will do pocketing in 41 when the Soviets are weak. The more help you give it the better game you will have.

Makes sense. In the old SPI War in Europe, I loved playing against a competent Axis player with me as the SU. Despair defence is my specialty

As for the 41 campaign, it will play out similarly if you use similar strategies. If you try a very different strategy the computer will react to you. The computer doesn't think very strategically, especially on the defense, but is mostly reactive. Human players tend to try different things which leads to more replayability.

I would think that there would be the option of free setup in Wite 2.0? You Obviously will not be able to avoid free setup in WiE

Although I realize the campaign is what everyone focuses on, some of my favorite games were PBEM games of some of the medium length scenarios (Decision in the Ukraine and Drama on the Danube in the Don to the Danube expansion pack). These are small enough that you might be able to PBEM, while I found them large enough to be satisfying. This could be a way to play some PBEM if you can pull yourself from the Grand Campaign.

That is food for thought, Thank you

< Message edited by Gargoil -- 3/14/2013 7:07:41 PM >

(in reply to Joel Billings)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Advice - only 2 full campaign Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI