Matrix Games Forums

Pandora: Eclipse of Nashira is now availableDistant Worlds Gets another updateHell is Approaching Deal of the Week Battle Academy Battle Academy 2 Out now!Legions of Steel ready for betaBattle Academy 2 gets trailers and Steam page!Deal of the Week Germany at WarSlitherine Group acquires Shenandoah StudioNew information and screenshots for Pike & Shot
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Feud over where to bury Richard III

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: Feud over where to bury Richard III Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Feud over where to bury Richard III - 3/14/2013 7:25:03 AM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Punk Reaper

I couldn't tell that you are English as it isn't on your status. Historically it was incredible to find his bones under the car park and the forensics were really interesting but as for a state funeral for a long dead king I think in this time of austerity money could be better spent. And you know if Richard gets one Thatcher supporters will be clambering to get our uncrowned queen one as well.
warspite1

Yes, lets hope Lady Thatcher receives the state funeral she so obviously deserves when she drops off this mortal coil. A great lady and great Prime Minister.

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 3/14/2013 7:52:53 AM >

England expects that every man will do his duty - Horatio Nelson 1805.

(in reply to Punk Reaper)
Post #: 31
RE: Feud over where to bury Richard III - 3/14/2013 8:56:13 AM   
Punk Reaper

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

quote:

I couldn't tell that you are English as it isn't on your status. Historically it was incredible to find his bones under the car park and the forensics were really interesting but as for a state funeral for a long dead king I think in this time of austerity money could be better spent. And you know if Richard gets one Thatcher supporters will be clambering to get our uncrowned queen one as well.
warspite1

Yes, lets hope Lady Thatcher receives the state funeral she so obviously deserves when she drops off this mortal coil. A great lady and great Prime Minister.

I know of a car park that has a space for her

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 32
RE: Feud over where to bury Richard III - 3/14/2013 11:27:07 AM   
wodin

Well said. A land fill for Cameron.
quote:

quote:

quote:

warspite1

My Tactical wargame facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/Tacticalwargame

Post #: 33
RE: Feud over where to bury Richard III - 3/14/2013 12:08:48 PM   
martok

quote:

ORIGINAL: rogo727

I can speak for most Americans who have no English heritage who cares?

Please don't claim to speak for anyone else. Some of us Americans are fascinated by British (including English) history!

< Message edited by martok -- 3/14/2013 12:10:42 PM >

"Evil is easy, and has infinite forms." -- Pascal

(in reply to rogo727)
Post #: 34
RE: Feud over where to bury Richard III - 3/14/2013 12:52:46 PM   
wodin

Don't worry mate..Rogo has a thing about the British\English...think at times he lives under a bridge in Norway.
quote:

ORIGINAL: martok

quote:

Please don't claim to speak for anyone else. Some of us Americans are fascinated by British (including English) history!

(in reply to martok)
Post #: 35
RE: Feud over where to bury Richard III - 3/14/2013 1:05:17 PM   
catwhoorg

quote:

ORIGINAL: sulla05

As far as the money involved I wasn't talking about making it a state funeral with all the trappings. Make whatever lords or royals are closest in blood ( I know not many are, but some must have some small connection ) pay for the internment.

If they want to bury him somewhere else that is fine too.

I really do not think Richard was " buried " in the parking lot. It pretty much looks like they dug a hole and threw the dog in after he died.

He was actually buried in a monastry, which was subsequently destroyed and eventually the modern car park put on the site. (IIRC it was inside the building not just the grounds.)

Henry VII paid for a significant marble tomb/memorial for his foe.
Treated him with the respect due a King.

(in reply to sulla05)
Post #: 36
RE: Feud over where to bury Richard III - 3/14/2013 1:06:23 PM   
catwhoorg

quote:

I Laughed.

I disagree with the thought, but its still funny.

Post #: 37
RE: Feud over where to bury Richard III - 3/14/2013 1:08:12 PM   
catwhoorg

Oh and for the record as I have said in another thread, I believe in Westminster Abbey for his reburial, for no other reason than his wife is interred there.

(in reply to catwhoorg)
Post #: 38
RE: Feud over where to bury Richard III - 3/14/2013 4:17:55 PM   
wodin

I respect our history and also for the reason below he should be buried in Westminister. You can't put our morals on people from history. The world was a different and far more violent place as where the people who lived then.
quote:

ORIGINAL: catwhoorg

Oh and for the record as I have said in another thread, I believe in Westminster Abbey for his reburial, for no other reason than his wife is interred there.

< Message edited by wodin -- 3/14/2013 4:18:12 PM >

(in reply to catwhoorg)
Post #: 39
RE: Feud over where to bury Richard III - 3/14/2013 9:03:23 PM   
rogo727

Maybe Sweden but not Norway . And I think it started when I posted on the ww1 museum in Kansas City and you posted that Americans have no history... Really kinda put me off
quote:

ORIGINAL: wodin

Don't worry mate..Rogo has a thing about the British\English...think at times he lives under a bridge in Norway.
quote:

quote:

< Message edited by rogo727 -- 3/14/2013 9:21:03 PM >

"I thank God that I was warring on the gridirons of the midwest and not the battlefields of Europe"
Nile Kinnick 1918-1943

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 40
RE: Feud over where to bury Richard III - 3/14/2013 9:03:39 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

quote:

warspite1

warspite1

...and I have a cesspit ready and waiting for Blair, Brown & co - I wouldn't waste a perfectly good car-park on that lot.

Post #: 41
RE: Feud over where to bury Richard III - 3/14/2013 9:15:15 PM   
rogo727

I've always respected thatcher... I don't understand why so many English people don't like her.
quote:

quote:

warspite1

"I thank God that I was warring on the gridirons of the midwest and not the battlefields of Europe"
Nile Kinnick 1918-1943

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 42
RE: Feud over where to bury Richard III - 3/14/2013 9:41:46 PM   
wodin

Found the post..I never said Americans have no History..I said that I was surprised the Kansas museum only concentrated on the American side which was odd considering Americans had such a small input in it and to understand the war all sides should be represented..or I was under the impression at the time it was...I was then told that wasn't the case and took it back.

It's mentioned on our TV programs etc that Americans only really focus on their own History in school etc aswell..this is the impression people in the UK have of the American history education. Though ours isn't that better these days.

Please don't make out I've said things that I haven't said..it can only cause trouble.

quote:

Maybe Sweden but not Norway . And I think it started when I posted on the ww1 museum in Kansas City and you posted that Americans have no history... Really kinda put me off
quote:

quote:

quote:

< Message edited by wodin -- 3/14/2013 9:50:07 PM >

(in reply to rogo727)
Post #: 43
RE: Feud over where to bury Richard III - 3/14/2013 9:55:09 PM   
rogo727

Your original post before you edited was different wodin. I never know which wodin I am talking too..
quote:

Found the post..I never said Americans have no History..I said that I was surprised the Kansas museum only concentrated on the American side which was odd considering Americans had such a small input in it and to understand the war all sides should be represented..or I was under the impression at the time it was...I was then told that wasn't the case and took it back.

It's mentioned on our TV programs etc that Americans only really focus on their own History in school etc aswell..this is the impression people in the UK have of the American history education. Though ours isn't that better these days.

Please don't make out I've said things that I haven't said..it can only cause trouble.

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

< Message edited by rogo727 -- 3/14/2013 9:56:17 PM >

Nile Kinnick 1918-1943

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 44
RE: Feud over where to bury Richard III - 3/14/2013 10:02:44 PM   
wodin

Yeah I edited it before I actually checked the post you referred too..once I saw I never even said what you implied I changed it..so what?

Try all you want to squirm out of it..you quoted me wrong..made me doubt myself even as I knew I wouldn't have said that so went and checked it out.

Your now ignored bye.

< Message edited by wodin -- 3/14/2013 10:03:22 PM >

(in reply to rogo727)
Post #: 45
RE: Feud over where to bury Richard III - 3/14/2013 10:05:59 PM   
rogo727

I'm not going to argue with you. You offended me and others with your original post. Yes it's true you tried to back your way out. Good grief just admit it.
quote:

Yeah I edited it before I actually checked the post you referred too..once I saw I never even said what you implied I changed it..so what?

Try all you want to squirm out of it..you quoted me wrong..made me doubt myself even as I knew I wouldn't have said that so went and checked it out.

Your now ignored bye.

Nile Kinnick 1918-1943

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 46
RE: Feud over where to bury Richard III - 3/14/2013 10:32:46 PM   
Punk Reaper

quote:

I've always respected thatcher... I don't understand why so many English people don't like her.
quote:

quote:

warspite1

When Margaret Thatcher left Downing Street for the last time as prime minister in November 1990, she told the press: "We're very happy that we leave the United Kingdom in a very, very much better state than when we came here 11-and-a-half years ago."

Judged against certain criteria, she had a point. Few enjoy paying tax: her time in No 10 saw the basic rate fall from 33p to 25p and the top rate plunge from 83p to 40p. Everybody enjoys more disposable income: during her premiership, the average salary rose from £5,427 to £15,252. She also oversaw a decline in the annual number of working days lost in strikes from 29.5m to 1.9m.

Dig beneath the surface of these statistics, however, and a different picture emerges. In order to achieve constructive changes, Mrs Thatcher subjected Britain to a sequence of destructive upheavals. Her cure for the UK’s ills was attractive enough for a portion of its population to vote her into office three times, but the medicine was so objectionable she never received majority support.

In short, the apparatus she used to achieve her goals harmed just as many - if not more - than they helped. This was because her policies tended to involve short-term pain for many, but long-term gain for only a few.

Inflation doubled

Rather than stimulating the economy through investment and tax cuts, she tried to control the amount of money in circulation. Mrs Thatcher thought this would reduce inflation from its 1979 level of 10.3%. It didn't. Inflation doubled within a year and only fell to present day levels of 2-3% in 1986.

By this point, the damage had been done. To get to such a low level, indirect taxes had been hiked (VAT rose from 8% to 15%), as had interest rates (topping 17%). Subsidies for industry were reduced. The result was a massive rise in unemployment from 1.4m in 1979 to 3.5m by 1982, or one in eight people out of work. "I knew that when you change from one set of policies to another, the transition is very difficult," Mrs Thatcher later reflected, "but benefits would come in the longer run."

A disunited kingdom

Benefits did come, but not for everyone. Long-term unemployment blighted an entire generation in Northern Ireland (where 20% of people were left out of work), Scotland and the NE and NW of England (16%). Supporters insisted work was there to be found; critics argued it was unreasonable to expect people to leave homes and families to take a job 100 miles away.

A disunited kingdom emerged, as some parts of the country flourished while others faltered. Industry declined in the north; new sectors such as financial services boomed in the south. Mrs Thatcher went further, advocating both economic and moral belligerence. There was "no such thing as society, there are individual men and women and there are families." People should look to their own and not rely on the government for help.

This crystallised into her observation that the only reason the Good Samaritan did any good was "because he had money". Fine: everyone wants money and some made a lot during the Thatcher years, but what if you happened to live in a place where you couldn't earn any?

Selective prosperity

The prosperity Mrs Thatcher brought to Britain was selective, antagonistic and temporary. She did indeed leave Britain "very, very much better", but only for some. She also left it in recession, with unemployment, inflation and interest rates rising.

Above all, not only was she bad for the country during her premiership, she continues to be bad for the country today. The causes of the present slump - unrestricted credit, deregulation and too much financial speculation - all date back to the 1980s. No successive government dared reverse these decisions: a blessing to her legacy, but a curse we must now all share.

By Ian Jones

In short ... The rich got richer, the poor got poorer, the banks got deregulated and the economy got well and truly f@#%$

(in reply to rogo727)
Post #: 47
RE: Feud over where to bury Richard III - 3/14/2013 10:46:26 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

warspite1

When Margaret Thatcher left Downing Street for the last time as prime minister in November 1990, she told the press: "We're very happy that we leave the United Kingdom in a very, very much better state than when we came here 11-and-a-half years ago."

Judged against certain criteria, she had a point. Few enjoy paying tax: her time in No 10 saw the basic rate fall from 33p to 25p and the top rate plunge from 83p to 40p. Everybody enjoys more disposable income: during her premiership, the average salary rose from £5,427 to £15,252. She also oversaw a decline in the annual number of working days lost in strikes from 29.5m to 1.9m.

Dig beneath the surface of these statistics, however, and a different picture emerges. In order to achieve constructive changes, Mrs Thatcher subjected Britain to a sequence of destructive upheavals. Her cure for the UK’s ills was attractive enough for a portion of its population to vote her into office three times, but the medicine was so objectionable she never received majority support.

In short, the apparatus she used to achieve her goals harmed just as many - if not more - than they helped. This was because her policies tended to involve short-term pain for many, but long-term gain for only a few.

Inflation doubled

Rather than stimulating the economy through investment and tax cuts, she tried to control the amount of money in circulation. Mrs Thatcher thought this would reduce inflation from its 1979 level of 10.3%. It didn't. Inflation doubled within a year and only fell to present day levels of 2-3% in 1986.

By this point, the damage had been done. To get to such a low level, indirect taxes had been hiked (VAT rose from 8% to 15%), as had interest rates (topping 17%). Subsidies for industry were reduced. The result was a massive rise in unemployment from 1.4m in 1979 to 3.5m by 1982, or one in eight people out of work. "I knew that when you change from one set of policies to another, the transition is very difficult," Mrs Thatcher later reflected, "but benefits would come in the longer run."

A disunited kingdom

Benefits did come, but not for everyone. Long-term unemployment blighted an entire generation in Northern Ireland (where 20% of people were left out of work), Scotland and the NE and NW of England (16%). Supporters insisted work was there to be found; critics argued it was unreasonable to expect people to leave homes and families to take a job 100 miles away.

A disunited kingdom emerged, as some parts of the country flourished while others faltered. Industry declined in the north; new sectors such as financial services boomed in the south. Mrs Thatcher went further, advocating both economic and moral belligerence. There was "no such thing as society, there are individual men and women and there are families." People should look to their own and not rely on the government for help.

This crystallised into her observation that the only reason the Good Samaritan did any good was "because he had money". Fine: everyone wants money and some made a lot during the Thatcher years, but what if you happened to live in a place where you couldn't earn any?

Selective prosperity

The prosperity Mrs Thatcher brought to Britain was selective, antagonistic and temporary. She did indeed leave Britain "very, very much better", but only for some. She also left it in recession, with unemployment, inflation and interest rates rising.

Above all, not only was she bad for the country during her premiership, she continues to be bad for the country today. The causes of the present slump - unrestricted credit, deregulation and too much financial speculation - all date back to the 1980s. No successive government dared reverse these decisions: a blessing to her legacy, but a curse we must now all share.

By Ian Jones

In short ... The rich got richer, the poor got poorer, the banks got deregulated and the economy got well and truly f@#%$
warspite1

...and I guess we must agree to disagree. Your last comment was perhaps the most telling "the economy got well and truly *****".

Look at Britain pre - May 1979. The economy was well and truly ***** and deteriorating rapidly. Had Lady T not won the election that year then by 1982 the United Kingdom would have successfully been able to apply for 3rd world status.

Post #: 48
RE: Feud over where to bury Richard III - 3/14/2013 10:46:55 PM   
rogo727

He was making a general assumption . If you recall one of the people said he was Dutch not English. Also he made a point to say we share the same god and language. He never said your all English.
quote:

ORIGINAL: Joe D.

quote:

Reminds me of the scene from "Gettysburg" where the Brit officer observing Lee's forces notes the number of prominent combatants of English heritage from both sides now fighting one another.

Nile Kinnick 1918-1943

(in reply to Joe D.)
Post #: 49
RE: Feud over where to bury Richard III - 3/14/2013 10:54:14 PM   
rogo727

The same can be said about Reagan. But I can see no other leader, leading America at that time. i suppect this holds true about thatcher and England . Please remember that his first term WW3 was vert much real. I remember air raid drills in 5th and 6th grade about a soviet invasion in the USA . While we are paying for his decisions today we are in far better shape than Russia. I imagine this holds true for you too.
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

warspite1

Inflation doubled

A disunited kingdom

Selective prosperity

By Ian Jones

Nile Kinnick 1918-1943

Post #: 50
RE: Feud over where to bury Richard III - 3/14/2013 11:07:18 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

warspite1

......... all date back to the 1980s. No successive government dared reverse these decisions: a blessing to her legacy, but a curse we must now all share.

warspite1

That was disingenuous at very best. Lets not muck about - Tony Blair could have done anything, just about anything in his first two terms. He had a massive majority, he had the public on his side, he had an economy that was naturally coming out of recession. He had just about everything that a democratic leader can ask for. If he wanted to reverse those decisions he could (and the left wanted him too).

But no. So what did he do? Took us to war in Iraq. Put the Human Rights Act on the books. What a schmuck.....

Post #: 51
RE: Feud over where to bury Richard III - 3/14/2013 11:11:11 PM   
Punk Reaper

Maybe our driving is better than in Russia......

http://youtu.be/EfY8ynVdB_I

(in reply to rogo727)
Post #: 52
RE: Feud over where to bury Richard III - 3/14/2013 11:14:39 PM   
Punk Reaper

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

warspite1

......... all date back to the 1980s. No successive government dared reverse these decisions: a blessing to her legacy, but a curse we must now all share.

warspite1

That was disingenuous at very best. Lets not muck about - Tony Blair could have done anything, just about anything in his first two terms. He had a massive majority, he had the public on his side, he had an economy that was naturally coming out of recession. He had just about everything that a democratic leader can ask for. If he wanted to reverse those decisions he could (and the left wanted him too).

But no. So what did he do? Took us to war in Iraq. Put the Human Rights Act on the books. What a schmuck.....

Erm..... Who on here has been defending Tony Blair that you feel you have to go off on one. I think perhaps you are the only one who has mentioned him.Party political tosh.

< Message edited by Punk Reaper -- 3/14/2013 11:18:03 PM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 53
RE: Feud over where to bury Richard III - 3/14/2013 11:17:42 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

warspite1

warspite1

Erm..... Who on here has been talking about Tony Blair that you feel you have to go off on one. I think perhaps you are the only one. Party political tosh.

warspite1

Er what was this thread all about? - who was talking about Lady Thatcher until you felt you had to go off on one? I think perhaps you are the only one. Party political tosh.

Post #: 54
RE: Feud over where to bury Richard III - 3/14/2013 11:28:39 PM   
rogo727

Lol punk. Can I just say I have nothing against England or its people. Mr. W is one of the reasons I vist this site daily. I enjoy his posts. I do understand you two have different points of views much like myself and most Minnesota people and I guess you have to be American to understand that.
quote:

Maybe our driving is better than in Russia......

http://youtu.be/EfY8ynVdB_I

Nile Kinnick 1918-1943

Post #: 55
RE: Feud over where to bury Richard III - 3/14/2013 11:30:32 PM   
Punk Reaper

Obviously a touchy subject for you. As a die hard Conservative you are unable to take a joke. I obviously do not feel any desire to jump to the defence of any politician. Nuff said and goodnight.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 56
RE: Feud over where to bury Richard III - 3/14/2013 11:37:02 PM   
warspite1

quote:

Obviously a touchy subject for you. As a die hard Conservative you are unable to take a joke. I obviously do not feel any desire to jump to the defence of any politician. Nuff said and goodnight.
warspite1

Yes a touchy subject indeed for me. As you can tell from 90% of my posts I can take a joke - mostly self-deprecating ones - but I do react badly to some things and I know I shouldn't. Goodnight to you too PR.

Post #: 57
RE: Feud over where to bury Richard III - 3/14/2013 11:43:01 PM   
Punk Reaper

Sorry to upset you, nothing personal. You are allowed your views, I have mine. The freedom to express them is what's made our country Great...

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 58
RE: Feud over where to bury Richard III - 3/14/2013 11:44:01 PM   
wodin

Sorry I hate the Conservatives with a vengence..but hey this is to political I think.

Punk is from up North like myself and if you'd lived here during her tenure you'd know what we are talking about...still Cameron is an even greater evil. Blair..went to war..I don't care..things where OK for Joe Public under Blair.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 59
RE: Feud over where to bury Richard III - 3/14/2013 11:44:25 PM   
warspite1

quote:

Sorry to upset you, nothing personal. You are allowed your views, I have mine. The freedom to express them is what's made our country Great...
warspite1

Indeed so

Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: Feud over where to bury Richard III Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI