Matrix Games Forums

New information and screenshots for Pike & ShotDeal of the Week Pride of NationsTo End All Wars Releasing on Steam! Slitherine is recruiting: Programmers requiredPandora: Eclipse of Nashira gets release dateCommunity impressions of To End All WarsAgeod's To End All Wars is now availableTo End All Wars is now available!Deal of the Week: Field of GloryTo End All Wars: Video, AAR and Interview!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Revisiting The Eastern Front

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Revisiting The Eastern Front Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Revisiting The Eastern Front - 3/12/2013 11:04:43 PM   
KG Erwin

When I was 10 years old in 1967, the very first board wargame I ever played was Avalon Hill's Stalingrad. I still have it packed away in a closet. Then came Jim Dunnigan's massive "War In the East", which I bought in 1973. Still have that one, too. Over the years, I looked for a PC game to replace these. It finally came about in 2001 with Schwerpunkt's Russo-German War 1941-44. I recently revisited that game, and yes , it has been superceded by Grigsby's WITE, but it still gives me the feeling of playing a boardgame.

RGW 1.7 was the last version, and I'm glad that I bought it in the early 2000s. I'd recently thought about the subject of "monster" games, which made me think about giving it another try.

I'd briefly considered buying WITE, but the thought of a 373 page game manual was overwhelming. RGW's manual is 60 pages, and I already owned it, and after re-reading the rules, it seems fairly straightforward. Just like the Dunnigan boardgame, it doesn't have a complex rules structure nor a "cluttered with graphics" map. There's just a LOT of units and a BIG map. That's enough for me.

With a divorce pending and facing living alone again, I made a conscious decision to re-examine my older games, simply because I will have lots of free time while I get my life back in order.

Books note: I just ordered Guderian's unabridged version of "Panzer Leader". I've had the abridged paperback version for over 40 years, and it's in bad shape, so that's part of my new start. I also have a 1971 paperback edition of Paul Carell's "Hitler Moves East", which I will reread. There's maybe 25 Eastern Front books in my personal library.

< Message edited by KG Erwin -- 3/12/2013 11:32:03 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Revisiting The Eastern Front - 3/13/2013 11:08:40 AM   
EisenHammer

Hi KG Erwin,
Don't let WitE manual intimidate you. The game is easy to pick up and play when you start with the tutorials and the road to scenarios. I remember onetime havening a discussion with you a long long time ago about what if the Germans had a Panzer corps with the 11th army in Romanian at the start of Operation Barbarossa on the RGW forums over at the wargamer. I believe you were thinking about making a scenario about it. Anyways… WitE is probably one of the best wargame purchases that I have ever made. I don't think I ever read the manual, maybe just parts of it here and there.

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 2
RE: Revisiting The Eastern Front - 3/13/2013 4:51:48 PM   
Perturabo

quote:

ORIGINAL: KG Erwin

I'd briefly considered buying WITE, but the thought of a 373 page game manual was overwhelming.

Is reading the whole manual actually necessary, though?

Without social solidarity manifested in the form of welfare state, people inhabiting one territory are a non-nation of mortal enemies engaged in competition for survival.

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Revisiting The Eastern Front Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI