From: St. Louis
Just had a thought that might be worth including in future releases. It may be brilliant or not (probably not) and it may have already been thought of, suggested, discussed and dropped, but bear with me.
Allow engineer units to temporarily create a minor road.
1. The type of engineer unit and the number of engineer points required would be specified by the type of terrain. Multiple eng. units stacked together could achieve that specified level.
2. Units having sufficient eng. pts. would project a minor road into the hex they occupy and each of the six adjacent hexes. Thus by stringing engineer units every third hex you could create a minor road. The road would cease to exist if the unit left, was withdrawn or suffered sufficient casualties to lower its eng. pts. below those specified. Perhaps the fatigue level of the eng. unit might affect the viability of the road. Constant bombing could be effective in slowing enemy units down on such a road.
3. The specified eng. pt. level would be determined by the worst terrain in any one of the seven hexes.
Major roads: as above but except for;
1. The engineer unit only accomplishes a road in the hex it occupies. Therefore you would have to have engineers occupying every hex of your temporary major road.
2. The terrain requirements might be different than for minor roads, as in greater.
3. Strategic movement should not be allowed on temporary major roads.
I think it might be reasonable to decide to only use the minor road idea and drop the major road idea.
I think this would be a bad idea, but if it were to be done, here are some of the considerations involved;
1. Only specialized RR engineers would be able to do it. They would have to be researched and added to the game. There might be some provision for manpower in cities giving a bonus toward the construction in a radius from the city to be specified. Supplies would be consumed in the process and units with insufficient supply would not be able to do it.
2. The rail lines in the current artwork that go from a base and tail off without reaching another base should not be used. Your engineer string would have to stretch all the way from one base to another. I think the programming otherwise would be very difficult.
3. Garrison requirements in the game now would have to be met to accomplish creating the line. As before, the line would cease to exist if the engineering requirements are not met.
4. It would be cool if there were to be a provision for bombing damage, at least where the line crosses a river.
5. The terrain requirements and the length of line each RR engineer unit(s) project could and probably should be different than for minor and major roads.
Supply requirements and consumption or same probably should be in force for all three types of lines. I'm not aware of (in the case of railroads) any historical activity of this sort in the Pacific and Indian Ocean theaters, although there was damage inflicted and repairs made. Europe was a different matter, of course. Also, whether there should be a waiting period before the lines and perhaps a die roll based on leader values etc. as to timing should be considered.
Please discuss. I have only a vague idea of the programming difficulties involved. Of course, the value of these ideas to the game is debatable as well. You can just post a -1 if you don't like any of it.
edit: one more thing, enemy presence in a hex would obviate road movement even where the two hex sides involved were under friendly control.
< Message edited by geofflambert -- 3/12/2013 8:35:28 PM >