Matrix Games Forums

New Fronts are opening up for Commander: The Great WarCharacters of World War 1Sign of for the Pike and Shot Beta!More Games are Coming to Steam! Deal of the Week: Combat Command Return to the Moon on October 31st! Commander: The Great War iPad Wallpapers Generals of the Great WarDeal of the Week Panzer CorpsNew Strategy Titles Join the Family
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Which style?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command Ops Series >> RE: Which style? Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Which style? - 8/25/2013 9:23:57 AM   
dazkaz15

Are you referring to the multi coloured hex based counters as posted by wodin?

(in reply to Perturabo)
Post #: 61
RE: Which style? - 8/25/2013 1:10:24 PM   
Alchenar

quote:

ORIGINAL: dazkaz15

Thanks for the feedback.

All of the critical info you have just mentioned can be permanently displayed on the top bar, thus freeing up the general info tab for other tabs like OOB.

The dropdown tabs on the top bar would be entirely optional in use.

The tabs we have on the left as they are at the moment in game, would still work just as it does now, so you would have the option of using just that, or getting extra info from the drop downs on the permanently displayed top bar if you wished.

Go back a step. Currently information in the game is split by category-specific tabs, with everything not falling under a specific heading under 'general'. That's great for book-keeping and better than 99% of wargames but it isn't really the best solution. Making it easier to 'see everything' is a marginal improvement on the UI, but a very rapid dead-end in terms of how far you can go.

Instead of trying to rearrange the information that's already present in the UI, make a list of crucial information (ie. the things a player will almost always need to know to make a decision). As much as possible that stuff should be on the screen without the player needing to click anything. Supplementary information can be hidden behind tabs.

I've given some examples already, but 'unit delay' is also something I'm going to want to know when issuing an order. I don't often (or ever?) care what Jochen Peiper's Staff Quality and Efficiency are, so while they make sense from an information collection standpoint being together under the CMD tab, actually from a user perspective it isn't important at all that they're together.

(in reply to dazkaz15)
Post #: 62
RE: Which style? - 1/8/2014 12:10:48 AM   
dazkaz15

I've had another idea for the UI

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by dazkaz15 -- 1/8/2014 8:26:37 AM >

(in reply to Alchenar)
Post #: 63
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command Ops Series >> RE: Which style? Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI