Matrix Games Forums

War in the West gets its first update!Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm version 2.08 is now available!Command gets huge update!Order of Battle: Pacific Featured on Weekly Streaming SessionA new fight for Battle Academy!Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager is out for Mac!The definitive wargame of the Western Front is out now! War in the West gets teaser trailer and Twitch Stream!New Preview AAR for War in the West!War in the West Manual preview
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Which style?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Discontinued Games] >> Command Ops Series >> Which style? Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Which style? - 3/11/2013 7:36:39 PM   
dazkaz15

I would like some feedback as to which type of thumbnails people prefer.

In the screenshot you can see three different styles.

The black and white one's are mostly the default pics that come with the game, but I have added a few extra to fill in the gaps with the right kind of equipment.

The second colour thumbs are mostly art, or very well made models. There is plenty of pics from the web to populate the list, with the correct kind of equipment. Of course some may have copy writes so would require Panther Games to purchase some if they were going to use it in game.

The third list of thumbs are stylised taken from one of my games. There were not enough thumbs of the correct kind of equipment so I have just filled the gaps with random stuff. They are uniform in design and style, as you would expect from that kind of 3D game. In the encyclopaedia that they come from they even rotate, and hatches open etc.
This kind of artwork looks very professional but would probably require Panther Games to employ a graphics artist, or buy some from another games company?

Anyway which do you prefer?

The black and white as they add flavour to the game?

The colour because they are easier to see the type of equipment, and well....its colour....we stopped taking black and white pictures for a reason right?

Or the professional looking stylised uniform art of a modern graphics artist. baring in mind that these ones don't necessarily depict the style of this game as there for another, so custom ones for this game would probably use different colours, and styles if done properly.

P.S how do you do a poll in this forum?

Attachment (1)
Post #: 1
RE: Which style? - 3/11/2013 7:56:52 PM   
dazkaz15

Welll I'm trying to follow these instructions from the FAQ thread, but I can't see the button anywhere...some one help me find my glasses please

quote:

How do I create and vote in polls?

Creating new poll works just like posting messages. By clicking on , a pop-up window will appear and you can enter your Poll Question and vote choices in it. If you would like to create a poll that allows multiple selection (checkbox instead of radio button), check the “Allow Multiple Selection?” box. Enter the poll choices below the message body text box.

Once the poll is submitted, members will be able to vote, view result, edit poll, or even strip poll (some of these options only applies to the poll creator and the forum moderators). There are many options provided when editing your poll. You can change your poll question, add/edit/delete poll choices, and change multiple selections to single poll selection, etc.

(in reply to dazkaz15)
Post #: 2
RE: Which style? - 3/11/2013 8:49:28 PM   
wodin

First is my fav. Not keen on the drawings\mini's...rather have just drawings say osprey publishing style would be cool. The third looks OK but to general..if you could get the actual unit represented cool..but appears some are used as placeholders and aren't giving a proper impression of what the unit looked like now if you could get them to look how they should then that would be OK aswell.

So for me either B&W photo's or Drawings using the same style like Osprey publishing or find some side on drawings of tanks by the same artist etc. I don't like seeing a mish mash of styles like in the middle one.

< Message edited by wodin -- 3/11/2013 8:54:54 PM >

My Tactical wargame facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/Tacticalwargame

(in reply to dazkaz15)
Post #: 3
RE: Which style? - 3/11/2013 9:45:18 PM   
pekische

My opinion:

1. Best - B/W - realistic, atmosphere, authentic

2. OK - Color thumbs - nice art, easy to see type of equipment

3. Worst - like from common game, no atmosphere

(in reply to dazkaz15)
Post #: 4
RE: Which style? - 3/11/2013 9:47:54 PM   
RockinHarry

I second Wodin with either B/W or Osprey style stuff, with the B/W beeing my faves.

RockinHarry in the web:

http://www.myspace.com/rockinharryz
http://www.youtube.com/user/rockinharryz
https://www.facebook.com/harry.zann

(in reply to pekische)
Post #: 5
RE: Which style? - 3/12/2013 4:26:56 AM   
Deathtreader

Hi,

B/W hands down.

Thanks for taking the time to create the new thumbnails!

Rob.

So we're at war with the Russkies eh?? I suppose we really ought to invade or something. (Lonnnng pause while studying the map)
Hmmmm... big place ain't it??
- Sir Harry Flashman (1854)

(in reply to dazkaz15)
Post #: 6
RE: Which style? - 3/12/2013 5:02:50 AM   
navwarcol

1-color
2-B&W
3 the third column

Great work!
PS) Why is the 7.92mm leMG42 pictured as a Pz IV ausf F.2 in that third one ?

(in reply to Deathtreader)
Post #: 7
RE: Which style? - 3/14/2013 11:23:01 AM   
dazkaz15

Ok it looks like we are going with B&W then.

That was actually my preference too, although some of the models I have seen looking for the pictures, are of amazing detail, and quality, but don't reduce well down to such small pictures, as a lot of that detail is lost.

I also took a look at the Osprey art and there are some great works of art there, but I would imagine they would be very expensive to purchase.

So as I'm in Photoshop I'll try to clean up the B&W pictures a bit and see how it looks then, sometime over the next few days.

Some of them are very over exposed and could do with visit to the curves tool I think

(in reply to navwarcol)
Post #: 8
RE: Which style? - 3/14/2013 11:28:54 AM   
wodin

Daz..thee are a fair few items with no pic either..so if you can fill them up it would be cool.

(in reply to dazkaz15)
Post #: 9
RE: Which style? - 3/14/2013 11:29:47 AM   
dazkaz15

quote:

ORIGINAL: navwarcol

1-color
2-B&W
3 the third column

Great work!
PS) Why is the 7.92mm leMG42 pictured as a Pz IV ausf F.2 in that third one ?

There were none of the right kind of equipment in that style, so rather than leave it blank, I just threw in some random stuff

(in reply to navwarcol)
Post #: 10
RE: Which style? - 3/14/2013 11:37:01 AM   
dazkaz15

quote:

ORIGINAL: wodin

Daz..thee are a fair few items with no pic either..so if you can fill them up it would be cool.

Do you mean in the ESTABS in game wodin?

That's beyond the scope of what I am doing here I'm afraid mate.

This is just a concept idea, and its focused on what you would see if you were to select I Bn HQ 1 Pz SS Regt, using its icon on map or in the OB tab.

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 11
RE: Which style? - 3/14/2013 11:03:09 PM   
dazkaz15

First column is the original as posted before for comparison.

The second column has been retouched.

The third column has been retouched then a green colour cast, (taken from the interface border) added to make it look like I belongs to the game. I may have overdone the opacity a bit, but I can turn it up or down as needed.

Hopefully you don't prefer the first one

Attachment (1)

(in reply to dazkaz15)
Post #: 12
RE: Which style? - 3/14/2013 11:19:12 PM   

I prefer the third column, good job!

(in reply to dazkaz15)
Post #: 13
RE: Which style? - 3/14/2013 11:23:42 PM   
Bletchley_Geek

Very nice images dazkaz

Just one word of advice. Keep a copy of your image collection with their actual filenames. There are a few important changes coming soon on how images are bound to a estab, which should ease significantly working on the image set associated to vehicles and weapons.

(in reply to dazkaz15)
Post #: 14
RE: Which style? - 3/14/2013 11:26:30 PM   
wodin

Third row.

(in reply to Bletchley_Geek)
Post #: 15
RE: Which style? - 3/15/2013 12:21:06 AM   
pekische

1. Second row
2. Third row

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 16
RE: Which style? - 3/15/2013 1:37:16 AM   
Txema

Third column !!

Very nice job !!

Txema

(in reply to pekische)
Post #: 17
RE: Which style? - 3/15/2013 2:34:33 AM   
Agent S

+1 3rd Column

(in reply to Txema)
Post #: 18
RE: Which style? - 3/16/2013 12:28:46 AM   
Deathtreader

Door number 2...........

Nice work!!!!!!!!!!

Rob.

So we're at war with the Russkies eh?? I suppose we really ought to invade or something. (Lonnnng pause while studying the map)
Hmmmm... big place ain't it??
- Sir Harry Flashman (1854)

(in reply to dazkaz15)
Post #: 19
RE: Which style? - 3/16/2013 12:49:58 AM   
wodin

Like the way you've made sure they face all the same way aswell..good thinking Batman.

(in reply to Deathtreader)
Post #: 20
RE: Which style? - 3/16/2013 9:42:30 AM   
DerGrenadier

+1 3rd row

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 21
RE: Which style? - 3/17/2013 12:24:57 AM   
pekische

Daz, what are you planing with these pictures? Any mod? Or edit vanilla directly?

(in reply to DerGrenadier)
Post #: 22
RE: Which style? - 3/17/2013 1:52:24 AM   
The Plodder

I'm against mirroring as it looks wrong with the MG42 ammo belt going into the right side of the weapon. If you can find images that are not mirrored then I'd go with #3

Gen. Montgomery: "Your men don't salute much."
Gen. Freyberg: "Well, if you wave at them they'll usually wave back."

(in reply to pekische)
Post #: 23
RE: Which style? - 3/17/2013 10:49:27 AM   
dazkaz15

quote:

ORIGINAL: pekische

Daz, what are you planing with these pictures? Any mod? Or edit vanilla directly?

I don't have the skills to be able to do anything like that I'm afraid

I have a bit of time on my hands at the moment as I'm off work due to an injury, so I have had plenty of time to play, and have got very hooked on this game.
I love not just the strategic challenge, of the most complex game of chess you will ever play, but also the way it encourages you to dive into the history of the era to find out more of what went on, and the men involved in it.
I also picked up a copy of Photoshop cs6, to aid me in my work, but have never really had the time to learn how to use it, or the inspiration to do so.
But now I can combine my hobby with learning how to use Photoshop, that's awesome

Coming from other games, and seeing the interface on PS CS6, made me realise how basic and lacking the current interface is in game.
There is a lot of things that should be available on display ( as an option if you prefer, and have a smaller screen) that would drastically reduce the click fest we have now.
Having the On Map Boss load always on display is an example, ammo levels another, on bottom or top bar, fatigue. Things that you look at a lot but currently need to click through a bunch of tabs.

Then there was the question of how to make a game like this more visually inspiring, without altering the map/symbols, counter, icon, game view that most of us love.
That's where this equipment list comes in.
It would be part of a dropdown list available in the top bar, and will be populated with the equipment that is on the unit icon you click on, either in the OB list or the map. If you select multiple units the number box will increment, and the list will get longer to include the extra equipment types hence the scroll bar.

When it's done I will post it in the Future directions features thread, and hopefully someone with some computer programming knowledge will take up the concept, or just pull out the bits they like.
Maybe someone will mod it, or we might get to see this kind of thing in a future release of the game.
Of course they may want to do something totally different, it's their game after all.

It's great to get feedback from you guys as to what you prefer to see, as it adds more weight to any future inclusion into the game

(in reply to pekische)
Post #: 24
RE: Which style? - 3/20/2013 2:25:02 AM   
dazkaz15

Well this is my first attempt at an alternative game counter.

It's not meant to replace the current ones, but rather to have all info on screen at the press of a hot key, so you can toggle between, the current game counters, and the one with more info as you need.

Like I said this is my first one, and I'm not overly impressed with it.
I have more ideas, hopefully better ones up my sleeve for them. I'll try to post one a night, time permitting until we have a list of them.
Then maybe you guys can help choose the best one

Attachment (1)

(in reply to dazkaz15)
Post #: 25
RE: Which style? - 3/20/2013 8:53:47 AM   
wodin

Daz coloured buttons need to be smaller\small....symbol and unit number the biggest in the counter. Also try and make to look as symmetrical as possible..at the moment it's abit messy and the important info is too small. Where about will the light light up when taking fire and shooting? Also want those colours clash with shooting and taking fire lights?

If you are making the counter bigger to be honest the only info I'd like to see is what you get in many board wargames..a strips on unit (in muted colour) matching the formation it's in which can be toggled depending on what formation you want. Vic's games have a useful counter.

The size of the counter at the moment is an issue..make it bigger again I'd check out Vics counters for some inspiration.

I love your other ideas..however being honest I'm not keen at all at the counter idea at the moment.

Finally the ones not keen on counters..aren't going to be impressed with any kind of counter apart from some 3D Unit icon (god forbid, great in the right game though..just not here)and I don't think those who like counters are bothered by the current counters...now your other UI idea was amazing for giving out very useful info in one go.

< Message edited by wodin -- 3/20/2013 8:57:23 AM >

(in reply to dazkaz15)
Post #: 26
RE: Which style? - 3/20/2013 11:14:50 AM   
dazkaz15

Next version is ready. A bit better than the fist but still not great.

Wodin
This icon is not meant to replace the current one, I can work on something for that later.
This is one is to have as much info on as possible, to save having to press 13 keys, like you do now, to have the info like moral, fatigue etc visible.

Its to allow you to instantly see which units are getting tired, shot up, out of ammo etc, to allow you to better allocate resources.
You would generally play with the default icon set, although you could use keep this version up as you wish.

You would use it in a situation like when you are paused, and about to attack. You have 2 Bn available close by to the objective, which one do you send in?
Press the hot key for the new icon set. You are instantly presented with all the info you need to decide which Bn to send in. Press the hot key again, and you revert back to the default icon set.
Select your chosen Bn, and give it the order to attack.

The icon for the supply line, you may have noticed it half full. The one with the P in it. SUPPLY
This would represent that you are in supply but 50% rationing is in force due to low supplies in the Depot.
Currently in game there is no feedback to the player at all that rationing is in force

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by dazkaz15 -- 3/20/2013 11:23:38 AM >

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 27
RE: Which style? - 3/20/2013 2:57:50 PM   
wodin

Like the lettering..however I still feel the unit symbol and the unit Number should be the largest things on it as thats the most important..it kind off looks squashed beveled counter might be nice but darken the highlight abit..think I'd prefer a more thick cardboard look by making it look thicker rather than beveled.

I'd have along the top the unit designation band first I'd have in the top left corner a much bigger unit symbol and then underneath the band and symbol the items you have along the top currently then if possible make the buttons and letters abit smaller.. Also the thing is when the map is more zoomed out those counters will be covering a fair chunk of it..looks fine zoomed in..maybe Dave will give use three types..one like yours for fully zoomed in..one similar to current when zoomed out abit and the very small ones when fully zoomed out.

I see what you've done just added a border around the counter to add the bits..but really if going this way the whole counter needs to be redone..as I said the unit symbol and No is the most important so should be the biggest and main aspect.

So your adding this as an extra counter type? As I said think it would be cool if when zoomed in it turns the counters into something like this dynamically. Zoom out standard counter..zoom right out mini counter.

Much better with the letter aswell..as it would be a nightmare trying to work out the order they are in.

Daz have a look at my post in feature requests about the third one up..

< Message edited by wodin -- 3/20/2013 3:48:15 PM >

(in reply to dazkaz15)
Post #: 28
RE: Which style? - 3/20/2013 6:09:36 PM   
dazkaz15

quote:

ORIGINAL: wodin

Like the lettering..however I still feel the unit symbol and the unit Number should be the largest things on it as thats the most important..it kind off looks squashed beveled counter might be nice but darken the highlight abit..think I'd prefer a more thick cardboard look by making it look thicker rather than beveled.

I'd have along the top the unit designation band first I'd have in the top left corner a much bigger unit symbol and then underneath the band and symbol the items you have along the top currently then if possible make the buttons and letters abit smaller.. Also the thing is when the map is more zoomed out those counters will be covering a fair chunk of it..looks fine zoomed in..maybe Dave will give use three types..one like yours for fully zoomed in..one similar to current when zoomed out abit and the very small ones when fully zoomed out.

I see what you've done just added a border around the counter to add the bits..but really if going this way the whole counter needs to be redone..as I said the unit symbol and No is the most important so should be the biggest and main aspect.

So your adding this as an extra counter type? As I said think it would be cool if when zoomed in it turns the counters into something like this dynamically. Zoom out standard counter..zoom right out mini counter.

Much better with the letter aswell..as it would be a nightmare trying to work out the order they are in.

Daz have a look at my post in feature requests about the third one up..

Do you have a link to the game that has the counters, you are talking about wodin, so I can take a look?

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 29
RE: Which style? - 3/20/2013 6:24:32 PM   
dazkaz15

wodin

The reason for the bevel in my concept for the counter is, that the current counters in game are just the top, or raised part of the bevelled counter.
What happens when you press the button is the rest of the info that is currently buried beneath the map layer comes into view, just as if you pressed a spring loaded button.
Thus when you press it again it buries the lower portion back into the map/ground so you can only see the top of it again.

I think if I start to re arrange the core/centre portion of the counter, it may have a disorientating affect on the player.
Modelled like this the centre of the counter will stay in exactly the same location, and look exactly the same with the base buried or raised above ground level.

I think your idea of a counter will work better if the default game counters are changed to match what you want as well.

(in reply to dazkaz15)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Discontinued Games] >> Command Ops Series >> Which style? Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI