Recommend me operational wargame

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

Kuokkanen

Recommend me operational wargame

Post by Kuokkanen »

I'm considering getting back to operational level wargames. In that front my most played favourite game was Battle Isle 3. I understand Panzer General serie, Advanced Strategic Command, and Panzer Corps have much in common with Battle Isle serie... but all of those are bit too abstract and simplified: closer to Chess than serious simulation of war. I've played bit of Panzer Corps demo and read some of the manual, and I really like about player having core force throughout the campaign with upgrade options. So now I'm looking for more realistic game on the same scale: map sizes less than 100 hexes per side with typically only tens of units per side. Otherwise I can welcome complex detailed information if game manual explains it all thoroughly. Do you have recommendations?
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars
Lieste

RE: Recommend me operational wargame

Post by Lieste »

I'd suggest CmdOps if you aren't totally wedded to turn-based and hexes. It is accessible, yet deep and complex, with an emphasis on soft factors (command, morale, fatigue, supply, terrain and manoeuvre) rather than exclusively on equipment and 'troop quality'... you can easily 'throw away' a heavy tank Bn with TigerII by running them out of fuel deep behind enemy lines, or by getting them embroiled in a knife fight, with enemy infantry and tanks.

Larger scenarios apart from having a longer duration, are similar in complexity to smaller ones ~ despite the much larger unit count, as units follow 'plans' made by the player or AI, rather than each being moved manually each turn. Tasks to perform within the game tend to be forward planning, "real-time" analysis of intel picture as it changes and actions/reactions in response to opportunity/threats ~ often a 'good' plan will need little direct manipulation, and the tension comes from watching for the unwelcome/unexpected ~ other times a wholescale cancellation and replanning of the effort is needed to respond to the AI's threatening posture, or a 'bonus' opportunity.

There is a demo, and lots of helpful people in the subforum to answer questions. The manual explains most things, and there was a strategy guide for earlier versions (AA:HTTR, rather than CmdOps:HTTR, but most is still valid).

It is closer to a 'real' command experience than most titles that have been available, and more accessible than the few that have tried to break the same ground ~ plus the AI is fairly competent.
Wolfe1759

Post by Wolfe1759 »

Unity of Command

You can get a demo from here http://unityofcommand.net/
"In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Goodwill." - Winston Churchill
Kuokkanen

Post by Kuokkanen »

ORIGINAL: Wolfe

Unity of Command
I watched video. To me it seems to go to same category with Panzer General, Panzer Corps, and the rest.

I really want hexes and turns for now. And mixed combined arms formation, not tank destroyer battalions (referring to first edition of US Tank Destroyer Doctrine and aforementioned games here). I'm considering The Operational Art of War and Korsun Pocket series. What are differences between those two series, what else are there, and which one would be right for me?

[edit]
If there is a game where elite infantry platoon can slip through enemy trench line unnoticed and destroy supply depot (or just the AA weapons in order to make the job easier for bombers) in order to deny ammunition from defending enemy forces, tell me about it. To my understanding Finnish Defense Force and Red Army did that kind of thing quite often.

[edit2]
Scratch over Decisive Battles games (Korsun Pocket, Battles in Normandy, Battles in Italy). Way too many hexes and units in those.
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars
Rtwfreak

Post by Rtwfreak »

[edit2]
Scratch over Decisive Battles games (Korsun Pocket, Battles in Normandy, Battles in Italy). Way too many hexes and units in those.

You ain't just a little bit picky are you? You don't want beer & pretzels and you don't want hexes and lots of units. You have shrunk your choices down to minimal or none at best.
budd

Post by budd »

John tillers campaign series, small, med., and large scenarios. East front, west front, and the pacific all in one package.pick the size of your command in the campaign.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must. ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"Be Yourself; Everyone else is already taken" ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.
wodin

Post by wodin »

Decisive Campaigns. TOAW 3 as their are loads of scenarios to suit. Or one of John Tillers games.

The platoon thing your asking about..that seems like a game you want that has different scales..which doesn't exist as far as I know, a platoon scale game with an operational one. Good idea though.
Kuokkanen

Post by Kuokkanen »

ORIGINAL: Rtwfreak
[edit2]

You ain't just a little bit picky are you? You don't want beer & pretzels and you don't want hexes and lots of units. You have shrunk your choices down to minimal or none at best.
I'll rephrase: I don't want any monster game where map is whole frakkin' Western Front, Eastern Front, or Pacific Ocean. I want game where map is restricted only to Belgium, Karelia, or Guadalcanal. At that scale I desire for more realism, complexity and depth than what is in Panzer General and Panzer Corps series. What games deliver?

MekWars
wodin

Post by wodin »

As I said Decisive Campaigns..either game.
Wolfe1759

Post by Wolfe1759 »

How about War in the East with the Don to Danube expansion. Not for its huge campaign game but for the smaller operational scenarios of which (including the expansion) there are c20 of varying sizes and lengths to choose from.
"In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Goodwill." - Winston Churchill
Perturabo

Post by Perturabo »

Command Ops
Ranger33

Post by Ranger33 »

I would second this, I'm pretty noobish at this scale of game and a bit scared of the main campaign, but I found the "Road to..." scenarios to be manageable and there are even smaller scenarios as well.
ORIGINAL: Wolfe

How about War in the East with the Don to Danube expansion. Not for its huge campaign game but for the smaller operational scenarios of which (including the expansion) there are c20 of varying sizes and lengths to choose from.
Rtwfreak

Post by Rtwfreak »

ORIGINAL: wodin

Did you miss the part where he said to "scratch" those games?
e_barkmann

Post by e_barkmann »

Decisive Battles were scratched. Althought they still should fit into the criteria as they are not whole front games, just battles.

cheers
Scourge of War multiplayer group

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/sowwaterloo
wodin

Post by wodin »

ORIGINAL: Rtwfreak

ORIGINAL: wodin

Did you miss the part where he said to "scratch" those games?

As said above..different games mate.
Kuokkanen

Post by Kuokkanen »

I have gone through some info and screenshots about some of the games. WITE seems to have the kind of detail I desire, and sizes of some scenario maps seem manageable even for me. Still could go little over my head.

TOAW3 seems to cover very broad area of wars and regions from American Civil War to Desert Storm and very much in between. I have read some reviews (years ago), and I remember game is very much scalable. How much exactly (min & max scales)?

I'm not sure about John Tiller's Campaign Serie... Game counters are platoons, I get that much. But more info please.

Decisive Campaigns looks like least realistic of the lot. Game action cards? No thanks! If I want do gas attack, I want do it with weapons, not with game card [:-]
Or have I misunderstood something in here...?

Finally: some comparisons between the games. Like how Operation Barbarossa differs between WITE, TOAW3, Decisive Campaigns: Case Blue, and JTCS. How much time does it take in a given game to play average game turn of average sized scenario? How thick are the manuals, and how thoroughly they explain the game?

MekWars
wodin

Post by wodin »

DC card system adds loads to the game..seriously my favourite aspect..it's manly about giving bonus to units if and when needed.

John Tillers games game counters are coys upto regiments not platoons.

Your best going to each forum to ask your questions to be honest.
Wolfe1759

Post by Wolfe1759 »

As Wodin said, I think the best way for you to compare the games on your shortlist is to visit the individual forums, read some of the AARs and ask questions if needed.

Kuokkanen

Post by Kuokkanen »

One question more: which games come with printed manual?

MekWars
Catch21

Post by Catch21 »

ORIGINAL: Matti Kuokkanen

One question more: which games come with printed manual?
Is this relevant these days? Most games here are electronic downloads or a premium for a CD/DVD and (sometimes (?)) paper materials. Either way they both come with pdf files- electronic medium, but if you really want paper, you can of course print them.
Tactics are based on Weapons... Strategy on Movement... and Movement on Supply. (J. F. C. Fuller 1878-1966)

Return to “General Discussion”