Don't do this

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

geofflambert

Don't do this

Post by geofflambert »

I had been working on my PBEM turn for about 2 hours this a.m. and I did something stupid. I brought up a squadron from the group withdrawal list and clicked on the do not upgrade line wanting to know what other craft were in the pool and the game crashed. [:@] Only do that when you've clicked on the squadron at its base on the map.

Reg

RE: Don't do this

Post by Reg »

Have you posted this in the Tech Support forum for MichaelM to see??

Cheers,
Reg.

(One day I will learn to spell - or check before posting....)
Uh oh, Firefox has a spell checker!! What excuse can I use now!!!
DaveConn

Post by DaveConn »

Good lesson. I try to get in the habit of saving my PBEM every time I give a significant or complicated order, but sometimes I forget!
geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

ORIGINAL: Reg

Have you posted this in the Tech Support forum for MichaelM to see??

No I haven't, I'll endeavor to do so soon.

LargeSlowTarget

Post by LargeSlowTarget »

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

I had been working on my PBEM turn for about 2 hours...

I hope you are being paid for this by Matrix! [:D]
JocMeister

Post by JocMeister »

I have had pretty consistent crashes while pressing the OOB button on units loaded aboard ships. For example if I check the cargo of a xAP and sees it carries UnitX/23 I never click on the unit without having saved. This also learned the hard way after an hour or so spent on the turn! [:D]
PaxMondo

Post by PaxMondo »

Intermediate saves ... I do lots of them while working a turn.  I have numbered tmp saves for each turn ... each tmp number is for a different section of the turn that I update (production, CHI, PAC, etc.).  Lesson learned a long time ago ....
Pax
Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

Stop scaring me! I've never had a single crash after I switched to playing in a window. I did get periodic crashes when first playing full screen (after tabbing back in), but don't even get those anymore.
geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

Just to note, I use full screen mode.

leehunt27@bloomberg.net

Post by leehunt27@bloomberg.net »

Lots and lots of intermediate saves! And sometimes, after starting a new game and spending like 6 hours on the first Japanese turn, i email myself the save turn too in case my darn PC crashes :)
John 21:25
bradfordkay

Post by bradfordkay »

You know, in all my years of playing UV, WITP and AE I think that I have had only one or two crashes (computer crashes, not aircraft!). Even so, I save multiple times during the process of giving orders - mainly because I've been known to change my mind and once you've moved a squadron to a new base you cannot undo that move.
fair winds,
Brad
jmalter

Post by jmalter »

yeah i've had a few ughly crashes that lost my work, but they never correlated to a specific click-activity in the game.

rather, IMO they were a result of having the game opened for a whole week (or more!), now i try to limit myself, & will savegame/exitgame/reboot/reload at least twice a week.
DivePac88

Post by DivePac88 »

Used to get some crashes until I switched to windows mode, and have had none since.
When you see the Southern Cross, For the first time
You understand now, Why you came this way
janh

Post by janh »

Thanks for the hint. There is only one rare type of crash I sometimes encounter, it happens when being in some menus and exiting with a quick "esc esc" tirade. Sometimes it happens that AE offers me my desktop. [:D]

There is another thing I was wanting to ask for a while: The resolution of the night combat actions somehow is quite slow compared to the ones in the day combat phase:
i.e. for a window to pop up (e.g. the bombardment or air bombing screen, or the subsequent switch to the corresponding results report) during the night it can easily be 3-4+ seconds, the same thing which is basically instantaneous switching from action/window to window during the day part. I continuously keep updating with Michael' latest betas, and unfortunately I don't really remember when this delay issue first occurred. Might have been well before the latest beta series, but now it is getting noticeable because there is more and more night actions. It's not serious, just a little annoying. Perhaps some of you have had a similar issue? Any ideas?

dr.hal

Post by dr.hal »

One "crash" not mentioned comes with the territory of living in rural central Vermont (you can substitute you own area here) as we loose electricity often. now THAT's a pain in the lower half.... Thus a reason to save regularly that has nothing to do with your computer! Other than that, I've never had a crash... Hal
geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

You must get a backup generator. [;)]

dr.hal

Post by dr.hal »

I have one... but I can't plug it in at the speed of light... so I can't beat the electrons that run out on me! "Damn you electrons!"
DivePac88

Post by DivePac88 »

Thats why I really love my nuclear-powered laptop, never runs out of power, and I only have to change the rods every twenty-five years. [:'(]
When you see the Southern Cross, For the first time
You understand now, Why you came this way
geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

ORIGINAL: dr.hal

I have one... but I can't plug it in at the speed of light... so I can't beat the electrons that run out on me! "Damn you electrons!"

Get a backup battery just for the computer.

dr.hal

Post by dr.hal »

I was wondering why my children are square and green.... too much time on the USS Bainbridge and then that laptop!

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”