Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Ki-49-II KAI Helen

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Ki-49-II KAI Helen Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Ki-49-II KAI Helen - 3/8/2013 4:42:00 PM   
Chris21wen

Is there any reason not to switch Topsy II production to the Helen Tr when it becomes available, it carries more, is armoured and faster but does have a slightly shorter range.
Post #: 1
RE: Ki-49-II KAI Helen - 3/8/2013 5:15:38 PM   
obvert

I use the Hellen and like it. It seems durable, maybe due to the armor, compared with earlier transports. The IJN transports are very long-legged, and I still have a lot of Thalia around which was my 1st gen transport for long range moves.

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

(in reply to Chris21wen)
Post #: 2
RE: Ki-49-II KAI Helen - 3/8/2013 6:18:08 PM   
Numdydar

The only issue is that they use the same engine as the combat versions. So if you have enough engines to support them, then they are really good.

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 3
RE: Ki-49-II KAI Helen - 3/8/2013 7:42:52 PM   
Jorge_Stanbury

Issue is only the opportunity cost... as Numdydar said, these engines might be more useful for combat planes

I have never put priority to TRA planes... I will try to build as few as possible, and use all obsolete airframes until I run out. Even "Theresa" is useful as Manchukuo trainer.

I hope to keep Topsy-I, Thalias, Sallys for as long as I can .. then move to the plane that uses the engine with the greater surplus

One exception: Emily float transport: I might switch to it as soon as possible, simply because each can carry almost 4 times more than a Mavis TRA

< Message edited by Jorge_Stanbury -- 3/8/2013 7:48:03 PM >

(in reply to Numdydar)
Post #: 4
RE: Ki-49-II KAI Helen - 3/8/2013 9:57:08 PM   
obvert

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jorge_Stanbury

Issue is only the opportunity cost... as Numdydar said, these engines might be more useful for combat planes

I have never put priority to TRA planes... I will try to build as few as possible, and use all obsolete airframes until I run out. Even "Theresa" is useful as Manchukuo trainer.

I hope to keep Topsy-I, Thalias, Sallys for as long as I can .. then move to the plane that uses the engine with the greater surplus

One exception: Emily float transport: I might switch to it as soon as possible, simply because each can carry almost 4 times more than a Mavis TRA

Invest in the Tabby. It's worth it.

Depends on your game, but I've found transport can save your tush a fair few times

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

(in reply to Jorge_Stanbury)
Post #: 5
RE: Ki-49-II KAI Helen - 3/9/2013 12:51:48 AM   
pacificbetta

quote:

I must be missing something (Scen 1 player only), Emily L has longer range, bigger load and comes before Tabby. Both are IJN transport. What advantage of Tabby over Emily besides engine usage?

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 6
RE: Ki-49-II KAI Helen - 3/9/2013 1:09:58 AM   
Quixote

Edit - Just answered a question that you didn't ask. To answer the one that you did ask, I'd assume the ability to use the Tabby from any base, not just a port base. That said, I agree that you have enough land-based groups that the Emily is pretty worthwhile, even if you won't ever have many groups that can use them.

< Message edited by Quixote -- 3/9/2013 1:24:39 AM >

(in reply to pacificbetta)
Post #: 7
RE: Ki-49-II KAI Helen - 3/9/2013 1:15:17 AM   
pacificbetta

Right! and thanks! Obviously TRA ranks low on my list. Been monitoring fighter upgrades but not tra squadron closely :D

(in reply to Quixote)
Post #: 8
RE: Ki-49-II KAI Helen - 3/9/2013 2:15:00 AM   
Jorge_Stanbury

Emily-L is float transport and therefore competes against Mavis-L (not against any land based Navy transports like the Tabby)

there are significantly more land based squadrons, so it makes sense to have both Tabby and Emily-L.
Only issue with Tabby is that it comes too late

(in reply to pacificbetta)
Post #: 9
RE: Ki-49-II KAI Helen - 3/9/2013 7:46:50 AM   
FatR

quote:

ORIGINAL: obvert

Tabby is IJNAF only. And transport flying boats are much superior.

The Reluctant Admiral mod team.

Take a look at the latest released version of the Reluctant Admiral mod:
https://sites.google.com/site/reluctantadmiral/

Post #: 10
RE: Ki-49-II KAI Helen - 3/9/2013 1:58:11 PM   
Dixie

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jorge_Stanbury

That would depend on what else you are building, it may make just as much sense to use the engines for transports as you already have factories churning out the right engines. Then the engine factories that were building powerplants for Topsy etc can be switched to other production.

Post #: 11
RE: Ki-49-II KAI Helen - 3/9/2013 5:25:20 PM   
obvert

quote:

ORIGINAL: FatR

quote:

ORIGINAL: obvert

Tabby is IJNAF only. And transport flying boats are much superior.

Tabby is 2E, thus much cheaper and easy to manage than a 4E Emily in game if you're not flying from big bases with lots of support. Anything inland also needs something with wheels.

I love the Emilys. They've saved quite a few stranded units, but the Tabby is sturdy, flies a full group every day and carries a good load a long way (up to 17 hexes between your own bases). Make what you want, but I certainly am happy I set up one 30 sized research factory for this, got it a few months ahead, and have both of these types flying.

(in reply to FatR)
Post #: 12
RE: Ki-49-II KAI Helen - 3/10/2013 4:34:47 PM   
Dili

He is saying that Tabby is navy plane and if the player respect the branch separation IJNAF vs IJA and only uses navy planes to supply navy units, a navy base is always in coastline - not inland - so accessible to floatplanes TR too. But your point of cost and 2E to 4E is valid.

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Ki-49-II KAI Helen Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI