Matrix Games Forums

Come and see us during the Spieltagen in Essen!New Screenshots for Pike & ShotDeal of the Week Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations WOTYCommand: Modern Air/Naval Operations WOTY is now available!Frontline : The Longest Day Announced and in Beta!Command gets Wargame of the Year EditionDeal of the Week: Pandora SeriesPandora: Eclipse of Nashira is now availableDistant Worlds Gets another updateHell is Approaching
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

New, Just saw this game

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> New, Just saw this game Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
New, Just saw this game - 3/8/2013 1:20:11 AM   
claystone

Hey fellas,

I'm new to War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition. I've been playing Hearts of Iron 3 and Vic2. This game seems to be complex and intense. Just what I'm looking for. I have a couple of questions.

1. If I buy the game, is the new updated patch included or do i need to install that seperate?

2. If I need to install the patch seperate, will there be some folder i need to drop the patch into?

3. Does the game have the entire world map or just part of it?

4. If no to question 2, did the developers of this game make another WWII game like this one with all the countries involed?

Thanks fellas for any help.

Post #: 1
RE: New, Just saw this game - 3/8/2013 1:23:39 AM   
Gräfin Zeppelin

3 It goes from India to the West coast and Siberia to Tasmania. It is very BIG hexwise.

4 war in the east is from the same company afaik and it is about the war in the Soviet Union.

(in reply to claystone)
Post #: 2
RE: New, Just saw this game - 3/8/2013 1:26:53 AM   
claystone

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gräfin Zeppelin

3 It goes from India to the West coast and Siberia to Tasmania. It is very BIG hexwise.

4 war in the east is from the same company afaik and it is about the war in the Soviet Union.

Thanks Grafin.

Anyone have answers for questions 1 & 2?

(in reply to Gräfin Zeppelin)
Post #: 3
RE: New, Just saw this game - 3/8/2013 1:31:13 AM   
n01487477

quote:

ORIGINAL: claystone

Hey fellas,

I'm new to War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition. I've been playing Hearts of Iron 3 and Vic2. This game seems to be complex and intense. Just what I'm looking for. I have a couple of questions.

1. If I buy the game, is the new updated patch included or do i need to install that seperate?

You'll need to update it, but there is a button to do this, but I usually do a manual download.
quote:

2. If I need to install the patch seperate, will there be some folder i need to drop the patch into?

Nope, Just run the patch exe and it will find the location. There are also beta patches which have to be downloaded manually ...

-Damian-
EconDoc
TrackerAE
Tutes&Java

(in reply to claystone)
Post #: 4
RE: New, Just saw this game - 3/8/2013 1:34:32 AM   
claystone

quote:

ORIGINAL: n01487477

quote:

Hey fellas,

You'll need to update it, but there is a button to do this, but I usually do a manual download.
quote:

Nope, Just run the patch exe and it will find the location. There are also beta patches which have to be downloaded manually ...

Thank you n01487477.

(in reply to n01487477)
Post #: 5
RE: New, Just saw this game - 3/8/2013 1:36:50 AM   
claystone

Last question and I'll do a search and some youtube videos.

1. How long does the game play? What I mean by that, does it end like 1948 or can it keep going on to lets say 1970?

HO13 and Vic2 have an end date and i hate it. I'm hoping this game doesn't.

(in reply to claystone)
Post #: 6
RE: New, Just saw this game - 3/8/2013 1:39:00 AM   
Gräfin Zeppelin

It ends in 46 but it takes you really long to get there. I mean really long one can play a dozen games of HOI3 in that time for example.

(in reply to claystone)
Post #: 7
RE: New, Just saw this game - 3/8/2013 1:50:27 AM   
n01487477

quote:

1. How long does the game play? What I mean by that, does it end like 1948 or can it keep going on to lets say 1970?

This game is nothing like HOI or Vicki... buyer beware cause although most of us "witp drug pushers" here would love to invite you into the best last game you ever need play or buy, it isn't for everyone. It is not a grand strategy game in the sense that HOI or Vicki are... this is a historical game of the PacWar, not global domination

It's hex based, it's day at a time of AM and PM phases, it's a hell of a lot of clicking and planning from logistics to pilot management to TF composition etc ... This game is full of detail. You'll either love it or push it aside as too intense and maybe come back to it later.

Most of the guys here are hooked, play it religiously and despite it's faults pay homage to it everyday.

See some of my video's in my sig and then there are a few youtube vid's too. I hope you make the jump, but there really isn't another game on the market that is quite this involved.

-Damian-
EconDoc
TrackerAE
Tutes&Java

(in reply to claystone)
Post #: 8
RE: New, Just saw this game - 3/8/2013 1:59:11 AM   
wdolson

The War in the East is done by 2X3 which did the original WitP and the earlier Uncommon Valor. WitP AE had an all new dev team who built on the original engine made by 2X3.

This game has one day turns. The full campaign scenario has 1634 turns. If you play against the AI as fast as you can you can only get through maybe 20 turns in a day. Typical for a long gaming session is more like 7-10 turns per day.

IMO one of the big pluses with this game is re-playability. The AI has enough variations that you never get the same game twice. And if you go the PBEM route, you will not lack for opponents.

We have also had ongoing patches. There is currently a beta out there, but it is a very stable beta from all accounts. I strongly recommend updating to at least the latest release. We have made a lot of fixes as well as added some nice features with the patches.

Bill

WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer

(in reply to Gräfin Zeppelin)
Post #: 9
RE: New, Just saw this game - 3/8/2013 2:26:03 AM   
Joe D.

quote:

Hey fellas,

I'm new to War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition. I've been playing Hearts of Iron 3 ...

I heard HoI3 was unplayable.
For the record, I have HoI2 (doomsday)

Stratford, Connecticut, U.S.A.

"The Angel of Okinawa"

Home of the Chance-Vought Corsair, F4U
The best fighter-bomber of World War II

(in reply to claystone)
Post #: 10
RE: New, Just saw this game - 3/8/2013 2:30:45 AM   
JeffK

quote:

ORIGINAL: wdolson

The War in the East is done by 2X3 which did the original WitP and the earlier Uncommon Valor. WitP AE had an all new dev team who built on the original engine made by 2X3.

This game has one day turns. The full campaign scenario has 1634 turns. If you play against the AI as fast as you can you can only get through maybe 20 turns in a day. Typical for a long gaming session is more like 7-10 turns per day.

IMO one of the big pluses with this game is re-playability. The AI has enough variations that you never get the same game twice. And if you go the PBEM route, you will not lack for opponents.

We have also had ongoing patches. There is currently a beta out there, but it is a very stable beta from all accounts. I strongly recommend updating to at least the latest release. We have made a lot of fixes as well as added some nice features with the patches.

Bill

Bill, Do you have any power as a moderator.

IMVHO it would be great if what the newbies buy at least has the latest official patches incorporated.

Seems dumb to sell vanilla if the version with sprinkles is already out there!

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 11
RE: New, Just saw this game - 3/8/2013 2:35:07 AM   
wdolson

I don't have any say in how the game is packaged. I only moderate here on the forum.

Bill

(in reply to JeffK)
Post #: 12
RE: New, Just saw this game - 3/8/2013 2:42:33 AM   
Gräfin Zeppelin

Buy it, this game is worth it. Dont think about it, just attack Pearl Harbor ;)

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 13
RE: New, Just saw this game - 3/8/2013 4:11:55 AM   
JeffK

quote:

I don't have any say in how the game is packaged. I only moderate here on the forum.

Bill

But your vote must be worth at leat 1.00001 times ours!

And the pay.........

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 14
RE: New, Just saw this game - 3/8/2013 4:56:26 AM   
crsutton

I started an email campaign when the game came out three and a half years ago. We are about 1100 turns into the game (2-45) give or take a few We play about five or six turns a week. So, it is not for the faint of heart. But as said, there is no other experience like it.

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to JeffK)
Post #: 15
RE: New, Just saw this game - 3/8/2013 5:00:27 AM   
panzer cat

quote:

ORIGINAL: crsutton

I started an email campaign when the game came out three and a half years ago. We are about 1100 turns into the game (2-45) give or take a few We play about five or six turns a week. So, it is not for the faint of heart. But as said, there is no other experience like it.

This is my first pbem game, I've been playing for a year and a half. We easily do 8 or 9 turns a week, if you like a game that makes you think long term this is it.

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 16
RE: New, Just saw this game - 3/8/2013 5:01:56 AM   
Jorge_Stanbury

The game is really unique; you will never get anything as detailed in terms of naval warfare; there is nothing even close.

I also like HOI2 (Arma, with Core mod), but there is no way you can compare how naval combat is modelled; HOI ships will have "hit points", infinite ammo, short battles, etc.
WitP AE is significantly more detailed

(in reply to JeffK)
Post #: 17
RE: New, Just saw this game - 3/8/2013 7:26:35 AM   
JocMeister

I played a lot if HOI2:DD but HOI3 never really got me caught...

Listen to what Damian says. This game is nothing like HoI or Vicky and have nothing in common besides the fact that they take place during WW2. The pace in AE is really slow compared to that of HoI and Vicky and while there are strategic parts of the game most of it is played out on a tactical level. The micromanagement is massive, the UI is clumsy and outdated and the AI is mostly a learning tool.

But...

...if you like most people on this board still love it you will play nothing else! . Just make sure this game is really what you are looking for before you buy.

< Message edited by JocMeister -- 3/8/2013 7:30:19 AM >

(in reply to Jorge_Stanbury)
Post #: 18
RE: New, Just saw this game - 3/8/2013 7:34:06 AM   
tigercub

claystone

just for the heads ups about this game its a great game but it does have its draw backs...Air combat is the best of it kind of any game grand campaign even closely like.
ITs naval side drops just a little from there, but still top marks... but land combat is very much basic and is the weakest part of the game for me i played off and on for years including the 2 games before this one Pacific War and WITP...doing turns day by day is a lot of fun but only for so long 1 to 2 hours turns 3,4,5,6 times a week... i burn out after a few years just become a work load and loses its fun...but i know you will enjoy and its worth the money thats for sure! i PM you about playing HOI3 ..TFH with the new greatly inproved mods!

Tigercub

< Message edited by tigercub -- 3/8/2013 7:37:28 AM >

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life

(in reply to Jorge_Stanbury)
Post #: 19
RE: New, Just saw this game - 3/8/2013 8:20:24 AM   
claystone

quote:

ORIGINAL: tigercub

claystone

just for the heads ups about this game its a great game but it does have its draw backs...Air combat is the best of it kind of any game grand campaign even closely like.
ITs naval side drops just a little from there, but still top marks... but land combat is very much basic and is the weakest part of the game for me i played off and on for years including the 2 games before this one Pacific War and WITP...doing turns day by day is a lot of fun but only for so long 1 to 2 hours turns 3,4,5,6 times a week... i burn out after a few years just become a work load and loses its fun...but i know you will enjoy and its worth the money thats for sure! i PM you about playing HOI3 ..TFH with the new greatly inproved mods!

Tigercub

Thanks Tigercub, but i do have all the HOI3 games from the vanilla to TFH. But thanks for the look out.

As for War of The Pacific AE, I can see that I'm really going to like this. The more complex the game, where you realy have to think, the better. I will be reading the manual, searching on here and some youtube videos.

(in reply to tigercub)
Post #: 20
RE: New, Just saw this game - 3/8/2013 8:20:49 AM   
claystone

Fellas,

Thanks for the help as well.

(in reply to claystone)
Post #: 21
RE: New, Just saw this game - 3/8/2013 8:42:21 AM   
claystone

quote:

ORIGINAL: n01487477

quote:

This game is nothing like HOI or Vicki... buyer beware cause although most of us "witp drug pushers" here would love to invite you into the best last game you ever need play or buy, it isn't for everyone. It is not a grand strategy game in the sense that HOI or Vicki are... this is a historical game of the PacWar, not global domination

It's hex based, it's day at a time of AM and PM phases, it's a hell of a lot of clicking and planning from logistics to pilot management to TF composition etc ... This game is full of detail. You'll either love it or push it aside as too intense and maybe come back to it later.

Most of the guys here are hooked, play it religiously and despite it's faults pay homage to it everyday.

See some of my video's in my sig and then there are a few youtube vid's too. I hope you make the jump, but there really isn't another game on the market that is quite this involved.

Thanks for the video's...very helpful.

(in reply to n01487477)
Post #: 22
RE: New, Just saw this game - 3/8/2013 9:06:19 AM   
claystone

quote:

Bill

Thanks Bill,

So the patch I downloaded called, "v1.01.08r9 Dated Feb, 8 2012 is "not" the lastest patch?

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 23
RE: New, Just saw this game - 3/8/2013 11:35:03 AM   
Itdepends

The beta can be found in the tech support section of the WITPAE forum- first post of the current beta thread

(in reply to claystone)
Post #: 24
RE: New, Just saw this game - 3/8/2013 12:39:02 PM   
Sardaukar

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3185062

This is an upgrade of official patch, still beta and ongoing by michaelm.

"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

(in reply to Itdepends)
Post #: 25
RE: New, Just saw this game - 3/8/2013 6:47:50 PM   
geofflambert

I recommend you download the latest Beta version.

(in reply to Sardaukar)
Post #: 26
RE: New, Just saw this game - 3/8/2013 8:22:21 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

quote:

Bill

Thanks Bill,

So the patch I downloaded called, "v1.01.08r9 Dated Feb, 8 2012 is "not" the lastest patch?

Claystone, sorry if this is pedantic, but it was confusing to me once upon a time as well-so I'll spell it out.

There have been several 'vetted' official patches / releases that have been developed and distributed since the initial iteration. We call these 'official' patches in the vernacular. These have significantly improved gameplay and stability since over the version burned onto the CD came out. Don't play that version-it's a waste of time since the official patches are out and have been well received.

There are also 'beta' patches. MichaelM has periodically released these betas that are more timely patches to (usually minor) gameplay issues or playability issues. Some old-timers really like these and upgrade as soon as there's a new beta. Others play with the last official patch.

The choice is yours, of course. I certainly will second the voices that recommend you upgrade to the latest official patch at the very least. Personally, I'm not a big fan of the betas and do not play with them. YMMV.

(in reply to claystone)
Post #: 27
RE: New, Just saw this game - 3/8/2013 10:54:05 PM   
wdolson

I think someone who had to reinstall ran into a problem just installing the beta over the basic game. Some of the official patches have data updates. The betas are just the executable file. I believe v1.01.08r9 is comprehensive of all the data updates to date, but does not include the latest executable updates (currently in beta).

So the best route would be:

1) Install the game from the CD or download
2) Install patch v1.01.08r9 to get the data updates (a couple of added scenarios too)
3) Install the latest beta

This should get you fully patched the latest version of everything. The initial install and official patch will probably take a bit to install, but the beta should go quickly.

Bill

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 28
RE: New, Just saw this game - 3/10/2013 1:36:57 PM   
Ranger5355

Matrix is user friendly, have no fear.

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 29
RE: New, Just saw this game - 3/29/2013 4:33:22 PM   
chemkid

thanks for that information everybody - this thread is very nice for noobs. (installation-order wise... and else!)

cheers!
chem!

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> New, Just saw this game Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI