Matrix Games Forums

Characters of World War 1Sign of for the Pike and Shot Beta!More Games are Coming to Steam! Deal of the Week: Combat Command Return to the Moon on October 31st! Commander: The Great War iPad Wallpapers Generals of the Great WarDeal of the Week Panzer CorpsNew Strategy Titles Join the FamilyTablet Version of Qvadriga gets new patch
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Sim City 5

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Sim City 5 Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Sim City 5 - 3/7/2013 6:04:43 PM   
madflava13

I'm eyeing this title and watching youtube videos of the various betas. Anyone pick it up yet? Thoughts?

"The Paraguayan Air Force's request for spraying subsidies was not as Paraguayan as it were..."
Post #: 1
RE: Sim City 5 - 3/7/2013 6:10:17 PM   
Terminus

STAY. CLEAR.

It's basically unplayable at the moment, due to EA bungling the launch of it. One would think they'd be able to predict that a game without an actual singleplayer mode, requiring the player to be always online when he plays, might need a lot of server power.

< Message edited by Terminus -- 3/7/2013 6:11:36 PM >

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to madflava13)
Post #: 2
RE: Sim City 5 - 3/7/2013 6:30:19 PM   
parusski

quote:

ORIGINAL: madflava13

I'm eyeing this title and watching youtube videos of the various betas. Anyone pick it up yet? Thoughts?

Derrrr

< Message edited by parusski -- 3/7/2013 6:33:48 PM >

"I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast."- W.T. Sherman

(in reply to madflava13)
Post #: 3
RE: Sim City 5 - 3/7/2013 7:11:13 PM   
wesy

It's engaging and fun WHEN/IF you can get on a server. Worst launch ever...

(in reply to parusski)
Post #: 4
RE: Sim City 5 - 3/7/2013 7:14:51 PM   
carnifex

And if you buy the game you practically ensure that future EA products will have single player online requirements and every launch will be as ****ty as this one.

(in reply to wesy)
Post #: 5
RE: Sim City 5 - 3/7/2013 7:39:57 PM   
sanderz

you don't buy this game - you rent it

the maps are very small compared to sim city 4 and so are the regions

as soon as they (EA) decide to close their servers down in a few years time then you can no longer play it

having said that the game does seem fun - this guy quill18 did a live stream and does some really excellent "lets play" vids - he played for about 5 hours solid though he did have a server crash and had to start a new game part way through because he couldn't get back on the original server (and you can't play a save game on a different server)

< Message edited by sanderz -- 3/7/2013 7:41:22 PM >

(in reply to carnifex)
Post #: 6
RE: Sim City 5 - 3/8/2013 3:46:07 AM   
madflava13

Thanks guys. It looks visually stunning, and I always loved the series. I didn't realize its always online, however. I spend a lot of time on planes for work, and Railroad Tycoon always got me through - I thought this might have been a good replacement, but not if I can't play offline! That doesn't make any sense to me. It ought to be an option, but what's the point of having it on a laptop if I can't take it somewhere without the internet?

"The Paraguayan Air Force's request for spraying subsidies was not as Paraguayan as it were..."

(in reply to sanderz)
Post #: 7
RE: Sim City 5 - 3/8/2013 3:53:51 AM   
Missouri_Rebel

I refuse to support such draconian practices. The only thing I can do is vote with my dollars. I'll stay away.

**Those who rob Peter to pay Paul can always count on the support of Paul
**A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have-Gerald Ford

(in reply to madflava13)
Post #: 8
RE: Sim City 5 - 3/8/2013 7:13:54 AM   
sanderz

there was a post on slashdot that said it was not transferrable to a different PC - can anyone confirm this?

apparantly Amazon withdrew sale becasue thet were getting so many refund requests and had 700+ 1 star reviews

(in reply to Missouri_Rebel)
Post #: 9
RE: Sim City 5 - 3/8/2013 10:57:29 AM   
catwhoorg

quote:

ORIGINAL: Missouri_Rebel

I refuse to support such draconian practices. The only thing I can do is vote with my dollars. I'll stay away.

Same here.
Shame in a way it does look fun.

Post #: 10
RE: Sim City 5 - 3/8/2013 12:17:25 PM   
wodin

Sorry always online for a single player game stinks..no buy from me.

My Tactical wargame facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/Tacticalwargame

(in reply to catwhoorg)
Post #: 11
RE: Sim City 5 - 3/8/2013 12:33:32 PM   
Otto von Blotto

A no go for me, not only online only which is a joke and I wouldn't buy on principle but a major step backwards from simcity 4 the maps are tiny city's have to be rectangular grids to fit even a small size town on them, no farming or space to landscape no highways, expensive for a basic game that will then have lots of extra content dripped in dlc's each at a cost and then with very little warning they will turn the servers off as they have done many times in the past.

Taken a great game and nerfed it IMO.

I'll stick with simcity 4 and cities XL.

"Personal isn't the same as important"

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 12
RE: Sim City 5 - 3/8/2013 1:24:57 PM   
LarryP

quote:

Amen! Voting with our money is our voice.

Post #: 13
RE: Sim City 5 - 3/8/2013 2:31:42 PM   
Titanwarrior89

I second that! For me, if the gaming business is coming to that and seems they maybe, then let go out of business.
quote:

ORIGINAL: LarryP

quote:

"Before Guadalcanal the enemy advanced at his pleasure. After Guadalcanal, he retreated at ours".

"Mama, There's Rabbits in the Garden"

(in reply to LarryP)
Post #: 14
RE: Sim City 5 - 3/8/2013 6:56:29 PM   
Titanwarrior89

Ive thought my original quote over and it is alittle harsh. Let's just say I won't buy their games. But I don't want anyone losing their jobs.
quote:

ORIGINAL: Titanwarrior89

I second that! For me, if the gaming business is coming to that and seems they maybe, then let go out of business.
quote:

ORIGINAL: LarryP

quote:

"Before Guadalcanal the enemy advanced at his pleasure. After Guadalcanal, he retreated at ours".

"Mama, There's Rabbits in the Garden"

(in reply to Titanwarrior89)
Post #: 15
RE: Sim City 5 - 3/8/2013 8:14:22 PM   
Terminus

It's frightful to watch how EA is messing up this disaster of a launch. They've just asked all media outlets (primarily websites) who've hosted adverts for Sim City to take them down. Presumably this is an attempt to avoid having even more pressure on their servers, though one would assume this won't be a problem the more word spreads of this fiasco.

(in reply to madflava13)
Post #: 16
RE: Sim City 5 - 3/8/2013 9:32:51 PM   
Missouri_Rebel

quote:

ORIGINAL: Terminus
though one would assume this won't be a problem the more word spreads of this fiasco.

I do believe you are right. A bad launch I can understand. A terrible launch and they may rethink things. Persistent online. Sheesh.

**A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have-Gerald Ford

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 17
RE: Sim City 5 - 3/8/2013 9:56:03 PM   
parusski

Whatever guys, I am happy with it.

I meant to add, if you make Fox News, there is a problem. LOL:

'SimCity' launch proves disastrous

< Message edited by parusski -- 3/8/2013 10:01:46 PM >

"I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast."- W.T. Sherman

Post #: 18
RE: Sim City 5 - 3/8/2013 10:07:31 PM   
Missouri_Rebel

quote:

ORIGINAL: parusski

You may be one of the few. It has a current user score of 1.5 at Metacritic. Any stock in EA?

(in reply to parusski)
Post #: 19
RE: Sim City 5 - 3/8/2013 11:01:45 PM   
parusski

quote:

quote:

You may be one of the few. It has a current user score of 1.5 at Metacritic. Any stock in EA?

That is a little cherry picking. The game has very good reviews, before the server issue. The horrible ratings are post server crash. Of course the best game in history will see a drop in average ratings after something like this. But the problem will be corrected and this does not take away from a fun, beautiful game.

Here is just one example, from Hardcoregamer.com

"When it’s working, SimCity is an ecstatic god game that can be addicting to play"

< Message edited by parusski -- 3/8/2013 11:04:53 PM >

Post #: 20
RE: Sim City 5 - 3/8/2013 11:58:51 PM   
Shark7

quote:

quote:

quote:

That is a little cherry picking. The game has very good reviews, before the server issue. The horrible ratings are post server crash. Of course the best game in history will see a drop in average ratings after something like this. But the problem will be corrected and this does not take away from a fun, beautiful game.

Here is just one example, from Hardcoregamer.com

"When it’s working, SimCity is an ecstatic god game that can be addicting to play"

Yes, the 'professional' reviews were all quite rosey. I've also found 'professional' reviews to be completely unreliable. I'll stick to reading reviews of fellow gamers that have actually played the game at home, not in a ideal (read: unveiling) setting. Or who are even given perks to review the product (happens in some cases).

I made the (very wise in hindsight) decision to stay away from SimCity due to the always online requirement. I am a huge fan of the Simcity Series through SC4. And the game itself might be playable, the problem is Always Online, Origin and EA. In this case EA's responses to the problem have been deplorable, their product is defective and yet they refuse refunds and threaten to ban players if they attempt to dispute the refund denial. Is EA trying to put itself out of business?

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

(in reply to parusski)
Post #: 21
RE: Sim City 5 - 3/9/2013 12:32:27 AM   
Darkspire

quote:

ORIGINAL: Otto von Blotto

A no go for me, not only online only which is a joke and I wouldn't buy on principle but a major step backwards from simcity 4 the maps are tiny city's have to be rectangular grids to fit even a small size town on them, no farming or space to landscape no highways, expensive for a basic game that will then have lots of extra content dripped in dlc's each at a cost and then with very little warning they will turn the servers off as they have done many times in the past.

Taken a great game and nerfed it IMO.

I'll stick with simcity 4 and cities XL.

Been waiting a long time for No.5, EA screwed up Spore with there tactics and now this, after the UBISOFT fiasco with the Settlers 7 and online only you would think that someone would pick up that folks dont want online only, like the DRM issue isn't bad enough already with EA, Steam etc. EA used to be the best company for new game types now just run by suits crunching the numbers, you are not wrong about the DLC just had a look on Youtube and found a play through and guess what? In the first two seconds there is a billboard with 'French City Set - Buy now' have a look here

Darkspire

Darkspires's File Repository

Dual Core E4500 2.20GHz - GeForce 8800GT (1gb) - XP 32bit 4gb with a 3gb twist and a shaking of PAE

(in reply to Otto von Blotto)
Post #: 22
RE: Sim City 5 - 3/9/2013 4:22:28 AM   
balto

When SimCity 5 was working (2 days and the betas), it was great. When they get the server thing fixed, you should get it. But it really is not single player. You can mechanically do it single player, but without working together with other players in a REGION, the experience is significantly diminished. Get it and you will see.

Also Anno 2070 is a single player online and it works flawlessly. That is a great game because it is like SimCity, but you have weapons (Air and naval, no land) and enemies..., really really cool.

Both are big bucks, but they are GREAT!

(in reply to Darkspire)
Post #: 23
RE: Sim City 5 - 3/9/2013 8:30:22 AM   
Terminus

I don't give three hoots for the "when it's working it's great" argument. You can't just cherry pick what parts of the game you want to review, and the disaster of always on is a part of the experience of the gamer.

BTW, the whole refusing refunds and banning people for demanding them is an unfounded rumour. EA has poured failure onto failure with this fiasco, but they haven't gone that far.

(in reply to balto)
Post #: 24
RE: Sim City 5 - 3/9/2013 2:41:00 PM   
wodin

The first time sad to say I'm slightly disappointed in you Mr P. Buying games that are always online for SP means they will continue to use such a stupid mechanic or whatever you'd call it. If everyone stayed away and didn't get caught up in the must have hype they'd soon scrap the notion of always online for an SP game. It's silly and wrong.
quote:

My Tactical wargame facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/Tacticalwargame

(in reply to parusski)
Post #: 25
RE: Sim City 5 - 3/9/2013 3:10:10 PM   
Josh

Have to agree with Wodin here, I've read some pretty p%$$ed off folks on other forums. People especially the early buyers are thoroughtly disappointed with the online DRM management, the small maps, the unplayable single player part, etc etc. I've even read somewhere that Amazon stopped selling it because there were so many refunds.
Haven't played Sim City since the first one back in '95 or so but I am really saddened to see it go this way.

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 26
RE: Sim City 5 - 3/9/2013 5:24:20 PM   
hadberz

I played in one of the beta weekends (it was online only too). The gameplay is solid, but no way in hell I would pay 60 bucks for this always online crap. It's too bad as I really did like the game.

(in reply to Josh)
Post #: 27
RE: Sim City 5 - 3/9/2013 5:42:38 PM   
LarryP

I've played this series from the first version on DOS up to Simcity 4. They lost my support with the decision to have Internet play. Frigging shame I can't just download what I pay for and play the game. Pretty stupid.

(in reply to hadberz)
Post #: 28
RE: Sim City 5 - 3/9/2013 6:28:10 PM   
Greybriar

For what it's worth, 2,777 negative out of 3013 customer reviews at Amazon.

This war is not about slavery. --Robert E. Lee

(in reply to madflava13)
Post #: 29
RE: Sim City 5 - 3/9/2013 9:01:00 PM   
Shark7

quote:

ORIGINAL: Terminus

I don't give three hoots for the "when it's working it's great" argument. You can't just cherry pick what parts of the game you want to review, and the disaster of always on is a part of the experience of the gamer.

BTW, the whole refusing refunds and banning people for demanding them is an unfounded rumour. EA has poured failure onto failure with this fiasco, but they haven't gone that far.

Rumor or not, its being reported by multpile legitimate news services (which can be wrong from time to time).

Even if it isn't true, it sure isn't helping EAs reputation...then again, EAs reputation is already so bad it probably can't get much worse.

And the real problem here all goes back to the always online DRM requirement. Everyone who wants to play has to connect, and they simply did not have the server capacity for the number of people playing. However, that problem will no doubt resolve itself shortly as people quit trying to play and simply get a refund or throw the game in the trash.

Matrix has it right, once I buy a game from here I install it using my serial number and play it, not having to worry about busy servers or server crashes. Single player games should NEVER require a person to play on a company server IMO.

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Sim City 5 Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI