Matrix Games Forums

Space Program Manager Launch Contest Announced!Battle Academy 2 is out now on iPad!A closer look at rockets in Space Program ManagerDeal of the Week - Pride of NationsA new update for Piercing Fortress EuropaNew screenshots for War in the West!Pike & Shot is now available!Server Maintenance Battle Academy 2 gets updated!Deal of the Week: Advanced Tactics Gold
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Build 4.4.258

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command Ops Series >> Build 4.4.258 Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Build 4.4.258 - 3/6/2013 1:43:31 AM   
Arjuna

Hi all,

I have begun the upload to Matrix of a new build 4.4.258. This will be another public beta but I'm pretty confident that this will be the final for the patch #4. It will take Matrix some time to make it available. Please be patient.

Fixes for Build 4.4.258

• Ensure subGroup not added twice when generating right echelon formation. Fixes assert at ScenForceFormation 2612.
  • Add extra test to assert at PD 3759 to handle cases where a unit requests extra time to slip its plan and where the boss abandons its plan in the process.
  • Ensure that AssessForSubAttacksWhoseReorgsCanBeBroughtForward() aborts cleanly if the force is waiting to receive orders from boss aand has already curtailed the missionTask end. Addresses assert at TaskAttack line 1727.
  • Ensure that static arty units assigned to their own mission plan within the onMapBoss's OpPlan are searched when calling GetAvailableOnCallSupport(). This ensures that they get a chance to fire if not in direct support of a particular mission.
  • Ensure that dateTimes are validated for local settings.
  • Ensure that cases where no valid route can be generated are handled properly throughout the assessment functions.
  • Remove and prevent UI loopbacks that were causing task changes not to stick while the game was paused.
  • Added new code to assess for stalled moves that will either wait, bypass or replan depending on a number of factors like are there any subordinates attacking, can we bypass effectively. In the process overhauled the AssessBypass() and ensured that the caution factor was increased each time a bypass attempt was made thus making it more likely the force would select a route that avoided the enemy.
  • Added new unit log messages and player reports for stalled moves.
  • Fixed bug inside MustWait() that was allowing filler units to move off even though the unit ahead of them was still receiving his move orders. This should fix cases where support units charge off on their own ahead of the main body.
  • Ensure that the nextRouteIndex and nextRouteLoc are used consistently throughout the formation movement code. This avoids formation lockups.
  • Ensure that units don't request emergency resupplies of ammo for which they have no weapon left that can use that ammo type.
  • Revise the cap on emergency resupply ammo qty, ensuring that units get at least something. These two fixes prevents the never ending loop of units requesting emergency ammo that they don't need and also of not getting ammo they do need.
  • Ensure that when creating a new route that all exiting waypoints are cleared. This fixes a bug that wasn't clearing the interim waypoint and adding it to the new route, even though it shouldn't.
  • Ensure that routing and recovering units do not try and create a new route if they reassess their task. This could see a routing or recovering unit heading back to its objective before it had recovered. This may explain some cases of units retreating toward the enemy.

Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com
Post #: 1
RE: Build 4.4.258 - 3/6/2013 3:02:49 AM   
AndrewKurtz

Awesome! Thank you Can't wait

(in reply to Arjuna)
Post #: 2
RE: Build 4.4.258 - 3/6/2013 4:50:02 AM   
loyalcitizen

quote:

• Ensure that static arty units assigned to their own mission plan within the onMapBoss's OpPlan are searched when calling GetAvailableOnCallSupport(). This ensures that they get a chance to fire if not in direct support of a particular mission.

• Can you explain a little about what this means? If I turn a bunch of arty units into one command and personally direct the firing missions, will they now still support their native unit from time to time?

(in reply to Arjuna)
    Post #: 3
    RE: Build 4.4.258 - 3/6/2013 5:00:36 AM   
    Arjuna

quote:

ORIGINAL: loyalcitizen

quote:

• Can you explain a little about what this means? If I turn a bunch of arty units into one command and personally direct the firing missions, will they now still support their native unit from time to time?

Normally arty units are asigned to other forces conducting missions. However, static arty because they can't move can't be assigned to a mobile mission and can only be assigned to non-mobile missions like defends if they can reach the mission objective. So sometimes they may end up unallocated and the onMapBoss will instead give them their own defend insitu mission.

When a unit requests on call support it checks its own recources first, then goes up the line of it superiors asking them in turn for assistance. At each level up the chain the superior will look through its own mission's force group and see if it can have them provide the support. However, this search is limited to the superior's current mission. Hence those statis arty conducting their own mission missed out.

With the mods I have made it will check and see if the superior is the onMapBoss and if so it checks for these static insitu missions and if the subject of these can reach the targetLoc then it may allocate it to do so.

Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
    www.panthergames.com

(in reply to loyalcitizen)
    Post #: 4
    RE: Build 4.4.258 - 3/6/2013 7:53:31 AM   
    phoenix

Many thanks, Dave. Very much appreciated.

(in reply to Arjuna)
    Post #: 5
    RE: Build 4.4.258 - 3/6/2013 8:03:29 AM   
    Ramses

Looking forward to it. Thanks.

(in reply to phoenix)
    Post #: 6
    RE: Build 4.4.258 - 3/6/2013 10:10:54 AM   
    dazkaz15

I have been playing the old public release, for the last few days, and although it is more stable than the beta version, in fact it never crashes.... ever.
    It has become very evident how much work you have put into the game since, and Im really missing the new stuff, the better formations especially.

I'm looking forward to installing the latest beta.

Thanks for all your hard work Dave.

Daz

(in reply to Ramses)
    Post #: 7
    RE: Build 4.4.258 - 3/6/2013 4:10:44 PM   
    wodin

yeah this patch is a big one..probably the biggest we've had since release I reckon. Big thanks from me too.

Lets all be patient here. Obviously Matrix must be busy so I imagine we will have a wait on our hands. SO lets give it at least three or four weeks before we all start moaning;)

< Message edited by wodin -- 3/6/2013 7:50:48 PM >

My Tactical wargame facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/Tacticalwargame

(in reply to dazkaz15)
    Post #: 8
    RE: Build 4.4.258 - 3/6/2013 5:43:45 PM   
    Txema

Thank you very much, Arjuna

Looking forward to the new beta patch !!

Txema

(in reply to wodin)
    Post #: 9
    RE: Build 4.4.258 - 3/6/2013 6:43:26 PM   
    RockinHarry

Another big thanks to you Dave and looking forward to this new beta.

RockinHarry in the web:

http://www.myspace.com/rockinharryz
    http://www.youtube.com/user/rockinharryz
    https://www.facebook.com/harry.zann

(in reply to Txema)
    Post #: 10
    RE: Build 4.4.258 - 3/6/2013 7:22:16 PM   
    gabeeg

Dave,

Thank you, this is a great game and it is amazing what this AI does. I really appreciate that amount of work you put into these continued updates and your willingness to listen to your users.

(in reply to RockinHarry)
    Post #: 11
    RE: Build 4.4.258 - 3/6/2013 7:52:08 PM   
    wodin

We can't complain still getting big patches nearly three years after release.

Big thanks Dave..thanks for putting up with us all.

(in reply to gabeeg)
    Post #: 12
    RE: Build 4.4.258 - 3/6/2013 8:39:11 PM   
    Ramses

quote:

ORIGINAL: wodin

Big thanks Dave..thanks for putting up with us all.

Agreed 100 %

(in reply to wodin)
    Post #: 13
    RE: Build 4.4.258 - 3/6/2013 10:00:39 PM   
    captskillet

Another big amen on this game system and the developer.....................job well done Dave! How long after this goes up as the final patch till we see the COTA add on?

"Git thar fust with the most men" - Gen. Nathan Bedford Forrest

(in reply to Ramses)
    Post #: 14
    RE: Build 4.4.258 - 3/6/2013 10:30:24 PM   
    Arjuna

We're doinf final playtesting on COTA now. It's al;ways hard to give a prediction as it depends on what is thrown up if anything by the testing. If nothing then we will probably sign off in a week or two. But of copurse Matrix will need time to fit it intop their schedule.

Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
    www.panthergames.com

(in reply to captskillet)
    Post #: 15
    RE: Build 4.4.258 - 3/7/2013 6:11:20 PM   
    GBS

SO lets give it at least three or four weeks before we all start moaning;)
    [/quote]

Three or four weeks is ridiculous. Nobody has ever explained why Matrix takes so long to provide the patch for CO when it is completed, when patches for games by other developers are available seemingly daily. 2by3 for example. Three or four weeks? Please....

(in reply to wodin)
    Post #: 16
    RE: Build 4.4.258 - 3/7/2013 6:29:00 PM   
    springel

quote:

ORIGINAL: GBS

Three or four weeks is ridiculous. Nobody has ever explained why Matrix takes so long to provide the patch for CO when it is completed, when patches for games by other developers are available seemingly daily. 2by3 for example. Three or four weeks? Please....

Who mentioned three or four weeks?

Matrix explained why it took so long around Christmas, when they were ill.

However, redelivery of a beta-patch shouldn't take much more work than replacing some files in a repository, change some version numbers, some build activities and some editing on the web-site. If that takes more than an hour or even a few, something is wrong with the procedure. But maybe even a few hours is a scarce resource?

< Message edited by springel -- 3/7/2013 9:04:28 PM >

(in reply to GBS)
    Post #: 17
    RE: Build 4.4.258 - 3/7/2013 6:54:36 PM   
    wodin

quote:

ORIGINAL: GBS

SO lets give it at least three or four weeks before we all start moaning;)

Well Dave said Matrix are busy so it will take awhile and be patient..awhile for Matrix going by the past I presume 3 or 4 weeks..however it could turn up in two ..who knows.

(in reply to GBS)
    Post #: 18
    RE: Build 4.4.258 - 3/7/2013 9:08:03 PM   
    springel

quote:

ORIGINAL: Arjuna

We're doinf final playtesting on COTA now. It's al;ways hard to give a prediction as it depends on what is thrown up if anything by the testing. If nothing then we will probably sign off in a week or two. But of copurse Matrix will need time to fit it intop their schedule.

Great news.

I had great fun with some of the COTA scenarios, and I would love to replay them in the improved engine. They were of nice size, while the Battle of the Bulge scenario's are mostly too massive and too grinding for my taste.

(in reply to Arjuna)
    Post #: 19
    RE: Build 4.4.258 - 3/7/2013 10:27:25 PM   
    phoenix

I think Matrix will have it sorted by the end of the week. They were very quick with the last build. Only the christmas illness issue slowed them. That was a one off. I hope.....

They're less prompt at keeping us informed sometimes. A quick message to say - it will be up by Friday/Monday/whatever - would be nice. I don't think you can claim that work pressure stops you posting a five second message. Though it's a hassle to do so, of course. It may be, however, that their processes do not include checking posts here at all, except periodically, so they haven't a clue that we're already griping...... (But we still love you, Erik, honestly....)

It may be that we're the smallest title they publish, more or less. That wouldn't surprise me (despite being the best wargame ever made). Hence bottom of the pile.

< Message edited by phoenix -- 3/7/2013 10:33:35 PM >

(in reply to springel)
    Post #: 20
    RE: Build 4.4.258 - 3/7/2013 10:44:33 PM   
    Bletchley_Geek

quote:

ORIGINAL: phoenix
    I think Matrix will have it sorted by the end of the week. They were very quick with the last build. Only the christmas illness issue slowed them. That was a one off. I hope.....

They're less prompt at keeping us informed sometimes. A quick message to say - it will be up by Friday/Monday/whatever - would be nice. I don't think you can claim that work pressure stops you posting a five second message. Though it's a hassle to do so, of course. It may be, however, that their processes do not include checking posts here at all, except periodically, so they haven't a clue that we're already griping...... (But we still love you, Erik, honestly....)

It may be that we're the smallest title they publish, more or less. That wouldn't surprise me (despite being the best wargame ever made). Hence bottom of the pile.

To be honest, Matrix staff usually handle patches very quickly, given the technology they're using to distribute their stuff - keep in mind that Matrix isn't Steam nor Netflix, so things are slow and comparatively speaking, somewhat inefficient. I don't think they do any kind of "triage" on titles as you suggest, on the contrary, I've seen them supporting painstakingly even the most obvious flops. And I'm also pretty positive that their processes don't include sharing their scheduled tasks with random peeps in the Internet :o)

(in reply to phoenix)
    Post #: 21
    RE: Build 4.4.258 - 3/7/2013 11:03:28 PM   
    Happy Hedonist

Thank you for your hard work Arjuna. Command Ops is easily my favorite wargame and I love the fact you are still releasing hefty patches almost 3 years after release. Other developers would charge me $10 for such a comprehensive patch!

(in reply to Bletchley_Geek)
    Post #: 22
    RE: Build 4.4.258 - 3/7/2013 11:13:35 PM   
    Arjuna

So I should charge then should I?

Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
    www.panthergames.com

(in reply to Happy Hedonist)
    Post #: 23
    RE: Build 4.4.258 - 3/7/2013 11:39:21 PM   
    Happy Hedonist

Okay, that literally made me lol.

While paying for patches does irritate me, I'd have no problem with a Paradox style model where big changes are rolled out with expansions. This works too though. Sweeten us all up with a wonderful patch before releasing a bunch of great scenarios! :)

(in reply to Arjuna)
    Post #: 24
    RE: Build 4.4.258 - 3/8/2013 9:24:44 AM   
    phoenix

quote:

And I'm also pretty positive that their processes don't include sharing their scheduled tasks with random peeps in the Internet :o)

Not sure what that means, Bletch. Is 'peeps' a noun (as the 'in the internet' suggests) that I don't know of? Or did you mean 'I'm pretty sure their processes don't include checking the internet'? Or some such. At any rate - are you condoning the lack of info? Just don't understand what you mean, sorry. But it takes a few seconds to post something saying 'should have it up by x', and I'm not sure what the harm of that could be. Sounds like good customer relations, no? But maybe you were just saying they don't, in fact, do that, as I suggested they don't.

(in reply to Happy Hedonist)
    Post #: 25
    RE: Build 4.4.258 - 3/8/2013 12:48:59 PM   
    wodin

peeps..is slang for people.

Dave said Matrix are busy so please be patient..as a warning it may take abit. So saying end of the week seems way to optimistic to me after Dave stated the aforementioned. We should err on the side of caution and give them two or three weeks to sort it, before the whens it coming posts begin.

(in reply to phoenix)
    Post #: 26
    RE: Build 4.4.258 - 3/8/2013 12:49:49 PM   
    Bletchley_Geek

quote:

ORIGINAL: phoenix

quote:

And I'm also pretty positive that their processes don't include sharing their scheduled tasks with random peeps in the Internet :o)

Not sure what that means, Bletch. Is 'peeps' a noun (as the 'in the internet' suggests) that I don't know of? Or did you mean 'I'm pretty sure their processes don't include checking the internet'? Or some such. At any rate - are you condoning the lack of info? Just don't understand what you mean, sorry. But it takes a few seconds to post something saying 'should have it up by x', and I'm not sure what the harm of that could be. Sounds like good customer relations, no? But maybe you were just saying they don't, in fact, do that, as I suggested they don't.

peeps = people.

I've yet to see a company managing as many titles as Matrix does publishing their internal Excel spreadsheets detailing staff assigned tasks for the wide world to see, comment and critique on.

What I'm condoning is the right someone has to run his business as they see fit. No more, no less.

(in reply to phoenix)
    Post #: 27
    RE: Build 4.4.258 - 3/8/2013 1:07:16 PM   
    phoenix

Ah. People. Thanks. 'The right to run their business as they see fit' - that's what you're condoning. I see. Thanks for the clarification.

Post #: 28
    RE: Build 4.4.258 - 3/8/2013 1:16:25 PM   
    jimcarravallah

It's a lot easier to sit on the outside and say how things "should" run and being on the inside responsible for running them within cost, schedule, and performance constraints.

I tell people that the worst boss I ever worked for was myself.

Refers to when I owned a business and had to put in time, make personal sacrifices, and take a financial hit that I'd never ask an employee to endure as part of his / her employment in the business' behalf.

Don't know enough about the gaming business to judge the Matrix performance in relation to its peers, but can say it offers a nice one source location for me to search for the kind of war games I like to play, and haven't been disappointed by its customer response to my needs.

Take care,

jim

Post #: 29
    RE: Build 4.4.258 - 3/8/2013 4:15:51 PM   
    RockinHarry

impatience is the enemy of any good commander.

RockinHarry in the web:

http://www.myspace.com/rockinharryz
    http://www.youtube.com/user/rockinharryz
    https://www.facebook.com/harry.zann

(in reply to jimcarravallah)
    Post #: 30
    Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
    All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command Ops Series >> Build 4.4.258 Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
    Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
    Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
    Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
     Post New Thread
     Reply to Message
     Post New Poll
     Submit Vote
     Delete My Own Post
     Delete My Own Thread
     Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI