Russians Summer 1942

The development team behind the award-winning games Decisive Campaigns: From Warsaw To Paris and Advanced Tactics is back with a new and improved game engine that focuses on the decisive year and theater of World War II! Decisive Campaigns: Case Blue simulates the German drive to Stalingrad and into the Caucasus of the summer of 1942, as well as its May preludes (2nd Kharkov offensive, Operation Trappenjagd) and also the Soviet winter counter-offensive (Operation Uranus) that ended with the encirclement of 6th Army in Stalingrad and the destruction of the axis minor armies. With many improvements including the PBEM++ system, this is a release to watch for wargamers!

Moderator: Vic

wallas

Russians Summer 1942

Post by wallas »

I have been reading some posts about the hopelessness of the russian defence. Some have said the Axis are to powerful during the summer of 1942, and the game is unbalanced. I would have to disagree with this assesment and say a play style and historical prejudice is the problem. In my experience if your acting like the axis in the summer of 1942 by stacking three regiments or a full strength division in a hex with a brigade to maximize stacking and combat strength your going to get butchered as the Russians. Take your full strength division & brigade if applicable and rather then stacking it vertical in the same hex stack it horizontal three deep with the brigade at the back for the fourth deep if the unit count allows. Once the germans have pushed into the line then reinforce behind and always try and keep 3 deep. Can the germans break through sure and you will suffer losses as one unit cannot possible hold a hex, but axis AP will be eaten up greatly. Very hard to lose armies to encirclement when there spread out one regiment per hex over a large area. Once the initiative has been turned then go to 100 stack points per hex. If a major river or rough or urban terrain present then I will stack in a hex, but otherwise I spread out. My gospel only, and do with it as you may and I have been proven wrong many times.

Disclosure; I am not a professional [&o]

Return to “Decisive Campaigns: Case Blue”