Matrix Games Forums

New Screenshots for Pike & ShotDeal of the Week Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations WOTYCommand: Modern Air/Naval Operations WOTY is now available!Frontline : The Longest Day Announced and in Beta!Command gets Wargame of the Year EditionDeal of the Week: Pandora SeriesPandora: Eclipse of Nashira is now availableDistant Worlds Gets another updateHell is Approaching Deal of the Week Battle Academy
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Air support Q

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Air support Q Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Air support Q - 3/5/2013 5:57:32 PM   
U2

Quick question guys,

Lets pretend I have a base with 100 aircraft and 100 aircraft support. That is enough...1 air support per aircraft. Let's pretend I had another base with 200 air support with 100 aicraft based there. Would aircraft at the latter airbase repair more quickly than at the former?

Thanks!
Post #: 1
RE: Air support Q - 3/5/2013 7:13:24 PM   
Lokasenna

On a basic level, yes, but I think there is more too it.

Barely having enough (or not having enough) Av. Support for the planes that you are flying every day will result in the Av. Supp. units accumulating more fatigue (IIRC). Also, I think higher service ratings on planes "sort of" requires more Av. Support to keep them in good condition. As a general rule, I try to keep about 1.25-1.5 times as much Av. Supp. as the base info screen says is required.

I recommend having more than you need to minimize ops losses and overworking on your ground crews. Plus, if you get bombed and Av. Supp. squads get disabled, you'll have extra there already ;).

(in reply to U2)
Post #: 2
RE: Air support Q - 3/5/2013 7:37:54 PM   
koniu

Service rating will be major issue there.
For plane with SR 1 You need 1AV to repairs work at 100% efficiency, but to have the same effect for planes with SR 2 You will need to have 2 AV points or efficiency will be smaller. 3AV to planes with SR3 etc...

So to keep 100% efficiency for 100 B-29 (SR5), You will need 500AV support or 250AV support if AF is lvl 8+ (only if you using beta patch as AF lvl 8+ is doubling AV support in beta)

In last official patch there is something like 250AV CAP (not sure how that work - removed in beta)

Not sure how size of AF will impact on repair speed but for sure if AF is not overstocked planes will repair faster comparing to situation when You have more planes that AF can support

< Message edited by koniu -- 3/5/2013 7:42:31 PM >

"Only the Dead Have Seen the End of War"

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 3
RE: Air support Q - 3/5/2013 8:21:27 PM   
HansBolter

Don't the avaition engineers who don't actually provide any AV support also impact airframe repair and maintenance?

Hans

(in reply to koniu)
Post #: 4
RE: Air support Q - 3/6/2013 3:23:54 PM   
U2

Thank you

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 5
RE: Air support Q - 3/6/2013 3:49:42 PM   
Mundy

It does go by the number of engines, rather than aircraft, technically, doesn't it?

Ed

(in reply to U2)
Post #: 6
RE: Air support Q - 3/6/2013 7:56:03 PM   
rockmedic109

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mundy

It does go by the number of engines, rather than aircraft, technically, doesn't it?

Ed

That was my understanding. I did not know that the higher service ratings required more support. Makes sense, though. And it is just one more reason why this game will go down as the all time greatest.

(in reply to Mundy)
Post #: 7
RE: Air support Q - 3/11/2013 8:20:29 PM   
Amoral

I am not sure this is correct, but it is the rule as I understand it:

Your [airfield size + command radius of Air HQ] must be greater than the number of airgroups (or number of engines divided by 50 in the beta), or you take a penalty to all groups at the air base for air operations (fewer planes fly, more ops losses). AF size 8 and 9 are immune.
You need 1 AV support per plane, or you take a penalty to all groups at the air base for air operations (fewer planes fly, more ops losses). If yuo have 255 AV you are immune to this penalty. You need 1 AV support per Service Rating for each plane, or that plane will slowly build up maintenance damage, and will be more prone to not flying and ops losses.

< Message edited by Amoral -- 3/12/2013 3:39:08 PM >

(in reply to rockmedic109)
Post #: 8
RE: Air support Q - 3/11/2013 9:06:39 PM   
Sardaukar

Number of engines in Betas.

"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

(in reply to Amoral)
Post #: 9
RE: Air support Q - 3/11/2013 11:39:54 PM   
DaveConn

In the beta, I see that stacking is now based on the number of engines, but it looks like AV support is still based on number of planes; and I didn't see anything about moving to to "AV support per engine" in the patch notes. Am I missing something?

(in reply to Sardaukar)
Post #: 10
RE: Air support Q - 3/12/2013 12:50:43 AM   
Sredni

Airfield stacking is a separate issue from AV support.

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2220429

^ A thread with some info about stacking.

Basically 50 engines and/or 1 group per airfield level for stacking. HQ's effect number of groups allowed, but not engine numbers allowed.

For AV support needed, I *think* it's 1 AV per aircraft required, and the field will benefit from up to twice as much AV as required at minimum (for speedier repair of AC).

Yeah, checking the manual it's "One Aviation Support point is required for each aircraft operating at an airfield to function at maximum efficiency." section 15.4 page 252 of the manual.

I couldn't find anything confirming that more AV is beneficial in the manual, but I do remember reading such on the forums. Not sure if this is confirmed info, or just broscience type info.

(in reply to DaveConn)
Post #: 11
RE: Air support Q - 4/17/2013 12:54:14 AM   
Justus2

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I was doing a search, and while this thread is the most relevant, I don't see a definitive answer. Is AV required still 1 per plane, or 1 per engine. I've seen several references to the '1 per engine' or occasionally '1 per SR', but nothing in patch notes through Beta 1123 that references changing AV requirements. And in-game, it seems to display 1 per plane as required AvSpt. Can anyone confirm/deny?

Currently Playing:
War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition (learning, not really playing ;) )
LST 325 Fanboy!

(in reply to Sredni)
Post #: 12
RE: Air support Q - 4/17/2013 6:58:57 AM   
Commander Cody

I am inclined to believe you don't need any more than it says for "Aviation Support Required" on the base screen as in the manual (as pointed out by Sredni). Any additional is a wash.

Cheers,
CC

Beer, because barley makes lousy bread.

(in reply to Justus2)
Post #: 13
RE: Air support Q - 4/17/2013 7:13:05 AM   
Sardaukar

It is per engine in Betas, michaelm has confirmed that.

And yes, more is better in AV Support.

"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

(in reply to Commander Cody)
Post #: 14
RE: Air support Q - 4/17/2013 4:14:04 PM   
Lokasenna

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sardaukar

It is per engine in Betas, michaelm has confirmed that.

And yes, more is better in AV Support.

Does the Aviation Support Required field on the Base Information screen show per engine now as well, or is it still just number of planes?

I must have missed this change, good to know.

(in reply to Sardaukar)
Post #: 15
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Air support Q Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI