Matrix Games Forums

Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm gets huge update and a Steam release!Battle Academy 2 opens up a new front!Flashpoint Campaigns Featured on weekly Streaming SessionFrontline: The Longest Day - New Screenshots!Deal of the Week: Hannibal Rome and CarthageFlashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm gets Players Edition!To End All Wars gets its first major patch! Hell is now available!War in the West Wacht am Rhein AAR Deal of the Week Panzer Corps: Allied Corps
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Strategic Resource Shortages

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds Series >> Strategic Resource Shortages Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Strategic Resource Shortages - 3/5/2013 1:14:36 AM   
Xmudder

I play the Akdarians, and I have found myself running out of strategic (shipbuilding) resources in the early game. Polymer, Carbon Fiber, and Steel are not found on Ocean planets. And my shipbuilding just stops.

I believe this also happens to the AI, and stunts their early game growth.

The automation is good at supplying resources they are in a steady demand (Luxuries, Gas) but not intermittent / irregular demand (shipbuilding). Further, I can not queue up constructors to mine these planets because the option in the exploration planner only becomes available when I run out.

I have some requests / suggestions:

1) Average last years consumption of Strategic materials, and try to mine enough resources to meet it next year. And teach the automation to meet it.

2) Have a resource check before suggesting new ships and retrofitting.

But for now, a simple quick and dirty fix, would be a warning "Inadequate resources to build queued ships" and prioritizing mining such locations. Instead, I found my constructors building research and resort bases. I can manually fix this problem, but only if I am made aware of it. And if I am not warned, it can take me some time to realize nothing has been built recently.

Also, can we slow down the upgrade requests? I get them every time I research something, and I am overrun with pirates while they queue up... and are never built. Maybe once a year? Every x technologies? Something that can be automated (frequent / occasional / rare).
Post #: 1
RE: Strategic Resource Shortages - 3/5/2013 8:02:06 AM   
Ralzakark

You can queue up construction ships, you need to change the view in the expansion planner to show the resources by Galactic Priority, or use the resource filters on the galaxy map to find them.

Agree it would be useful for a warning message about lack of resources before building ships, but the economic situation can be very dynamic and a missing resource might soon become available through trade or a new mining station coming on line.

(in reply to Xmudder)
Post #: 2
RE: Strategic Resource Shortages - 3/5/2013 6:48:03 PM   
Sithuk

Erik posted that the shadows expansion will greatly improve resource reporting. I'm hoping that includes the warnings about construction resource shortages before ordering new ships.

The improvement in information provision is one of the most exciting features about the Shadows expansion for me. I fear now that I can only be disappointed because I've set my expectations so high.

(in reply to Ralzakark)
Post #: 3
RE: Strategic Resource Shortages - 3/6/2013 12:36:24 AM   
ehsumrell1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sithuk

Erik posted that the shadows expansion will greatly improve resource reporting. I'm hoping that includes the warnings about construction resource shortages before ordering new ships.

The improvement in information provision is one of the most exciting features about the Shadows expansion for me. I fear now that I can only be disappointed because I've set my expectations so high.

Hello Sithuk.

I can only say this.....

YOU WON'T BE DISAPPOINTED!

{...Admiral Ruafo disappears back into the Briar Patch Nebula!}

< Message edited by ehsumrell1 -- 3/6/2013 12:37:18 AM >

Shields are useless in "The Briar Patch"...

(in reply to Sithuk)
Post #: 4
RE: Strategic Resource Shortages - 3/6/2013 1:52:35 AM   
Xmudder

Ok, thanks.

Having played this map some more, I think I somehow ended up in a carbon fiber poor section of the galaxy. Years later, I am still having carbon fiber shortages (12k in stock, 80k demand) while the galactic stock is greater than galactic demand.

And I have colonized or sent a constructor to every single carbon filament source I can find.

Question: I have mining rights with some of my friends. Will carbon fibers in their domain show up in the galaxy map / send a constructor view?

(in reply to ehsumrell1)
Post #: 5
RE: Strategic Resource Shortages - 3/6/2013 9:19:44 AM   
Bingeling

If they got carbon fiber available, you should receive some by trade. They have probably built mines on their own sources.

The best spot to figure out where sources are is the galaxy map. I am not sure if you tried that? Select known resources and the one you look for. This could give some priority targets for future wars.

(in reply to Xmudder)
Post #: 6
RE: Strategic Resource Shortages - 3/6/2013 11:09:57 AM   
HectorOfTroy

quote:

ORIGINAL: ehsumrell1

quote:

Hello Sithuk.

I can only say this.....

Nova-class dreadnought is sent after ehsumrell into Briar Patch...please report with more intel on Shadows!

(in reply to ehsumrell1)
Post #: 7
RE: Strategic Resource Shortages - 3/6/2013 7:06:43 PM   
Sithuk

Thanks for the hint. I look forward to seeing the resulting implementation.

quote:

quote:

Hello Sithuk.

I can only say this.....

(in reply to ehsumrell1)
Post #: 8
RE: Strategic Resource Shortages - 3/7/2013 4:35:25 AM   
ehsumrell1

quote:

ORIGINAL: HectorOfTroy

Nova-class dreadnought is sent after ehsumrell into Briar Patch...please report with more intel on Shadows!

....as Admiral Ruafo remains silent, cloaked and running on zero emissions in the Briar Patch,
a patrolling, HEAVILY ARMED Romulan Warbird denies entrance to any vessel attempting entry into Son'a space!

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by ehsumrell1 -- 3/7/2013 4:38:59 AM >

(in reply to HectorOfTroy)
Post #: 9
RE: Strategic Resource Shortages - 3/7/2013 10:57:50 AM   
HectorOfTroy

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: HectorOfTroy

....as Admiral Ruafo remains silent, cloaked and running on zero emissions in the Briar Patch,
a patrolling, HEAVILY ARMED Romulan Warbird denies entrance to any vessel attempting entry into Son'a space!

Might have to send this then...

Attachment (1)

(in reply to ehsumrell1)
Post #: 10
RE: Strategic Resource Shortages - 3/7/2013 12:04:40 PM   
ehsumrell1

Damn......SORRY about that!

Yes....Igard gave me a Warbird that can fire while cloaked!
{Created in Woodman's Shipyard back when DATA was raiding Ale ships!}

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by ehsumrell1 -- 3/7/2013 12:10:55 PM >

Post #: 11
RE: Strategic Resource Shortages - 3/7/2013 1:03:17 PM   
HectorOfTroy

NOOOOOOOOO

(in reply to ehsumrell1)
Post #: 12
RE: Strategic Resource Shortages - 3/7/2013 5:28:38 PM   
Xmudder

In a new game, it was even worse. I have explored the whole galaxy, and mined every source of carbon fibre, and the galactic demand for it is twice the galactic supply.

If I impose a trade embargo on someone, does that mean I can not but their carbon fibre?

And why does the Ai keep building 2 resort bases and 2 research station in the same location?

Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds Series >> Strategic Resource Shortages Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI