Strategic Resource Shortages

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

Xmudder

Strategic Resource Shortages

Post by Xmudder »

I play the Akdarians, and I have found myself running out of strategic (shipbuilding) resources in the early game. Polymer, Carbon Fiber, and Steel are not found on Ocean planets. And my shipbuilding just stops.

I believe this also happens to the AI, and stunts their early game growth.

The automation is good at supplying resources they are in a steady demand (Luxuries, Gas) but not intermittent / irregular demand (shipbuilding). Further, I can not queue up constructors to mine these planets because the option in the exploration planner only becomes available when I run out.

I have some requests / suggestions:

1) Average last years consumption of Strategic materials, and try to mine enough resources to meet it next year. And teach the automation to meet it.

2) Have a resource check before suggesting new ships and retrofitting.

But for now, a simple quick and dirty fix, would be a warning "Inadequate resources to build queued ships" and prioritizing mining such locations. Instead, I found my constructors building research and resort bases. I can manually fix this problem, but only if I am made aware of it. And if I am not warned, it can take me some time to realize nothing has been built recently.

Also, can we slow down the upgrade requests? I get them every time I research something, and I am overrun with pirates while they queue up... and are never built. Maybe once a year? Every x technologies? Something that can be automated (frequent / occasional / rare).
Ralzakark

RE: Strategic Resource Shortages

Post by Ralzakark »

You can queue up construction ships, you need to change the view in the expansion planner to show the resources by Galactic Priority, or use the resource filters on the galaxy map to find them.

Agree it would be useful for a warning message about lack of resources before building ships, but the economic situation can be very dynamic and a missing resource might soon become available through trade or a new mining station coming on line.
Ossipago, Barbatus, and Famulimus
Sithuk

Post by Sithuk »

Erik posted that the shadows expansion will greatly improve resource reporting. I'm hoping that includes the warnings about construction resource shortages before ordering new ships.

The improvement in information provision is one of the most exciting features about the Shadows expansion for me. I fear now that I can only be disappointed because I've set my expectations so high.
ehsumrell1

Post by ehsumrell1 »

ORIGINAL: Sithuk

Erik posted that the shadows expansion will greatly improve resource reporting. I'm hoping that includes the warnings about construction resource shortages before ordering new ships.

The improvement in information provision is one of the most exciting features about the Shadows expansion for me. I fear now that I can only be disappointed because I've set my expectations so high.
Hello Sithuk.

I can only say this.....

YOU WON'T BE DISAPPOINTED! [:D]

{...Admiral Ruafo disappears back into the Briar Patch Nebula!}
Shields are useless in "The Briar Patch"...
Xmudder

Post by Xmudder »

Ok, thanks.

Having played this map some more, I think I somehow ended up in a carbon fiber poor section of the galaxy. Years later, I am still having carbon fiber shortages (12k in stock, 80k demand) while the galactic stock is greater than galactic demand.

And I have colonized or sent a constructor to every single carbon filament source I can find.

Question: I have mining rights with some of my friends. Will carbon fibers in their domain show up in the galaxy map / send a constructor view?
Bingeling

Post by Bingeling »

If they got carbon fiber available, you should receive some by trade. They have probably built mines on their own sources.

The best spot to figure out where sources are is the galaxy map. I am not sure if you tried that? Select known resources and the one you look for. This could give some priority targets for future wars.
HectorOfTroy

Post by HectorOfTroy »

ORIGINAL: ehsumrell1

Hello Sithuk.

I can only say this.....

Nova-class dreadnought is sent after ehsumrell into Briar Patch...please report with more intel on Shadows!
Sithuk

Post by Sithuk »

Thanks for the hint. I look forward to seeing the resulting implementation.

Hello Sithuk.

I can only say this.....

ehsumrell1

Post by ehsumrell1 »

ORIGINAL: HectorOfTroy

Nova-class dreadnought is sent after ehsumrell into Briar Patch...please report with more intel on Shadows!

....as Admiral Ruafo remains silent, cloaked and running on zero emissions in the Briar Patch,
a patrolling, HEAVILY ARMED Romulan Warbird denies entrance to any vessel attempting entry into Son'a space!
[:-]

Attachments
Dderidex_c..Warbird.jpg
Dderidex_c..Warbird.jpg (17.02 KiB) Viewed 152 times
HectorOfTroy

Post by HectorOfTroy »

ORIGINAL: HectorOfTroy

....as Admiral Ruafo remains silent, cloaked and running on zero emissions in the Briar Patch,
a patrolling, HEAVILY ARMED Romulan Warbird denies entrance to any vessel attempting entry into Son'a space!
[:-]

Might have to send this then...

Attachments
wstar.gif
wstar.gif (39.11 KiB) Viewed 152 times
ehsumrell1

Post by ehsumrell1 »

Damn......SORRY about that! [:-]

Yes....Igard gave me a Warbird that can fire while cloaked!
{Created in Woodman's Shipyard back when DATA was raiding Ale ships!}
Attachments
White_Star..explodes.jpg
White_Star..explodes.jpg (47.95 KiB) Viewed 152 times
HectorOfTroy

Post by HectorOfTroy »

NOOOOOOOOO
Xmudder

Post by Xmudder »

In a new game, it was even worse. I have explored the whole galaxy, and mined every source of carbon fibre, and the galactic demand for it is twice the galactic supply.

If I impose a trade embargo on someone, does that mean I can not but their carbon fibre?

And why does the Ai keep building 2 resort bases and 2 research station in the same location?

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”