Matrix Games Forums

Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm version 2.08 is now available!Command gets huge update!Order of Battle: Pacific Featured on Weekly Streaming SessionA new fight for Battle Academy!Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager is out for Mac!The definitive wargame of the Western Front is out now! War in the West gets teaser trailer and Twitch Stream!New Preview AAR for War in the West!War in the West Manual previewThe fight for Armageddon begins!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Anyone watch the Vikings on HC last night?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Anyone watch the Vikings on HC last night? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Anyone watch the Vikings on HC last night? - 3/4/2013 11:48:37 PM   
rogo727

I did and kinda liked it. I had no idea that Vikings came from Sweden. I thought just from Norway . I will have to research this more.

"I thank God that I was warring on the gridirons of the midwest and not the battlefields of Europe"
Nile Kinnick 1918-1943
Post #: 1
RE: Anyone watch the Vikings on HC last night? - 3/5/2013 1:43:11 AM   
parusski

quote:

ORIGINAL: rogo727

I did and kinda liked it. I had no idea that Vikings came from Sweden. I thought just from Norway . I will have to research this more.

Orm is a direct descendant of those evil people. I forgot about it. Will try to watch some other way.

"I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast."- W.T. Sherman

(in reply to rogo727)
Post #: 2
RE: Anyone watch the Vikings on HC last night? - 3/5/2013 2:21:55 AM   
rogo727

Vikings related to or are considered germantic. Denmark ,Sweden and Norway . Later northern France and later England . One fact that gets me is there is a Viking herritage in New Zealand !!. I wonder why Finland is not considered in the group. I never considered them Slavic people. Orm is Finland the odd man out in Scandinavia ?
quote:

ORIGINAL: parusski

quote:

Orm is a direct descendant of those evil people. I forgot about it. Will try to watch some other way.

"I thank God that I was warring on the gridirons of the midwest and not the battlefields of Europe"
Nile Kinnick 1918-1943

(in reply to parusski)
Post #: 3
RE: Anyone watch the Vikings on HC last night? - 3/5/2013 8:20:19 AM   
Punk Reaper

Orm the Viking founded a church ( kirk) near where I live.... Ormskirk England.

(in reply to rogo727)
Post #: 4
RE: Anyone watch the Vikings on HC last night? - 3/5/2013 9:38:16 AM   
wodin

I've got Viking DNA. Rimmer is from Viking most likely stemming from the ones who landed around Formby who would have been the same ones as Orm^^ I expect.

Vikings stem from Norway\Sweden and Denmark. William of Normandy was a Dane viking ancestor I believe.

< Message edited by wodin -- 3/5/2013 9:40:20 AM >

My Tactical wargame facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/Tacticalwargame

(in reply to Punk Reaper)
Post #: 5
RE: Anyone watch the Vikings on HC last night? - 3/5/2013 11:09:43 AM   
terje439

Vikings came from all of the Nordic Countries, if you want to generalise, the Swedes went East, the Norwegians West and South (they even served for the Byzantine King as his bodyguards), and the Danish went mainly to Western Europe and England where they at times ruled (Danelagen). (I said it was a generalization!!)

William the Conqueror had Vikingblood in his vains as he was a descendant of Gange-Rolf (who is either Norwegian or Danish, this is debated, but I ofc chose to believe he was Norwegian ).

More viking based trivia;
-at the end of the Napoleonic Wars, Sweden was given Norway as a prize. At this time Norwegian territories also included Iceland and Greenland. All of Norway was ruled again by Denmark in a Union (Denmark-Norway). The Swedish diplomat arriving to sign the peace treaty however forgot to include Iceland and Greenland in the treaty, and they became Danish as a result.

-contrary to popular belief, the most valuable naval asset for the Vikings was not the longboat, but rather the Knarr, which was a trading vessel.

-contrary to popular belief, the vikings valued trade and peace, and were not the crazed mushroom-high warriors depicted in Hollywood.

-Viking men were almost obsessed with their appearance, and in old temporary English texts, there are several complaints about how the viking men looked so good that they got the English women to leave their husbands to go live with the Vikings.

-The Viking-Era is said to start with the raid of the Lindisfarne-Monestary in 793 AD, and is often said to end with the failed attempt to seize power in England in 1066.

Terje (which is a rewrite of the older Tarjei, which is a rewrite of the even older Torgeir, which when split becomes Tor and Geir. Tor ofc is the Norse God amongst other assosiated with thunder, and Geir comes from the norse word Atgeir, meaning Spear)

"Hun skal torpederes!" - Birger Eriksen

("She is to be torpedoed!")

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 6
RE: Anyone watch the Vikings on HC last night? - 3/5/2013 5:40:53 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: wodin

I've got Viking DNA. Rimmer is from Viking most likely stemming from the ones who landed around Formby who would have been the same ones as Orm^^ I expect.

Vikings stem from Norway\Sweden and Denmark. William of Normandy was a Dane viking ancestor I believe.
warspite1

Yep the Normans were Vikings - Norsemen - men from the north.

England expects that every man will do his duty - Horatio Nelson 1805.

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 7
RE: Anyone watch the Vikings on HC last night? - 3/5/2013 11:45:57 PM   
rogo727

So the English are of german descent? I'm starting to,like you more. My family is a mix of every thing from African Americans to Asian Americans with a few Cherokee Indians. I am proud of my family cultural mix and I think this is typical of American culture today. And while the Saxons where of German decent so where the Normans which tells me it's no big deal. So the the Normans mixed with with Saxons to create a new bread of people who are now now called the English. Not sure about the welsh but I suspect the were breed into the mix also. One thing is for sure the Scott's and Irish were not. I've always respected the Scott's and Irish for fighting for there independence and while the scots gave up theirs for a crown in England Ireland has always resisted. While researching the Finns I've found out that they are a mix of both Slavic and some German descent which truly makes them the odd man out in Scandinavia .
quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

quote:

warspite1

Yep the Normans were Vikings - Norsemen - men from the north.

< Message edited by rogo727 -- 3/6/2013 12:08:30 AM >

Nile Kinnick 1918-1943

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 8
RE: Anyone watch the Vikings on HC last night? - 3/6/2013 12:04:29 AM   
sulla05

Rus was the name of an early Viking chieftain and where we get Russia from.

As far as the series goes I'm only about 50% pleased so far. It does show Viking life at the time, which is good. But I have never read anything in history books about Ragnar's early life.

Some claim that the Ragnar that tried to take Paris and the one that was killed in England are the same but a lot of historians don't buy into it.

Ragnar's death in England is supposed to be the reason " The Great Heathen Army " attacked England and was led by his sons in revenge.

I am waiting for the next episode though , to see what happens to " Hairy Breeches ".

Yes, the Angles and Jutes came from Denmark/northern Germany.

The Vikings tried to capture Constantinople at least twice. Harold Hadrada ( hard council, Stamford bridge ) was in the Emperor's northmen guard called the Varangarians.

< Message edited by sulla05 -- 3/6/2013 12:09:17 AM >

Windows 7 home premium 64
Intel quad core I7
6 Gb DD3
ATI 5800

Di! Ecce hora! Uxor mea me necabit!

(in reply to rogo727)
Post #: 9
RE: Anyone watch the Vikings on HC last night? - 3/6/2013 12:25:35 AM   
Joe D.

quote:

Vikings related to or are considered germantic. Denmark ,Sweden and Norway . Later northern France and later England . One fact that gets me is there is a Viking herritage in New Zealand !!. I wonder why Finland is not considered in the group ...

Their origins and language is Hungarian, although the latter has evolved considerably.

Stratford, Connecticut, U.S.A.

"The Angel of Okinawa"

Home of the Chance-Vought Corsair, F4U
The best fighter-bomber of World War II

(in reply to rogo727)
Post #: 10
RE: Anyone watch the Vikings on HC last night? - 3/6/2013 12:30:30 AM   
rogo727

Yes exactly . Their language is bits and pieces of several different ethnic groups. I've read so far the the Finnish language is the most unique . But hay when you have only 5.3 million people in your country.......what impresses me more that in 1939 with a population of 3.9 million they fought a nation with more than 180 million people a won for awhile.
quote:

ORIGINAL: Joe D.

quote:

Vikings related to or are considered germantic. Denmark ,Sweden and Norway . Later northern France and later England . One fact that gets me is there is a Viking herritage in New Zealand !!. I wonder why Finland is not considered in the group ...

Their origins and language is Hungarian, although the latter has evolved considerably.

< Message edited by rogo727 -- 3/6/2013 12:33:49 AM >

Nile Kinnick 1918-1943

(in reply to Joe D.)
Post #: 11
RE: Anyone watch the Vikings on HC last night? - 3/6/2013 1:00:25 AM   
sulla05

When you say Hungarian are you talking the Magyar language or an earlier one?

Intel quad core I7
6 Gb DD3
ATI 5800

(in reply to rogo727)
Post #: 12
RE: Anyone watch the Vikings on HC last night? - 3/6/2013 1:19:50 AM   
rogo727

Not just the Magyar but German Sweden Latavion Estonian and Russian . It is once of the most complex languages.
quote:

ORIGINAL: sulla05

Nile Kinnick 1918-1943

(in reply to sulla05)
Post #: 13
RE: Anyone watch the Vikings on HC last night? - 3/6/2013 4:17:37 AM   
Mobius

quote:

I think Rus was what the Slavs called the Vikings. As Rus meant to row or those that rowed.

In the first episode the Swedes raided east to Finland or the Baltic coast lands.

< Message edited by Mobius -- 3/6/2013 4:20:39 AM >

(in reply to sulla05)
Post #: 14
RE: Anyone watch the Vikings on HC last night? - 3/6/2013 6:40:42 AM   
warspite1

quote:

So the English are of german descent?
warspite1

The clue is in the title...Anglo-Saxon!!

England expects that every man will do his duty - Horatio Nelson 1805.

(in reply to rogo727)
Post #: 15
RE: Anyone watch the Vikings on HC last night? - 3/6/2013 7:33:49 AM   
wodin

[Sorry double post

< Message edited by wodin -- 3/6/2013 7:37:41 AM >

(in reply to Mobius)
Post #: 16
RE: Anyone watch the Vikings on HC last night? - 3/6/2013 7:37:21 AM   
wodin

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mobius

quote:

I think Rus was what the Slavs called the Vikings. As Rus meant to row or those that rowed.

In the first episode the Swedes raided east to Finland or the Baltic coast lands.

Correct..and Russia is named after them..They traveled all the way to Constantinople through Russia.

Anyway is this series similar to Spartacus..loads of gore and sex? If so I will download it;)

(in reply to Mobius)
Post #: 17
RE: Anyone watch the Vikings on HC last night? - 3/6/2013 12:45:03 PM   
Mobius

quote:

Anyway is this series similar to Spartacus..loads of gore and sex? If so I will download it;)
I don't know about sex (its the HC afterall), but already in the first episode Ragnar's brother is making advances on Ragnar's wife. So there's bound to be trouble.

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 18
RE: Anyone watch the Vikings on HC last night? - 3/6/2013 6:20:26 PM   
Joe D.

quote:

Probably Proto-Uralic.

http://geography.about.com/od/culturalgeography/a/Hungarian-And-Finnish.htm

Stratford, Connecticut, U.S.A.

"The Angel of Okinawa"

Home of the Chance-Vought Corsair, F4U
The best fighter-bomber of World War II

(in reply to sulla05)
Post #: 19
RE: Anyone watch the Vikings on HC last night? - 3/6/2013 9:53:37 PM   
sulla05

That is science for you.

In the 1970s I was taught that Finnish had no connection to any other language in Europe and they didn't know where it came from, much like the Basque language.

Intel quad core I7
6 Gb DD3
ATI 5800

(in reply to Joe D.)
Post #: 20
RE: Anyone watch the Vikings on HC last night? - 3/6/2013 11:45:17 PM   
Sarge

Watched, it was ok …… if the subject interests you BBC “blood of the Vikings” is worth a watch

http://youtu.be/uXpqgmBS6DM

(in reply to sulla05)
Post #: 21
RE: Anyone watch the Vikings on HC last night? - 3/7/2013 1:39:02 AM   
wodin

There was a really good Viking series by the same lad who does Coast..Can't remember his name now. Was a pretty good program.

(in reply to Sarge)
Post #: 22
RE: Anyone watch the Vikings on HC last night? - 3/7/2013 5:49:04 AM   
Punk Reaper

Try here..... Recommend the series.

http://youtu.be/EhYVHlEnZPU

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 23
RE: Anyone watch the Vikings on HC last night? - 3/7/2013 1:46:16 PM   
rrbill

Interesting discussion, reminds me of a personal issue.

Maternal antecedants are Ukrainian and grandfather, 3 of 4 uncles, and an aunt had fair skin, blonde to reddish blonde hair and large frames. Family often joked about Viking heritage and I guess there were enough Vikings to go around near Kiev to make that an interesting speculation.

But, guessing origins from appearances is probamatical, especially over centuries.

Agree that Finns should not be included in the Norse, Swede, Dane club. Their language (amongst other issues) sets them apart. Have always read that it has something in common with Magyar tongue and maybe someother further East. Maybe not from Indo-European, either. A lot of migrations led to enclaves rather than wide-spread cultural/ethnic groups.

Wonder about Latvians, Estonians, and Lithuanians... Norse, Finnish, or ? Anyone help here?

As far as the HC series goes, nice eye candy details, some realistic plot elements (the Earl & the Karls, etc.) but wasting time with family issues (outside of teaching the son what's up.) All in all, good show.

< Message edited by rrbill -- 3/7/2013 1:49:45 PM >

Post #: 24
RE: Anyone watch the Vikings on HC last night? - 3/7/2013 6:56:52 PM   
wodin

quote:

ORIGINAL: Punk Reaper

Try here..... Recommend the series.

http://youtu.be/EhYVHlEnZPU

Thats the one;)

Post #: 25
RE: Anyone watch the Vikings on HC last night? - 3/7/2013 7:11:55 PM   
Kronolog

At least they included one (or was there more?) Scandinavian actor in the cast. It seems as if the Skaarsgård clan of actors has managed to send a third man to Hollywood.

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 26
RE: Anyone watch the Vikings on HC last night? - 4/2/2013 12:52:35 AM   
rogo727

The 4th episode was awesome

Nile Kinnick 1918-1943

(in reply to Kronolog)
Post #: 27
RE: Anyone watch the Vikings on HC last night? - 4/3/2013 8:43:38 PM   
Mobius

Oh, And George Washington was suppose to have Viking roots. His name may have been anglicized from Vossing-son. Voss being a Norwegian fjord.

(in reply to rogo727)
Post #: 28
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Anyone watch the Vikings on HC last night? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI