Matrix Games Forums

Buzz Aldrins Space Program Manager is now available!Space Program Manager gets mini-site and Twitch SessionBuzz Aldrin: Ask Me Anything (AMA) on redditDeal of the week Fantasy Kommander: Eukarion WarsSpace Program Manager Launch Contest Announced!Battle Academy 2 is out now on iPad!A closer look at rockets in Space Program ManagerDeal of the Week - Pride of NationsA new update for Piercing Fortress EuropaNew screenshots for War in the West!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Nijmegen bridge

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command Ops Series >> Nijmegen bridge Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Nijmegen bridge - 3/3/2013 9:19:49 PM   
Ramses

We went to visit my brother-in-law today. He lives in Lent on the north bank on the river Waal, on the other side of Nijmegen that is. An opportunity to take a look at the Nijmegen bridge. Althought the forecast was sunny weather, the skies were overcast again...sigh. This is the bridge from the southern side; the dark lines to the north are the hills to the west of Arnhem. Yes they were that close!

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Ramses -- 3/3/2013 9:20:33 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Nijmegen bridge - 3/3/2013 9:24:05 PM   
Ramses

A little closer to the bridge there's a German PAK. It's in abysmal condition. A popular saying over here states that it's pointed at Arnhem for a reason....the soccer club Vitesse! (they have a bitter rivalry with the Nijmegen soccer team NEC)

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Ramses)
Post #: 2
RE: Nijmegen bridge - 3/3/2013 9:25:07 PM   
Ramses

A view from the waterline. Pretty bleak surroundings.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Ramses)
Post #: 3
RE: Nijmegen bridge - 3/3/2013 9:26:39 PM   
Ramses

A view while walking the bridge. This way you get a pretty good feeling how wide the river actually is.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Ramses)
Post #: 4
RE: Nijmegen bridge - 3/3/2013 9:28:44 PM   
Ramses

A view from halfway down the bridge on the city of Nijmegen, a pretty historical place. Even the Romans had a settlement here with the name of Noviomagus. I have close ties to this city because my wife was born there.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Ramses)
Post #: 5
RE: Nijmegen bridge - 3/3/2013 9:30:47 PM   
Ramses

A view to the west from the bridge. You can see the railway bridge and the electrical plant in the distance. That is where the 504 PIR made the famous crossing of the Waal in their rubber dinghies. The arc to the right is the span for the new railway bridge.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Ramses -- 3/3/2013 9:48:28 PM >

(in reply to Ramses)
Post #: 6
RE: Nijmegen bridge - 3/3/2013 9:33:51 PM   
Ramses

Looking south from the north bank. Don't know if these are the original steps. If so there would have been hard fighting going right over here.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Ramses)
Post #: 7
RE: Nijmegen bridge - 3/3/2013 9:41:28 PM   
Ramses

This is close to the place wheren 504 PIR made their crossing of the Waal. Actually it's a little further to the west but the road is closed to traffic because of the construction of the railway bridge. Their also used to be a monument here, but it appears they took it away temporarily. The arc is the new bridge span; the new bridge is called 'de Oversteek' which means 'the Crossing' in Dutch in remembrance of the heroics of september 20, 1944. This picture shows how far away the river actually is from the dike. Must have been hell crossing these fields in murderous fire, especially after having rowed the wide and fastflowing Waal in rubber dinghies while being shelled and shot at.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Ramses -- 3/3/2013 9:49:28 PM >

(in reply to Ramses)
Post #: 8
RE: Nijmegen bridge - 3/3/2013 9:47:05 PM   
Ramses

View from the crossing point to the bridge which is visible to the left. It's a lot further than I expected it to be.The railway bridge can alse be seen with the yellow trains on it with the city of Nijmegen in the background. The people on the dike where al coming to see what was going on near the bridge an the massive rebuilding going on here. They are going to reconstruct this whole area in order to give the river Waal more space.
Too bad time was sparse.....after this it was off to the relatives for cake, coffee and a few cold ones.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Ramses)
Post #: 9
RE: Nijmegen bridge - 3/3/2013 9:48:45 PM   
jimcarravallah

Ramses,

Thanks for the perspective.

Interesting to see the scale from a ground perspective.

Got an even older historical insight into the Dutch countryside downriver from Nijmegen while reading a biography about Vincent Van Gogh in January.

Take care,

jim

(in reply to Ramses)
Post #: 10
RE: Nijmegen bridge - 3/3/2013 10:00:14 PM   
Arjuna

Ramses,

Yes that brought back fond memories of visiting those same sights in 2010. That monument was there then.

Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com

(in reply to jimcarravallah)
Post #: 11
RE: Nijmegen bridge - 3/3/2013 11:24:24 PM   
dazkaz15

Thanks for the pics Ramses.

I last saw the bridge when I did the Nijmegen march back in 1982. I still have the medal tucked away somewhere.

100 miles in 4 days, and very sore feet

(in reply to Arjuna)
Post #: 12
RE: Nijmegen bridge - 3/4/2013 8:28:19 AM   
phoenix

Thanks Ramses. Great pics. I can't remember - is the bridge the same original bridge?

(in reply to dazkaz15)
Post #: 13
RE: Nijmegen bridge - 3/4/2013 8:58:40 PM   
Ramses

quote:

ORIGINAL: phoenix

Thanks Ramses. Great pics. I can't remember - is the bridge the same original bridge?

Ironically this bridge was actually built by the Germans. The original bridge was opened in 1936, but demolished by the Duth Army in 1940. The Germans restored it and from 1943 on it was functional again.....until now.

(in reply to phoenix)
Post #: 14
RE: Nijmegen bridge - 3/5/2013 8:01:52 AM   
phoenix

Ironic, yes. So it is the actual bridge crossed by XXX Corps.

(in reply to Ramses)
Post #: 15
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command Ops Series >> Nijmegen bridge Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI