Matrix Games Forums

New Screenshots for Pike & ShotDeal of the Week Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations WOTYCommand: Modern Air/Naval Operations WOTY is now available!Frontline : The Longest Day Announced and in Beta!Command gets Wargame of the Year EditionDeal of the Week: Pandora SeriesPandora: Eclipse of Nashira is now availableDistant Worlds Gets another updateHell is Approaching Deal of the Week Battle Academy
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Worked 1st day, next day, .exe missing. not installing

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds Series >> Tech Support >> Worked 1st day, next day, .exe missing. not installing Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Worked 1st day, next day, .exe missing. not installing - 3/2/2013 7:50:58 PM   
twickstr

I have an i7, 64bit , win7 PC.
I got the game, installed all 3 installs to get it to the newest version of the game.
Ran the auto updater. Played the game for an hour or so. (crashed)
Went to the forums, noticed there was a beta version of the update (20).
Installed that, it was fine. Played for many hours last nite.
I try to start it up this morning. wont start, and I see that the .exe to run the game is gone....
what the heck?
so... I delete it. Re-install (even run the .net cleaning stuff. and when I install Legends, and then the .16 patch with the auto updater. blam, now the .exe to run the game is gone. it wont run. at all.
I have tried to re-install this 3 times...after that. it acts like everything is installing fine.
Then when I goto run it. no .exes to run the game.

I do see that when I install the basic game. with no updates it will run fine.
I install shakturi next, it wont run. gives error
I try and install Legends on top of that, it seems to do fine.
But wont run, no matter how I try to start it. (the autorun, will take me to the fancy graphic, but wont run the game from that.) I try the quickstart. and it says no file.

Why is the install getting rid of the .exe ?

This all ran fine yesterday... and I cant get a clean install today?

Help please
Post #: 1
RE: Worked 1st day, next day, .exe missing. not installing - 3/2/2013 8:39:35 PM   
Bingeling

Do you have some overly critical security software or something? One that takes offense from the game .exe for some reason? I can't remember anything like this being reported...

My games stay installed just fine, but I have noone around to mess with my computers...

(in reply to twickstr)
Post #: 2
RE: Worked 1st day, next day, .exe missing. not installing - 3/2/2013 8:58:16 PM   
twickstr

it was just late nite. Played fine. Avast did nothing to it.. shows no activity. why would it install fine yesterday, work...? What is even more strange, why would it not install correctly now? I can play version 16 fine (ran the updater and it updated it back to version 16). But if I install 20, it takes away the .exe for the game.

I can put the .exe from .16 back into the folder, but it will show ver 16 again, not 20.

I am the only one who uses my PC. Never have virus probs...I dont do much on the net to have that problem.

(in reply to Bingeling)
Post #: 3
RE: Worked 1st day, next day, .exe missing. not installing - 3/2/2013 9:02:43 PM   
Bingeling

Ant the 0.20 actually worked once? Did you install DW in a funky spot?

If running 0.16 works fine, I would suggest to scrap the 0.20 file and download it again.

(in reply to twickstr)
Post #: 4
RE: Worked 1st day, next day, .exe missing. not installing - 3/2/2013 9:06:49 PM   
twickstr

I played on 16 for a hour or so, and it crashed (the first time i played)
I checked the forums, saw the 20-beta, and downloaded and installed it.
Played all nite, and no crash.

Next morning. no .exe for the game

Have downloaded 20 twice. Both times, it wipes the .exe file.

(in reply to Bingeling)
Post #: 5
RE: Worked 1st day, next day, .exe missing. not installing - 3/2/2013 9:19:28 PM   
Bingeling

Very strange.

If a totally different program was involved, I would make sure you don't install in a protected environment. But I doubt that is relevant for this game :)

Make sure the user running the installer has full rights to mess with the installation folders. It could almost look like it is not allowed to create files or something. Is the properties of the dw folder "archive" or something?

Try running the 20 patch as admin.

Just guessing..

(in reply to twickstr)
Post #: 6
RE: Worked 1st day, next day, .exe missing. not installing - 3/2/2013 9:32:23 PM   
twickstr

installed in standard dir. c:\matrix yadda yadda,

I always run patches as admin.

really stumped on this one.

(in reply to Bingeling)
Post #: 7
RE: Worked 1st day, next day, .exe missing. not installing - 3/2/2013 9:42:05 PM   
StarLab

I'd suspect your security software as Bingeling suggested. I've found a few legitimate .exe's stashed away in a quarantine directory in the past. But you checked that...

Sorry I bring no new ideas, but might have a short cut for you (rather than having to reinstall repeatedly): After install, copy the exe elsewhere then just copy it back in if required. (This will also tell you if other files are disappearing too.)

Hope you find a solution to this one... 'tis strange indeed.

-Larry Monte

Latest YouTube Series:
New Universe LP
Collaborative LP

(in reply to twickstr)
Post #: 8
RE: Worked 1st day, next day, .exe missing. not installing - 3/2/2013 9:51:42 PM   
twickstr

Well did 2 things:

1)Went and re-installed Avast.
2)Checked to make sure Avast was set to play nice with that dir and exe's

3)did a full re-install (with avast off)

4)and the game worked....

5)Will see what happens later (when avast going in the background).

Thanks for the hints, it helped me maybe eliminate the problem.. (will know for sure tho prolly by tomarrow)

Still not sure what it was doing, cause it was not sandboxed, and was not showing any activity for anything.

Will keep you posted.

(in reply to StarLab)
Post #: 9
RE: Worked 1st day, next day, .exe missing. not installing - 3/3/2013 2:26:20 AM   
Tanaka

Its Avast it did the same thing to me When I restore the exe it keeps putting it back in the chest when I try to launch Submitted it as false positive but no idea how to fix this without uninstalling anything!

< Message edited by Tanaka -- 3/3/2013 3:02:16 AM >

(in reply to twickstr)
Post #: 10
RE: Worked 1st day, next day, .exe missing. not installing - 3/3/2013 8:14:32 AM   
Sithuk

I experienced the same thing. Avast automatically deleted the DistantWorlds.exe when you try to run it. Add the distant worlds folder to the "global exclusions" list under the advanced settings menu. Avast will then stop scanning that folder and flagging Distant Worlds as malware.

I think the issue has arisen recently because Avast has updated itself to a new version.

(in reply to Tanaka)
Post #: 11
RE: Worked 1st day, next day, .exe missing. not installing - 3/3/2013 1:31:44 PM   
drillerman

Yes, definately Avast.
Works ok with all Distant Worlds exe's except the "beta" update.

Huh?

(in reply to Sithuk)
Post #: 12
RE: Worked 1st day, next day, .exe missing. not installing - 3/3/2013 7:47:09 PM   
Tanaka

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sithuk

I experienced the same thing. Avast automatically deleted the DistantWorlds.exe when you try to run it. Add the distant worlds folder to the "global exclusions" list under the advanced settings menu. Avast will then stop scanning that folder and flagging Distant Worlds as malware.

I think the issue has arisen recently because Avast has updated itself to a new version.

Thanks for the tip!

(in reply to Sithuk)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds Series >> Tech Support >> Worked 1st day, next day, .exe missing. not installing Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI