Matrix Games Forums

Characters of World War 1Sign of for the Pike and Shot Beta!More Games are Coming to Steam! Deal of the Week: Combat Command Return to the Moon on October 31st! Commander: The Great War iPad Wallpapers Generals of the Great WarDeal of the Week Panzer CorpsNew Strategy Titles Join the FamilyTablet Version of Qvadriga gets new patch
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Sur les traces de l'empereur / Tracking Napo (Vorsteher welcome)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: Sur les traces de l'empereur / Tracking Napo (Vorsteher welcome) Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Sur les traces de l'empereur / Tracking Napo (Vorst... - 3/4/2013 9:17:44 PM   
STEF78

quote:

ORIGINAL: loki100

agree, like the way you are concentrating on the central issues. Interesting to see that while the Axis is still dangerous in 1942 - you can take what you want - the attrition aspect becomes limiting. I've only managed the 1941 scenarios so had little intuition as to how much the loss ratio equalises as the game goes on

I haven't play against human past summer 1942, most experienced players have perhaps the answer. It seems 3 to 1 isn't enough for Inf.

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 31
RE: Sur les traces de l'empereur / Tracking Napo (Vorst... - 3/5/2013 1:41:11 PM   
rrbill

Will have to take a look at terje AARs... thanks.

(in reply to STEF78)
Post #: 32
Sur les traces de l'empereur / Tracking Napo (Vorsteher... - 3/5/2013 7:58:32 PM   
STEF78

Turn 61, 13 august 1942

Very good news, SHC was unable to re-open the pocket!

(in reply to rrbill)
Post #: 33
Sur les traces de l'empereur / Tracking Napo (Vorsteher... - 3/5/2013 8:01:48 PM   
STEF78

Time to harvest:

SHC losses are significant

And a very nice view below:

< Message edited by STEF78 -- 3/5/2013 8:02:22 PM >

(in reply to STEF78)
Post #: 34
Sur les traces de l'empereur / Tracking Napo (Vorsteher... - 3/5/2013 8:12:05 PM   
STEF78

SHC is strong if I have to attack in direction of Voronej but, as noticed on turn 60, there is no "in depth" defence between Boguchar and Vorochilovgrad.

I decided to withdraw from the northern saliant, to fill the gap with Inf and to make a breaktrough south of Boguchar and to complete the encirclement north of Vorochilovgrad. The result looks pretty good!

(in reply to STEF78)
Post #: 35
RE: Sur les traces de l'empereur / Tracking Napo (Vorst... - 3/5/2013 11:53:59 PM   
molchomor

quote:

ORIGINAL: rrbill

Will have to take a look at terje AARs... thanks.

Yeah, some things that Terje is doing (or at least I think so) that is worth noticing:

1) Put 10+ construction battalions in each of the Army HQs (A, B, ..) and place them on green railroad crossings close to the front. The battalions will spread out next turn and do alot of RR repairs where you need it the most. You have little need for fortifications in '42 anyway.

2) If you have alot of extra APs, free the AA regiments in Germany.

3) In winter, assign alot of tank units to your Mountain divisions, they will be protected from the cold as well and the division will be a monster and a good firebrigade.

4) Very important: Each turn, scan the *whole* front and wherever possible do (combined if needed) attacks to a) build/keep morale b) deny morale/guard status to the enemy, c) prevent SHC to get entrenched d) get the "snowball" rolling while you have the chance, those gaps from retreating units need to be plugged with divisisions the SHC really need elsewhere (where you are attacking) and if SHC tries to occupy the hex again with a weak division just attack that one the next turn etc.

< Message edited by molchomor -- 3/5/2013 11:57:30 PM >

(in reply to rrbill)
Post #: 36
RE: Sur les traces de l'empereur / Tracking Napo (Vorst... - 3/6/2013 2:46:22 AM   
Disgruntled Veteran

quote:

2) If you have alot of extra APs, free the AA regiments in Germany.

I saw this in the manual, but couldn't figure out how to do it. I find the AA in the Commander's screen, but am unsure how to move it away from the city.

(in reply to molchomor)
Post #: 37
RE: Sur les traces de l'empereur / Tracking Napo (Vorst... - 3/6/2013 7:47:38 AM   
loki100

quote:

ORIGINAL: STEF78

SHC is strong if I have to attack in direction of Voronej but, as noticed on turn 60, there is no "in depth" defence between Boguchar and Vorochilovgrad.

I decided to withdraw from the northern saliant, to fill the gap with Inf and to make a breaktrough south of Boguchar and to complete the encirclement north of Vorochilovgrad. The result looks pretty good!

this is a question as much as a comment, but is there not a danger that you are going to end up attacking where it is 'easy' (ie where your opponent wants you to) not where you need to.

Or are the Soviets on this sector now weak enough that it is more a matter of looking for the options that cause the most damage?

(in reply to STEF78)
Post #: 38
Sur les traces de l'empereur / Tracking Napo (Vorsteher... - 3/6/2013 8:37:18 PM   
STEF78

quote:

quote:

this is a question as much as a comment, but is there not a danger that you are going to end up attacking where it is 'easy' (ie where your opponent wants you to) not where you need to.

Or are the Soviets on this sector now weak enough that it is more a matter of looking for the options that cause the most damage?

SHC is strong between Boguchar an Voronej, near Rostov and between south Ilmen to Ladoga. SHC is weak in the other sectors of the front. I haven't shown the picture but I've made attacks around Orel and Kursk, only with Inf, just to get morale and destroy fortification.

From my experience the key for GHC is initiative and momentum, and I have it in this game.

Through encirclement, I destroyed during this turn 260K men, that's 5% of his army. He cannot afford such losses several time in the summer.

< Message edited by STEF78 -- 3/6/2013 8:58:33 PM >

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 39
Sur les traces de l'empereur / Tracking Napo (Vorsteher... - 3/6/2013 10:25:44 PM   
STEF78

My opponent has given up / resigned.

He was a reliable player so, even if I'm disappointed, thanks to him.

He says he has trouble with the morale of his units (70% have a morale close to 40) and thinks that it's because of the 1.06.27.

It is the end of this AAR...

I'm now with 3 wins, 1 ongoing wirh the GHC. But this last game, against Schascha, now end january 1942 will be much harder.

May be I will do an AAR about this game when mud is over.

Hope you enjoy reading this too short AAR

GHC 4-0-2
SHC 3-0-1

(in reply to STEF78)
Post #: 40
RE: Sur les traces de l'empereur / Tracking Napo (Vorst... - 3/8/2013 9:39:15 AM   
cpt flam

Merci

(in reply to STEF78)
Post #: 41
RE: Sur les traces de l'empereur / Tracking Napo (Vorst... - 3/8/2013 9:50:02 AM   
schascha

Good game

I'm on the list of yours next victims

(in reply to cpt flam)
Post #: 42
RE: Sur les traces de l'empereur / Tracking Napo (Vorst... - 3/8/2013 10:06:02 AM   
terje439

quote:

From my experience the key for GHC is initiative and momentum, and I have it in this game.

Through encirclement, I destroyed during this turn 260K men, that's 5% of his army. He cannot afford such losses several time in the summer.

I have to agree, if you have momentum and the initiative, the Axis can push on. As long as the USSR cannot dig in deeply, he will constantly have to watch for potential pockets being formed, and this in turn forces him to pull back, leaving him in the open where he is again in danger of getting enciicled.
One thing I learned eventually, was that the Axis should not be afraid to lose AFVs. You get new and better ones anyway, and the ones in your pool are a waste in the end.

I think that is the way to go, keep encircling units. This leads to two things. The USSR will lose AP, and they will lose equipment. Even the USSR cannot afford that in the long run. Also keep in mind that after the initial winter, the Axis can do this during the winter time as well.

I did. Hope you write a new one.

Terje

Yeay, back in the computer age!

(in reply to STEF78)
Post #: 43
RE: Sur les traces de l'empereur / Tracking Napo (Vorst... - 3/8/2013 11:08:06 AM   
loki100

really enjoyable AAR ... hope to follow your next one.

I think you were right to worry about keeping up momentum, rather than worry about the cost of that momentum. I've mainly been playing the Soviet side and so often just want to be 'left alone' for a couple of turns, so can appreciate how disruptive it is to constantly have to re-align (& the depressing sight of all those abandoned fortifications)

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 44
RE: Sur les traces de l'empereur / Tracking Napo (Vorst... - 3/8/2013 3:29:24 PM   
STEF78

quote:

ORIGINAL: cpt flam

Merci

I will take a close look at your AAR, on my opniion, your opponent is too passive, if I compare to my latest SHC.

(in reply to cpt flam)
Post #: 45
RE: Sur les traces de l'empereur / Tracking Napo (Vorst... - 3/8/2013 3:31:59 PM   
STEF78

quote:

ORIGINAL: schascha

Good game

I'm on the list of yours next victims

Next victim... I would like it, but it's clearly not sure. May be I will be able to eat 2 cavalry divs this turn....

< Message edited by STEF78 -- 3/8/2013 3:38:59 PM >

(in reply to schascha)
Post #: 46
RE: Sur les traces de l'empereur / Tracking Napo (Vorst... - 3/8/2013 3:35:19 PM   
STEF78

quote:

ORIGINAL: terje439

quote:

I have to agree, if you have momentum and the initiative, the Axis can push on. As long as the USSR cannot dig in deeply, he will constantly have to watch for potential pockets being formed, and this in turn forces him to pull back, leaving him in the open where he is again in danger of getting enciicled.
One thing I learned eventually, was that the Axis should not be afraid to lose AFVs. You get new and better ones anyway, and the ones in your pool are a waste in the end.

I think that is the way to go, keep encircling units. This leads to two things. The USSR will lose AP, and they will lose equipment. Even the USSR cannot afford that in the long run. Also keep in mind that after the initial winter, the Axis can do this during the winter time as well.

I did. Hope you write a new one.

Terje

Clever advise
You should change your signature. You're not an incompetent wargamer-commander anymore (and I liked your first AAR)

< Message edited by STEF78 -- 3/8/2013 3:37:26 PM >

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 47
RE: Sur les traces de l'empereur / Tracking Napo (Vorst... - 3/8/2013 3:43:07 PM   
STEF78

quote:

really enjoyable AAR ... hope to follow your next one.

We play 1 to 3 turns a week with chascha, so may be end April

quote:

I think you were right to worry about keeping up momentum, rather than worry about the cost of that momentum. I've mainly been playing the Soviet side and so often just want to be 'left alone' for a couple of turns, so can appreciate how disruptive it is to constantly have to re-align (& the depressing sight of all those abandoned fortifications)

Better to lose fortification than units...

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 48
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: Sur les traces de l'empereur / Tracking Napo (Vorsteher welcome) Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI