Matrix Games Forums

Deal of the Week: Command Ops goes half price!New Fronts are opening up for Commander: The Great WarCharacters of World War 1Sign of for the Pike and Shot Beta!More Games are Coming to Steam! Return to the Moon on October 31st! Commander: The Great War iPad Wallpapers Generals of the Great WarDeal of the Week Panzer CorpsNew Strategy Titles Join the Family
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Browser version of Desktop game, would you?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Browser version of Desktop game, would you? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Browser version of Desktop game, would you? - 3/1/2013 2:24:08 PM   
junk2drive

Would you be more inclined to buy a desktop installed game if you could also play it in a browser?

With the restrictions on most company owned desktops, laptops, tablets, etc, what if you could play your game or turn in a browser as well as at home on your desktop?

I recently bought in to an alpha game, Fractured Empire. The demo runs in a browser so you don't have to install anything. That got me to thinking about this subject.

If google chromebooks make a mark with businesses, you can't install your games on it.
Post #: 1
RE: Browser version of Desktop game, would you? - 3/1/2013 7:32:17 PM   
TonyE

Only being available on the desktop would not stop me from buying a game but having it also available via browser would enhance my gaming experience, especially if it has responsive design traits for use on smaller screens like tablets and smartphones.

I'd rather not lose the ability to play offline though so there is certainly a tradeoff there (more man-hours for a dual online/offline game or accepting only online play).

Sincerely,
Tony Eischens
Harpoon (HC, HCE, HUCE, Classic) programmer
HarpGamer.com Co-Owner

(in reply to junk2drive)
Post #: 2
RE: Browser version of Desktop game, would you? - 3/2/2013 1:16:58 AM   
Joe 98

My issue is that the internnt is not fast enough to considr such a thing.

(in reply to TonyE)
Post #: 3
RE: Browser version of Desktop game, would you? - 3/2/2013 1:27:42 AM   
PEWPEW

I think it'd be really nice to be able to stream and play some lighter titles. I think one of the big things this allows is the use of free to play days. If Matrix games can hold free days like Valve does with Steam, that'd be great for the community.

(in reply to TonyE)
Post #: 4
RE: Browser version of Desktop game, would you? - 3/2/2013 6:32:07 AM   
TonyE

quote:

ORIGINAL: Joe 98

What makes you think that you would need a fast Internet connection? The game could do the vast majority of its calculations within your own browser. Art only need be transferred once, same for database and game mechanics. Only your chosen scenario and assumedly your saved games would have to travel back and forth to the server on a regular (but still rare) basis.

Sincerely,
Tony Eischens
HarpGamer.com Co-Owner

(in reply to Joe 98)
Post #: 5
RE: Browser version of Desktop game, would you? - 3/2/2013 6:37:27 AM   
TonyE

This might be a good indicator that much is possible (http://glimr.rubyforge.org/cake/missile_fleet.html). There are many other creations that are more Internet intensive that would not have to be. I've been playing with Cesium and hosting the map tiles locally on the device instead of streaming them over the internet. With it I have a beautiful globe in a browser including multi-resolution surface texture without transferring any information over the Internet. The following site, home of Cesium does however work best with a decent pipe http://cesium.agi.com/

Sincerely,
Tony Eischens
HarpGamer.com Co-Owner

(in reply to TonyE)
Post #: 6
RE: Browser version of Desktop game, would you? - 3/2/2013 3:31:53 PM   
junk2drive

I was thinking of turn based games where the internet speed or graphics shouldn't be an issue.

For example, Slitherine Battle Academy can be played a turn at home on a Mac, then a turn on a iPad on the commute to work, then a turn on the work PC on a break. But that requires that the game be installed on the work PC. Not an issue if a turn could be played in a browser.

My workplace has a PC in the break room that is out of the network, for employees to use for personal activity.

Even a solo game could have save files on a server that would allow you to play a turn or a battle as long as you have internet.

(in reply to TonyE)
Post #: 7
RE: Browser version of Desktop game, would you? - 3/8/2013 3:22:10 AM   
Boss

I play a browser based war game it is quite fun, tons of strategy involved as well. It's called Reign.

Realized it has little to do with this topic, my bad.

< Message edited by Boss -- 3/8/2013 4:42:17 AM >

(in reply to junk2drive)
Post #: 8
RE: Browser version of Desktop game, would you? - 3/19/2013 3:33:48 PM   
junk2drive

Here is a kickstarter game like Battle Isle. It offers windows mac and Linux plus MP with a browser plug in.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/kingartgames/battle-worlds-kronos-turn-based-strategy-revisited

(in reply to Boss)
Post #: 9
RE: Browser version of Desktop game, would you? - 3/20/2013 8:46:51 AM   
Rtwfreak

quote:

You don't need fast if the games are turn based.

(in reply to Joe 98)
Post #: 10
RE: Browser version of Desktop game, would you? - 3/20/2013 1:58:25 PM   
Karri

quote:

Your internet? Because mine definitely is. And the same is true for most people...

(in reply to Joe 98)
Post #: 11
RE: Browser version of Desktop game, would you? - 3/20/2013 6:12:13 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: junk2drive

Would you be more inclined to buy a desktop installed game if you could also play it in a browser?

Yes. Absolutely. For the very reasons you describe. I would buy WiTP:AE all over again if I could play it from a browser and keep my PBEM games running whilest I was out and about.

(in reply to junk2drive)
Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Browser version of Desktop game, would you? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI