Matrix Games Forums

New Screenshots for Pike & ShotDeal of the Week Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations WOTYCommand: Modern Air/Naval Operations WOTY is now available!Frontline : The Longest Day Announced and in Beta!Command gets Wargame of the Year EditionDeal of the Week: Pandora SeriesPandora: Eclipse of Nashira is now availableDistant Worlds Gets another updateHell is Approaching Deal of the Week Battle Academy
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Units Exchanging Postion

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Time of Fury >> Units Exchanging Postion Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Units Exchanging Postion - 3/1/2013 8:25:32 AM   
Rasputitsa

The Shift+click option, which allows 2 units to exchange position, can be used when it is not that nation's turn. For example, the Shift+click can be used to make the exchange move for Italian, or other allied units, during the German turn. Even when a nation has had it's turn, units can still be exchanged later, during a following allied nation's turn, provided they have APs available.

I don't think it's a problem, as one of the limitations of the game is that nation's are moved in individual turns, rather than together as factions, but useful to know that even if the game turn has moved on, there is still an opportunity to make the exchange move.

This happens in ver. 1.03 beta v3 and 1.04 beta.

< Message edited by Rasputitsa -- 3/1/2013 10:06:45 AM >

"We have to go from where we are, not from where we would like to be" - me
Post #: 1
RE: Units Exchanging Postion - 3/1/2013 12:39:57 PM   
Swedewolf

Good to know but another issue about this. When having a big strong pz korp die because of a minor nation unit blocking the retreat path. IRL the retreating pz would crush the small unit behind it or just pass thrue. Fun when it happens to the enemy but to be frank not so much when it happens to a pz korps, especially with low damage.

(in reply to Rasputitsa)
Post #: 2
RE: Units Exchanging Postion - 3/1/2013 3:29:00 PM   
Rasputitsa

quote:

ORIGINAL: Swedewolf
Good to know but another issue about this. When having a big strong pz korp die because of a minor nation unit blocking the retreat path. IRL the retreating pz would crush the small unit behind it or just pass thrue. Fun when it happens to the enemy but to be frank not so much when it happens to a pz korps, especially with low damage.

It would be good if we could play other nation's units during the major nation turn, even if it is only to dis-band minor ally units (back into the deployment box) to get them out of the way. If the Shift+click works during another nation's turn, perhaps a disband unit 'hot key' control could be made to work in the same way.

You would get the opportunity to move minor allies out of the way, but with the penalty of having to redeploy them again on a following turn.

< Message edited by Rasputitsa -- 3/1/2013 3:43:29 PM >

(in reply to Swedewolf)
Post #: 3
Fascinating - 3/2/2013 3:52:15 PM   
Omnius

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rasputitsa

The Shift+click option, which allows 2 units to exchange position, can be used when it is not that nation's turn. For example, the Shift+click can be used to make the exchange move for Italian, or other allied units, during the German turn. Even when a nation has had it's turn, units can still be exchanged later, during a following allied nation's turn, provided they have APs available.

I don't think it's a problem, as one of the limitations of the game is that nation's are moved in individual turns, rather than together as factions, but useful to know that even if the game turn has moved on, there is still an opportunity to make the exchange move.

Rasputitsa,
That's interesting to know. I could have sworn I tried that trick out in the first 1.03 beta but it didn't work. When the official 1.04 comes out I'll give that a try. It sure would be helpful for getting minor country units out of the way of major power units. Hopefully doomtrader will teach the AI how to use this feature, it really does a bad job of getting units from multiple countries mixed up and bunched up.
Omnius

(in reply to Rasputitsa)
Post #: 4
RE: Fascinating - 3/3/2013 4:50:24 PM   
Rasputitsa

quote:

ORIGINAL: Omnius

quote:

Rasputitsa,
That's interesting to know. I could have sworn I tried that trick out in the first 1.03 beta but it didn't work. When the official 1.04 comes out I'll give that a try. It sure would be helpful for getting minor country units out of the way of major power units. Hopefully doomtrader will teach the AI how to use this feature, it really does a bad job of getting units from multiple countries mixed up and bunched up.
Omnius

Exchange only works with units of the same nation, so you are exchanging (during a German, or Italian turn) a Romanian unit for another Romanian unit and probably still blocking, but it does show the possibility getting to do something with a nation's units during another nations turn, even if it's only being able to disband the minor nation unit (maybe back to the deployment pool), with a hot-key control, to get it out of the way, whilst you then continue to position the major nations units.

< Message edited by Rasputitsa -- 3/3/2013 4:52:49 PM >

(in reply to Omnius)
Post #: 5
Limited Utility - 3/4/2013 5:45:25 PM   
Omnius

quote:

Exchange only works with units of the same nation, so you are exchanging (during a German, or Italian turn) a Romanian unit for another Romanian unit and probably still blocking, but it does show the possibility getting to do something with a nation's units during another nations turn, even if it's only being able to disband the minor nation unit (maybe back to the deployment pool), with a hot-key control, to get it out of the way, whilst you then continue to position the major nations units.

Rasputitsa,
I did manage to switch positions for some Italian and Romanian units while in the German turn. Interesting but I'm not seeing the utility of swapping units from the same "allied" country during another country's turn. It would be far more useful if we could swap the positions of units from two different allied countries to stop one unit from blocking the path of another that unfortunately moves before the other blocking one does. Since it would zero out the AP's of the unit from another country that unit wouldn't be able to be moved twice in one turn. It would be even better if we could do attacks with units from different countries for a better combined attack, like so many other games allow.
Omnius

(in reply to Rasputitsa)
Post #: 6
RE: Limited Utility - 3/4/2013 8:24:46 PM   
Rasputitsa

quote:

ORIGINAL: Omnius
quote:

Rasputitsa,
I did manage to switch positions for some Italian and Romanian units while in the German turn. Interesting but I'm not seeing the utility of swapping units from the same "allied" country during another country's turn. It would be far more useful if we could swap the positions of units from two different allied countries to stop one unit from blocking the path of another that unfortunately moves before the other blocking one does. Since it would zero out the AP's of the unit from another country that unit wouldn't be able to be moved twice in one turn. It would be even better if we could do attacks with units from different countries for a better combined attack, like so many other games allow.
Omnius

The 'utility' is that if the exchange feature can work during the turn of another country, maybe we can get more things to work across other country turns and make the game more flexible. We have already been told that the game system will not permit moving of different countries together, but if we could get hot-key features, similar to the exchange working, that would help.

If you could disband a blocking minor ally unit, during the major country turn, it would at least allow you to get them out of the way for more important actions to take place.

(in reply to Omnius)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Time of Fury >> Units Exchanging Postion Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI