Card play question

The development team behind the award-winning games Decisive Campaigns: From Warsaw To Paris and Advanced Tactics is back with a new and improved game engine that focuses on the decisive year and theater of World War II! Decisive Campaigns: Case Blue simulates the German drive to Stalingrad and into the Caucasus of the summer of 1942, as well as its May preludes (2nd Kharkov offensive, Operation Trappenjagd) and also the Soviet winter counter-offensive (Operation Uranus) that ended with the encirclement of 6th Army in Stalingrad and the destruction of the axis minor armies. With many improvements including the PBEM++ system, this is a release to watch for wargamers!

Moderator: Vic

Numdydar

Card play question

Post by Numdydar »

I played all of WC1 and loved it. So I got Case Blue and am trying it out.

I plyed most of WC1 without using the cards. I find I am doing the same thing with WC2 as well. While I like the concept, 90% of the cards seem totally usless, increase APs (when I played it the units got 31 more AP. Wow, they can more one more hex, yawn), improve recon for a unit, etc. The cards just seem to me as somrthing nice, but can play just fine without them.

So I was hopng the nice people here could help me understand where I am going wrong [:)]
TigerTC

RE: Card play question

Post by TigerTC »

I haven't played this game.

It's on my list to get when I get home.

But the thought of "cards" sounds too gamey to me, and not at all realistic.
Toby42

Post by Toby42 »

Most of the time I forget completely about the "Cards"!!
Tony
Jay Doubleyou

Post by Jay Doubleyou »

You should use the cards to obtain a tactical advantage.
That extra hex or attack power might just give you the edge in a battle, for instance with extra movement you might close an encirclement.
Or with the extra attack power you might break through a defenseline.

For defensive units you might reinforce an exposed unit with extra defense. Believe that works ;)
LiquidSky

Post by LiquidSky »

The cards are not like what card driven games use. In fact it is somewhat unfortunate that the word card is even used. Really, what they represent is decisions made at a higher level. You get leader points which you spend on these 'cards' which essentially limits their use to once every couple of turns for the more expensive ones. As such is not 'gamey' and probably far more realistic then a game that doesn't represent the higher commands ability to command.

Examples of decisions you can make using the cards:

Increase movement/attack/defence/morale/experience etc.....some rarer decisions can only be made by certain generals will combine two..like attack and speed.

While you could play without every using them, once you play enough games, you will recognize when you just need a little more oomph... And that's when the cards really shine.
“My logisticians are a humorless lot … they know if my campaign fails, they are the first ones I will slay.” – Alexander the Great
Alchenar

Post by Alchenar »

30 extra AP might just seem like an extra hex, but:

a) There are enough times for that extra hex to be what you need to complete an encirclement; and

b) More AP means more fighting time. Even the basic speed card can make a real difference if you need to push a unit back to make your advance by virtue of the fact that you've mitigated against the extra cost of fighting into each hex.
TigerTC

Post by TigerTC »

ORIGINAL: LiquidSky

The cards are not like what card driven games use. In fact it is somewhat unfortunate that the word card is even used. Really, what they represent is decisions made at a higher level. You get leader points which you spend on these 'cards' which essentially limits their use to once every couple of turns for the more expensive ones. As such is not 'gamey' and probably far more realistic then a game that doesn't represent the higher commands ability to command.

Examples of decisions you can make using the cards:

Increase movement/attack/defence/morale/experience etc.....some rarer decisions can only be made by certain generals will combine two..like attack and speed.

While you could play without every using them, once you play enough games, you will recognize when you just need a little more oomph... And that's when the cards really shine.

Thanks. That helps some.
Numdydar

Post by Numdydar »

Thanks everyone. So it looks like the cards should not be used every turn but more in specific situations. So card play is typically on a once or twice basis over the course of several turns of play versus every turn. Depending on the scenerio size of course [:)]
BK6583

Post by BK6583 »

I can't imagine playing as the Germans without these cards. The Speed card itself is worth its weight in gold - it's how you create encirclements. Play a speed card on a panzer division and you will certainly be able to advance more than one extra hex - trust me. The Increase Morale card is great over time for increasing the morale of those shaky Hungarian, Italian, and Rumanian units. The Freedom of Action card (I think only Manstein and one other general have it) played on a panzer corps gives a speed bonus to every division in that corps - very powerful - 3 panzer divisions are able to attack multiple times with this card - great for wiping out several Russian infantry divisions in clear terrain in one turn! If you believe a Russian counterattack may hit your forces, the Defnse or Entench cards are very helpful. Play the OKH 'make a unit perform better' card on a corps, and play the same card from an Army HQ on that same corps and you can increase the effectiveness of a corps commander by 10-15 percentage points. Lastly of course you can play the replacement cards to get extra infantry, tanks, and fighters to supplement the anemic amount of replacements you get each turn as the Germans. I hope you get the point now about how invaluable these cards are.
demyansk

Post by demyansk »

Can the cards be given to the AI to allow it to utilize them such as having a higher staff and then your not incontrol of all aspects. I like that at times where the computer tells you what to do or have

Return to “Decisive Campaigns: Case Blue”