Matrix Games Forums

War in the West gets its first update!Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm version 2.08 is now available!Command gets huge update!Order of Battle: Pacific Featured on Weekly Streaming SessionA new fight for Battle Academy!Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager is out for Mac!The definitive wargame of the Western Front is out now! War in the West gets teaser trailer and Twitch Stream!New Preview AAR for War in the West!War in the West Manual preview
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Kombrig mod

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series >> Mods and Scenarios >> RE: Kombrig mod Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Kombrig mod - 3/17/2013 9:22:32 PM   
Madlok

No readiness loss when unit changes HQ. This allows player to change HQ anytime. For example to closer HQ, or to prevent penalty for mixed HQ attack. He can even switch HQ before every attack and avoid staff limit!

Mój blog o strategiach po polsku (not English) https://strategiusz.wordpress.com

(in reply to ironduke1955)
Post #: 31
RE: Kombrig mod - 3/17/2013 9:37:19 PM   
ironduke1955

There is a small readiness drop when transfering units quite accurate I feel. I am not sure why a transfer in command would have such a massive effect on combat readiness? We now have a officer system that also reflect a change in command. Also in this mod accruing combat readiness is almost 3 times slower to reflect the time between the forming of a new units/the recovery of combat damaged units and there optimum combat readiness again I think this is a vast improvement.

< Message edited by ironduke1955 -- 3/17/2013 9:43:21 PM >

(in reply to Madlok)
Post #: 32
RE: Kombrig mod - 3/18/2013 8:22:35 AM   
kombrig

quote:

No readiness loss when unit changes HQ. This allows player to change HQ anytime. For example to closer HQ, or to prevent penalty for mixed HQ attack. He can even switch HQ before every attack and avoid staff limit!

I guess a loss of readiness when changing HQ would be indeed appropriate. But I would make it only about minus 5 readiness points.

Post #: 33
RE: Kombrig mod - 3/18/2013 8:31:04 AM   
kombrig

quote:

From our test mod game. Too many units on the field, too little staff limits for commanders. It force player to make many HQ very close to each other (many HQ on small area). I think it adds nonsensical micromanagment.

The solution is to rise the commanders staff limit. I haven't checked if this can be done by the editor. But it would be nice to have this option.

(in reply to kombrig)
Post #: 34
RE: Kombrig mod - 3/18/2013 8:42:23 AM   
kombrig

I myself feel too that this mod has much more the feel of for example the Soviet-Axis front than the "regular" ATG.

The war actually started with a massive strategic bombers attack on my capital which I failed to repulse although I had made some preparations.

I have used the strategic transfer to reinforce different fronts from my strategic reserve (which I created on the base of the rifles in my capital in the beginning of my turn).

Though one problem I see is the guerillas. Players (this includes me) tend to use them as a sneak force, but I intended them to be mass partisan movement in the territory conquered by the enemy. In my opinion somekind of block is needed against the use of them in the enemy home territory.

(in reply to kombrig)
Post #: 35
RE: Kombrig mod - 3/18/2013 6:54:50 PM   
kombrig

quote:

The solution is to rise the commanders staff limit. I haven't checked if this can be done by the editor. But it would be nice to have this option.

This can be actually done. Editor->Stringlists->officers algorithm->stack value. But I'm not sure if changing this value affects also some other feature...

(in reply to kombrig)
Post #: 36
RE: Kombrig mod - 3/19/2013 7:36:39 PM   
Jeffrey H.

quote:

ORIGINAL: kombrig

quote:

This can be actually done. Editor->Stringlists->officers algorithm->stack value. But I'm not sure if changing this value affects also some other feature...

?? I'm confusing Staff and Stack ??

History began July 4th, 1776. Anything before that was a mistake.

Ron Swanson

(in reply to kombrig)
Post #: 37
RE: Kombrig mod - 3/19/2013 9:33:37 PM   
kombrig

It's actually called "stack" in the algorithm but it affects staff.

(in reply to Jeffrey H.)
Post #: 38
RE: Kombrig mod - 3/20/2013 1:57:24 PM   
Madlok

I don't know is it a bug from mod or stock game.
I can't make any HQ. I have more than 5 PP for HQ without leader, but less than 67.

< Message edited by Madlok -- 3/20/2013 1:58:03 PM >

Mój blog o strategiach po polsku (not English) https://strategiusz.wordpress.com

(in reply to kombrig)
Post #: 39
RE: Kombrig mod - 3/20/2013 3:10:12 PM   
kombrig

I haven't touched this. I believe I myself have encountered similar situation also in the stock game.

(in reply to Madlok)
Post #: 40
RE: Kombrig mod - 3/31/2013 10:24:34 AM   
kombrig

My thoughts after the test game:

1) In overall in my opinion ther was much more Axis/Soviet front feel than in the stock version. The troop density was much higher. One was able to afford building a balanced combined arms army and one was able to operate it.

2) The cavalry has now its historical role: it can be used either to increase recon, to cover rear areas against guerillas or to support tanks during advance. But it's useless to build large cavalry armies because they are expenisve and the combat stats are the same as infantry.

3) The mod represents the Blitzkrieg more than the stock version. Suprise can be achieved more easily now. If you achieve a breaktrough the enemy can not simply to fly all of his production against you and pretty much stop your advance into a stalemate. It is actually useful now to create reserves which can be strategically transfered.

4) Political points cost is maybe too low. The research was a bit too fast. Currently the cost of PPs is 200, in the original version it was 500 (if I remebember correctly). Maybe 300 or even 350 would be optimal?

5) Supply cost was maybe also too low. It is currently 1 and one city was able to supply the whole of my army. I am considering to rise it twice and the cost would be 2 then.

6) The recon points for halftracks and especially jeeps and armored cars are probably too low. Especially the jeeps and armored cars should more represent dedicated recon units.

7) The guerillas. Should we accept that guerillas can freely operate on enemy home territory?

8) The amount of staff which the officers can command at the beginning should be doubled (it should be around 100 staff).

9) The penalty for changing unit's HQ should be at least 5 readiness points.

10) The cost of trains is probably too low. It makes strategic transfer too easy.

Some other thoughts concerning the stock version of the game:

1) I don't see the reason why air units should spend in combat twice the less oil in
defense when compared to attacking. If they are defending they have to make maneuvers too.

2) I would like to implement Iron's idea that the assault guns are more effective against infantry and tank destroyers more effective against armour.

I consider giving the assault guns the attack/defense power which equals medium tank values against infantry and light tanks values against armour. Assault guns favourite target is infantry.

Tank destroyers would get the attack/defense power which equals medium tank values against armour and light tank values against infantry. TDs favourite target is armour.

In other ways the assault guns and tank destroyers would be similar to medium tank except they are a bit cheaper to produce (also less raw is needed).

3) The paratroopers need also level II-IV which combat values should equal the corresponding rifle level. Plus the paras should have a bit higher morale and experience when produced (but they are more expensive to produce).

4) In order to boost up the army building phase I would beef up the garrisons at the beginning of the game: every one of them should have 50 infantry, 5 SMGs, 5 MGs, 4 mortars, 3 bazookas.

Post #: 41
RE: Kombrig mod - 3/31/2013 10:38:16 AM   
ernieschwitz

quote:

ORIGINAL: kombrig

I haven't touched this. I believe I myself have encountered similar situation also in the stock game.

Should report it to Vic then, it may be a stock bug.

(in reply to kombrig)
Post #: 42
RE: Kombrig mod - 4/6/2013 12:54:29 PM   
kombrig

After a playtest the mod has developed into a version, which is described below. Completeley new additions/concepts when compared to the previous version are marked in red. I tried to follow most of the advices given by playtesters.

The current version of the mod contains the following changes when compared to the stock version:

1) New readiness rules

The readiness changes should decrease the effects of the „flying production“ phenomena and force the players to plan more ahead (to create reserves). In the stock version it was very easy to fly your production into the threatened sector and to send it right there into the battle. Basically units were formed instantly. The new readiness rules should more represent also the period when unit is formed.

The changes:

-Readiness penalty when transfering SFTs between units under the same HQ - minus 80 points. This means that if production arrives into HQ and you transfer it into a unit, then the production looses minus 80 readiness. In the stock version it was only minus 25 readiness points which meant that the arriving production was pretty much combat ready.

-Readiness penalty when transfering SFTs between different HQs - minus 90 points.

-Readiness penalty when assigning a unit to another HQ is now only minus five readiness points. [I know that it can be disputed that it is not very realistic to have this kind of readiness penalty at all but I felt that this is needed to hinder the gamey tactics which allow to escape the staff limit penalty and different HQ attack penalty].

-Readiness penalty for strategic transfers is now only minus 20 readiness points.

All this means that players can still reinforce their front line units directly from a HQ but if they do it too much, then the readiness of the reinforced unit will drop critically. Of course if the sector is without major action, one may risk to reinforce frontline units heavily in this way but it will not work if you want to go offensive next turn or are facing enemy offensive.

If a unit need strong reinforcements, it is wise to pull it back and then reinforce it. After a couple of turns it is ready to return the frontline.

Also player can choose to start to reform reserve units. This means that such units will have at first 20 readiness. Reserve units can be moved also by strategic transfer without losing too much readiness.

2) Research

-Research cost has been decreased for level III and IV (for some items also for level I and II).

-In order to be able to proceed to level III or IV a major research item must be researched. There are four different major research items: for infantry, armour, aircraft and artillery.

For example a major research item called „Level III Infantry Research“ is a prerequisite for researching Rifle III, MG III, Bazooka III or Mortar III. The prerequisites for „Level III Infantry Research“ are Rifle II and MG II. The other major research items work in the same way. For example „Level III Armour Research“ is the prerequisite for researching Light Tank III, Medium Tank III, Heavy Tank III, Assault Gun III, Tank Destroyer III, Halftrack III. The prerequisites for „Level III Armour Research“ are Heavy Tank I and Medium Tank II.

-There are some other minor tweaks in the research tree, for example the prerequisite for V1 rocket is „Level III Aircraft Research“ etc. All these tweaks can be easily understood if one takes a look at the research tree.

3) City production points

The amount of city production points is now 12 000 for city and 28 000 for capitol. In the stock version it was 8000 for city and 20000 for capitol. [In the playtest game it was 16000 for city and 35000 for capitol but I decided to decrease them a bit.]

4) Political point cost

The cost in production points has been lowered. In the stock version it was 500 production points, now it is 200. [It was 200 also in the test game and some felt that the research was maybe too fast. However I decided to leave it on 200 because city production points are now lowered when comapred to the test game.]

5) Supply cost

The supply cost is now 2 production points. In the stock version it was 3. In the testgame it was 1 but this was obviously too low.

6) Raw cost

The raw costs when producing items are usually lowered about 50%.

7) Oil consuming

The consuming of oil when moving or when in battle is usually lowered about 50%

8) Factories and Research Centres

-It is possible to build (by Engineers) Research Centres which generate political points each turn. The cost of a centre in political points is such that after three turns a centre has produced more PPs than you expended when creating it.

-Factories and Research Centres have now three levels (I-III). After building a Level I factory/centre you can upgrade it to the next level. The higher level – the more production points and structural points a factory or centre will have. Factories start with 6000 production points, level II has 8000 and level III has 10000. Research centres have a bit less production points.

-Factories and research centres can be now built only on suburban hexes. The random game generator creates a random number of suburban hexes next to each city. So now all the production is concentrated in and next to cities. You can not build factories/centres on fields, forests etc.

9) Minor and Major Oil

There are now two types of oil resources: Minor and Major Oil. The random game generator should give each regime around 70% Minor Oil and about 30% Major Oil resources.

Minor Oil 1 starts with 800 production points and can be upgraded to level 2 which has 2800 production points. There is no level 3 for Minor Oil.

Major Oil 1 starts with 2800 production points, level 2 has 6000 and level 3 has 10000 production points.

Higher levels have more structural points.

All this results that oil is spread more unevenly on the map which should create more interesting strategic situations. However it may create difficulties in creating more or less equal map.

Raw is left unchanged (it works the same as in the stock version).

10) Commanders staff limit

In the stock version the staff limit which commanders were able to effectively command was around 50. Now it is doubled and is around 100.

11) Cavalry

Cavalry combat power is now exactly like infantry. [There was a suggestion that cavalry should peform better against infantry on cavalry-friendly terrain. But I found it difficult to model with the editor. Besides in WW II there were not many cavalry attacks but cavalry was more like mobile infantry.]

Currently the cavalry can be best used for example in the following roles. a) To increase recon. A cavalry SFT has 5 recon points while a infantry or tank SFT have only 1 recon point. b) To support advancing motorised troops. Cavalry has much better mobility than regular infantry and it does not consume fuel. c) To cover rear areas against guerillas or paratroopers. d) To form a mixed mobile group containing cavalry and support weapons on trucks.

The cost of cavalry has remained the same when compared to the stock version [I increased it in the playtest game but now decreased it again back].

12) Recon

Now recon can not see behind two hexes (in the stock version recon was able to see up to four hexes). This allows players to achieve surprise more easily.

Also some landscape hide points were increased a bit.

The amount of recon points to be able to have full info on enemy unit has been increased to 450. [The amount of minimal recon points to have partial info is 30.]

Recon points of the SFTs have been modified in the following way:
-trucks, artillery, inf guns, AT guns, horses, flak, mortar, bazooka, MG, staff, katyusha, train - all have now zero recon points.
-rifle, SMGs, paratroopers, tanks, assault guns, tank destroyers have 1 recon points
-guerillas, special forces and all air units (except fighters) have 2 recon points.
-halftracks and cavalry have 5 recon points
-jeeps have 25 recon points
-armoured cars and fighters have 30 recon points

13) Armour fighting in urban

Armour combat stats have been modified (decreased) when attacking city or capitol.

Armour combat stats have been modified (decreased) when defending in urban, suburban, forest etc tough terrain.

Bazooka combat stats modified (increased) when fighting in urban or capitol.

All these changes should force the player to use more infantry in urban close combat. Hopefully a large group of unsupported tanks can not simply overrun a city now.

14) Mortars

Mortar attack and defence power against infantry significantly increased. In the stock version mortars were in my opinion almost worthless item to produce.

15) Machine guns

Attack power and hit points against infantry increased. They survive now better and are now useful also when attacking (level I attack power against infantry is 60 while defense power is 90).

16) Airborne troops

Paratroopers have now also level II-IV.You will automatically get next level when you research the corresponding rifle level. Paratroopers combat stats are identical to the corresponding level infantry. They start with slightly better morale and experience but they are more expensive (infantry cost is 100 production points, paratroopers – 250 points).

Machine guns I-IV, Bazookas I-IV, Mortars I-II and AT guns I-II can be paradropped. Mortar II and AT gun II can be produced even if next level is researched.

17) Tank Destroyers and Assault Guns

Both have now stats similar to Medium Tanks except:
1)Tank Destroyers perform worse against infantry and favourite target is armour
2)Assault Guns perform worse against armour and favourite target is infantry
3)Both perform better in defense against armour than in attack
4)Both are cheaper to produce in production points and raw

18) Air units consuming oil when defending

In the stock version defending air units consumed twice the less oil when compared to attacking. Now the consuming in defense is increased and is equal to consuming in attack.

19) Guerillas

Every nation gets Guerillas. They are hopeless in combat against regular troops but are cheaper than rifle. They don't use supply (endless supply). They have bridge blowing points (the amount of points increases on the higher levels). They have 50% chance that a kill hit against them is transformed into retreat. This is to represent that they would usually try to avoid combat with regular troops.

In this mod the guerillas represent massive partisan movement on the territory occupied by the enemy. However the game engine allows the guerillas to be used freely also on enemy home territory. I guess players should agree house rules in the beginning of the game if guerillas can be produced or where they can be used.

20) Special forces

Every nation gets Special Forces (the Rangers have been removed from the game). They are very expensive but have better combat stats than regular rifle and start with superb morale and experience. They have bridge blowing points (more than guerillas have). They carry supplies for five turns. They can be paradropped. They have 50% chance that a kill hit against them is transformed into retreat. You will automatically get next level of Special Forces when you research the corresponding rifle level.

21) Trains

The cost of trains in raw and production points is lessened. So strategic transfers can be made more easily (and the readiness loss is only minus 20).

22) Initial garrisons increased

Each regime has now in the beginning of the game in each city two units which consist 50 rifle, 5 SMG, 5 MG, 4 Mortars, 3 Bazookas, 2 Infantry Guns, 5 horses. Each city has also a unit which consists 2 Artillery and 3 Horses and a unit which consists 15 Engineers.

Besides this in the capital there is a cavalry unit (40 cavalry, 5 Mgs, 1 Infantry Gun, 1 Truck, 2 Armoured cars), a armoured unit (3 Light Tanks, 2 Armoured Cars) and an air unit (4 Fighters, 3 Level Bombers).

I plan to do some solitaire playtesting in order to discover possible major bugs and then would like to test it again in multiplayer

< Message edited by kombrig -- 4/6/2013 5:07:33 PM >

(in reply to ernieschwitz)
Post #: 43
RE: Kombrig mod - 4/6/2013 7:43:00 PM   
phatkarp

This mod sounds awesome. I particularly love the readiness changes. The "flying production" is frustrating. Doing it this way should put a real emphasis on strategy, forward thinking, and the maintenance of reserves. I love. it.

(in reply to kombrig)
Post #: 44
RE: Kombrig mod - 4/7/2013 5:37:45 PM   
kombrig

Thanks to ernieschwitz (see http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3300843it ) is now possible to control the readiness of the SFTs in HQs in the beginning of a turn.

At first I wanted to make this event in order to decrease the readiness of newly produced air SFTs. As you probably know in the stock version if you transfer air SFTs outside from HQ, they don't suffer readiness loss (at the same time ground units have this penalty). This means that newly produced air SFTs can enter combat right there without much problem.

However this event can be actually used to decrease the readiness of all newly produced SFTs, not only air. So currently I have two different ideas concerning the readiness rules and can't really decide which one is better.

Version 1
The readiness rules remain the same as in the current version of the mod. A event will be added which in the beginning of every turn decreases all air SFTs readiness in HQs minus 80 points. This means that the newly produced air SFTs which arrive HQs, will have 20 readiness. Thus they can't be used effectively in combat on the same turn they arrive into HQs. It is better to transfer these air SFTs out from the HQs otherwise next turn they will have zero readiness (if they stay in the HQs).

The negative sides of this version are:
1) Newly produced non-air SFTs which arrive HQs will have still 100 readiness and it is possible to use them in combat on the same turn with 100 readiness if you do not transfer them outside HQ (instead you will use the HQ as a combat unit).

2) Readiness penalty when transfering SFTs between units under the same HQ is minus 80 readiness points which is not very realistic.

Version 2
-In the beginning of every turn all SFTs in HQs suffer readiness loss minus 70 points (air SFTs minus 80). This means that the arriving production has 30 readiness (air SFTs - 20 readiness). The only exceptions are: Staff, Trucks, Trains and Horses - these SFTs are not affected by the readiness loss in the beginning of the turn.

-Readiness penalty when transfering SFTs between units under the same HQ - only minus 10 points. This also means that if you transfer newly arrived production out from a HQ it will have 2o readiness in the end.

-Readiness penalty when transfering SFTs between units under different HQ - only minus 20 points.

-The penalties for strategic transfer and changing unit's HQ remain the same as in the current mod version (minus 20 and minus 5 readiness points).

The negative side of this version: you can't really keep the newly arrived production in HQs. It is better to transfer all the newly arrived production out from the HQs otherwise in the beginning of next turn it will suffer even bigger readiness loss (remember that in the beginning of each turn most SFTs in HQs will suffer minus 70-80 readiness). The need to transfer the production out on the same turn adds more micromanagment to the game. For example with the current version you can keep your newly arrived production in HQs and transfer it out when you need to do it. With Version 2 one may have to create storage unit(s) for production which you plan to use later.

I personally like version 2 more but maybe it is a too much clickfest?

(in reply to phatkarp)
Post #: 45
RE: Kombrig mod - 4/8/2013 1:11:53 AM   
ironduke1955

Hard to comment about the effects of Strategic Bombing without feedback from Madlok I had a large Strategic Bombing Wing and used it continually.

(in reply to kombrig)
Post #: 46
RE: Kombrig mod - 4/11/2013 6:45:53 AM   
kombrig

Found a near perfect solution concerning the readiness rules.

I made a event which in the beginning of a regime's turn sets all SFTs in all HQs with 22 readiness (air units 20). Exception is Staff, Trucks, Trains and Horses - these are not affected.

This means that SFTs (including just arrived production) can not gain more readiness than 22 while staying in HQ. If they loose readiness via combat when staying in HQ then their readiness is set again 20 or 22 in the beginning of the next turn.

The readiness penalty for transfering SFTs out from the HQ into a unit under the same HQ is 10%. This means that all SFTs (except Staff, Trucks, Trains, Horses) in newly formed units start with 20 readiness.

Also I completely reworked the guerilla war.

Now guerillas can not be researched or produced. If enemy regime takes a certain hex which was yours at the beginning of the game (turn 1) then there is a random chance that a guerilla unit (60 SFTs) will appear there.

The hexes where guerillas can appear are: low mountains, forest, swamp, suburban, urban. They will not appear on plain or fields or high mountains.

Otherwise the guerillas work the same as described above.

Theoretically they can be still used also on enemy home territory but because of the randomness of their appearance it is not really possible anymore to plan huge guerilla sneak offensives.

< Message edited by kombrig -- 4/11/2013 7:36:38 AM >

Post #: 47
RE: Kombrig mod - 4/11/2013 4:13:37 PM   
phatkarp

Readiness Rules -- Love it.

(in reply to kombrig)
Post #: 48
RE: Kombrig mod - 4/12/2013 1:02:26 AM   
Bombur

Where could I download this mod????

Post #: 49
RE: Kombrig mod - 4/12/2013 6:14:29 AM   
kombrig

I'm still playtesting it solitaire (playing against myself) in order to discover major bugs. If it's OK, I'll upload it hopefuly soon.

(in reply to Bombur)
Post #: 50
RE: Kombrig mod - 4/15/2013 11:24:16 PM   
Rander

Hello.

Like the changes. Great idea with the readiness rules.

Also love the idea that factories and research centers must be placed on suburban areas.

Bye!

< Message edited by Rander -- 4/16/2013 11:59:19 PM >

(in reply to kombrig)
Post #: 51
RE: Kombrig mod - 3/1/2014 4:39:29 PM   
all5n

So is this in a finalized state?

Any games going on using this mod?

(in reply to Rander)
Post #: 52
RE: Kombrig mod - 3/1/2014 9:10:14 PM   
kombrig

Almost. I have not yet fixed a couple of bugs which were discovered during a four player test game. Also it turned out that the guerilla thing is not working as it should. I think the idea must be abandoned.

(in reply to all5n)
Post #: 53
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series >> Mods and Scenarios >> RE: Kombrig mod Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI