Matrix Games Forums

War in the West gets its first update!Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm version 2.08 is now available!Command gets huge update!Order of Battle: Pacific Featured on Weekly Streaming SessionA new fight for Battle Academy!Buzz Aldrin's Space Program Manager is out for Mac!The definitive wargame of the Western Front is out now! War in the West gets teaser trailer and Twitch Stream!New Preview AAR for War in the West!War in the West Manual preview
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: CTDs with 257

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Discontinued Games] >> Command Ops Series >> Tech Support >> RE: CTDs with 257 Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: CTDs with 257 - 2/27/2013 8:10:19 PM   
phoenix

I ran it with 5 min auto save on, Dave, as requested. No crashes. I've run it crash free for a while now. Another thing I changed around the same time, and have now changed back, was that I had selected a mouse option (available through the normal windows mouse control panel) whereby if I press CTRL a graphic appears on screen (concentric animated circles) showing me where the mouse pointer is. I never actually used this, but I noticed it was happening when I used CTRL to group units. It's possible that interfered. Not sure. Clearly, it pays to run MSDIAG and check what you have in your start section there. I have switched off everything I don't recognise or need. I assume Ramses has already done this, of course. It's par for the course that the thing that was sitting there probably causing a crash every five minutes - the back up drive driver - looked completely harmless and safe. Since the drive wasn't even connected I had assumed it was dormant. It clearly wasn't. Many harmless looking programs are probably like this - they do something every now and then.

< Message edited by phoenix -- 2/27/2013 8:12:14 PM >

(in reply to Ramses)
Post #: 31
RE: CTDs with 257 - 2/27/2013 8:54:41 PM   
Ramses

After a couple of hours tinkering with this scenario, I finally have found a 'solution' to trigger a ctd.

1) load savegame
2) max out time
3) select the 21 Bty (SP) 55 Werger-rgt (next to gutmann hq)
4) select M for movement
5) hold shift key
6) place the first movement order between rumlange and stockem (see screendump) while holding shift.
7) place some more movement orders to the left with about 1 km intervals

I get a ctd 9 out of 10 times

Savegame sent.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Ramses -- 2/27/2013 8:56:03 PM >

(in reply to Ramses)
Post #: 32
RE: CTDs with 257 - 2/27/2013 9:11:04 PM   
phoenix

Hey Ramses. Send me the savegame and let me try that also? Just curious.

peter.winship(at)skynet(point)be

Peter

And what do you mean by 'max out time'?

< Message edited by phoenix -- 2/27/2013 9:12:07 PM >

(in reply to Ramses)
Post #: 33
RE: CTDs with 257 - 2/27/2013 9:15:01 PM   
Ramses

quote:

ORIGINAL: phoenix

Hey Ramses. Send me the savegame and let me try that also? Just curious.

peter.winship(at)skynet(point)be

Peter

And what do you mean by 'max out time'?

Savegame sent Phoenix. Max out time =

Attachment (1)

(in reply to phoenix)
Post #: 34
RE: CTDs with 257 - 2/27/2013 9:22:12 PM   
phoenix

Yep!! Worked first time on fourth click. CTD as I clicked the fourth waypoint

(in reply to Ramses)
Post #: 35
RE: CTDs with 257 - 2/27/2013 9:27:04 PM   
Ramses

quote:

ORIGINAL: phoenix

Yep!! Worked first time on fourth click. CTD as I clicked the fourth waypoint

Thanks Phoenix, it's 'good' to see that it is reproducable. Hopefully Arjuna can find out what is wrong.

(in reply to phoenix)
Post #: 36
RE: CTDs with 257 - 2/27/2013 10:59:45 PM   
Arjuna

ramses,

You are a jem, mate!

First off, the error I have jut detected had absolutely nothing to do with what you did in the interface. Rather it had to do with the movement of an inf gun platoon a few kms away. What was happening was that the platoon was moving in formation with its boss. The boss had two waypoints and had in fact moved past the first waypoint but for some reason had not removed it as it should. I can't tell why because it happened before the start. So the platoon for some reason, maybe it had been retreating, had to recalc its route. In doing so it creates an offset of its boss's route and seeds its waypoints by finding the closest index along the offset route that coresponds to the boss waypoints. Alas it it could not find an index that corresponded to the waypoint that should have been removed. However, it wasn't checking to see if the temporary found index was null or not, which it was, before adding it. Then when it tried to calc the route for the next leg it ended up with a null start and that caused the crash. I have fixed this now by doing a check and not seeding a waypoint. This means that it will ignore any waypoint passed by the boss already. So we should not have a repeat of this CTD.

However, I also got another assert when I tried to place a waypoint for the 21st Arty Bty in some woods. It should have automatically assessed that this could not move there and find a passable nearby loc. I'm going to investigate why this failed.

Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com

(in reply to Ramses)
Post #: 37
RE: CTDs with 257 - 2/27/2013 11:15:23 PM   
Arjuna

OK I ran through after the code change and noted that the cause is actually the boss who is forced to retreat and recalc his route without ditching the interim waypoint which he has in effect passed. mmm...need to think on that one. I'll be back.

Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com

(in reply to Arjuna)
Post #: 38
RE: CTDs with 257 - 2/28/2013 5:52:33 AM   
Bletchley_Geek

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ramses

Thanks for looking into this matter Bletchley_Geek. I did precisely what you asked; as you can see the process does follow a very similar profile.

Start 88MB
D2 0600 91MB
D2 1600 94MB
D2 2200 95MB
D3 0700 96MB
D3 1600 100MB
End 101MB

Cool Ramses As I imagined, the Debug build footprint is about a 25% greater than the Release version.

(in reply to Ramses)
Post #: 39
RE: CTDs with 257 - 2/28/2013 9:04:19 AM   
Ramses

Arjuna,

It's good to see that you found some bugs in the savegame and that I haven't been wasting your time for nothing. I have some earlier saves prior to the one I sent yesterday; if they could be of any value I will be happy to mail them.

Finally I would like to express my appreciation for the support over here; it is truly unrivaled...

Thanks,

Ramses

(in reply to Bletchley_Geek)
Post #: 40
RE: CTDs with 257 - 2/28/2013 11:59:56 AM   
Arjuna

Ramses,

No I was able to solve things with just that one save thanks.

Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com

(in reply to Ramses)
Post #: 41
RE: CTDs with 257 - 3/1/2013 11:04:21 PM   
Ramses

Arjuna,

Dont want to be a whiner but I have another ctd savegame. This time the 'Hell on wheels' counterattack, one of my favourites. You don't have to do anything this time, just max out time and wait. It seems the ctd is triggered by PAK Pi bn4 SS PZ Gren Regt. As soon as it is at the point of surrender there is a ctd. Savegame sent.

I hope you believe me when I say that my intention is not to be a killjoy, but rather to iron out the wrinkles of what I consider to be the best game I own.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Arjuna)
Post #: 42
RE: CTDs with 257 - 3/2/2013 12:27:48 AM   
Bletchley_Geek

Thank you very much for the report, Ramses. Don´t worry mate, those steely eyes of yours (and others) are invaluable.

But this one is going to be a tough one to catch. Surrendering is chance based (i.e. there are checks being performed, with certain probability of triggering a surrender). I'll be leaving it running while doing other stuff and see if it happens for me as well.

(in reply to Ramses)
Post #: 43
RE: CTDs with 257 - 3/2/2013 1:01:17 AM   
Bletchley_Geek

Ramses,

I haven't got the CTD you report on my first run of the scenario (see Screenshot #1). You can see that quite a few German units have surrendered.

I'll try a couple times more, but I'd like to suggest you to activate the Autosave feature, so when you get a CTD, there'll be a savegame within 5 minutes of the crash.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 44
RE: CTDs with 257 - 3/2/2013 1:24:03 AM   
Ramses

That's a surprise to me. I only have to load the savegame, max out time and get a ctd within 10 seconds. I was playing this scenario for fun but got ctd's a couple of times. Did some manual saves with less than 5 min intervals. I will send them all.

The message I get is that the unit has disbanded or surrendered. Did you set the time to max? It appears bad things happen when I do this.

Post #: 45
RE: CTDs with 257 - 3/2/2013 1:29:27 AM   
Bletchley_Geek

quote:

That's a surprise to me. I only have to load the savegame, max out time and get a ctd within 10 seconds. I was playing this scenario for fun but got ctd's a couple of times. Did some manual saves with less than 5 min intervals. I will send them all.

Can you post your savegame here?

quote:

The message I get is that the unit has disbanded or surrendered. Did you set the time to max? It appears bad things happen when I do this.

Yes, it was at max speed.

(in reply to Ramses)
Post #: 46
RE: CTDs with 257 - 3/2/2013 1:34:25 AM   
Arjuna

I have forwarded Ramses saves to you Miquel.

BTW there is a strong possibility Miquel, that this has been fixed in the code changes I made this week and that you did a get on last night.

Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com

Post #: 47
RE: CTDs with 257 - 3/2/2013 1:41:19 AM   
Bletchley_Geek

quote:

ORIGINAL: Arjuna

I have forwarded Ramses saves to you Miquel.

BTW there is a strong possibility Miquel, that this has been fixed in the code changes I made this week and that you did a get on last night.

This is what I was suspecting, Dave. But let's double check, nonetheless.

(in reply to Arjuna)
Post #: 48
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Discontinued Games] >> Command Ops Series >> Tech Support >> RE: CTDs with 257 Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI