Matrix Games Forums

Space Program Manager will be launching on SteamCome and see us during the Spieltagen in Essen!New Screenshots for Pike & ShotDeal of the Week Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations WOTYCommand: Modern Air/Naval Operations WOTY is now available!Frontline : The Longest Day Announced and in Beta!Command gets Wargame of the Year EditionDeal of the Week: Pandora SeriesPandora: Eclipse of Nashira is now availableDistant Worlds Gets another update
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Customizing units

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> Customizing units Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Customizing units - 2/21/2013 8:38:52 AM   
Southern_Aristocrat

I am trying to customize the game so that instead of fighting "US 1st Infantry", "US 2nd Infantry",... "US 79th Infantry", there are actually state designations, and taking advantage of the various state flags provided as opposed to the same old generic US or CS flags.

What I've done is remade the ACWSpecUnits file and filled it up with "1st_Georgia", "2nd_Georgia", "1st_Illinois_Cav", "1st_New_York_Art", etc. All generic state designations for now. Proper flags are assigned to each unit based on the state it represents. none are assigned attributes or special abilities.

Setting "SpecialUnitPercentage" to 1000 in the ACWconstants file works to replace all the generic units at scenario start as well as new units with the ones I've supplied in the ACWSpecUnits file, however I've have several issues during the testing of this approach.

- Flags assigned to units in the ACWSpecUnit file do not appear in game, whether at the scenario start or built after turn 1. This appears to be a problem with Special Units in the vanilla game too.
- The maximum number of special units the program is able to process from the ACWSpecUnits file is 256.
- The units from ACWSpecUnits selected at the start of the game have random special abilities (even with the ACWstart file modded to have no special abilities for any unit), while special units built during the game properly have none.
- Setting "no starting legendary units" in the game options (for a custom unit/flag ACWstart file) means units from the ACWspecunit file are never used, even in future unit production.
-Generals are assigned to brigades randomly every turn, no "Hood's", "Law's" brigades etc. (arrrg)

If anyone familiar with modding special units, or a developer can confirm these 4 findings I'd appreciate it. Especially if somehow flags I designate to units could be made to appear. I have fun customizing my confederates and want to add some color to the bad guys too.

Thanks

Post #: 1
RE: Customizing units - 2/26/2013 11:51:20 PM   
Gil R.

1000%, huh? You might be the first to have thought of that.

As I recall, the generic units that appear are hard-coded to be generic, so this is only something that can be fixed with paperclips and duct tape, as you're doing. I'll ask Eric (= programmer) to wander by here and see if he has any ideas.

Michael Jordan plays ball. Charles Manson kills people. I torment eager potential customers by not sharing screenshots of "Brother Against Brother." Everyone has a talent.

(in reply to Southern_Aristocrat)
Post #: 2
RE: Customizing units - 2/28/2013 2:19:40 AM   
Southern_Aristocrat

For some reason 100% was not working... 100% of the time, I was still getting generic units at the start and when making new ones. 1000% seems to solve that problem.

EDIT: although I didn't try 101%-999%, I just went straight to 1000%

< Message edited by Southern_Aristocrat -- 2/28/2013 2:21:08 AM >

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> Customizing units Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI