Build 4.4.257 Feedback

Command Ops: Battles From The Bulge takes the highly acclaimed Airborne Assault engine back to the West Front for the crucial engagements during the Ardennes Offensive. Test your command skills in the fiery crucible of Airborne Assault’s “pausable continuous time” uber-realistic game engine. It's up to you to develop the strategy, issue the orders, set the pace, and try to win the laurels of victory in the cold, shadowy Ardennes.
Command Ops: Highway to the Reich brings us to the setting of one of the most epic and controversial battles of World War II: Operation Market-Garden, covering every major engagement along Hell’s Highway, from the surprise capture of Joe’s Bridge by the Irish Guards a week before the offensive to the final battles on “The Island” south of Arnhem.

Moderators: Panther Paul, Arjuna

Arjuna

Build 4.4.257 Feedback

Post by Arjuna »

OK guys. This is the place to put any feedback on the lastest build.
Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com
Arjuna

RE: Build 4.4.257 Feedback

Post by Arjuna »

ORIGINAL: Alchenar

I presume there'll be a feedback thread later, but my intial good and bad impressions are:

1) Cas 'feels' much better. I don't know how it relates to historical levels, but the important thing is the visible difference you can see that it (and the formation code updates) have on the game - attacks are driven through properly, units melt in the face of overwhelming assault, you can actually see HQs in the exploitation phase detailing line companies to clear the objective area.

Altogether it feels like a much more authentic representation of combat (well, as much as watching some squares moving around a map can).

Good to hear.
2) Something odd appears to be happening with the final-point formation. I haven't pinned it down yet, but it appears that in some instances final-waypoint formation commands aren't propagating back through the previous waypoints and you have to go back to the form-up waypoint to actually set the formation you want your unit to attack in.
I presume this is for an attack order. Can you elaborate? Is it a case of you changing the formation type setting and this not sticking? If so, was the game paused when you gave this command? If so, then yes I noticed that too and have asked Paul to look into it.
Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com
pekische

Post by pekische »

Hi Arjuna, thx a lot for new built...! [;)]

My first problem is this:
Panzer Bn get initial order even before start of the mission to move and defend intended position. They started moving but in about half of they journey they halted. In this moment they are staying for hours. And no message why. Everything looks they should have no problem.... I am sending you my save.

Attachments
capture.jpg
capture.jpg (132.94 KiB) Viewed 574 times
Alchenar

Post by Alchenar »

ORIGINAL: Arjuna
I presume this is for an attack order. Can you elaborate? Is it a case of you changing the formation type setting and this not sticking? If so, was the game paused when you gave this command? If so, then yes I noticed that too and have asked Paul to look into it.

Yes, yes, yes.

I've also noticed that the final waypoint 'box' now has a tendency to be an odd shape also with move and defend commands. I think this might just be the result of the box representing the 'true' position of the formation after it has progressed through the waypoint though and might just need me to adapt.
Phoenix100

Wow, that was quick!

Post by Phoenix100 »

So. Same pic I put up before, about fifteen minutes after loading 257 and the enemy has been overwhelmed and routed. That seemed to work!

Attachments
257result.gif
257result.gif (99.4 KiB) Viewed 573 times
miya

Build 4.4.257 Feedback

Post by miya »

something is odd with giving orders. I made some screenshots, please compare the order on the map, (shape, size and direction) with the settings on the left side (facing, frontage and depth)

Attachments
orders.jpg
orders.jpg (993.55 KiB) Viewed 573 times
Phoenix100

Post by Phoenix100 »

First and third look ok. Second shot obviously there's a prob.....

These boxes have been funny since patch 4, I think, though I was just putting up with it. Dave has said the change was intentional - to better represent formation, I think - but that wouldn't account for why when you first place the marker the box is one shape and then when you move it a fraction the box changes shape, sometimes radically, without there being any obvious terrain reason why that should happen.

I'm not sure what they mean, in terms of what is actually happening in the number crunching - are they really meant to be some kind of accurate representation of footprint? Or is it just info, for us, and the engine crunches things properly anyway (which is to be hoped - because, as a footprint they sometimes seem very odd)?

Does the lopsided box in shot 2 change to something more recognisable when you reposition the task marker ever so slightly?
navwarcol

Post by navwarcol »

If you twice "aim" the facing, the second time works. Not sure why this is, but I noticed it almost immediately as well..for some reason the first time of aiming the formation facing ends as facing directly north/south..then grab the facing dial a second time, and you can aim it.
Arjuna

Post by Arjuna »

ORIGINAL: Alchenar

Yes, yes, yes.

I've also noticed that the final waypoint 'box' now has a tendency to be an odd shape also with move and defend commands. I think this might just be the result of the box representing the 'true' position of the formation after it has progressed through the waypoint though and might just need me to adapt.
Yes [:)]
Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com
Arjuna

RE: Wow, that was quick!

Post by Arjuna »

ORIGINAL: phoenix

So. Same pic I put up before, about fifteen minutes after loading 257 and the enemy has been overwhelmed and routed. That seemed to work!

Excellent. [:)]
Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com
Arjuna

Post by Arjuna »

ORIGINAL: navwarcol

If you twice "aim" the facing, the second time works. Not sure why this is, but I noticed it almost immediately as well..for some reason the first time of aiming the formation facing ends as facing directly north/south..then grab the facing dial a second time, and you can aim it.
I've been looking into this. I have got it to manifest while the game is pause but not consistently. Can anyone get this to repeat consitently? If so, what are the specific steps?
Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com
navwarcol

Post by navwarcol »

Actually, each time I have had it happen was also paused, giving orders. I think it has happened each time.. the first time was confusing a bit, but I mostly ignored it as soon as I figured out that I could correct it by grabbing the dial again. Will pay more attention and see if it really happens every time now.
pekische

Post by pekische »

me too each time
pekische

Post by pekische »

Option "Assault at" doesnt work! When I set any time for any command it disappears and "assault at" has no effect....
pekische

Post by pekische »

The same what I described in post 3 happened again. In the same mission but another session and with different group of units.... :(
dazkaz15

Post by dazkaz15 »

Not had time to play much yet, but I can confirm everything everyone above me has said so far has also happened in my game.

I am also having problems with supply deliveries being very low. My units will ask for emergency supplies, a very small amount will be delivered then they will immediately ask for more. I'm not sure if this is just a low delivery rate or that the units are now burning through ammo like crazy even on normal.

The images taken at the same time of one of the units with the units with the supply problem, and its supply depot.

Image[/img]

Edit: Think I need a bit more practice with posting pictures! Miya how did you post your pics if you don't mind me asking. Thanks.

Edit again: Just had another look and think I might be able to answer my own problem. Is it because my supply base is cut off from the SEP and although it has ammo in stock it is rationing it out to the drawing units?

In other words working as intended?
dazkaz15

Post by dazkaz15 »

I've been looking into this. I have got it to manifest while the game is pause but not consistently. Can anyone get this to repeat consitently? If so, what are the specific steps?

No not consistently. It usualy workes after the first placement/facing, and I very rarely get it right first click anyway so no big problem for me [:'(]

I must say that even though we have this problem the boxes are vastly improved for defining the area of the units.

Thanks Dave
GBS

Post by GBS »

ORIGINAL: pekische

Option "Assault at" doesnt work! When I set any time for any command it disappears and "assault at" has no effect....

I have noticed that "assault at" works only when used with an Attack order. Another thing I have noticed is if I want to give a "move" order and want to delay the start for say, 4 hours...I can only adjust the Start time for the order by one hour. Is this WAD?
"It is well War is so terrible lest we grow fond of it." -
R. E. Lee

"War..god help me, I love it so." - G. Patton
GBS

Post by GBS »

Actually, each time I have had it happen was also paused, giving orders. I think it has happened each time.. the first time was confusing a bit, but I mostly ignored it as soon as I figured out that I could correct it by grabbing the dial again. Will pay more attention and see if it really happens every time now.

This does happen every time if the game is paused. If not paused, it work with one click on the dial with a one or two second delay.
"It is well War is so terrible lest we grow fond of it." -
R. E. Lee

"War..god help me, I love it so." - G. Patton
Arjuna

Post by Arjuna »

Re the UI issue of order settings not sticking. I tried this with an order I had given and after running the game I paused it and tried to get this to happen but it doesn't. Maybe it only occurs if the game is paused when you issue the initial order. It would be good if I could get some more testing from you guys on this. Thanks.
Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com

Return to “Command Ops Series”