Matrix Games Forums

New information and screenshots for Pike & ShotDeal of the Week Pride of NationsTo End All Wars Releasing on Steam! Slitherine is recruiting: Programmers requiredPandora: Eclipse of Nashira gets release dateCommunity impressions of To End All WarsAgeod's To End All Wars is now availableTo End All Wars is now available!Deal of the Week: Field of GloryTo End All Wars: Video, AAR and Interview!
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: BIZARRE COINCIDENCE- JUNE 20 1941

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: BIZARRE COINCIDENCE- JUNE 20 1941 Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: BIZARRE COINCIDENCE- JUNE 20 1941 - 2/21/2013 5:45:32 AM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

quote:

quote:

Which shows that Hitler learned nothing from history...oh and they were born 120 years apart..and they were defeated 130 years apart.

Oh well 2 out of 4 ain't bad.

HITLER learned nothing from history? What about Napolean? You'd think one failed campaign for world domination would have suited any man. Shoulda taken his 'retirement' package when he had the chance.

As for the American driving France into bankruptcy...blah, blah blah. They had that revolution thing going on right about then that didn't do much for their economy. Maybe that (unrelated to the Americans) was more important than some extraneous variable like the US? It's like saying that the Indians (and their requirements for British oversight) were the downfall of the British Empire. Not hardly.

So, 1 out of 4 then? But still, you've got to admit that that one tangible fact is pretty telling! I mean, n=1 of anything is sufficient for people to draw some conclusive and universal precepts from, idnit? If you don't have n=1, then just opt for a convenient conspiracy of some sort or other.

"Cracked.com" SLAAK? Really? I grew up on "Cracked" magazine (I even had a subscription once, back in the day). "Mad" Magazine was OK too. "Crazy" was another underappreciated one. Perhaps you subscribe to "Crazy" still?
warspite1

Two things:

a) I think the French went bust as a result of fighting the British in North America (and the revolution followed from that)

b) I didn't understand the 1 out of 4 comment. I think 2 of those 4 statements are correct, aren't they?

Two things:

a. I don't think the French went bust as a result of fighting the British in North America. I'm sure it didn't help matters, but it wasn't a proximate cause.
b. I miscounted. 2 of 4. 50% bull****, which for Slaak is a monumental improvement.
warspite1

No, and if my comment sounded like that was what I was saying then it was not supposed to - an event that big does not happen overnight and not for just one reason. I see it as the straw that broke the camels back. France had problems - involving themselves in the American Revolutionary War added greatly to those problems. My comment stemmed from your post 14 in which it sounded like France went "bust" during the revolution. My understanding, and this is not my area of expertise by any means, was that France was officially bankrupt in 1788 and the revolution followed the year after.

England expects that every man will do his duty - Horatio Nelson 1805.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 31
RE: BIZARRE COINCIDENCE- JUNE 20 1941 - 2/21/2013 5:47:21 AM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: SLAAKMAN

quote:

Wow. You sound disappointed you lost

We didnt "lose"...we're merely taking lunch.
warspite1

Oh that's nice. What are you having?

(in reply to SLAAKMAN)
Post #: 32
RE: BIZARRE COINCIDENCE- JUNE 20 1941 - 2/21/2013 6:14:25 AM   
SLAAKMAN

quote:

French Fries & English Crumpets;

Germany's unforgivable crime before the Second World War was her attempt to extricate her economy from the world's trading system and to create her own exchange mechanism which would deny world finance its opportunity to profit.
— Winston Churchill

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 33
RE: BIZARRE COINCIDENCE- JUNE 20 1941 - 2/21/2013 6:18:33 AM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

French Fries & English Crumpets;
warspite1

Mmmm a very nice, if a little odd, combination.

Sad to see you are still dreaming of burnt out French tanks and shot down Hurricanes - make sure you have your box of kleenex to hand

(in reply to SLAAKMAN)
Post #: 34
RE: BIZARRE COINCIDENCE- JUNE 20 1941 - 2/21/2013 1:58:23 PM   
SLAAKMAN

quote:

Sad to see you are still dreaming of burnt out French tanks and shot down Hurricanes - make sure you have your box of kleenex to hand

Dreaming of burnt Allied hulks on lonely beaches is always nostalgic when channeling memories of past WiF Campaign Glory:

Attachment (2)

Germany's unforgivable crime before the Second World War was her attempt to extricate her economy from the world's trading system and to create her own exchange mechanism which would deny world finance its opportunity to profit.
— Winston Churchill

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 35
RE: BIZARRE COINCIDENCE- JUNE 20 1941 - 2/21/2013 3:46:17 PM   
parusski

quote:

quote:

quote:

Wow. You sound disappointed you lost

We didnt "lose"...we're merely taking lunch.
warspite1

I was having french(always surrender)fries and chips.

"I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast."- W.T. Sherman

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 36
RE: BIZARRE COINCIDENCE- JUNE 20 1941 - 2/21/2013 3:46:59 PM   
parusski

quote:

quote:

Dreaming of burnt Allied hulks on lonely beaches is always nostalgic when channeling memories of past WiF Campaign Glory:

Oh my, that gives me tingles up my leg(think Chris Matthews). Loverly.

"I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast."- W.T. Sherman

(in reply to SLAAKMAN)
Post #: 37
RE: BIZARRE COINCIDENCE- JUNE 20 1941 - 2/21/2013 5:53:47 PM   
SLAAKMAN

quote:

parruski

Very true. Few things in life are as glorious as luring the Allies into assaulting Vichy France thereby activating the 95% intact Vichy Fleet or taking Gibralter with German Para's & Italian Marines thereby activating Spain into the Axis. One day you & Warspite1 will be lured into my death-traps & you both will rejoice in your Doom merrily.

Attachment (1)

— Winston Churchill

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 38
RE: BIZARRE COINCIDENCE- JUNE 20 1941 - 2/21/2013 6:21:00 PM   
parusski

quote:

quote:

parruski

Very true. Few things in life are as glorious as luring the Allies into assaulting Vichy France thereby activating the 95% intact Vichy Fleet or taking Gibralter with German Para's & Italian Marines thereby activating Spain into the Axis. One day you & Warspite1 will be lured into my death-traps & you both will rejoice in your Doom merrily.

What the hell is wrong with you? Do you forget who and what I am/was??? I fought for the glorious Fatherland against the evil Red Empire. Had I not been taking a lunch break, eating chips and French(surrenderers)fries and chips, Berlin would never have fallen.

(in reply to SLAAKMAN)
Post #: 39
RE: BIZARRE COINCIDENCE- JUNE 20 1941 - 2/21/2013 7:01:01 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

warspite1

Those maps STINK!

Why did ADG do that??

(in reply to SLAAKMAN)
Post #: 40
RE: BIZARRE COINCIDENCE- JUNE 20 1941 - 2/21/2013 7:14:43 PM   
sulla05

Okay, I thought I was the only one.

That map is hideous and I have seen some bad ones. That's right up there with AH's 1914.

Windows 7 home premium 64
Intel quad core I7
6 Gb DD3
ATI 5800

Di! Ecce hora! Uxor mea me necabit!

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 41
RE: BIZARRE COINCIDENCE- JUNE 20 1941 - 2/21/2013 7:21:29 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: sulla05

That map is hideous and I have seen some bad ones. That's right up there with AH's 1914.
warspite1

Fortunately MWIF has put right that hideous wrong

(in reply to sulla05)
Post #: 42
RE: BIZARRE COINCIDENCE- JUNE 20 1941 - 2/21/2013 8:54:49 PM   
ezz

Really like the sand coloured CW units. Can actually see the numbers.
Are they sand in MWIF or still the blue?

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 43
RE: BIZARRE COINCIDENCE- JUNE 20 1941 - 2/21/2013 8:59:42 PM   
ezz

I .. I see the map with the matrix logo now.

Still, its nice to be able to fox the 'red alert' Japanese navy into a trap because their Admiral didn't see the CW blue coloured fleet in the blue coloured sea box.

(in reply to ezz)
Post #: 44
RE: BIZARRE COINCIDENCE- JUNE 20 1941 - 2/21/2013 9:10:11 PM   
SLAAKMAN

quote:

warspite1

Those maps STINK!

Why did ADG do that??

sulla05

MUAHAHAHAHAHAH!! Silly Sulla05 & Warspite1 Newblettes! GAZE INTO THE EYES OF THE DRAGON & DESPAIR!!

Attachment (1)

— Winston Churchill

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 45
RE: BIZARRE COINCIDENCE- JUNE 20 1941 - 2/21/2013 9:13:29 PM   
SLAAKMAN

quote:

What the hell is wrong with you? Do you forget who and what I am/was??? I fought for the glorious Fatherland against the evil Red Empire. Had I not been taking a lunch break, eating chips and French(surrenderers)fries and chips, Berlin would never have fallen.

BECAUSE OF YOUR FAILURE TO SECURE VICTORY YOU MUST PAY THE PRICE! YOU WILL COMMAND THE RUSSKIES IN YOUR NEXT GAME WHILE SILLY MR W1 COMMANDS THE BRITS!! I CRUSH U BOTH LIKE GRAPES!

< Message edited by SLAAKMAN -- 2/22/2013 5:17:39 AM >

— Winston Churchill

(in reply to SLAAKMAN)
Post #: 46
RE: BIZARRE COINCIDENCE- JUNE 20 1941 - 2/22/2013 12:05:06 AM   
rogo727

Lol! You have been eating to much popicock mr.c. We did declare War on England for impressment and illegal boarding in 1812 remember? I'm ashamed to admit this but America didn't pay back one red cent to France after the fact. I'm talking millions... Back then. It was huge and embarrassing. Without France by god we would be a British commonwealth country. Makes me up chuck in my mouth just thinking about it.....
quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: rogo727

Years of bad money management and poor crops lead to the French Revolution

Yes. Agreed.

quote:

To say that by helping the Americans out in which they did pushed them over the edge.......they could not recover from that.

Meh. I don't believe the commitment to helping America was sufficient to 'break their backs'. It probably didn't help matters, but they had a lot of other problems simultaneously.

I'm certainly willing to consider any primary research you have that indicates their involvement with the American Revolutionary War was the root cause of their collapse though.

quote:

I'm thinking mr. Chicken boy should go back and read a book or two on this matter.

Ummm...have. Thanks.

quote:

We did and still do I feel owe France for helping us throw off the yoke of the tyrant king George.

I think we did owe the French a debt of gratitude for their help with the Revolutionary War and sticking a finger in the eye of the English on our behalf. Once upon a time.

Of course, Napolean's privateer wars (that preyed on American shipping off our coasts) didn't help our relations any. We would have been within our rights to declare war against him and them in the early 1800s as a result of these purely illegal piratical acts.

Our debt to the French was finally paid in full (and then some) with our involvement in France during the First and Second World Wars. Either we're even or they 'owe us one' in the international karmic ledger.

"I thank God that I was warring on the gridirons of the midwest and not the battlefields of Europe"
Nile Kinnick 1918-1943

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 47
RE: BIZARRE COINCIDENCE- JUNE 20 1941 - 2/22/2013 4:47:49 AM   
Chickenboy

quote:

Without France by god we would be a British commonwealth country.

Perhaps. But revisionist history works both ways. Without us, they would have either been fully Nazi held to this date or-alternatively-under Soviet influence. I bet either prospect makes them throw up in their mouth a little too.

Even-Steven. Done. I'll genuflect to the French for their aid and assistance some 200 years ago when I hear regular Parisian praises about the sacrifice of the Americans in both world wars. They've moved on too.

(in reply to rogo727)
Post #: 48
RE: BIZARRE COINCIDENCE- JUNE 20 1941 - 2/22/2013 5:04:29 AM   
Chickenboy

quote:

Lol! You have been eating to much popicock mr.c.

Hey, Iowa-you may want to review your Embargo Act history. Found here. It's an interesting read:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Embargo_Act_of_1807

Upshot: BOTH the English and the French were harassing our shipping and empressing our sailors. BOTH OF THEM. To the point that an exasperated Jefferson passed this somewhat punitive act against BOTH OF THEM.

I would have expected the English to be schmucks about that time. They'd been nothing but trouble since that whole Declaration of Independence thing.

The French were taking advantage of our goodwill and debt of gratitude for aiding us during the Revolutionary War. Not the way "friends" treat one another. We would have been within our rights to make war on the French for these actions, regardless of what they had done to help us some 33 years prior. Under new management, the French weren't what they were as Allies. When that happens, one loses faith and loyalty.

So, our 'debt' to the French was tattered in the early 1800s, after the French duplicity. Then it was fully paid in WWI and WWII. No need to get your digestion all catywampus for a debt that was rendered moot many many years ago.

(in reply to rogo727)
Post #: 49
RE: BIZARRE COINCIDENCE- JUNE 20 1941 - 2/22/2013 5:06:50 AM   
SLAAKMAN

quote:

Even-Steven. Done. I'll genuflect to the French for their aid and assistance some 200 years ago when I hear regular Parisian praises about the sacrifice of the Americans in both world wars. They've moved on too.

There is also new threat as always. The New World Order concocted by the Illuminati is on the rise. We must dismantle this New World Illusion by uniting those in France & everywhere to achieve sovereignty. The Prophecy has foretold these events. Prepare yourselves!

— Winston Churchill

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 50
RE: BIZARRE COINCIDENCE- JUNE 20 1941 - 2/22/2013 5:13:42 AM   
warspite1

quote:

Lol! You have been eating to much popicock mr.c. We did declare War on England for impressment and illegal boarding in 1812 remember? I'm ashamed to admit this but America didn't pay back one red cent to France after the fact. I'm talking millions... Back then. It was huge and embarrassing. Without France by god we would be a British commonwealth country. Makes me up chuck in my mouth just thinking about it.....
warspite1

Good grief

Three things: a) the anti-British stuff is getting really boring b) NO.YOU.WOULDN'T. You are not really suggesting that you had a one-time, use it or lose it shot at breaking free of the UK? c) non-payment for services rendered? Read a WWII history book. The US owes France nothing - quite the reverse.

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 2/22/2013 5:16:36 AM >

(in reply to rogo727)
Post #: 51
RE: BIZARRE COINCIDENCE- JUNE 20 1941 - 2/22/2013 3:34:12 PM   
ckammp

quote:

quote:

quote:

Yes. Agreed.

quote:

To say that by helping the Americans out in which they did pushed them over the edge.......they could not recover from that.

Meh. I don't believe the commitment to helping America was sufficient to 'break their backs'. It probably didn't help matters, but they had a lot of other problems simultaneously.

I'm certainly willing to consider any primary research you have that indicates their involvement with the American Revolutionary War was the root cause of their collapse though.

quote:

I'm thinking mr. Chicken boy should go back and read a book or two on this matter.

Ummm...have. Thanks.

quote:

We did and still do I feel owe France for helping us throw off the yoke of the tyrant king George.

I think we did owe the French a debt of gratitude for their help with the Revolutionary War and sticking a finger in the eye of the English on our behalf. Once upon a time.

Of course, Napolean's privateer wars (that preyed on American shipping off our coasts) didn't help our relations any. We would have been within our rights to declare war against him and them in the early 1800s as a result of these purely illegal piratical acts.

Our debt to the French was finally paid in full (and then some) with our involvement in France during the First and Second World Wars. Either we're even or they 'owe us one' in the international karmic ledger.

The United States government paid off all debts to the French government in 1795.

The American Revolution, contrary to the propaganda that has been endless repeated since 1776, was not a struggle of oppressed colonies held down by brutal British soldiers and subject to outrageous taxation by a tyrant, George III.
George III was not a tyrant, the tax burden of the colonists was actually less than that of citizens living in Britain, and the soldiers were the colonists best (in some cases only) defense against attacks by Indians.

(in reply to rogo727)
Post #: 52
RE: BIZARRE COINCIDENCE- JUNE 20 1941 - 2/22/2013 4:11:08 PM   
parusski

quote:

ORIGINAL: ckammp

quote:

quote:

quote:

Yes. Agreed.

quote:

quote:

Ummm...have. Thanks.

quote:

The United States government paid off all debts to the French government in 1795.

The American Revolution, contrary to the propaganda that has been endless repeated since 1776, was not a struggle of oppressed colonies held down by brutal British soldiers and subject to outrageous taxation by a tyrant, George III.
George III was not a tyrant, the tax burden of the colonists was actually less than that of citizens living in Britain, and the soldiers were the colonists best (in some cases only) defense against attacks by Indians.

What is your point? That the States really had no reason to want their own country?

(in reply to ckammp)
Post #: 53
RE: BIZARRE COINCIDENCE- JUNE 20 1941 - 2/22/2013 4:22:50 PM   
ckammp

quote:

ORIGINAL: parusski

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Yes. Agreed.

quote:

quote:

Ummm...have. Thanks.

quote:

What is your point? That the States really had no reason to want their own country?

For the vast majority of the colonists, no they didn't really have any reason to want their own country. A small group of liberal elitists and wealthy business owners decided that they wanted their own country, and through skillful use of propaganda (the "Boston Masscre" was a set-up event) combined with unpopular actions by the British government managed to whip up enough popular support to declare independence.

(in reply to parusski)
Post #: 54
RE: BIZARRE COINCIDENCE- JUNE 20 1941 - 2/22/2013 5:48:53 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

LOL! Yes, our beliefs of the last 236 years are entirely without reason. Down was up, black was white and clearly we didn't know how good we had it under the British yoke. Oh, if only we could take back that clearly unwarranted decision. Why, British rule was so popular that there were no American volunteer forces, excepting those ginned up by liberal elitists, business owners and propagandists. Remarkable revisionism.

Hey-can't we at least say that the people felt pretty compelled by events to (successfully) revolt openly against British rule? Or will you succumb to the unproven and illogical opinion that they only did it because they were brainwashed heathen?

(in reply to ckammp)
Post #: 55
RE: BIZARRE COINCIDENCE- JUNE 20 1941 - 2/22/2013 6:47:05 PM   
ckammp

quote:

quote:

LOL! Yes, our beliefs of the last 236 years are entirely without reason. Down was up, black was white and clearly we didn't know how good we had it under the British yoke. Oh, if only we could take back that clearly unwarranted decision. Why, British rule was so popular that there were no American volunteer forces, excepting those ginned up by liberal elitists, business owners and propagandists. Remarkable revisionism.

Hey-can't we at least say that the people felt pretty compelled by events to (successfully) revolt openly against British rule? Or will you succumb to the unproven and illogical opinion that they only did it because they were brainwashed heathen?

Only 40% of the colonists actively supported the rebellion, while 20% were active supporters of the British government; the rest were neutral. When 60% of the population either doesn't care or actively opposes a rebellion, it's not exactly accurate to say people were compelled to revolt, is it?
The fact is, it was a small number of elitest-led agitators whose actions led the British government to enact increasing unpopular measures in an attempt to regain control of the colonies. Once enough people, even if a minority, were upset enough to take up arms, the rebellion occurred.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 56
RE: BIZARRE COINCIDENCE- JUNE 20 1941 - 2/22/2013 7:46:04 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

The fact is, it was a small number of elitest-led agitators whose actions led the British government to enact increasing unpopular measures in an attempt to regain control of the colonies. Once enough people, even if a minority, were upset enough to take up arms, the rebellion occurred.

OK. By the same logical extension, you would have had an even smaller minority rule to stay under the British then. No elitists there in that bunch. So, there would have been a VERY small number of elitist-led agitators / loyalists whose actions fomented the status quo at the expense of independence if your descriptor held sway. I'm sure that they weren't manipulating public opinion towards the monarchy...

Something got those people upset enough to revolt. I'll not say that it was an elitist-led propaganda campaign to initiate, foment and sustain the revolt over several years. I'll give our forefathers the benefit of the doubt. Rather than ascribe their actions to psychological manipulation and brainless groupthink, I'll say that their rationale was solid for their time. Was is exclusively the elitist propaganda that shifted public opinion? Nope. The British brought it upon themselves with their unpopular and usurious laws too. Whoopsie-daisy.

(in reply to ckammp)
Post #: 57
RE: BIZARRE COINCIDENCE- JUNE 20 1941 - 2/22/2013 8:30:57 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: ezz

Really like the sand coloured CW units. Can actually see the numbers.
Are they sand in MWIF or still the blue?

warspite1

Blue - except you can read the ones in MWIF

(in reply to ezz)
Post #: 58
RE: BIZARRE COINCIDENCE- JUNE 20 1941 - 2/23/2013 12:38:13 AM   
parusski

ckammp regurgitates American Hater talking points

quote:

wealthy business owners

That says it all. Dear God. Do you or have you worked for a living? If so I want you to tell us, was your boss/people who paid you POOR??? I bet not. What am I implying? Duh, without wealthy business owners who the hell would pay people??

(in reply to ckammp)
Post #: 59
RE: BIZARRE COINCIDENCE- JUNE 20 1941 - 2/23/2013 3:50:57 AM   
Will_L

quote:

ORIGINAL: parusski

I can't imagine why no one realizes that SLAAKMAN is actually George W. Bush, according to many of a certain political BENT to be the most evil human to ever live. In 1551 S. Ambrose discovered Brazilian Peanut butter and that changed history. Everyone knows that all evil is rooted in something. Evil comes from THERE. I am not ranting. Go repair my toilet, it leaks urine from Barry Goldwater and Barrack Hussein Obummer. Hey, you kids get off my damned lawn. George Bush was given the presidency on the day of his birth, by Michael Corleone. And then I discovered someone had stolen my gold eagle coins to pay for SLAAKMAN's plastic surgery. Anyway, I hate ranting conspiracy nuts.

And here I thought he was Lyndon Larouche in disguise

(in reply to parusski)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: BIZARRE COINCIDENCE- JUNE 20 1941 Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI