MicroManagement Let's Play

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

StarLab

MicroManagement Let's Play

Post by StarLab »

Greetings everyone.

I thought I'd better start a dedicated thread for my Let's Play series on Youtube. I've noticed it mentioned in other threads so I thought I would create a place here for discussion rather than taking other threads off-topic.

I seem to be getting some good feedback, so thanks to everyone for that. [8D]

Keep in mind while watching that I am by NO MEANS a pro at this game. I've only owned the game for about 6 months. I would consider myself an intermediate player at best. I'm sure some of the veteran players will be laughing their ass off at some of my decisions. [:D]

Skill level aside, I've noticed that each LP I've watched has revealed a tasty nugget or two of info or technique that I had not previously considered. I hope my LP will provide the same to others.

At the time of this writing, I've recorded 33 1/2-hour episodes with no end in sight. Not sure how far I'll take this series but have been encouraged to keep it going by a couple viewers.

Thanks to those following to this point, and a big welcome to those about to start!

LINK TO PLAYLIST

EDIT: I should mention I'm using Haree78's DW Extended Mod and Martians GEM (Graphic Enhancement Mod)
Antiscamp

RE: MicroManagement Let's Play

Post by Antiscamp »

I started watching it from the start, and I really enjoy the series. I still have many episodes to go to catch up. I'm really looking forward to seeing all of it. Good job indeed!
StarLab

Post by StarLab »

ORIGINAL: Antiscamp

I started watching it from the start, and I really enjoy the series. I still have many episodes to go to catch up. I'm really looking forward to seeing all of it. Good job indeed!

Thanks. Keep in mind I'm more experience in the early-mid game. Things may fall apart after that point!
Antiscamp

Post by Antiscamp »

I'm not a really experienced player either, so superkudos to you for micro-managing the game in its finest details. That's something I've never dared do yet. [:)]

I'm a fan of Let's Plays and watch a lot of them. The best ones are the ones with a twist, like with your micro-managing the details. Also, the story is really important. That's why games like DW make for such good LP's too. The game creates a million stories and puts them together into one big epic. It's not important to be a powerplayer in an LP, I think, or even to win in the end, so don't worry about showing off efficiency-playing-skills, the story of it all is what makes it worth watching.

I've even been thinking about doing own LP's. In fact, I've got all the equipment for it setup and all. I just got involved with modding and haven't had the time really. Good luck! I'll be watching.
StarLab

Post by StarLab »

ORIGINAL: Antiscamp

I'm not a really experienced player either, so superkudos to you for micro-managing the game in its finest details. That's something I've never dared do yet. [:)]

I'm a fan of Let's Plays and watch a lot of them. The best ones are the ones with a twist, like with your micro-managing the details. Also, the story is really important. That's why games like DW make for such good LP's too. The game creates a million stories and puts them together into one big epic. It's not important to be a powerplayer in an LP, I think, or even to win in the end, so don't worry about showing off efficiency-playing-skills, the story of it all is what makes it worth watching.

I've even been thinking about doing own LP's. In fact, I've got all the equipment for it setup and all. I just got involved with modding and haven't had the time really. Good luck! I'll be watching.

I think Das said it best - "It's a space opera!" [:)]

And yes, it's all the little stories and sub-plots that make the DW universe seem alive and unique from game to game. It never gets boring for me - either playing or watching.

For instance, there is a HUGE difference between my LP stories and the stories unfolding in Das's current LP. (Das's is also a ton more exciting (action-wise) than mine atm! [;)])

I think I mention this a few times throughout my LP - I don't even care if I ever see a victory screen. It's the journey I'm more interested in. [:)]

Thanks for watching!
StarLab

Post by StarLab »

Sigh...

Rule #1 when recording a Let's Play: PLUG IN THE FREAKING MICROPHONE!!! [:@]

Just recorded an hour and a half (3 episodes) tonight with no narration. Basically just sat here talking to myself! Evening wasted. I'll have to re-record tomorrow night.

Worst part is I now have to revert my brain to 3 episodes ago. Maybe if I bang my head on the desk a few times I'll forget everything I did tonight... [:D]
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

Great job, Larry. Sorry to hear about the microphone glitch but I hope you keep these up, they are very helpful to new and experienced players.
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
StarLab

Post by StarLab »

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

Great job, Larry. Sorry to hear about the microphone glitch but I hope you keep these up, they are very helpful to new and experienced players.

Thanks, Erik. I noticed you updated your Video post to include a link to my playlist. I appreciate that. [:)]

The microphone issue wasn't really a glitch - more like a 'bonehead maneuver!' lol

I'm having good fun doing these. I think they're going to help my overall game too! Comments have been a great help toward that also.
Yskonyn

Post by Yskonyn »

I have said it on other occasions as well, but I wanted to thank you for doing these in the official thread as well. ;) so, thanks!!

If you arent using it yet, I would highly recommend BandiCam for recording. I found out about it by Das, but its a much better solution than Fraps indeed. BandiCam creates nice small filesizes with the 720p YouTube preset which results in a much lower taxing of your system. Performance stays great even when recording on the same IDE harddisk.

Just a tip worth noting.
Yskonyn -

Desktop: Intel i7 9700K @5.0Ghz, Nvidia RTX3080Ti, 32GB RAM, Win 11 64bit
Laptop: Acer Swift 3 Intel i7 1065G7, Nvidia MX350, 8GB RAM, Win 11 64 bit.
StarLab

Post by StarLab »

ORIGINAL: Yskonyn

I have said it on other occasions as well, but I wanted to thank you for doing these in the official thread as well. ;) so, thanks!!

If you arent using it yet, I would highly recommend BandiCam for recording. I found out about it by Das, but its a much better solution than Fraps indeed. BandiCam creates nice small filesizes with the 720p YouTube preset which results in a much lower taxing of your system. Performance stays great even when recording on the same IDE harddisk.

Just a tip worth noting.

You are very welcome. I did see your other thanks before creating this thread. So thanks again. :)

I am using Bandicam. (Fraps ignores the mouse pointer when in game) I had to make the decision between the license for Bandicam or a new microphone setup before I got going.

I'll look into a new microphone next month as this one gives a bit of hiss in the recordings. (Maybe the new one will plug itself in when I forget to do so! lol (reference to above post))
Yskonyn

Post by Yskonyn »

I don't notice the hiss too much. It certainly isn't anywhere near annoying.

I thought Fraps was pretty much the only solution for game recording, aside from a few obscure programs.
But now that I have used Bandicam, I think this will quickly become the favorite tool for LP-creators. Especially the better performance is pretty awesome. No more need for recording on a seperate harddisk (preferably SSD). Sound stays in sync too while recording and playing the game on the same HDD. Something that's impossible with Fraps on my system.

Yskonyn -

Pipewrench

Post by Pipewrench »

Great Video Larry but is the way of darkness really you? [;)]
“We are limited only by our imagination and our will to act.”
– Ron Garan
StarLab

Post by StarLab »

ORIGINAL: pipewrench

Great Video Larry but is the way of darkness really you? [;)]

Thanks Pipe!

<<--- Commodore Kosh says no to darkness! (He's also VERY nervous about the release of Shadows! [;)] )
StarLab

Post by StarLab »

[center]COMING SOON!
Let's Micromanage (Play) Distant Worlds Legends
Pt37 - RISE OF THE KESKUDONS
The Keskudons as they were meant to be played!

Coming to YouTube
2013.02.22[/center]
A very old race, from when the Galaxy was a lot hotter place to exist. Dark skinned reptiles, of average height but an outer skin that is almost as tough as stone.

Keskudons believe this Galaxy is their own, they claim to be the first race to have ventured in to the stars and were once settlers over the whole galaxy. They will not reveal why they appear to be just now appearing though. Keskudons see all other races as Trespassing, claiming rights on every system in the Galaxy.

Intelligent and very aggressive, Keskudons cannot be trusted as all other life is considered worthless, almost seen as an infection.

A slaver race the Keskudons military leaders are considered the most powerful and well respected of their race, how many slaves they own is an indication of power.

For these reasons Keskudons make very poor allies and are unlikely to seek any alliances other than to create a temporary cease fire to gather for an assault later.
In game terms this race is very powerful, some of the best troops in the game and intelligent gaining good research and they are happy to be at war for long periods. This power is offset by the fact that they have a dissatisfied populace and no-one likes them, they rarely make friends. Being arrogant they will often make war on too many fronts.
Keskudons are the most aggressive and war like of the Distant Worlds extended races.

A small teaser trailer for those following. Gonna turn up the heat a bit! :)
Yskonyn

Post by Yskonyn »

:D And I am only at part 5!
Yskonyn -

StarLab

Post by StarLab »

ORIGINAL: Yskonyn

:D And I am only at part 5!

Yeah... took me a while to get going. [:D]
Bingeling

Post by Bingeling »

The playlist looks a bit intimidating when considering starting on this [X(]
StarLab

Post by StarLab »

ORIGINAL: Bingeling

The playlist looks a bit intimidating when considering starting on this [X(]
Kind of realizing this.

Once I'm a little further in, I may create a table of contents of a sort...and post it in the OP...

EG:
Pt1-3: basic setup
Pt36: War begins,
Etc..etc...

Going to try to keep momentum going at this point to get this wrapped up.

Bingeling

Post by Bingeling »

But if I watch 4 hours each day, I will be fully updated in way less than a week...

Haree78

Post by Haree78 »

Thanks for this StarLab just started watching :)

Return to “After Action Reports”