Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Space Sim..this is the one I'm really interested in

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Space Sim..this is the one I'm really interested in Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Space Sim..this is the one I'm really interested in - 2/19/2013 11:11:21 AM   
wodin

Though Elute and SC are the two big hitters in development I think Rogue System is the one to watch.

He is really aiming at the Flight SIm crowd..with lots of depth in the ships and how they operate. As well as Flight Sim like Damage Modelling with all the depth that entails. It's a long road to get everything he wants done..but it's well worth backing I feel.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1298800608/rogue-system

"At a glance

Rogue System's prototype has been in the works for the last two years--the scratching of an "itch" I've had since I was 19, back in the heyday of the space-combat genre. Its goal is to combine the depth and fidelity of a complex flight simulator with the classic gameplay of the space combat genre to put the player fully in command of their ship. Systems are modeled individually and are dependent on each other for proper operation--if one system is damaged it adversely effects other systems that depend on it. It is fully “moddable"--almost every aspect of it can be changed to create a totally new experience. Finally, it is designed to enjoy a long life, with a full range of planned "Extension Modules" (expansions) to add open-ended gameplay, First-Person Shooter-style combat, "capital ship" command, and persistent Multiplayer."

< Message edited by wodin -- 2/19/2013 11:14:16 AM >

Post #: 1
RE: Space Sim..this is the one I'm really interested in - 2/19/2013 11:40:47 AM   
Neilster

"Though Elute and SC are the two big hitters in development..."

Elute is a space trading game based around musical instruments. You start of with a triangle and trade to buy flutes, xylophones etc. It's fascinating

Cheers, Neilster

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 2
RE: Space Sim..this is the one I'm really interested in - 2/19/2013 11:52:53 AM   
wodin

Damn typo!!

Good one Neilster

(in reply to Neilster)
Post #: 3
RE: Space Sim..this is the one I'm really interested in - 2/20/2013 10:08:45 PM   
DJflamethrower

I played Tachyon: The Fringe alot and this seems like it'll be sortof like that but far more complex.

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 4
RE: Space Sim..this is the one I'm really interested in - 2/20/2013 10:09:32 PM   
DJflamethrower

Seems cool, but I hope the combat will be as fast as Tachyon or faster.

(in reply to DJflamethrower)
Post #: 5
RE: Space Sim..this is the one I'm really interested in - 2/20/2013 10:18:54 PM   
DJflamethrower

Seems kinda lame that they're charging money for open beta testing though. Less ppl will open beta test it so there will be more glitches in the final product. It's like Microsoft operating systems... make ppl pay for it, THEN fix the glitches. Microsoft betas are pretty much closed, but they release before the bugs are fixed. I never buy a new windows right when it comes out because until they've patched it, the OS is glitchy as all hell.

Post #: 6
RE: Space Sim..this is the one I'm really interested in - 2/21/2013 12:39:39 AM   
wodin

Start up video...ten mins long.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nohF6uLkvvQ&feature=youtu.be

Post #: 7
RE: Space Sim..this is the one I'm really interested in - 2/21/2013 1:04:52 AM   
VPaulus

I'm still hesitant... He hasn't speak how the game will be in terms of trading, exploring, campaign, background story, etc... Will it be "just" a sandbox space combat simulator?
However this video was nice and did like the kind of detail presented.

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 8
RE: Space Sim..this is the one I'm really interested in - 2/21/2013 1:20:08 AM   
wodin

If you read the Kickstarter page he is going to make the game in stages..getting the core stuff done first as a scripted campaign that you can fly around in afterwards..things like trading and bounty hunting he is going to release a traders DLC and a Pirate DLC....eventually leading to a planet descent DLC and out of ship movement and combat etc.

He is obviously doing the right thing this way..also he seems dedicated and if enough buy into it I'm sure eventually it will be superb. I think for $30 it's worth the gamble..I do fear though he isn't going to reach the target due to Elite and SC taking all the space sim money, which would be a crying shame as they aren't going down the sim route like this is.

< Message edited by wodin -- 2/21/2013 1:21:21 AM >

(in reply to VPaulus)
Post #: 9
RE: Space Sim..this is the one I'm really interested in - 2/21/2013 1:42:49 AM   
VPaulus

Well yes, but I would like to know more specifics about those.. I'm still not sure in what kind of game this will turn out to be.

I agree that the timing is not the best, after SC and Elite campaigns. Not to mention X: Rebirth.

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 10
RE: Space Sim..this is the one I'm really interested in - 2/23/2013 9:12:21 PM   
wodin

Part 2...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cF2cW7ovAdU&feature=youtu.be

(in reply to VPaulus)
Post #: 11
RE: Space Sim..this is the one I'm really interested in - 2/24/2013 5:08:32 PM   
Perturabo

Have you guys heard about Pioneer? It's a moddable open source remake of Frontier First Encounters.

http://pioneerspacesim.net/

Without social solidarity manifested in the form of welfare state, people inhabiting one territory are a non-nation of mortal enemies engaged in competition for survival.

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 12
RE: Space Sim..this is the one I'm really interested in - 2/28/2013 6:16:49 PM   
wodin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hETLZvUSZE&feature=youtu.be

Final part of the take off procedure..superb stuff. Very sad as I really don't think he is going to make his target.

(in reply to Perturabo)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Space Sim..this is the one I'm really interested in Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI