Matrix Games Forums

Command gets Wargame of the Year EditionDeal of the Week: Pandora SeriesPandora: Eclipse of Nashira is now availableDistant Worlds Gets another updateHell is Approaching Deal of the Week Battle Academy Battle Academy 2 Out now!Legions of Steel ready for betaBattle Academy 2 gets trailers and Steam page!Deal of the Week Germany at War
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Richard Briers RIP

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: Richard Briers RIP Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Richard Briers RIP - 2/24/2013 6:41:50 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gary Childress

Hmmm. I can see where some feminists might not like the way women are portrayed in the shows but banning them seems a bit extreme.
warspite1

Shame the lefty sisterhood don't get properly angry at your average Rihanna video or Bratz dolls, because of course they are perfectly acceptable......

England expects that every man will do his duty - Horatio Nelson 1805.

(in reply to Gary Childress)
Post #: 31
RE: Richard Briers RIP - 2/24/2013 6:54:25 PM   
Gary Childress

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

quote:

Hmmm. I can see where some feminists might not like the way women are portrayed in the shows but banning them seems a bit extreme.
warspite1

Shame the lefty sisterhood don't get properly angry at your average Rihanna video or Bratz dolls, because of course they are perfectly acceptable......

Had to look up what a "Bratz doll" was, but this is something I found regarding them:

quote:

New concerns over the body image and lifestyle the Bratz dolls allegedly promote were raised by the American Psychological Association when they established their "Task Force on the Sexualization of Girls" in February 2007. In their published report, they cited concern over the adult-like sexuality the Bratz dolls allegedly portray.[2]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bratz

I'm sure there are feminists out there somewhere complaining about Bratz dolls. If not then they probably just slipped "under the radar" so to speak.

Favorites and/or other Great Games from Matrix :

1. War in the Pacific/ Admiral's Edition
2. Panzer Corps
3. Commander: Europe at War
4. John Tiller's Campaign Series

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 32
RE: Richard Briers RIP - 2/24/2013 7:09:38 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

quote:

warspite1

Had to look up what a "Bratz doll" was, but this is something I found regarding them:

quote:

New concerns over the body image and lifestyle the Bratz dolls allegedly promote were raised by the American Psychological Association when they established their "Task Force on the Sexualization of Girls" in February 2007. In their published report, they cited concern over the adult-like sexuality the Bratz dolls allegedly portray.[2]

I'm sure there are feminists out there somewhere complaining about Bratz dolls. If not then they probably just slipped "under the radar" so to speak.
warspite1

NO they have NOT just slipped under the radar - they have been selling, in large numbers, to little girls for years thanks to those "parents" to whom this sort of thing does not register as being damaging to their offspring.

Politicians go for the easy victories, the cheap wins. Attacking the likes of Benny Hill is easy - taking a stand on something like Bratz dolls is another matter - its not popular, you risk being seen as a prude, its all too damn difficult..... and not a vote winner, so why bother?

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 2/24/2013 7:14:08 PM >

Post #: 33
RE: Richard Briers RIP - 2/24/2013 7:26:33 PM   
Gary Childress

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

warspite1

quote:

warspite1

NO they have NOT just slipped under the radar - they have been selling, in large numbers, to little girls for years thanks to those "parents" to whom this sort of thing does register as being damaging to their offspring.

Politicians go for the easy victories, the cheap wins. Attacking the likes of Benny Hill is easy - taking a stand on something like Bratz dolls is another matter - its not popular, you risk being seen as a prude, its all too damn difficult..... and not a vote winner, so why bother?

In all fairness to feminists, it sounds like you're confusing politics now with feminism. I would bet there are serious feminists out there who object to Bratz dolls. I don't think feminism is some homogenous movement where everyone believes in the exact same things anyway. I'm sure there are some vocal self proclaimed "feminists" out there who think teen girls flaunting sexuality is a great thing, but most of the serious feminists I've ever encountered personally have been against such things that would encourage sexualization of young girls.

Of course Bratz dolls sound like a pretty booming business right now and money usually talks loudest. Benny Hill and Faulty Towers are probably low hanging fruit because they aren't booming mult-imillion dollor businesses. But that's pretty much the way many cheesy politicians work. They go with whoever can get them the most in campaign donations. But I wouldn't blame feminism for that.

2. Panzer Corps

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 34
RE: Richard Briers RIP - 2/24/2013 7:27:45 PM   
warspite1

One other thing while we are talking about warped values. As wargamers, we cannot officially play games showing the Swastika in case we all turn into neo-Nazis. However, you CAN buy Grand Theft Auto and steal cars, kill people blah blah blah...

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 35
RE: Richard Briers RIP - 2/24/2013 7:33:34 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

warspite1

quote:

warspite1

NO they have NOT just slipped under the radar - they have been selling, in large numbers, to little girls for years thanks to those "parents" to whom this sort of thing does register as being damaging to their offspring.

In all fairness to feminists, it sounds like you're confusing politics now with feminism. I would bet there are serious feminists out there who object to Bratz dolls. I don't think feminism is some homogenous movement where everyone believes in the exact same things anyway. I'm sure there are some vocal self proclaimed "feminists" out there who think teen girls flaunting sexuality is a great thing, but most of the serious feminists I've ever encountered personally have been against such things that would encourage sexualization of young girls.

Of course Bratz dolls sound like a pretty booming business right now and money usually talks loudest. Benny Hill and Faulty Towers are probably low hanging fruit because they aren't booming mult-imillion dollor businesses. But that's pretty much the way many cheesy politicians work. They go with whoever can get them the most in campaign donations. But I wouldn't blame feminism for that.
warspite1

No, no confusion - its all part of the same problem. You have high profile feminists like Germaine Greer. She should be shouting from the rooftops about mysoginistic rap lyrics, about female "pop" stars dressing as sluts, about the sexualisation of young girls through dolls like bratz. But I never hear her utter a word. Why? Because its too difficult, she doesn't want to lose her street cred. She is no different to the local spineless politician.

Post #: 36
RE: Richard Briers RIP - 2/24/2013 7:53:44 PM   
Gary Childress

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

warspite1

quote:

warspite1

warspite1

No, no confusion - its all part of the same problem. You have high profile feminists like Germaine Greer. She should be shouting from the rooftops about mysoginistic rap lyrics, about female "pop" stars dressing as sluts, about the sexualisation of young girls through dolls like bratz. But I never hear her utter a word. Why? Because its too difficult, she doesn't want to lose her street cred. She is no different to the local spineless politician.

Sounds like Greer is maybe more political opportunist than some. Again, to be fair to Feminists, Feminism isn't necessarily a homogenous movement where everyone believes the exact same thing on particular issues. Feminists argue with each other and critique each other's positions on issues just like all academics do. That Benny Hill is banned and Bratz dolls aren't probably has more to do with who has more or less political clout. Banning an old TV show for sexism is probably an easy way to say, "see I support feminism", banning Bratz dolls probably takes a bit more political gutz.

2. Panzer Corps

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 37
RE: Richard Briers RIP - 2/24/2013 8:00:14 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

warspite1

quote:

warspite1

warspite1

Sounds like Greer is maybe more political opportunist than some. Again, to be fair to Feminists, Feminism isn't necessarily a homogenous movement where everyone believes the exact same thing on particular issues. Feminists argue with each other and critique each other's positions on issues just like all academics do. That Benny Hill is banned and Bratz dolls aren't probably has more to do with who has more or less political clout. Banning an old TV show for sexism is probably an easy way to say, "see I support feminism", banning Bratz dolls probably takes a bit more political gutz.
warspite1

Exactement

Post #: 38
RE: Richard Briers RIP - 2/24/2013 8:39:26 PM   
parusski

quote:

One other thing while we are talking about warped values. As wargamers, we cannot officially play games showing the Swastika in case we all turn into neo-Nazis. However, you CAN buy Grand Theft Auto and steal cars, kill people blah blah blah...

Very good counter point war.

"I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast."- W.T. Sherman

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 39
RE: Richard Briers RIP - 2/24/2013 8:46:59 PM   
Gary Childress

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

warspite1

quote:

warspite1

warspite1

warspite1

Exactement

But yeah, I thought the Benny Hill show and Are You Being Served were first rate. Those are the ones I mostly watched (other than Dr. Who which I love also). So those are the shows I most know about and cherish. Personally I think if everything were ever sorted out, in the end, Benny Hill would closely rank up there with Shakespeare on the issue of sexuality. As you say the joke was always on Benny and the boys. Now a couple of the Benny Hill epilsodes seemed a bit gratuituous, like troupes of females in lingerie dancing on stage to music (which I personally enjoyed BTW ). But that was probably more like the show "jumping the shark" than anything else. Scantily clad females usually gathers a big audience easily. But I agree, Bratz appears to be a bit more serious to worry about. Doesn't look like a very good image for young girls to live up to. "Passion for fasion" (the words of the Bratz publicity folks), what a waste of brain cells.

2. Panzer Corps

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 40
RE: Richard Briers RIP - 2/25/2013 12:34:33 AM   
Zorch

I remember him as Bardolph in Branagh's Henry V, of which I cannot find a picture. Dr. Who will have to suffice.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 41
RE: Richard Briers RIP - 2/25/2013 3:24:21 AM   
J P Falcon

Damn...talk about a coincidence....I just watched Henry V last night!

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 42
RE: Richard Briers RIP - 3/18/2013 11:56:16 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: J P Falcon

Thanks Wodin..I think Frank Thorton and Nicholas Smith are the only two surviving cast members from Are You Being Served? I always enjoyed Thorton's work...
warspite1

Sadly no longer.....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-21828965

(in reply to J P Falcon)
Post #: 43
RE: Richard Briers RIP - 3/19/2013 12:40:19 AM   
sulla05

Yes, I just saw that in the news.

Windows 7 home premium 64
Intel quad core I7
6 Gb DD3
ATI 5800

Di! Ecce hora! Uxor mea me necabit!

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 44
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: Richard Briers RIP Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI