Matrix Games Forums

New Screenshots for Pike & ShotDeal of the Week Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations WOTYCommand: Modern Air/Naval Operations WOTY is now available!Frontline : The Longest Day Announced and in Beta!Command gets Wargame of the Year EditionDeal of the Week: Pandora SeriesPandora: Eclipse of Nashira is now availableDistant Worlds Gets another updateHell is Approaching Deal of the Week Battle Academy
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Soviet Generals in before they should be

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Tech Support >> Soviet Generals in before they should be Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Soviet Generals in before they should be - 2/17/2013 6:37:19 AM   
joel9507

Hello,

Running 1941 campaign, standard victory conditions, as Russians. Second turn I found a fairly good generals in a corps HQs I wanted to promote - Vasily Yushkevich of the 44th Rifle Corps.

Strangely he didn't show as available to promote into higher commands. So I went to look up on Commanders Reports leaders tab and he didn't show up there, either. When I went to look up his unit on the Commanders Report units tab, 44th Rifle Corps didn't show up. ?!?

Got a tip on the forum to fire up the editor and export CSVs to see what I could find about the guy. Turns out he shouldn't have been available until August 1941 but somehow was assigned to a unit at the start of the scenario. My guess is that is breaking the logic on the CR and promotion screens.

To test this, I saved the game and then put a different leader - one that the database expects to be there in June - into 44th Corps. Now, the 44th Corps shows up on Unit tab, and the new leader shows everywhere as expected. Yushkevich doesn't show anywhere. (haven't played through to August but I imagine he'll start showing up then.)

I went back and double checked other corps commanders and found several more stealth generals running Corps in the scenario that shouldn't have been in game, according to the csv data extract.

So, there are several bugs.

1) Some generals were assigned before the data says they should be available. It's not sure which is right - either the scenario creation was wrong to include them in at the start, or the database is wrong and should state first availability of June 1941.

2) The Commanders Report leaders tab should show all generals. The screen showing potential replacement generals when dismissing a leader should report all eligible generals in the game. Similarly, the CR units tab should show all the units. Apparently including a general that isn't supposed to be available yet breaks those functions.

Here is a list of the Soviet Corps leaders that were in game Jun 21 1941 in the 1941-45 campaign scenario that the database says shouldn't have been there until later:

id=====name=========unit at start===rank=============Unit (HHQ)===========availYear===availMonth
818_____Baranov________2568____Major General____23rd Rifle C (Trans Caucasus)__________1941_____7
859_____Dashichev_______2653____Major General____35th Rifle C (9th A)_________________1941_____7
875_____Fedyuninsky_____2803____Major General____15th Rifle C (5th A)__________________1941_____8
963_____Korovnikov______3154____Major General____12th C (8th A)____________________1941_____11
1064____Podlas_________3490____Major General____40 C (Stavka)_____________________1941_____8
917_____Yushkevich______3097____Major General____44th Rifle C (13th A)_________________1941_____8
1179____Zhmachenko____2088____Major General____67th Rifle C (Stavka)_________________1941_____11

< Message edited by joel9507 -- 2/17/2013 6:56:15 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: Soviet Generals in before they should be - 2/20/2013 1:28:56 PM   
jaw

This situation may not necessarily be an error per se. The way the data base is set up a leader is only listed as available from the date he was promoted to Major General (lowest rank in the game). It is possible these leaders were only coronels on June 22, 1941 but in command of the units in question and the scenario designer took the shortcut of putting them in command before the data base said they were available. If this supposition is correct we could "bend" history a little and make them Major Generals at the start of the game. I will discuss this situation with the scenario designer.

(in reply to joel9507)
Post #: 2
RE: Soviet Generals in before they should be - 2/20/2013 1:48:09 PM   
morvael

This is the same issue:
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3268213

Understandable from scenario designer position (he didn't want to enter false information and tried a workaround), but due to the way the engine works this requires a fix, because it's confusing to be able to find some leaders in one report but not in the other.

(in reply to jaw)
Post #: 3
RE: Soviet Generals in before they should be - 2/20/2013 1:48:54 PM   
morvael

And for the future in means a rank below MajGen should be introduced, if people with lower rank were in command positions.

(in reply to morvael)
Post #: 4
RE: Soviet Generals in before they should be - 2/20/2013 7:47:07 PM   
elmo3

Since there is already a bug report for leaders (BG0121), I have referenced this thread on the bug list for that report and will not make a new one for this.

We don't stop playing games because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing games - Anon.

WitE Alpha/Beta Tester

(in reply to morvael)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Tech Support >> Soviet Generals in before they should be Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI