Matrix Games Forums

Pandora: Eclipse of Nashira is now availableDistant Worlds Gets another updateHell is Approaching Deal of the Week Battle Academy Battle Academy 2 Out now!Legions of Steel ready for betaBattle Academy 2 gets trailers and Steam page!Deal of the Week Germany at WarSlitherine Group acquires Shenandoah StudioNew information and screenshots for Pike & Shot
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Am I doing well?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Am I doing well? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Am I doing well? - 2/17/2013 12:43:37 AM   
SwedenJens

I'm playing my first GC vs the AI. The date is 9/11 1941, turn 13.
Leningrad is cut off, I'm 3 hexes from Moscow, Kursk will fall in 1-2 turns, Kharkov is surrounded and will fall next turn. I get the feeling that the whole red army is
on the run around this area and there's no organized resistance. The advancement in the south is going slower but I'm closing in on Zaporozhye.
I have lost 283 468 Men (KIA and disabled) and 1396 tanks. Soviet has lost 2 655 414 men and 14776 tanks. The number of destroyed and disbanded units are 338.

Since Leningrad is surrounded I'm moving my panzer divisions from 4PG to AGM. To minimize my casualties I plan to starve the soviets out in Leningrad and not make any attacks on heavy forts until they're low on supplies. I'm not sure how to proceed on Moscow, I've read that it's difficult to hold when the blizzard starts.
I've put the max TOE on all -85 morale Infantry divisions to 90, the idea is to have a strong manpower pool when the blizzard comes, I don't know if this is a good move though.

Since it's my first GC I'm just curious, how well am I doing? And what would you do now? Should I stop my advance soon as the mud starts? Should I fight my way to Moscow or go on defense until spring 42? Any advice from you veterans is highly appreciated!
Post #: 1
RE: Am I doing well? - 2/17/2013 1:38:35 AM   
Disgruntled Veteran

You should attack until the turn before Blizzard. Blizzard is T25 I think or Dec 5...whenever that is. Use the mud time to move your rails forward and bring your units up to strength.

As far as Leningrad goes..you need to take to port city on the East bank of the isthmus to actually cut it off. If you don't your not actually doing it any harm.

If its possible I would do everything possible to take Moscow. Even if you lose it during Blizzard its a heavy blow to his manpower production.

Against the AI its hard to tell, but if your doing that well against a human than yes your doing very good.

(in reply to SwedenJens)
Post #: 2
RE: Am I doing well? - 2/17/2013 1:38:40 AM   
AFV

How are you doing is a relative term. Partly depends on what the settings are- since you did not mention them, I will assume they are normal, so you are doing average.

It is a strategic mistake not to take Leningrad out if you have the chance before winter. The casualties you save by not doing so will be paltry compared to the casualties you will save by having the Finns to help out during winter.

Take Moscow, even if you cannot hold it. Its worth it to take out the manpower center (even if they take it back, will take time to rebuild it).

(in reply to SwedenJens)
Post #: 3
RE: Am I doing well? - 2/17/2013 1:54:36 AM   
Balou

quote:

ORIGINAL: SwedenJens

I'm not sure how to proceed on Moscow, I've read that it's difficult to hold when the blizzard starts.

Against the AI it's not difficult, even under 1.06.25. The AI seldom attacks positions with an entrenchement level of 3 with units behind the frontline in reserve mode. Moreover, while December and January may be a nasty surprise for the Axis, the AI is very lazy during February.

(in reply to SwedenJens)
Post #: 4
RE: Am I doing well? - 2/17/2013 9:39:39 AM   
SwedenJens

Thanks for your answers. I will adjust my strategy to your recommendations. Can I also ask you about my TOE settings? As I said I put the low morale infantry divisions TOE to 90 (with some exceptions of course), security divsions to 70 and construction units to 80. I do this to get my manpower pool up. I read somewhere that Axis need a lot of manpower during the winter. When the blizzard starts I want to control where the replacements are sent. I don't want a full division suffer from attrition in a quite sector. What do you think about this?

(in reply to Balou)
Post #: 5
RE: Am I doing well? - 2/17/2013 9:52:17 AM   
DrewBlack

Hi

What are percentage levels for the AI you are playing?

Drew

(in reply to SwedenJens)
Post #: 6
RE: Am I doing well? - 2/17/2013 10:30:11 AM   
SwedenJens

Normal difficulty, 100 on all levels.

(in reply to DrewBlack)
Post #: 7
RE: Am I doing well? - 2/17/2013 3:07:08 PM   
DrewBlack

Hi

No offence meant as its only your first GC, 100% is a training level I would take what you have learnt in the first 13 turns or play through to the Blizzard and restart.

Crank the Ai Moral to 108% or even to 115-125% see what result you where you are after turn 13 then! ;-) Ai is more of a decent opponent at higher Moral levels I find.

Enjoy what you are doing and take it to the next level.

Drew

(in reply to SwedenJens)
Post #: 8
RE: Am I doing well? - 2/19/2013 11:45:45 PM   
AFV

I agree with Drew. You have gotten your feet wet, you should play till mud then start over and crank the difficulty level up. 110-90 is a good level to go to.

What you described for TOE settings makes sense- although in practice I think the more you mess with TOE, the worse the replacement system works. I won't bog this thread down with the replacement system- there are other threads for that. I never seem to have any issues with replacements, others have- and we really don't understand exactly how the replacement system works, so you can't get too scientific with it. And I think its WAD.

(in reply to DrewBlack)
Post #: 9
RE: Am I doing well? - 2/21/2013 10:38:44 PM   
SwedenJens

OK I appreciate your feedback. I think I'll play through the winter 41 against this easy AI, just to get some experience. After that I hope to find a PBEM opponent with equal experience.
Jens

(in reply to AFV)
Post #: 10
RE: Am I doing well? - 2/22/2013 12:02:37 AM   
Von Weber

quote:

Its worth it to take out the manpower center

Will it to have any influence on manpower by taking N/W Moscow. About 80 manpower points?

(in reply to SwedenJens)
Post #: 11
RE: Am I doing well? - 2/23/2013 2:49:57 PM   
AFV

It will have an effect, but its not a game changer. I'm not sure what you mean by N/W Moscow- the 3 Moscow hexes add up to 90 manpower points. I might be wrong but I think the Soviets have a total of about 3200 manpower points, so taking out Moscow, while significant (especially over time), alone, will not in itself cripple them.

(in reply to Von Weber)
Post #: 12
RE: Am I doing well? - 2/23/2013 6:17:29 PM   
Von Weber

Yes AFV you are right. I meaned all big Moscow with North and Western part + all subburbs with hard pronounced names and totally a bit over 100. It is about 3% not pretty much. But may be in perspective looking forward into 1943?It can cause manpower starvation when soviets have to attack all front long.

< Message edited by Von Weber -- 2/23/2013 6:19:27 PM >

(in reply to AFV)
Post #: 13
RE: Am I doing well? - 2/24/2013 6:47:34 AM   
cpt flam

even if that's not "much" about manpower
from experience the great need is the rail hub and capacity
this have a real effect

(in reply to Von Weber)
Post #: 14
RE: Am I doing well? - 2/24/2013 8:47:29 AM   
Balou

quote:

ORIGINAL: cpt flam

from experience the great need is the rail hub and capacity
this have a real effect

Can you or someone explain what the real effect is ? Less rail capacity ?

(in reply to cpt flam)
Post #: 15
RE: Am I doing well? - 2/26/2013 5:41:43 PM   
Von Weber

Less rails means the decreased possibility for moving units by rails to the front and between the fronts and also for factory evacuations. I don't remember how much is Moscow's railhub from total capacity in percents but with Leningrad and rail-yards captured during 1941 offensive it would be enough to decrease significantly the strategic movements for russian side. But I've never tried this even with AI

(in reply to Balou)
Post #: 16
RE: Am I doing well? - 2/27/2013 9:16:09 AM   
cpt flam

not only capacity
you'd better look how much rail go there
if moscow fall as russian troop must travel at least 2 weeks instead of 1

(in reply to Von Weber)
Post #: 17
RE: Am I doing well? - 2/28/2013 2:34:27 PM   
Von Weber

It depends from where and in what direction.Actually I don't argue but can yo give some examples

(in reply to cpt flam)
Post #: 18
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Am I doing well? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI