Matrix Games Forums

New Screenshots for Pike & ShotDeal of the Week Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations WOTYCommand: Modern Air/Naval Operations WOTY is now available!Frontline : The Longest Day Announced and in Beta!Command gets Wargame of the Year EditionDeal of the Week: Pandora SeriesPandora: Eclipse of Nashira is now availableDistant Worlds Gets another updateHell is Approaching Deal of the Week Battle Academy
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Name that ship...

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: Name that ship... Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Name that ship... - 2/16/2013 11:35:22 PM   
wdolson

Wow a "guess this" thread that isn't over in 5 minutes. I'm impressed.

I'm no expert on the minutiae of ships, so I'll leave the guesses to the old salts.

Bill

WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 31
RE: Name that ship... - 2/17/2013 12:08:01 AM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

ORIGINAL: aphrochine

USS North Carolina??

The pic is from a museum I think.

The Moose

(in reply to aphrochine)
Post #: 32
RE: Name that ship... - 2/17/2013 12:52:17 AM   
Justus2

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: aphrochine

USS North Carolina??

Nein.

Nein? So it's a German ship, eh?...

Currently Playing:
War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition (learning, not really playing ;) )
LST 325 Fanboy!

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 33
RE: Name that ship... - 2/17/2013 12:53:30 AM   
AW1Steve

It looks like the Mock up cruiser in the photo's at the Fredricksburg Naval Museum. So technically it's not a real cruiser.

"Geezerhood is a state of mind, attained by being largely out of yours". AW1Steve

"Quit whining and play the game. Or go home". My 7th grade baseball coach. It applies well to WITP AE players.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 34
RE: Name that ship... - 2/17/2013 1:02:41 AM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: AW1Steve

It looks like the Mock up cruiser in the photo's at the Fredricksburg Naval Museum. So technically it's not a real cruiser.

Technically, that's not a real guess.

< Message edited by Chickenboy -- 2/17/2013 1:06:18 AM >

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 35
RE: Name that ship... - 2/17/2013 1:10:15 AM   
AW1Steve

So you are saying that's a real honest to God warship? Then I'll guess a MSO.

"Geezerhood is a state of mind, attained by being largely out of yours". AW1Steve

"Quit whining and play the game. Or go home". My 7th grade baseball coach. It applies well to WITP AE players.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 36
RE: Name that ship... - 2/17/2013 1:19:50 AM   
Chickenboy

quote:

So you are saying that's a real honest to God warship? Then I'll guess a MSO.

The picture that I cropped is from a real honest to God warship. What's an MSO?

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 37
RE: Name that ship... - 2/17/2013 1:24:47 AM   
AW1Steve

Mine sweeper ocean. As in Affray or Adroit class.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 38
RE: Name that ship... - 2/17/2013 1:25:25 AM   
Chickenboy

quote:

Mine sweeper ocean. As in Affray or Adroit class.

Interesting guess. No.

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 39
RE: Name that ship... - 2/17/2013 2:39:03 AM   
jeffk3510

SS Meteor?

I realize this isn't a "warship", but it appears you took those pics...and this ship is close to you..

< Message edited by jeffk3510 -- 2/17/2013 2:45:11 AM >

Follow our WiTPAE team PBEM game against bilbow and hartwig.modrow http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2965846&mpage=1&key=?

Follow my WITPAE PBEM game against Schanilec. http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3495605

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 40
RE: Name that ship... - 2/17/2013 3:13:30 AM   
Colonel Mustard

What is the cropped photo? It looks to me to be an armored conning tower, which would probably make it a BB or CA. Someone mentioned the round windows making it an earlier model ship. It doesn't have to be US, but I looked at Renown class and they have square portholes. Bismark didn't appear to have a round tower like that. Nor does the British Rodney class.

What are the earlier classes of US ships?

"It's all according to how your boogaloo situation stands, you understand."

(in reply to jeffk3510)
Post #: 41
RE: Name that ship... - 2/17/2013 3:35:46 AM   
wdolson

The interior shots look like modern pictures, so I think it is a preserved ship, or part of one.

The interior shots also look like a fairly wide bridge and it has the look of a USN bridge to me (though I could be wrong). The width would make it a cruiser or BB, though the exterior shot did not look like a BB.

Of course it may be something completely different like a preserved Liberty ship or something.

Bill

(in reply to Colonel Mustard)
Post #: 42
RE: Name that ship... - 2/17/2013 4:37:33 AM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: jeffk3510

SS Meteor?

No.

(in reply to jeffk3510)
Post #: 43
RE: Name that ship... - 2/17/2013 4:53:36 AM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: wdolson

The interior shots look like modern pictures, so I think it is a preserved ship, or part of one.

The interior shots also look like a fairly wide bridge and it has the look of a USN bridge to me (though I could be wrong). The width would make it a cruiser or BB, though the exterior shot did not look like a BB.

Of course it may be something completely different like a preserved Liberty ship or something.

Bill

So-Bill, lemme see if I get this. It COULD be USN, but you could be wrong. The width suggest BB or CA, but it didn't look like the former. It could be a warship or a liberty ship or something else entirely unrelated. Is that the gist of your guess?

I'll have to ask you to be more specific.

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 44
RE: Name that ship... - 2/17/2013 5:23:35 AM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

Bill

The cropped picture is from a real ship. The photos CB posted are a recreation in a museum. Tha's not a real bridge. IT's far too spare of ancillary wiring, pipes, bulkhead fixtures, etc. They put a binnacle, an dEOT< and a helm in a room, built some bulkheads, hung a phone and called it a bridge.

I'd guess the museum in Texas CB has poste dother pix from.

Cleveland-class CL.

The Moose

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 45
RE: Name that ship... - 2/17/2013 9:45:16 AM   
oldman45

I think its too small for a light cruiser, its more a mock up of a DD. Don't ask for any more specifics.

Then again, the cropped picture looks like a CL.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 46
RE: Name that ship... - 2/17/2013 1:53:45 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58

Cleveland-class CL.

Yes. (Finally!)

It's a re-creation of the bridge of Cl Denver (Cl-58) from the Battle of Surigao Strait. Here's the picture that accompanied the museum display of Denver. Note the view of the PILOT HOUSE and aft.

ETA: Anyone have interior pix from a 'real' Cleveland-class Cl for comparatives? Would be interesting to see how much more or less congested this thing is vs. real life. I think it's obvious that the shape is consistent with RL, as were the portholes / porthole fittings. What about the rest?

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Chickenboy -- 2/17/2013 2:01:03 PM >

(in reply to Bullwinkle58)
Post #: 47
RE: Name that ship... - 2/17/2013 2:35:47 PM   
oldman45

Look at that, they call it a pilot house. I sure thought the interior shots were too small.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 48
RE: Name that ship... - 2/17/2013 4:22:41 PM   
Cap Mandrake

Pretty impressive anyone can get that.

Not much room on Denver for anything else, is there?

(in reply to oldman45)
Post #: 49
RE: Name that ship... - 2/17/2013 5:44:08 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

ORIGINAL: oldman45

Look at that, they call it a pilot house. I sure thought the interior shots were too small.

They're Texans. What would you expect? It's wrong.

Think of it this way--the chair in the photos is the CO's chair. Nobody, and I mean NOBODY, ever sits in it but him. Is he a "pilot." Nope.

I actually don't know the exact nautical demarkation line between "bridge" and "pilot house." A tugboat has the latter. A cruiser has the former. Generally speaking I would never use "pilot house" for a warship. It's a merchant term. That said, I don't know what they call the thing in a commissioned fleet tug (i.e. USS Towyahome).

Warships take on pilots when entering or leaving port from pilot boats (leaving they come on by means of the the brow (not "gangplank"), but leave by boat obviously.) But they are respected guests, not part of the family. They don't get their own space on a warship in a way a flag officer does, say. They're on-board for an hour or so, and they leave.

< Message edited by Bullwinkle58 -- 2/17/2013 5:46:24 PM >

The Moose

(in reply to oldman45)
Post #: 50
RE: Name that ship... - 2/17/2013 8:52:05 PM   
oldman45

When serving onboard ships I have heard it called both pilot house and bridge. Never thought about what the correct term was. I do remember a story about a seaman that decided to plop down in the captains chair......

(in reply to Bullwinkle58)
Post #: 51
RE: Name that ship... - 2/17/2013 9:34:54 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

When serving onboard ships I have heard it called both pilot house and bridge.

Well, apparently all the sailors that called it the former were wrong. They should have checked with Bullwinkle before using the wrong terms.

(in reply to oldman45)
Post #: 52
RE: Name that ship... - 2/17/2013 10:13:56 PM   
msieving1

quote:

When serving onboard ships I have heard it called both pilot house and bridge. Never thought about what the correct term was. I do remember a story about a seaman that decided to plop down in the captains chair......

The Booklet of General Plans for USS Miami CL-89 calls it the Pilot House.
http://www.hnsa.org/doc/plans/cl89.pdf

See Plans No. 4 and 6. The entire level of the superstructure on which the Pilot hose is located is called the Navigation Bridge, with the Flag Bridge below. The plans show a configuration with an open walkway around the Pilot House. The photo in this thread shows an alternative configuration, with the walkway in front removed.

< Message edited by msieving1 -- 2/17/2013 10:27:14 PM >

(in reply to oldman45)
Post #: 53
RE: Name that ship... - 2/17/2013 10:14:39 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

quote:

When serving onboard ships I have heard it called both pilot house and bridge.

Well, apparently all the sailors that called it the former were wrong. They should have checked with Bullwinkle before using the wrong terms.

Or Wikipedia.

The Moose

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 54
RE: Name that ship... - 2/17/2013 10:23:07 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: msieving1

Well, apparently they're wrong too! How dare they use terms that aren't approved by Bullwinkle58 (or Wikipedia)! My goodness-the temerity.

(in reply to msieving1)
Post #: 55
RE: Name that ship... - 2/17/2013 10:24:30 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

quote:

See Plans No. 4 and 6. The entire level of the superstructure on which the Pilot hose is located is called the Navigation Bridge, with the Flag Bridge below. The plans show the original configuration, with an open walkway around the Pilot House. The photo in this thread shows a later configuration, with the walkway in front removed.

Great diagram link, msieving1. How on Earth did you find this?

(in reply to msieving1)
Post #: 56
RE: Name that ship... - 2/17/2013 10:34:52 PM   
wdolson

quote:

Bill

quote:

So-Bill, lemme see if I get this. It COULD be USN, but you could be wrong. The width suggest BB or CA, but it didn't look like the former. It could be a warship or a liberty ship or something else entirely unrelated. Is that the gist of your guess?

I'll have to ask you to be more specific.

Never said it was a real guess. I was just running through the evidence. I didn't mention the fan in the corner looked USN.

Bill

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 57
RE: Name that ship... - 2/17/2013 10:35:07 PM   
msieving1

quote:

quote:

quote:

See Plans No. 4 and 6. The entire level of the superstructure on which the Pilot hose is located is called the Navigation Bridge, with the Flag Bridge below. The plans show the original configuration, with an open walkway around the Pilot House. The photo in this thread shows a later configuration, with the walkway in front removed.

Great diagram link, msieving1. How on Earth did you find this?

I ran across the Historic Naval Ships Association website a few years ago. Someone else recently posted a link to them. They have plans for many WW2 USN ships, from Essex class CVs to Liberty ships. They also have technical manuals and other documentation. It's really an amazing site.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 58
RE: Name that ship... - 2/17/2013 10:36:15 PM   
crsutton

OK,

Twenty questions?

1. Is it American?

"Crap, I did not even realize there was a page two to this thread"
Never mind.....

< Message edited by crsutton -- 2/17/2013 10:38:20 PM >

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 59
RE: Name that ship... - 2/17/2013 10:38:06 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

quote:

See Plans No. 4 and 6. The entire level of the superstructure on which the Pilot hose is located is called the Navigation Bridge, with the Flag Bridge below. The plans show a configuration with an open walkway around the Pilot House. The photo in this thread shows an alternative configuration, with the walkway in front removed.

Interesting.

The pilot house is a named compartment in the navigation bridge in these plans. Normally a navigation bridge is a combined structure, sometimes several contiguous non-watertight compartments containing the conning gear (helm, EOT, binnacles), the chart table, radar PPIs, sometimes a small comm room, bridge wings which hold the peloruses, and other, such as the Captain's sea cabin. The navigation bridge is often one of several bridges on larger warships, including the flag bridge (where the admiral, if any, keeps an eye on the CO), and the signal bridge, where the flag hoists reside.

However . . .

in Plan 5, the title of which is "Bridges", the space in question is not called the pilot house but the _____ Bridge. It is the same space because it shows port and starboard gyrorepeaters, which are in the same space as the wheel. The word above "Bridge" is smeared and faded. I make it out as either "Open" or "Main", with Open more likely.

The Moose

(in reply to msieving1)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: Name that ship... Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI